Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling Quite frustrated with build mode - Not intuitive!

2...Next

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Are you sure it's not the floor instead of the house? This is the only thing I know of that will move the whole house.
    MoveHouse.jpg

Pressing U will also select the entire house.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not the floor instead of the house? This is the only thing I know of that will move the whole house.
    MoveHouse.jpg

Man you know all the shortcuts. That's a good one to know.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    zorba2357 wrote: »
    At first I thought I just needed to devote some time to it, and practice. I read the "lessons" and some tutorials. I started building a house, and have been trying to go there a little each day, even though I don't have a lot of time IRL.

But I feel just as frustrated as day 1, if not more so. I'm not the greatest most elaborate builder BUT I feel like in sims 1, 2, even 3 I enjoyed building and learned and improved a lot.

So here I am in sims 4, which is Supposed to be "intuitive". And I am finding it NOT "intuitive " at all. Maybe it irks me they even threw about the word "intuitive" since IMO it is so Not intuitive!!!

The frustrating part, building, is that the very simplest little things have been changed. And yes I AM using the new sims 4 camera mode because I Thought I would get used to it and it's better to learn something new.

Delete a wall? Have to google it eventually just to frackin' figure out the simplest thing. In sims 1, 2, even 3 it just Told you how to do it where you clicked on the wall. But nope sims 4 is so "intuitive" I guess our intuition just leads us to know.

Delete the floor tile or wallpaper (not the whole floor or wall just the covering) well - my intuition would have me - click on it first! And everytime I do That (or anything else for that matter) the Whole House , the room , all of it is highlighted and it wants to know if I want to move the whole house!

No, I don't want to move the whole house everytime I click my mouse! Nor do I want the useless and annoying tutorial, thanks!

I almost feel about to give up, because I feel like I'm wasting too much time.

Do you think this game is - or isn't "intuitive" ?

I agree. I can build ten times faster using the old ways in the other games than I can this game. And when they said the 'old way' would still be there is absolutely false. Point in case. If I want to extend a floor out past the second floor in the past I would have just tiled it out passed the second floor since a grid would be there when going up to the second floor in order for me to tile that area if I wished. So, I can build an overhang or just a porch/deck. Now, this is no longer possible. No, I have to take three more extra steps. One, place a flat box hanging out in the air next to where the second floor ends. Two, spend time shrinking it down to the size I want it to be. Three, tile it. Four, hope I can remove a wall without removing an entire box. Five, place a rail or do it automatically. That is five extra steps I would not have to do the old way.

Point: columns, enough said.

Though I was able to build one or two lots with more flare (but not due to the new tools) than an average player, It took me maybe ten times longer. I really do miss the old tools being in the game and after I exhausted what I wanted to try I am no longer building at all.

Example: simple five room house in TS3 with old tools...five minutes. Simple five room house and placing the roof to fit correctly and actually look structurally sound, three or so hours.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    zorba2357 wrote: »
    At first I thought I just needed to devote some time to it, and practice. I read the "lessons" and some tutorials. I started building a house, and have been trying to go there a little each day, even though I don't have a lot of time IRL.

But I feel just as frustrated as day 1, if not more so. I'm not the greatest most elaborate builder BUT I feel like in sims 1, 2, even 3 I enjoyed building and learned and improved a lot.

So here I am in sims 4, which is Supposed to be "intuitive". And I am finding it NOT "intuitive " at all. Maybe it irks me they even threw about the word "intuitive" since IMO it is so Not intuitive!!!

The frustrating part, building, is that the very simplest little things have been changed. And yes I AM using the new sims 4 camera mode because I Thought I would get used to it and it's better to learn something new.

Delete a wall? Have to google it eventually just to frackin' figure out the simplest thing. In sims 1, 2, even 3 it just Told you how to do it where you clicked on the wall. But nope sims 4 is so "intuitive" I guess our intuition just leads us to know.

Delete the floor tile or wallpaper (not the whole floor or wall just the covering) well - my intuition would have me - click on it first! And everytime I do That (or anything else for that matter) the Whole House , the room , all of it is highlighted and it wants to know if I want to move the whole house!

No, I don't want to move the whole house everytime I click my mouse! Nor do I want the useless and annoying tutorial, thanks!

I almost feel about to give up, because I feel like I'm wasting too much time.

Do you think this game is - or isn't "intuitive" ?

