Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Guide - Raising Kids - Pregnancy to Toddler

myrakiiimyrakiii Posts: 229 Member
Hello fellow Simmers!

I've seen a LOT of people wondering, "How can I tell if my Sim is pregnant?" or "What are the most important things to have while raising a baby/toddler?" Well, this is a guide to raising kids- pregnancy to toddler edition.

----------------------------------------
How To Know If Your Sim Is Pregnant
----------------------------------------
This section in the guide will explain a few techniques to find out if your Sim is expecting. Some are known, some might be a little more secretive... but I'm exposing all the goods!

~Lullaby~ Sometimes, but not always, a lullaby will sound right after a woohoo. The lullaby guarantees you're pregnant. Occasionally, the lullaby won't sound but you'll still be pregnant.

~Vomiting~ You will get a Nausea moodlet, signalling you're going to vomit. This moodlet can be from numerous things, like eating burnt or bad quality food. To know this is for pregnancy, at the bottom of the moodlet in parentheses it'll say, (From Unknown Causes.) Once your Sim finds out, it'll say (From Pregnancy), but usually the vomiting ends before you know.

~Cravings~ You will get a wish that says, "Eat ______," as the title, and "Your Sim has a craving for something- cooked just right, of course!" or something along those lines. These may appear before and appear your Sim finds out she's pregnant.

-------------------
Once You Know
-------------------
Once your Sim gets the notification saying she's pregnant, you have an opportunity to increase chances of a certain gender, or increase the chances of having multiples.

~Gender~ If you want a girl, eat 3-5 watermelons during your pregnancy. If you want a boy, do the same but with apples. This won't guarantee anything, but gives it a much bigger chance. Also, increase the number if you want to have specific genders with twins or triplets.

~Multiples~ There are a few strategies for this:
~Fertility Treatment~ This Lifetime Reward increases both the chance at getting pregnant and the chance of having multiple kids. Do not do this if you are a first time parent, as multiples can be stressful.
~Music & TV~ If you watch Kidz Zone on the TV and listen to Kids on a stereo 2-3 times a day, it increases the chance. The more often you do it, the better the chance.
~Pregnancy Book~ You can buy pregnancy books at your bookstore. Reading these slightly improves your chances. It also appears to increase the likelihood of choosing both traits.

------------------------
Setting Up The Room
------------------------
Ok, so your Sim is pregnant. Cool. Now what? Well, now it's time for equipment and decorations! Remember, you can style the equipment and room however you feel like. These are just guidelines. Have fun and you'll be good!

~Cribs~ This is pretty obvious. Babies need a place to sleep. There are 2 cribs. One is an older looking model, which is cheaper. Also there's a modern looking crib that's higher in price. Note that with expansions and custom content, this may widen your variety. Just use your judgement on which one will be better for your baby. Remember that with multiple kids, you'll need multiple cribs.

~Toys~ You can put a lot of toys in your babies room if you wish. There are crates of toys, dolls, stuffed animals, musical instruments... whatever you want, really.

~Potty Training Seat~ You can put this in the bathroom or in their room. It's up to you. This is used when they are toddlers.

~Highchair~ Again, for toddlers. I prefer to place this in my dining room, next to the table so the baby is included.

~Others~ The things I have mentioned are in the base game, no expansions. If you want to use added content, go ahead. No one's stopping you. :)

--------------------
The Baby's Born
--------------------
After 3-4 Sim days, you will get a notification stating that the baby's coming. You can have the birth at home or at the hospital. If you're having the baby at home, the Sim will stand there in labor, then spin around and poof! There's a baby! Just throwing it out there that if you have the baby at home, your Sim and baby will have a higher relationship. Someone can drive the mother to the hospital, or she can drive herself. The dad will be there at the hospital, or meet her at the house. Also, depending on the pregnancy overall, you might be able to pick traits.

