Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling Quite frustrated with build mode - Not intuitive!

At first I thought I just needed to devote some time to it, and practice. I read the "lessons" and some tutorials. I started building a house, and have been trying to go there a little each day, even though I don't have a lot of time IRL.

But I feel just as frustrated as day 1, if not more so. I'm not the greatest most elaborate builder BUT I feel like in sims 1, 2, even 3 I enjoyed building and learned and improved a lot.

So here I am in sims 4, which is Supposed to be "intuitive". And I am finding it NOT "intuitive " at all. Maybe it irks me they even threw about the word "intuitive" since IMO it is so Not intuitive!!!

The frustrating part, building, is that the very simplest little things have been changed. And yes I AM using the new sims 4 camera mode because I Thought I would get used to it and it's better to learn something new.

Delete a wall? Have to google it eventually just to frackin' figure out the simplest thing. In sims 1, 2, even 3 it just Told you how to do it where you clicked on the wall. But nope sims 4 is so "intuitive" I guess our intuition just leads us to know.

Delete the floor tile or wallpaper (not the whole floor or wall just the covering) well - my intuition would have me - click on it first! And everytime I do That (or anything else for that matter) the Whole House , the room , all of it is highlighted and it wants to know if I want to move the whole house!

No, I don't want to move the whole house everytime I click my mouse! Nor do I want the useless and annoying tutorial, thanks!

I almost feel about to give up, because I feel like I'm wasting too much time.

Do you think this game is - or isn't "intuitive" ?

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2014
    I love building in this game more than the previous games. I actually do find it more intuitive. It's fast and easy for me.

I don't feel like posting a tutorial about it since there are already plenty of them out there, but as for deleting walls, you can drag the hammer across multiple tiles to delete large areas.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    Hi there kremesch73, I know, A Lot of people say they love the build mode. I know there's many tutorials, maybe I just haven't found the right one.

I haven't even used the sledgehammer, but there I just tried it. It removed the Whole Floor. Not the flooring, not just one or two tiles. I do see it also removes the walls one by one though. I guess that would have been helpful when I was trying to remove a few walls , instead I wasted time trying to figure it out.

Maybe they just made it so different than the previous games (which I am used to) ?

I Still really wish the room, and /or whole house would stop being highlighted constantly with the option to move all. It's really annoying when that isn't what you are trying to do.
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    You can also hold ctrl to remove walls like in the previous games. The sledgehammer can be bit wonky sometimes. But I personally find the new build mode to be much better for me. I actually build more varied houses and actually enjoy it. As for floor tiles I usually just go over it with the other carpet or flooring I want since it refunds or subtracts. If you want to delete the floor time altogether you will have to make walls around it then delete the floor with the sledgehammer. It's limited in some ways but in others it's easier for people like me who hate building.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    The floor (or a flat roof) is the worst part. They never should have gotten rid of deleting individual tiles, but it probably has something to do with the ability to stretch a room. But it is a pain nevertheless.
  • Options
    So- if you just draw new carpet over the old it subtracts the price of the old automatically? I didn't know that. I will have to remember to use the sledgehammer - thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    zorba2357 wrote: »
    Hi there kremesch73, I know, A Lot of people say they love the build mode. I know there's many tutorials, maybe I just haven't found the right one.

I haven't even used the sledgehammer, but there I just tried it. It removed the Whole Floor. Not the flooring, not just one or two tiles. I do see it also removes the walls one by one though. I guess that would have been helpful when I was trying to remove a few walls , instead I wasted time trying to figure it out.

Maybe they just made it so different than the previous games (which I am used to) ?

I Still really wish the room, and /or whole house would stop being highlighted constantly with the option to move all. It's really annoying when that isn't what you are trying to do.

It is different, I meant to say use the sledgehammer on the walls and other objects. I was on my iPad earlier so didn't really want to get into too much depth typing-wise.

The flooring is very different in S4. It's one solid mass. Question: Why are you trying to delete tiles? Are you attempting to replace it with another? In that case, place the new tile over that spot.

Are you attempting to put a physical hole in the floor? Flooring is treated like a room. If you want to delete a couple of tiles for whatever reason, build a room around those tiles. Delete the floor. Then drag the sledgehammer over the walls to remove them.

I can answer questions. I'm just not interested in saying everything that I find intuitive or easy because there's just too much to type in that instance.

