Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MAXIS: Am I seeing double LOL

Maxis honored me with a fav of my build ROSSOUW MANOR in November.
Great was my surprise this morning when I saw my same build (edited-Oakenstead (Just Better)) and posted by nuttercase248 lol - and Maxis fav'ed it again. I did congratulate nuttercase248 on her version and honestly I do not even mind I think it is awesome if people take your build and make it their own.

My question though is:

1. Did this happen to u before
2. How does a player manage to remove an original builders name from the build, as I though it was secure?
3. Is there any rules about copying a build and reload on gallery as our own?

Looking forward 2 your views on this <3

[img][/img]H8mVLaj.jpg
Rossouw Manor

[img][/img]wvmtzu8.jpg
uploaded by nuttercase248

Comments

• Options
    GlamourSimmerGlamourSimmer Posts: 238 Member
    well, I have taken houses and remixed it and uploaded it. I never try to get credit for it though. I'm not sure if you can take the person who made it name off of the credits...or maybe you can lol
    Sim is life !
    Gaming Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdolzKVXRHZhBiMKXTdofw ( Don't be afraid to go subscribe )
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Well that was awkward
    tumblr_n5iceyS7U51rfduvxo1_250.gif
    You caught that person who stole your stuff.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I think the person has to place it onto a lot and then share it. It's that easy to remove the original name.

Your version is better in my opinion. :p Nice looking big pool.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    I remember you before when you made a post about wanting a Maxis fav. I'm glad you finally got it, it's a shame that someone tainted it by stealing your work. I'm not really sure what you can do about it. I see lot stealing very often in the gallery. They should keep the original creator's name in it no matter what.
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    I get it that people would download a lot and remodel it 2 their taste and liking..totally lol That is surely the purpose of downloading..but should u claim it as your own?
  • Options
    BTW thanks for the comments <3
  • Options
    Shadow2SoulShadow2Soul Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited December 2014
    I get it that people would download a lot and remodel it 2 their taste and liking..totally lol That is surely the purpose of downloading..but should u claim it as your own?

I wouldn't, but that's just me. If I ever did do something like this, I would put that it was a re-design of ***Lot Name Here*** by ****Simmers Name Here**** in the description.

• Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member

I wouldn't, but that's just me. If I ever did do something like this, I would put that it was a re-design of ***Lot Name Here*** by ****Simmers Name Here**** in the description.

Agreed but I think that if you download something from the Gallery, put it into your game, modify and then save it, the game registers it as an entirely new lot and credits it to you automatically. So unless you make specific mention of it in the description the original creators' ID gets lost.
  • Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    As much as I dislike the stealing of other people's work, I think calling them out by name on the forums might be against the rules. Be careful.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    InnuendoPlumbobInnuendoPlumbob Posts: 140 Member
    Report them.
    Lovely house btw
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    This is why I do not share anything I build. I get lots off the gallery and redo them as the family grows and changes. I also build my own homes. I can't always remember what I built and what I downloaded. When I upload stuff the to my library everything is blank like bedrooms and bathrooms. When it gets into my library it says it was uploaded by me. It does not hold the original creators name.

This happened just today. I got a lot off the gallery and did the kitchen like I wanted then realized the lot was backwards so I saved it to my library so I could find another lot and it replaced the original house and it said it was uploaded by me.

When I put the park in my library it said it was mine too.

I do not want to accidentally offend anyone so I do not share.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2014
    Graham addressed this question on Twitter. He said something like at what point does a work stop being the original player or the next player who edited. He explained if you change 90% of what was there is it still the original player's work? I say no. And agree with him. I am not explaining very well what he did say, so I will apologize to him for butchering his view of it, but I happen to agree with his view of it.

ETA: Example, you edited the Maxis house, is it yours or their work just edited by you? Wouldn't this be the same thing for the next player who edits your work which was Maxis work anyway. I hope this doesn't sound rude but I see many changes the second player made which I would consider they edited more than 50% of your work. So, the question remains is it your work? Or Maxis' work or the third person. When you share on the site you are freely giving your work to be edited, and so does Maxis. So, I'm not seeing the problem to be honest. We upload so people can enjoy and change and modify and do with whatever they will. Only Fansites can say don't share my work, don't upload and don't change one iota.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    I can imagine that must be so frustrating-I know that other people have had this sort of thing happen to creations they uploaded. This sort of thing is one of several ways that some people bend or break rules on this forum. It is unfortunate I must say.