----------------------------
Taking Care of the Baby
----------------------------
Although the baby can't do much, you still need to feed, socialize, change and play with him. I usually set the babies lifespan onto 2 days, as babies aren't very interesting in the Sims 3. However, if you play the baby's favorite music while he's asleep, he might get a positive moodlet. Or he'll get a rude awakening moodlet. Use at your own risk!

------------
Birthday!
------------
The day of the birthday, you can buy a cake and throw a party! While the party's in session, click on the cake, select Blow Out Candles and select the baby. He will age up into a toddler, and everyone will celebrate!

---------------------
Terrific Toddlers
---------------------
Now your baby is a toddler, and he is going to learn a lot in this current life stage. He can learn to walk, talk, and be potty-trained. If all of these are mastered, and you raised him well, you should be able to pick a trait. If not, the game will choose a trait, and it can be good or bad. He'll start playing with his toys, and some can start learning a skill but playing with certain toys. It's time to put that highchair to use! You can feed him baby food while he's in his highchair. You can get a food processor and puree food. Also, if you put a stuffed animal in the toddler's inventory, he will get a positive moodlet. Just be the best parent you can be and he will age into a child nicely!

Thank you for reading my guide! Please leave feedback, and also whether or not I should post a guide for children and teens. If I forgot something or need to update things, please leave them in the comments so I am notified of it. Happy Simming, and I hope my guide helped!
hey there! i'm peachy, a sims 4 player that loves making characters!
cas youtube!
Post edited by myrakiii on

Comments

• Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    One thing you could add is that you have the ability to purée precook end food in the food processor. This gives the children a good meal mood let (or whatever quality the meal was originally), so the baby will be happier.

This would be a great guide for a beginner! I knew pretty much all of this, but of course I'm not a beginner. It can be hard figuring out how to teach your baby to walk and talk, because at this stage, parents are still low in their careers (at least in my games), so there's little time to fit everything in. A plumbot is the solution! They are amazing.
  • Options
    beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member
    Another neat thing to note, if they have the baby at home, the mother will have a higher starting relationship with the child :)
  • Options
    zombii3zombii3 Posts: 388 Member
    One thing you could add is that you have the ability to purée precook end food in the food processor. This gives the children a good meal mood let (or whatever quality the meal was originally), so the baby will be happier.

This would be a great guide for a beginner! I knew pretty much all of this, but of course I'm not a beginner. It can be hard figuring out how to teach your baby to walk and talk, because at this stage, parents are still low in their careers (at least in my games), so there's little time to fit everything in. A plumbot is the solution! They are amazing.

I didn't even know you could do that with a baby and feeding it food from the food processor..
    And as for the teaching toddlers how to walk/talk - I balance it as much as I can. Whichever parent is in a good/full mood then they're going to spend all of their time teaching the toddler something - I usually make them do that until they're like almost deep orange for their mood because you don't have much time to teach your toddler these things and they're sooo important for once the toddler ages up..I've dealt with too many devil children to even fathom having to deal with one more..
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had a sim get pregnant in one of my legacies and it took 30 days to get to the end of her pregnancy from when my checker told me she'd just become pregnant less than an hour after she'd tried for a baby in the haystack with her husband and she had twins 30 days later since I changed the length of pregnancies to 30 days in NRaas Retuner.They'll have 60 days before the babies become toddlers.
    I've got a toddler in one of my town legacy challenge families in Winfield with 30 days left until she's a child.She'll be three years old when she ages up to a child.I've got tons of CC to use for babies and toddlers like walkers,playpens,changing tables and baby swings.I've also got CC baby cots.Sandi often sneaks into the pet food bowl and eats pet food because I've got a Mod that added toddler interactions.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

Yes! And even toddlers have a favorite food. Pureeing that gives a bigger boost. My current toddler's favorite food is pancakes. :)

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Put a teddy bear in the baby or toddler or child's inventory and they get a positive moodlet while sleeping and it last a a while after they wake. I think it's the cuddle time mood let.
  • Options
    I've added in all of your guys feedback. Thank you!
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    I had no idea about the food processor and toddler meals. I just whipped up some waffles for my toddler in Sims 3.
  • Options
    They also get a positive mood let if you play their favourite music while they are sleeping. They might also get the rude awakening negative mood let but if you add them together it is more positive than negative in total.
  • Options
    > @Karritz said:
    > They also get a positive mood let if you play their favourite music while they are sleeping. They might also get the rude awakening negative mood let but if you add them together it is more positive than negative in total.

