Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changing UI Size is Possible

I made a thread when the game first came out about the UI being a little too big for my tastes and was wondering if there was a way to shrink it. Well yesterday I stumbled across exactly what I needed, and it's a super simple change without the need of a mod. Here are the before and after shots.
tumblr_niabqrMfop1rzq92mo1_1280.png
tumblr_niabqrMfop1rzq92mo2_1280.png

The thread explaining how to change it can be found HERE at modthesims. And like I said, it's super easy. You just need to locate a single file and change one number it. The smaller the number the bigger the UI, the bigger the number the smaller the UI. I have mine set to 120, which I think is perfect.
Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

Comments

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Pretty cool, thanks for sharing! :)
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Welcome. :D This should be really useful for people with super high resolution screens as I've seen some of their UIs and they're barely readable.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Thanks for sharing with us =) its a cool mod for those who can use it lol, I would never be able to just because its too small and my eyes stink. That is one of the reasons why I hate playing big families lol
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    I made a thread when the game first came out about the UI being a little too big for my tastes and was wondering if there was a way to shrink it. Well yesterday I stumbled across exactly what I needed, and it's a super simple change without the need of a mod. Here are the before and after shots.

The thread explaining how to change it can be found HERE at modthesims. And like I said, it's super easy. You just need to locate a single file and change one number it. The smaller the number the bigger the UI, the bigger the number the smaller the UI. I have mine set to 120, which I think is perfect.

The size of UI depends on which resolution you are playing as just change your res.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Hmm that could come in handy.
    I noticed on my new laptop that the UI seemed different than on the previous one.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The size of UI depends on which resolution you are playing as just change your res.

My resolution is as high as it goes and the UI was still too big for my preferences. Other people with super high resolutions can barely see their UI it's so tiny. They shouldn't have to change their resolution to get their preferred UI size, and now they don't have to.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    mikeedudemikeedude Posts: 21 New Member
    Thanks for sharing that ,its something that's bugged me since I first started up the game. Time to go experiment....
  • Options

My resolution is as high as it goes and the UI was still too big for my preferences. Other people with super high resolutions can barely see their UI it's so tiny. They shouldn't have to change their resolution to get their preferred UI size, and now they don't have to.

Yeah I wrote something more elaborate but I changed it :p I think it was too elaborate for the thread xD either way, I play in 1920x1080 UI is fine in my opinion, devs shouldn't mess with it, and now that modders accessed the UI size changing coding in the graphics file, it's fine.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Yeah I wrote something more elaborate but I changed it :p I think it was too elaborate for the thread xD either way, I play in 1920x1080 UI is fine in my opinion, devs shouldn't mess with it, and now that modders accessed the UI size changing coding in the graphics file, it's fine.

So I take it yours doesn't look like this persons did when the game first came out and no one knew about the ability to change it? ahaha
    33oiptz.jpg
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    edited January 2015

So I take it yours doesn't look like this persons did when the game first came out and no one knew about the ability to change it? ahaha
    33oiptz.jpg

No like I said I play in 1920x1080 -.- to me the UI size is fine in that res and changing it permaneltly will affect all other resolutions and it may result in a bad experience, it will afect everyone, they can't just make it smaller for you permanently without making it smaller for everyone, why bother devs with something trivial like this now that there is a way of you to change it through accessing the game files? There are far more important stuff for them to do and worry like the free updates with the content we so much need, as in really need.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2015

33oiptz.jpg

No like I said I play in 1920x1080 -.- to me the UI size is fine in that res and changing it permaneltly will affect all other resolutions and it may result in a bad experience, it will afect everyone, they can't just make it smaller for you permanently without making it smaller for everyone, why bother devs with something trivial like this now that there is a way of you to change it through accessing the game files? There are far more important stuff for them to do and worry like the free updates with the content we so much need, as in really need.

I'm not bothering the devs and asking them for a fix though. I don't know where you came to that conclusion. I posted this so people knew how to change it on their own since there's not a fix for it. But even so, if I wanted to ask the devs to make a fix for it I could seeing s it's a pretty big deal since few people know about this fix and it makes it extremely hard for them to play it as is.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm not bothering the devs and asking them for a fix though. I don't know where you came to that conclusion. I posted this so people knew how to change it on their own since there's not a fix for it. But even so, if I wanted to ask the devs to make a fix for it I could seeing s it's a pretty big deal since few people know about this fix and it makes it extremely hard for them to play it as is.

I know like... just forget it.... :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lol ok, I don't know why you're so angry all of the sudden, but whatever. Have a great day.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    Lol ok, I don't know why you're so angry all of the sudden, but whatever. Have a great day.

I'm not angry lol, anyways... have a great day to you too @Wilderwolf , mine is almost ending, weekends, they go away so fast :s
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Great thread, thanks for the tip :)
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Nice find. Ta :)

Don't suppose you found a way to hide the UI and just keep the thought and speech bubbles as well whilst on your travels?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    No I haven't, but it also wasn't on my radar to look for. But I'll keep an eye out for it now.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Because I am old and diabetic, I needed a larger UI so I set mine to 80. Helps to see the design of objects when I choose the swatches.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I have a 27" monitor so it doesn't seem big at all on it.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Thanks!! I tried this out and it is definitely an improvement. I had to fiddle around with mine because the texts was getting blurry. I ended up using 105 and it looks better.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah it would be nice if the UI with the Sim and the mood they are in would be smaller. Tab works wonders in hiding it to take pictures. I really wish the top right UI could have some added features like rotating and zooming out that the last three base games had.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    Thank you for this!!
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    philkewleyphilkewley Posts: 552 Member
    don't suppose there's a way to reposition the UI, I am on 42" tv and moving across the screen from bottom left to top right is exhausting! if only I could get everything down to the bottom.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited February 2015
    This is a life saver! They should add it to in game option as a slider.

Now I set it to 65 when I play the game @ 5160x2160 and 50 when when I play it @ 6880x2880.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Wow... old thread but thank goodness you posted this info OP the UI has been driving me nuts. I've now got it set to 120 and I can actually see my sims instead of looking at all the UI which was constantly getting in the way! :cookie:
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.