Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CT's Stories - Another Legacy - Quinn's Family Journal - 03/16/2024

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    It's almost finals for Marigold! Whisper 2.27
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Marigold's last two days at college (this time around): Whisper 2.28 and Whisper 2.29

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Here's a new story I've just started based on a YOTO (Youth On Their Own) challenge. Hope you enjoy! Shift 1: Far Away

I'm also going to be featuring a.sexual Sims from my stories this week as part of A.sexual Awareness Week. You can read the kickoff post here.

• Options
    Here's the second chapter of Shift! Shift 2: Haven

And... our first AAW profile Sim is Honey Walker! Aimless: AAW - Honey Walker

• Options
    Third chapter of Shift! Shift 3: Others

And the second AAW profile of onezero Adams: Aimless: AAW - onezero Adams

• Options
    And our third AAW profile... Aimless: AAW - Charlie Rocca Cups

• Options
    Here's the fourth profile, the TS3 University premade, Shannon Arkers! Aimless: AAW - Shannon Arkers

• Options
    The final post for A.sexual Awareness Week looks at all the other ace Sims in my stories... Aimless: AAW - And More!

• Options
    Let's check back in with Jenny Trevalyn - Shift 4: Not a Boy

• Options
    CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited October 2016
    I really enjoyed the AAW posts very Insightful. I'll be honest I didn't really know very much about it but I feel I've gained a little understanding reading about yours and the characters experiences. Thank you. Very well done :)
    And Jenny Trevalyn Another well written story with a character you cant help but love.
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

• Options
    @Charliimai Thanks! :)@mastressalita also wrote a short story for AAW, which you can find here, Play Your Ace.

I'm glad you're enjoying Shift, too. I'm having so much fun with this--it's really capturing my imagination. At some point, she'll find herself in the city.

I'm looking forward to your city story, too! :)

• Options
    @Pegasus143 I'm enjoying reading comments on "Shift." Several readers are reporting that they thought that Jenny was a boy. I'm interested to know what you thought about her gender when you first read the early chapters, Mackie.

• Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Well, since you called... ( ;) )
    Jenny seemed really familiar in a way, and I couldn't exactly pinpoint why until this latest chapter when I realized that I was practically looking in a mirror.
    When I first saw her, I noticed that she was using masculine CAS parts but had a female body, so my first instinct was to check which pronouns you were using. I was pretty curious about where you were going to take it- was she choosing to dress this way out of necessity or because she felt more comfortable this way?- and her feeling very comfortable this way also influenced my perception of her gender.
    There's a couple different ways I could see it just based on the first few chapters- the first being a female with a more masculine gender expression (aka something similar to what a lot of people know as a tomboy) or some variant of gender fluidity. I'm interested in hearing some more stories from her past, as well as seeing her perception of herself over the course of the whole story, so I can get a better picture of what her gender is (and isn't).
  • Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    Well, since you called... ( ;) )
    Jenny seemed really familiar in a way, and I couldn't exactly pinpoint why until this latest chapter when I realized that I was practically looking in a mirror.
    When I first saw her, I noticed that she was using masculine CAS parts but had a female body, so my first instinct was to check which pronouns you were using. I was pretty curious about where you were going to take it- was she choosing to dress this way out of necessity or because she felt more comfortable this way?- and her feeling very comfortable this way also influenced my perception of her gender.
    There's a couple different ways I could see it just based on the first few chapters- the first being a female with a more masculine gender expression (aka something similar to what a lot of people know as a tomboy) or some variant of gender fluidity. I'm interested in hearing some more stories from her past, as well as seeing her perception of herself over the course of the whole story, so I can get a better picture of what her gender is (and isn't).

Oh, I love hearing your responses!

So, from a Sim perspective, she is a female with male hair (she's got Paolo's hair, which is also my current favorite hairstyle for my Simself). And she wears male clothes. Aside from that, she's female.

Did you know that the male clothes change the way a female Sim's body looks?
    I had the idea to have her dress in male Day of the Dead clothes to try to pass as male, if she spies someone from home there at the park and needs to hide. The game doesn't seem to be taking it in that direction, so I'm not sure if I'll need to have her try to hide...

She also hasn't yet revealed her orientation to me (these types of decisions, for me, always come from the Sim--so it's more a matter of me watching to see who she is than me deciding if she's straight or not).

I think I'll do some research on masculine gender expression and gender fluidity. Do you have favorite web resources for this?

• Options
    KittybitKittybit Posts: 97 Member
    edited October 2016
    Can I just express how proud I am that you're writing Shift and addressing sexuality and diversity within gender expression? I have a friend who has gone through a long period trying to label herself before finally giving up. I completely supported that because labels are often just that: labels and it can be hard to stick a person into a cookie cutter label. I just wanted to point you in the direction of this website http://www.genderdiversity.org/resources/terminology/ if you wanted to take a look at if? It has some terminology, although very brief. It was my friend who directed me to it and I found it insightful despite how brief it is.

My friend went through a period where she wanted to be called she and her, then she didn't really want to be called him or her, so we always referred to her by name only. It was a bit tricky because we're programmed to call people by pronouns. Instead of saying things like "what is she/he going to do?" "Is she/he coming?" we switched to name only. She goes by masculine pronouns recently and I'm in the process of trying to remember that when I'm speaking to her. As you can see, I'm still using feminine pronouns when I'm talking about her in third person.