If you accidentally grab the house/room by accident, press esc. It happens, but not that much for me.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is any way to get it to quit highlighting the room and/or house with the option to move the complete structure? I'm not sure what I am doing or clicking that it constantly does this?
  • Options
    Are you attempting to move a wall or are you touching the floor?
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, another tip that may help is hitting T provides a top down view. It's one I forget often. Another one that I always forget is B is the wall tool shortcut. And if you click on a wall it usually brings up the option the move the whole room. But you can also drag said wall to resize the room.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, another tip that may help is hitting T provides a top down view. It's one I forget often. Another one that I always forget is B is the wall tool shortcut. And if you click on a wall it usually brings up the option the move the whole room. But you can also drag said wall to resize the room.

Another way is to use the camera icon at the top right of the screen
    topView.jpg
  • Options
    O.K. I do feel like I'm getting the hang of it a little (until tomorrow when I try again, eyeroll!). I see now the single wall segment Can be deleted by ctrl / drag wall. I think my timing on it was a little off (it was that way in previous sims games too).

Basically I was just trying to remove some wall segments, I'm building a bathroom at the moment. I used one of the pre-made rooms/bathrooms. And I Did try to move the whole bathroom, but it turned out to be too much of a hassle. So I decided to delete the room itself, the walls. And then just build it where I wanted it.

As for the floor, I'm not trying to remove the actual floor, just the covering (carpet, tile etc).

I DO notice ANYTIME I left click (my mouse) on any floor or wall it highlights the whole house, with the multiple options to move the whole structure. Personally I find that annoying! If I click on a wall segment, or a floor segment, my Intent is to alter that one item, not move the whole house!

If I left click on ONE wall segment of my bathroom, it does not automatically mean I want to move the whole room all the time with all the walls highlighted.
  • Options
    O.K. I do feel like I'm getting the hang of it a little (until tomorrow when I try again, eyeroll!). I see now the single wall segment Can be deleted by ctrl / drag wall. I think my timing on it was a little off (it was that way in previous sims games too).

Basically I was just trying to remove some wall segments, I'm building a bathroom at the moment. I used one of the pre-made rooms/bathrooms. And I Did try to move the whole bathroom, but it turned out to be too much of a hassle. So I decided to delete the room itself, the walls. And then just build it where I wanted it.

As for the floor, I'm not trying to remove the actual floor, just the covering (carpet, tile etc).

I DO notice ANYTIME I left click (my mouse) on any floor or wall it highlights the whole house, with the multiple options to move the whole structure. Personally I find that annoying! If I click on a wall segment, or a floor segment, my Intent is to alter that one item, not move the whole house!

If I left click on ONE wall segment of my bathroom, it does not automatically mean I want to move the whole room all the time with all the walls highlighted.

Ah. That's supposed to happen. When you click on a wall. Then entire room will hilite. Zoom out a bit and you will see arrows by all the walls. You can drag those arrows to move those individual walls and the other walls attached to it will adjust with it. I find this much better than the way it was done in S3.
  • Options
    I'll try to remember for flooring - just replace old carpet with new , don't try and delete anything.

For walls , can be sledgehammered or ctrl/ delete like the old way (but have to click the ctrl and then drag in just the right sequence).

And try not to left click - because it will keep giving highlighted option to move whole structure!

One other obsevation - In Theory it sounds so cool to be able to just move around whole rooms OR stretch / change the dimensions but have said room remain the same.

In Practice I find this to be not as easy or practical as it sounds. Windows disappear and need to be found in the catalog and replaced. Wallpaper disappears also. The objects in the room need to be moved or re-arranged to fit the moved room.
  • Options
    Well, I'm off to bed. I really appreciate your help kremesch73, and poisonedsodapop. I figured when I posted this I might get all jumped upon. But you were really helpful and patient , thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well, I'm off to bed. I really appreciate your help kremesch73, and poisonedsodapop. I figured when I posted this I might get all jumped upon. But you were really helpful and patient , thanks.

Have a good one. I just want to leave you with another little tidbit.

If you replace flooring with less expensive flooring, the difference in pricing is returned to you. If you replace cheaper flooring with more expensive flooring, you are only charged the difference. S1 and 2 did this as well. I don't recall if 3 did. There's no need to remove tiles to replace them with new one. Wallpapers behave the same.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Have a good one. I just want to leave you with another little tidbit.

