Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If Sims 4 doesn't make enough money, will there be a 5?

What is everyone's thought on this?
To me.. I'm really hesitant to think the franchise would continue if Sims 4 turns out to be a total bust for them (I'm not sure it even is, but I heard sales were WAY down from what they had estimated).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    That's what a Guru said. They won't make a sequel if the current game isn't profitable enough.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    ^ I'm mostly curious to what people think of this as there is so much rumble about what people would want to see in Sims 5, and every time I see a topic like that I always think 'will there even be a 5 if they don't make enough money..?'

I'm still discovering everything about TS3 -- some people love TS4.. some are very disappointed with it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I'd rather not consider it. I'm holding onto hope they are paying attention to us all in the disappointment to create better for the sims 4 before I consider 5. I paid for 4, I've no desire to see it be a complete waste for me over time which is why I try to get heard :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Yup. It was a threat that was made to scare people into buying TS4. Personally I don't believe it. Sim City was a major flop and there's still talk of more of em.

Personally I think EA should start investing and creating TS5. Make it everything TS4 isn't.

Reply of the day!

Yes, lessons can be learnt but will EA learn them?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    I see how it could be taken as a threat -- but from a business stand point (and that's not me trying to diminish mine or anyone's thoughts that EA has really fallen short on their customer satisfaction) it wouldn't even make sense to consider a Sims 5. Whether the fault lies in lack of interest to the game, their own downfall, etc.. without the funds to move forward, it would seem pointless to continue the franchise further.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    Yup. It was a threat that was made to scare people into buying TS4. Personally I don't believe it. Sim City was a major flop and there's still talk of more of em.

Personally I think EA should start investing and creating TS5. Make it everything TS4 isn't.

Reply of the day!

Yes, lessons can be learnt but will EA learn them?

Have they learned them?
    The Sims Online
    Sim City
    Sims Olympus
    The Sims 4

And that's only the sims franchise...
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a Sims 5.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I was actually pretty offended when they made that comment, possibly one of the more unprofessional statements I've ever read from a developer truthfully

It is extremely unprofessional, I agree. They shouldn't be holding sims 5 hostage, but then again .. seeing all how sims4 is turning out .. do we even want it?

Well that particular PR person has known to act unprofessionally multiple times. The whole PR department at Maxis needs improving.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I was actually pretty offended when they made that comment, possibly one of the more unprofessional statements I've ever read from a developer truthfully

Agreed! Very much a 'if you don't eat all your dinner and love it, you will not get dessert' kinda statement. Because we're all three years old.

• Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    They could learn from toddlers lol
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Why are people talking about TS5 now? Is TS4 so bad that people want a new game already?

Don't worry, this happened at the same point after TS3 release. :P
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I agree that the comment from Grant was most likely a threat. Sims fans can be very loyal and I think that was preying on our loyalty to the franchise as whole (not 4 in particular) I expect to see the Sims 5 regardless of how well 4 sells. If EA did drop it I imagine another company would pick it up and that would be a whole other avenue of interest for me. Chances are it would be better.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    People make mistakes, he said it in the heat of the moment and then apologised. I don't think it's an official position and likely why people are reluctant to talk sometimes if they feel mistakes will be mulled over despite apologies. Give him a break :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sim_Lucent wrote: »
    What is everyone's thought on this?
    To me.. I'm really hesitant to think the franchise would continue if Sims 4 turns out to be a total bust for them (I'm not sure it even is, but I heard sales were WAY down from what they had estimated).

Yes, there will and it may be for tablet or iPhone but yes, don't you believe EA will bury The Sims Franchise. There will be some sort of TS5 even if we don't think it is the TS5.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    stcarnamedwantstcarnamedwant Posts: 86 Member
    I'd rather not consider it. I'm holding onto hope they are paying attention to us all in the disappointment to create better for the sims 4 before I consider 5. I paid for 4, I've no desire to see it be a complete waste for me over time which is why I try to get heard :)

I agree. TS4 has so much potential, and I would be pretty upset if I didn't get to experience pets, weather, etc. in TS4 because they scrapped it and moved on.
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Grant was talking out of his 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to get people to buy Sims 4 since so many people were "hating" on it. It is a load of crap to believe they won't make a Sims 5. EA has so much money from all their games, it isn't a question of money so I think there will be a Sims 5. The real question is if they will choose to listen to us and make it the correct way?
  • Options
    EllsElls Posts: 62 Member

I absolutely agree with this. I found it very, very unprofessional.
  • Options
    Sanriel85Sanriel85 Posts: 362 Member
    Sims 4 is not mistake, mistake is people to think already for sims 5.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    There will be. Sims is too much of a cash cow. You know, the devs of Dragon Age said the same thing about Dragon Age 2 when people started complaining about the huge shift in play style -- that if it didn't sell well, we'd never find out what happens with Morrigan.

Of course, DA2 was not well received by fans, so the DLCs were cut way short and the planned expansion was scrapped. But the next installment of the series did happen with a bit of a shift back so it's between the styles of DAO and DA2. Of course, not everyone is happy with the hybrid, but the game is well enough received that I'm sure there will be DLC and a continuation.

Worst case scenario is if Sims 4 doesn't do as well as projected as far as DLC sales go, that will be ended early and more resources will be thrown at Sims 5.
  • Options
    Silverlight26Silverlight26 Posts: 3 New Member
    There will be a Sims 5, but it will be for iPhone/android/tablets, with an online payment system. (Like the sims freeplay). EA doesn't care about their pc games anymore. :|
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »

It is extremely unprofessional, I agree. They shouldn't be holding sims 5 hostage, but then again .. seeing all how sims4 is turning out .. do we even want it?

My short answer: No. Not if they approached it like they did TS4.

Now on the topic question:

Honestly, with how much heat is being created with every decision EA has been making with TS4, more and more loyal fans, are starting to turn against Sims 4. They are going to keep going this path until, like Final Fantasy XIV 1.0, their entire player-base is extremely unhappy. Then 1 of 2 possible outcomes will happen:
    1. They will apologize for the decisions they've made, and start working on The Sims 5, and a mega patch for The Sims 4, to try and give it the treatment the title actually deserves, but given the basic program's coding, it is extremely limited, and thus why they will decide it is best to start over from scratch, but will have a team work on the mega patch while they take their time and do The Sims 5 right. This scenario though I feel is unlikely at this point in time.
    2. They will apologize for the decisions made in regards to The Sims 4, but add that because of funding issues, and the negative reception The Sims 4 has gotten, all plans for expanding The Sims 4 will be halted, and unfortunately EA will abandon the sims franchise altogether. This will leave open, the possibility for another company to start work on their own sim game, without using the sims title. But that is far far off. But this scenario I suspect right now, is the most likely.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

Agreed! Very much a 'if you don't eat all your dinner and love it, you will not get dessert' kinda statement. Because we're all three years old.

I really think that's who they geared this game to. I think it speaks volumes about EA's mindset on this franchise now. Gotta hand it to 'em, whoever derailed the life simulation aspect of the franchise did a good job. Unfortunately for us.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club