I think that AnnLee87 made excellent points that, by just saving a lot, it apparently said it was uploaded under their name as opposed to the original creator-this happened without any kind if intent to take someone's creation as their own. So, maybe this was a mistake-I don't know as I don't know what is involved in uploading to the gallery but it could be a mistake, not intentional.
  • Options
    Mandylcd wrote: »
    I can imagine that must be so frustrating-I know that other people have had this sort of thing happen to creations they uploaded. This sort of thing is one of several ways that some people bend or break rules on this forum. It is unfortunate I must say.

I think that AnnLee87 made excellent points that, by just saving a lot, it apparently said it was uploaded under their name as opposed to the original creator-this happened without any kind if intent to take someone's creation as their own. So, maybe this was a mistake-I don't know as I don't know what is involved in uploading to the gallery but it could be a mistake, not intentional.

This is what happens. If you download someone's Sim or lot and place it in your world then upload later it (unfortunately) removes the original player's name as the creator. But imho, if it was Maxis house I don't see how anyone can claim being the original builder. I modified many of the Maxis houses, I may upload them sometimes for my own use later, as another place to store them in the 'cloud'. However, I don't think it upsets Maxis to see what people did to change their buildings. I think they rather like how someone can take their lot and change it to suit themselves. So, their name is no longer on the upload, either, however, I don't think they are upset by that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Mandylcd wrote: »

This is what happens. If you download someone's Sim or lot and place it in your world then upload later it (unfortunately) removes the original player's name as the creator. But imho, if it was Maxis house I don't see how anyone can claim being the original builder. I modified many of the Maxis houses, I may upload them sometimes for my own use later, as another place to store them in the 'cloud'. However, I don't think it upsets Maxis to see what people did to change their buildings. I think they rather like how someone can take their lot and change it to suit themselves. So, their name is no longer on the upload, either, however, I don't think they are upset by that.

Hi Cinebar-yeah-I didn't know how it worked until I read AnnLee87's post. Thank you for further clarifying the process- I have never used the Gallery and I didn't know any of these details but it all made me realize that it could have been completely inadvertent-as far as what the OP was referring to with their own creation.
  • Options
    Thanx again for all the feedback. <3 I just want to clarify some misunderstanding as I read through the comments.

1. It was not a house from Maxis - It was my original build lol that was fav'ed by Maxis and then the person that downloaded (changed) and uploaded to the gallery again was fav'ed by Maxis again LOL So the build was fav'ed by Maxis twice. lol
    2. I never intended to upset or call out the 2nd uploader - Like I said I even congratulated het on her changes to the build
    3. I also believe she did not do anything on purpose <3
    4. I was just curious about the questions I had and not upset. In a weird way I feel honored that the same build got fav'ed twice lol
    5. I agree that if you can change it 50% or more it would/could be called your own, but the 2nd uploaded (my opinion) did not change it so it was unrecognizable because the structure remained the same and I recognized it immediately even though it was a night picture that was uploaded by her LOL

Guys, please do not misread my intentions here - I just wanted 2 know for myself how this works and what your views are on it LOL. There is NO ill intent towards the 2nd uploader or anyone else doing this. Like I already said it makes me happy 2 see people actually enjoy my builds and it was just so weird and strange that it was fav'ed twice but by 2 different uploaders lol <3 Blessings xx
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    Gorgeous houses. I don't have anything useful to say but that.

In my opinion (A bit like you) I'd feel honoured if someone used my building and put more things they liked in.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    But some simmers do take offence when they see their creations with a different name on it. I have seen some discussions about it on this forum. Some want it changed so the original creator stays with a edited by .... and uploaded by ....

I do understand the process. I can't do anything about simmers who don't like it. I am not sharing anything because I do not want to offend anyone. It's my choice.