If you replace flooring with less expensive flooring, the difference in pricing is returned to you. If you replace cheaper flooring with more expensive flooring, you are only charged the difference. S1 and 2 did this as well. I don't recall if 3 did. There's no need to remove tiles to replace them with new one. Wallpapers behave the same.

Pretty sure sims 1, and 2 Did Not do this! You had to first remove the flooring, which returned the simoleons. Same with wallpaper. If you simply added new wallpaper or flooring without first removing the old, you were not returned the cost of the old.

• Options
    CyprusCyprus Posts: 27 New Member
    There's quite a few annoying bugs with the build mode at the moment. Issues with editing closed rooms (knocking walls down) and putting them back in, moreso on upper floors of homes, along with the complication of building balconies requiring multiple steps and backtracks to create...it's definitely not as fluid or perfect as sims 3. Many times when I'd delete walls and close them again for w/e reason it wouldn't recognize it as a closed room again and it would have all the effects of outdoors...sunlight...brights, no auto-floor and you can't do floor fill on the room because it's "outside" even when it has a roof, and enclosed walls.

You can't edit cieling colors like the sims 3, which is minor but what's the point of advancing a game and then backtracking? On certain aspects...architecturally, I like this game as much or more than 3 because you can make for a really nice/realistic exterior look to a home other than lack of colors and a few key items like garage doors.

The sledgehammer and move tools are to universal...they should have separate modes or versions of the "move/arrow" instead of it doing everything it does. Should be different for moving items and house/room/walls.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    I'm still TERRIBLE at making houses, but this is ONE thing I can give some praise for... build mode is a lot more fun and easier. Being able to pick up rooms to move around, height of the walls, auto-windows... good stuff. Either way though, my homes still look like very poor boxes :D
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    I'm still TERRIBLE at making houses, but this is ONE thing I can give some praise for... build mode is a lot more fun and easier. Being able to pick up rooms to move around, height of the walls, auto-windows... good stuff. Either way though, my homes still look like very poor boxes :D
    It's funny cause I'm so lazy about windows and such and when I saw the auto windows prior to launch I was like OH MY GOD AWESOME and then used it a few times before putting in the windows myself cause I wanted to pick their positioning on the wall and where they were. Guess I just really enjoy building now, which is so weird cause I never did in any of the past games. Everyone had rectangular houses that were all simple and boring. Now I actually tinker and do other things and I'm learning everyday.

tumblr_nejgmxnY7d1tkj3avo1_1280.png

One of my builds I did awhile back. More pictures on my tumblr. I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to achieve the same effects in the past games, just that it's so easy for someone like me who is like "yeah, another square house in my neighborhood would be good." Also, I may go to the gallery and look at other peoples builds but I don't feel the urge to use any in my game usually because I get more joy out of building my own and using their's as inspiration or for learning new things.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    @POISONEDSODAPOP

hehe!! I always try to create a small house when I get ready to play a new Sim, to create a small, cheap but great place to live. It never turns out very good... either the house design itself looks horrid, or it becomes incredibly too expensive for me to use for a starter LOL!!!

But I've been practicing more, so hopefully one day I will be able to share a picture of a decent-looking home :D
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Pretty sure sims 1, and 2 Did Not do this!

I own and play both games. I just went back into both to double check that I haven't been dreaming all these years. You get reimbursed without having to remove tiles. Maybe you just never noticed.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Auto-windows?? I had no idea there were "auto-windows". While I enjoy building and feel like I've really improved throughout the years, I still feel rather lacking in the decorating skill, and even something like picking out the right windows for the house leaves me a bit puzzled. :#

Here it is so far, I'm sure I've done myself no favors by making it - octogon!

2ex28u8.png

244w29x.png

i5rer7.png

Pic with annoying highlighted house:

2w23jna.png
  • Options
    @zorba2357 The top floor isn't divided into rooms so that's why the whole thing gets selected. Looking really good so far though.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Pretty sure sims 1, and 2 Did Not do this!

I own and play both games. I just went back into both to double check that I haven't been dreaming all these years. You get reimbursed without having to remove tiles. Maybe you just never noticed.

O.K. I'm not going to argue the point, or load up both games that I haven't played in quite some time. Maybe it depends if a family actually lives there or not?

• Options
    @zorba2357 The top floor isn't divided into rooms so that's why the whole thing gets selected. Looking really good so far though.

I have since added the bathroom, and then the bathroom AND the whole house gets selected , LOL.