Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone good at building houses?

Hi! I'm new here so if what I'm asking is completely out of this league, I apologize. I wanted to make a house for my Sims to live in but once I got started, I realized how awful I am in Build Mode. Is there anyway someone could make this house for me?! I posted what I want the front to look like and I have a couple requests but besides that, you have complete creative freedom! I would like 6 bedrooms total with one of them being on top of the garage. A tiny pool in the back and space for a decently sized garden. That's about it! Oh, if possible, I'd like the remaining 5 bedrooms on the 2nd floor but if some need to be downstairs, that's totally fine. If you have any questions, let me know! Thanks! :D

Update: Okay, JK it won't let me post what I want the front to look like -_- message me or post here if you're interested and I'll find a way to show you!

Comments

• Options
    JenwalesJenwales Posts: 110 Member
    In the sims exchange you can find houses. Have you tried using the blueprints option? I am also useless, maybe get a house that seems to have the basics and modify it? My brother is great at making houses but he doesn't have sims 3 and he can't get it for ps4 otherwise I'd be asking him to do them for me.
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    It is true that building something at least decent in Build mode is often a monumental task, especially if you're trying to juggle Live mode on the side as well. If you really want to try your hand at building something, I'd suggest going to Edit Town mode (... Button -> Edit Town) and then enter Build mode from there.

Using Edit Town/Build mode allows you to build things without money restrictions, so you can freely experiment on stuff and learn how to use the tools in Build mode. To start out, you might want to try plopping down some blueprint rooms and play around with them. Using blueprints is far quicker than trying to start from scratch, since after plopping down some rooms, you already have something to play with. In Edit Town mode, you can also load any prebuilt lot in the neighborhood and modify them (assuming that they're not occupied at the moment). This is also where you can build and modify Community lots (parks, beaches, café's and such, these are the lots your Sim can visit during gameplay). Any lots created through Edit Town mode are directly available in the game world in Live mode, and can be purchased by Player Sims (assuming they have the money to buy them, since extensive builds often cost a lot more than any starting Sim can afford).
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    A great place to start learning about building is to visit Creative Corner. It is way down near the bottom of the list of Sims 3 forums. When you get there look for a post containing a list of tutorials. Then look for tutorials but Zoo U. Or Zoo University. You'll find ways to build there that will amaze you. It's well worth giving it a go. Good luck.

I have a few builds in my studio if you'd like to look. But none of them will meet your requirements.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I would build it with at least two of the bedrooms on the main floor because it wouldn't be baby or toddler-friendly if the bedrooms were all upstairs.I would also make sure there was a back door as well as a front door so they don't end up getting the children taken by the social workers for being too slow tending to the babies and toddlers.I've got a house you can place on a larger lot and alter with a garage HERE
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    vswinehartvswinehart Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks everyone! I never heard of the blue prints option, I just kinda put two walls in the front and started decorating that way but I am going to have to try what you all are suggesting! Thanks for your help and please give me any extra tips you can :D @jenwales @HunterInShadow‌ @Karritz‌ @TadOlson‌
  • Options
    MikkiJeanneMikkiJeanne Posts: 3 New Member
    If you have a specific request, I can make it for you. Just post the info to my wall.
  • Options
    SunIndraSunIndra Posts: 33 Member
    I'm also bad at building houses. If I can make four walls and a roof look houseish I'm happy.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    I don't actually build houses. I tend to build other things. I know a lot of people look for house plans and try to build their houses from the house plans. The plans are used only to get an idea as it would be too difficult to do something exactly to the plan.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I always build houses as ranchers or put some of the bedrooms on the main level even if there's an upper floor.I also always put in at least a front door and a back door for getting into the backyard.I hate sims having to run around to the front door to get inside after being in their backyard because it can lead to a social worker taking their baby away because they can't get there to tend the baby fast enough.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    vswinehart wrote: »
    Hi! I'm new here so if what I'm asking is completely out of this league, I apologize. I wanted to make a house for my Sims to live in but once I got started, I realized how awful I am in Build Mode. Is there anyway someone could make this house for me?! I posted what I want the front to look like and I have a couple requests but besides that, you have complete creative freedom! I would like 6 bedrooms total with one of them being on top of the garage. A tiny pool in the back and space for a decently sized garden. That's about it! Oh, if possible, I'd like the remaining 5 bedrooms on the 2nd floor but if some need to be downstairs, that's totally fine. If you have any questions, let me know! Thanks! :D

Update: Okay, JK it won't let me post what I want the front to look like -_- message me or post here if you're interested and I'll find a way to show you!

@vswinehart ... There are building teams like The D.N.A Request Team in the Creative Corner like @Karritz mentioned.

Also ... It is important to know what kind of other specs you want to have your house meet.
    I mean the bedrooms are fine ... But do you want a 1 or 2 car garage?
    How much do you want the house to cost?

Do the Sims going to occupy the house have special interests, skills or hobbies?
    Do you need a workout area ... Nursery ... How many children and their gender/age?
    Do you want a laundry room or to simply skip picking up dirty clothes?
    Do you need an area for an outside garden ... Do you want heavy or light landscaping?

I mean ... I only build Modern style houses ... And they may not suit your purpose.
    Someone down in the Creative corner is either liable to build the house ... Or already has one similar to your desires built in their studio.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,615 Member
    Hello :) This is a link to a thread that contains a list of the Beginning Builder's University courses.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/499348.page

This is a link to the DNA request team blog. It contains hones that they have already built. You can search by the labels on the right hand side to find the type of home that you would like.
    http://dnarequestteam.blogspot.com/

I hope that helps :)