I'm really growing to love your story more and more for each chapter. I'll be commenting on your blog tomorrow when I'm back on my laptop and don't have to use my phone. :) I love diversity and it's so great to read Shift! I can't wait to follow her story as she explores her orientation and discovers more about herself.
    banner.png
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Gender Expression Note: this one is a video, and the guy does swear once in the intro, but it's the first place where I learned about this topic.
    Gender Fluid: the first four responses here talk a bit more about what it's like to be gender fluid, which I think is important to have an understanding of as well as a definition.
  • Options
    Hi! Here's a story I wrote for @Rorygilmore34 's #spookycollab: Rebobs

For more of this awesome event, check out her collab playlist!

This story brought back a lot of memories for me. The little girl and her brother are based on me and my brother, and the legend and news story were inspired by a local legend and local news stories during the era when I grew up (1960s/70s) in Northern California. Spooky!

• Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    Gender Expression Note: this one is a video, and the guy does swear once in the intro, but it's the first place where I learned about this topic.
    Gender Fluid: the first four responses here talk a bit more about what it's like to be gender fluid, which I think is important to have an understanding of as well as a definition.

I really love the video and the Gender Fluid post! Jake Edwards is wonderful! :)

And when I read this
    I have a dream, one day, to be consistently gendered female while wearing menswear.

in the Gender Fluid post, I realized, "Well, yes. That was my dream when I was growing up" and now I've achieved it.

When I was a little girl, I got to wear my brother's hand-me-downs, and I was in heaven! Then as I got older, I was only given my sister's hand-me-downs and my mom refused to let me buy boy's clothes--not even jeans! I was so envious of my cousins' cousins who got to wear Levi's 501 jeans. For my 12th birthday, my aunt took me shopping for my birthday for back-to-school clothes. When she asked what I wanted, I felt really embarrassed and ashamed, but I whispered that I wanted to buy "boys' clothes." I was so shocked--and SO liberated--when she let me! Wow! I loved the pants and sweater-shirt we bought and felt so great every time I wore them!

Now, lucky me, I wear men's clothes and shoes predominantly. I will wear women's t-shirts, and I really like the feeling of being femme in menswear. THAT's me! The few times I've ever had to wear dresses or make-up for dance or music performances during the past decade, I've felt that I was in drag. It was weird, and I was really embarrassed to have anyone see me.

What I really like is that when I dress for the office in the morning, wearing men's Levi's corduroys and a men's polo shirt, my boyfriend will tell me that I look nice! :)
    Kittybit wrote: »
    Can I just express how proud I am that you're writing Shift and addressing sexuality and diversity within gender expression? I have a friend who has gone through a long period trying to label herself before finally giving up. I completely supported that because labels are often just that: labels and it can be hard to stick a person into a cookie cutter label. I just wanted to point you in the direction of this website http://www.genderdiversity.org/resources/terminology/ if you wanted to take a look at if? It has some terminology, although very brief. It was my friend who directed me to it and I found it insightful despite how brief it is.

My friend went through a period where she wanted to be called she and her, then she didn't really want to be called him or her, so we always referred to her by name only. It was a bit tricky because we're programmed to call people by pronouns. Instead of saying things like "what is she/he going to do?" "Is she/he coming?" we switched to name only. She goes by masculine pronouns recently and I'm in the process of trying to remember that when I'm speaking to her. As you can see, I'm still using feminine pronouns when I'm talking about her in third person.

I'm really growing to love your story more and more for each chapter. I'll be commenting on your blog tomorrow when I'm back on my laptop and don't have to use my phone. :) I love diversity and it's so great to read Shift! I can't wait to follow her story as she explores her orientation and discovers more about herself.

Thanks so much for your kind comments! I'm happy that you're enjoying and appreciating the story and the themes. I'm finding myself enjoying writing it so very much! I think it must be presenting things that I want to explore.

I love hearing about your friend.

Thanks for that web link, too! I came across it last night when I was googling, also, and I really liked it! I'm glad that you're recommending it also--helps me know that it's a credible source.

So much of my storytelling comes from the way the Sims and the game itself present thematic material--I am interested, also, in seeing what develops!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! :)

• Options
    I finally have a new chapter of Whisper, with several more all screenshot and waiting for words!

Whisper 2.30

• Options
    And here's a new Shift chapter, Shift 5: Tapas

• Options
    I wasn't sure whether to leave my comment for your latest chapter here or on the actually challenge thread. I posted it over there, but I'm thinking I'll do it here in the future?
    banner.png
  • Options
    Kittybit wrote: »
    I wasn't sure whether to leave my comment for your latest chapter here or on the actually challenge thread. I posted it over there, but I'm thinking I'll do it here in the future?

Either works for me ! The thread seems good for conversations and the blog is great if you're in a reading mode and don't want to pop back here !

• Options
    And... another Whisper chapter! Oh, I love happy chapters! :)

Whisper 2.31

• Options
    Ok! Here I am with the next Shift chapter! Shift 6: Squatter

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I was so excited when I got the update notification!
    I really like Yuki. Just the hair itself speaks of personality lol. Also I am in love with this sentence "She told me she likes my style. I’m not surprised." It tells me that Jenny has some confidence in herself, perhaps a new found one since she left her home? She is swanky for sure. ;)
    banner.png