I think the game is and isn't "intuitive depending on what you are doing, build mode was something i hated with a passion when i first started playing but have since grown to love it. Im still not 100% happy with the whole room thing that 4 has going on simply because I have found many times that the game will not register the room as a room even if i rebuild it (and it always happens once ive built the whole house so i have to do it all again either that or i cant delete a wall as it wont let me!!!). i know that's something im doing wrong but it would help if the game would tell me what it was i had done. The floor tiles are just ridiculous i dont understand why you cant just place tiles again and use Ctrl to delete! The floor tile issue makes it really hard when your trying to make a nice staircase with banisters.
    Cyprus wrote: »
    There's quite a few annoying bugs with the build mode at the moment. Issues with editing closed rooms (knocking walls down) and putting them back in, moreso on upper floors of homes, along with the complication of building balconies requiring multiple steps and backtracks to create...it's definitely not as fluid or perfect as sims 3. Many times when I'd delete walls and close them again for w/e reason it wouldn't recognize it as a closed room again and it would have all the effects of outdoors...sunlight...brights, no auto-floor and you can't do floor fill on the room because it's "outside" even when it has a roof, and enclosed walls. <br />
    <br />
    You can't edit cieling colors like the sims 3, which is minor but what's the point of advancing a game and then backtracking? On certain aspects...architecturally, I like this game as much or more than 3 because you can make for a really nice/realistic exterior look to a home other than lack of colors and a few key items like garage doors.<br />
    <br />
    The sledgehammer and move tools are to universal...they should have separate modes or versions of the "move/arrow" instead of it doing everything it does. Should be different for moving items and house/room/walls.

I hope they add ceilings back in so you can see them with the walls cut away, atm you can only see them with the walls up. Also put an option in like the sims 2 had to turn them on and off as i thought that was handy to have
  • CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I'm not doubting your frustration is real but I find it hard to understand to be honest. Build mode is one of the only things this game has got going for it. I find it incredibly intuitive and very similar to the previous games in terms of deleting things. The roofing tool takes patience to look right, we could use a automatic option but if you put in the effort to conscruct one yourself, it usually ends up looking pretty good. Even the botched up ones i've made look sort of cool.

Dragging and moving houses is such an awesome feature. I have nothing but love for the build mode gurus and most seem to approve.

Anyway if you stick at it you'll get the hang of it in no time and hopefully start to appreciate how good it is.
    Build mode was meant to be easier for people who wouldn't normally build, i have been building since the sims 1 and even i found it difficult. I dont think its build modes fault at all i think it just depends on how quickly you can get used to using it if that makes sense. Quiet alot of the features are new or have had changes so as a long term builder i did struggle with the little things like adding a foundation.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    CrackFox wrote: »
    I'm not doubting your frustration is real but I find it hard to understand to be honest. Build mode is one of the only things this game has got going for it. I find it incredibly intuitive and very similar to the previous games in terms of deleting things. The roofing tool takes patience to look right, we could use a automatic option but if you put in the effort to conscruct one yourself, it usually ends up looking pretty good. Even the botched up ones i've made look sort of cool.

Dragging and moving houses is such an awesome feature. I have nothing but love for the build mode gurus and most seem to approve.

Anyway if you stick at it you'll get the hang of it in no time and hopefully start to appreciate how good it is.

Did you build much in the TS2 or TS3? I'm not sure you are actually aware of what has changed so dramatically that isn't even possible anymore, no offense, but just wondering since I see these type comments from people sometimes, not necessarily you per se but in general who never actually built things in the other games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    MoveHouse.jpg

Hello kremesch73. I don't have a pic of it and am not going to load the game right now. I hate to admit my Thanksgiving dishes are all awaiting me in the kitchen. Ugh! We did Thanksgiving on Saturday instead of Thursday because of work schedules. I was happy to have turkey but then ill last night, I think I plain ate too much turkey! If I didn't have so much RL chores and cleaning all the time , maybe I could work on my sims' house more!

Anyhow , when I left click on ANY wall or floor segment, a box comes up , and all the house and room is highlighted in white. The box has a big green 4 way arrow in the middle, and on either side an arrow. The big green 4 way arrow always has option to move entire structure. I have not used and didn't even see the one you show in your pic there at the top panel.

Can someone clue me in on "Auto-Windows" ? Pretty please? I haven't seen this at all, didn't know it existed. How do I find and use it? Does IT choose the windows for you? Or do you choose a window style and then it automatically places what you've chosen?
    edited December 2014
    steve7859 wrote: »
    Build mode was meant to be easier for people who wouldn't normally build, i have been building since the sims 1 and even i found it difficult. I dont think its build modes fault at all i think it just depends on how quickly you can get used to using it if that makes sense. Quiet alot of the features are new or have had changes so as a long term builder i did struggle with the little things like adding a foundation.

I have done my share of building in sims 1, 2, and even 3. So yes, I agree it's just what you are accustomed to.

If I've spent 14 years LEFT CLICKING the wall or floor itself Any Time I want to make a change - When I come into THIS game and left click and get a fancy option to move the whole bleepin' house I'm like "huh? Huh? huh?!!!"

It's not really my intention to criticise the devs or gurus or creators or the build mode itself. Hopefully I can continue on and get used to it. I'm just expressing my frustration at spending yet another hour or so trying to remove 1 bleepin' wall segment , or change the carpet pattern!!! (And feeling like a dang dummy in the process!).

And this is AFTER initially reading ALL the in-game lessons AND watching a tutorial or two on it.

I think as cinebar and steve7859 and others have said, it just becomes second nature to left click if you have Done It That Way for 14 years!!