Added! :)
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Keep the baby's traits in mind. Music will never wake up a heavy sleeper but it will always wake up a light sleeper. Put the crib outside if the baby loves the outdoors. Make sure it's inside if the baby hates the outdoors. Try to put a loner's crib in a room by itself, so the loner can be alone most of the time.

If you have University Life, you can easily find out if your Sim is pregnant by trying to enroll her in university. The option will be grayed out it she is pregnant and the tooltip will say that she's pregnant. You can use this right after Try For Baby.

I've never heard before that reading the pregnancy books increases the chance of pregnancy or multiple births, but reading them does increase the chance that you'll get to choose one or both traits when the baby is born.
  • Options
    > @Sketch793 said:
    > Keep the baby's traits in mind. Music will never wake up a heavy sleeper but it will always wake up a light sleeper. Put the crib outside if the baby loves the outdoors. Make sure it's inside if the baby hates the outdoors. Try to put a loner's crib in a room by itself, so the loner can be alone most of the time.
    >
    > If you have University Life, you can easily find out if your Sim is pregnant by trying to enroll her in university. The option will be grayed out it she is pregnant and the tooltip will say that she's pregnant. You can use this right after Try For Baby.
    >
    > I've never heard before that reading the pregnancy books increases the chance of pregnancy or multiple births, but reading them does increase the chance that you'll get to choose one or both traits when the baby is born.

I did research before putting anything in, and a lot of people said that when they read both of the books they often got twins. I tested it and I got two girls, Annie and Emery.
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    Updated and added all information. Thank you!
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    It's not necessary to read pregnancy books to choose the baby's traits. I gave up making my Sims read pregnancy books years ago.
  • Options
    > @Karritz said:
    > It's not necessary to read pregnancy books to choose the baby's traits. I gave up making my Sims read pregnancy books years ago.

Actually, I was reading the Sims wiki on the section about baby's and pregnancy, seeing if I could add anything, and it said:
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    "reading pregnancy books and getting massages appears to significantly the likelihood of being able to select both traits." @Karritz‌
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Oh I'm sorry! I misunderstood your statement. I thought you were disagreeing that it worked, but now I see you were merely pointing out that it's not required. Sorry about that!! @Karritz‌
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    Bump :)
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    Redninja52Redninja52 Posts: 200 Member
    i cant even select my traits because of leagacy challenge
  • Options
    > @Redninja52 said:
    > i cant even select my traits because of leagacy challenge

Oh, that's tough. But I do hope my guide helped you! :)
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    Bump
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Some good tips! :smiley:
    I didn't know about the favorite music and puree food! I learn something new about these games every day. :blush:
    My sims are gay, so the pregnancy tips may not help, lol, but the rest of it definitely helped. :)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    Redninja52Redninja52 Posts: 200 Member
    yeah lol :(
  • Options
    Some good tips! :smiley:
    I didn't know about the favorite music and puree food! I learn something new about these games every day. :blush:
    My sims are gay, so the pregnancy tips may not help, lol, but the rest of it definitely helped. :)

:smiley: Glad it helped! Yea, the pregnancy thing doesn't really apply, but I'm glad the rest did. :wink: I have two females married, and they adopted 2 kids, so the puree and stuff is super helpful. Although, autumn salad puree doesn't sound good. :neutral_face:
    cas youtube!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top