It's sort of a form of plagiarism. lol
    I want all sources cited like when I wrote papers in college.

I also create oil paintings. It would destroy me if someone came in and redid one of my paintings.
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    I was going to say that I'm sorry your work was being credited to someone else, but it seems that you don't really mind it. Good for you.

It is a great looking house.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    Hopefully, if enough people complain in the Feedback for the Gallery thread they will see the game removes the original creator's name and that is what most are unhappy about concerning their work being modified. That may be something they can actually fix. But if someone renames it or moves it to a different lot which the game still keeps the Maxis lot name and they don't rename it back to the original name of it, then it may be impossible to get the system to see it is not the lot on the Maxis street name/lot but one of a different name from the gallery. So, I don't know but maybe if enough request and suggest in the Gallery thread they may try to do something about the system. Because I truly believe most people try to be honest and may forget to give credit and or forgot who made it, when they downloaded it because even the game removes that info and they may just forget and don't even remember the creator and therefore can't give proper credit.
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    Alnairan wrote: »
    I was going to say that I'm sorry your work was being credited to someone else, but it seems that you don't really mind it. Good for you.

I think she does mind. Not in a rude way. But surely she minds...

I remember her old post where she was saying how she works really hard and spends hours and hours creating quality builds that many people love, and yet Maxis wasn't showing her any love. Now finally they do show her love and someone rips it off and gets a fave effortlessly. That would make me sad if I was her. I'm glad she's being positive about it though. Maybe she's just a better person than me xx
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    Alnairan wrote: »

I think she does mind. Not in a rude way. But surely she minds...

I remember her old post where she was saying how she works really hard and spends hours and hours creating quality builds that many people love, and yet Maxis wasn't showing her any love. Now finally they do show her love and someone rips it off and gets a fave effortlessly. That would make me sad if I was her. I'm glad she's being positive about it though. Maybe she's just a better person than me xx

I see what you mean, I think I would be very angry if I was her.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Both are pretty, I liked the grass on the second one and the pool with the first :)
    I have those round fences(I can't remember the proper word) it makes me want Sims 4 just a little bit lol
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Thanx again for all the feedback. <3 I just want to clarify some misunderstanding as I read through the comments.

1. It was not a house from Maxis - It was my original build lol that was fav'ed by Maxis and then the person that downloaded (changed) and uploaded to the gallery again was fav'ed by Maxis again LOL So the build was fav'ed by Maxis twice. lol
    2. I never intended to upset or call out the 2nd uploader - Like I said I even congratulated het on her changes to the build
    3. I also believe she did not do anything on purpose <3
    4. I was just curious about the questions I had and not upset. In a weird way I feel honored that the same build got fav'ed twice lol
    5. I agree that if you can change it 50% or more it would/could be called your own, but the 2nd uploaded (my opinion) did not change it so it was unrecognizable because the structure remained the same and I recognized it immediately even though it was a night picture that was uploaded by her LOL

Guys, please do not misread my intentions here - I just wanted 2 know for myself how this works and what your views are on it LOL. There is NO ill intent towards the 2nd uploader or anyone else doing this. Like I already said it makes me happy 2 see people actually enjoy my builds and it was just so weird and strange that it was fav'ed twice but by 2 different uploaders lol <3 Blessings xx

You are very nice and mature. I love your attitude.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Maxis honored me with a fav of my build ROSSOUW MANOR in November.
    Great was my surprise this morning when I saw my same build (edited-Oakenstead (Just Better)) and posted by nuttercase248 lol - and Maxis fav'ed it again. I did congratulate nuttercase248 on her version and honestly I do not even mind I think it is awesome if people take your build and make it their own.

My question though is:

1. Did this happen to u before
    2. How does a player manage to remove an original builders name from the build, as I though it was secure?
    3. Is there any rules about copying a build and reload on gallery as our own?

Looking forward 2 your views on this <3

[img][/img]H8mVLaj.jpg
    Rossouw Manor

[img][/img]wvmtzu8.jpg
    uploaded by nuttercase248

By the way, wow! A work of art!