Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too Much Meaningless Gameplay

I'm playing Sims 4. I'm adapting to Sims 4. All the same, I still find it lacking in many areas. Sometimes I feel the development team was more concerned with being "cute" than with creating a satisfying gaming experience for sim players.

The game, it seems, is filled with menu choices that, as far as I can tell, don't really do anything. Much of it is tied to the over-hyped "emotion" system. An example is the option -- while feeling confident, I think -- to "pee like a champion." Real cute, EA. But how does this affect gameplay? Does peeing like a champion make my sim's life better in some way? I don't think so.

Some of my sims have developed the ability to "analyze" books they read. Yeah, so? What effect does that have on my sims? Does it affect anything in the sim's life? Does it change anything in the way my sim responds to life events? I don't think so.

It's interesting, I suppose, to open a menu and see a variety of choices -- talk about dreams, share brilliant idea, enthuse about space -- and I do see that in some instances, it can help sims "connect" with others who share similar traits. But so many of those options seem pointless, really. They don't add anything to the "gameplay" of creating/simulating an individual's life experience. They don't shape the sim's personality. They don't lead to different outcomes for the sim. They're meaningless.

That's how I see it, but maybe I'm missing something. Do any of these options have any consequences or significant life changes as a result?

Comments

• Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Lol. No way Jose.
    Sorry I had to do it.
    - Going back to your post. I definitely agree with you. The Sims Team has a bit of work on their hands to polish up this game.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I'm playing Sims 4. I'm adapting to Sims 4. All the same, I still find it lacking in many areas. Sometimes I feel the development team was more concerned with being "cute" than with creating a satisfying gaming experience for sim players.

The game, it seems, is filled with menu choices that, as far as I can tell, don't really do anything. Much of it is tied to the over-hyped "emotion" system. An example is the option -- while feeling confident, I think -- to "pee like a champion." Real cute, EA. But how does this affect gameplay? Does peeing like a champion make my sim's life better in some way? I don't think so.

Some of my sims have developed the ability to "analyze" books they read. Yeah, so? What effect does that have on my sims? Does it affect anything in the sim's life? Does it change anything in the way my sim responds to life events? I don't think so.

It's interesting, I suppose, to open a menu and see a variety of choices -- talk about dreams, share brilliant idea, enthuse about space -- and I do see that in some instances, it can help sims "connect" with others who share similar traits. But so many of those options seem pointless, really. They don't add anything to the "gameplay" of creating/simulating an individual's life experience. They don't shape the sim's personality. They don't lead to different outcomes for the sim. They're meaningless.

That's how I see it, but maybe I'm missing something. Do any of these options have any consequences or significant life changes as a result?

They had them in TS3 as well. They make me smile if nothing else. If they make me smile, I assume they do others, which is, I'd assume the entire point.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member

Man, you just articulated why I haven't been able to fall in love with TS4 and why I hated TS3. It just feels like you are reading actions and interactions. This why it was hard for me to become attached to my sims and why it was easy to stash the game away without looking back.

An example of the opposite is in TS2 when you skill up a sim's creativity and then when you leave that sim alone out of the blue they start whistling. Or you set a sim to be lazy and then later when you direct them to make their bed, they stop what they're doing, look up at you, frown and say something along the lines of "Aw, come on... seriously?!"

No gabazillion menu items needed for those moments of sheer charm and delight.

Yeah, that's why I loved Sims 2 and was so attached to my sims. They had real personality and their interactions (with us and with other sims) were priceless. I still laugh when I think of the time a big bully met with a rather unfortunate accident...and all the sims in the room high-fived each other. LOL. Makes me wonder, you know...was it really an accident? Yeah, times that like. I wish we had them in this game.

• Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Lol. No way Jose.<br />
    Sorry I had to do it.<br />
    - Going back to your post. I definitely agree with you. The Sims Team has a bit of work on their hands to polish up this game.

ba-dum-tss-animated.gif
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    I clearly remember Don Lothario giving me The Look when I ordered him to mop the floor....he was a slob, you know. I wish my computer was able to handle TS2. I miss Brandi and her kids.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. Could you give me an example of meaningful gameplay in a previous sims game?

- skilling up sims increases their interests in different categories and gives them unique autonomous actions as well as expands their want types.
    - directing sims to go on vacations enables them to have autonomous conversations about their trip at dinner parties
    - directing a sim to take a photo allows them to later buy a photo album which they can pass down to their families for generations to come
    - if your sim loses a fight or gets dumped, they might easily become the local gossip in the neighbourhood
    - personality traits matter and affect gameplay, family-oriented sims will tuck their kids in caress their cheeks and read them a bedtime story
    - special traits that sims get enable them to make more money, heal illnesses, stay home longer to raise families with less nanny care
    - encouraging children would change their personalities so sim parents could make a shy sim outgoing just through gameplay and without a cheat
    - learning how to cook could improve your mini-game score with the private school headmaster, and going on vacation could do that as well, or having tons of money and living in a swanked out house with a jacuzzi and cappuccino machine
    - sims who had a shy trait actually had work harder at dating
    - reading a specific book could change the way your sim skilled, handled fires, or anticipated their baby's needs
    - cheering up a sim was a unique/rare interaction that made it a treat in gameplay
    - etc.

* - My serious sim once lectured his son when he walked in the room and saw the boy jumping on the bed, this only ever happened once and I don't know if it was supposed to do that or if it was a glitch, but it was perfect because that was the type of rapport I had imagined for this family... I only needed it once.

You know...a lot of the things you mentioned are expansion pack things. Like vacation. Yes, I totally expect my sims to autonomously talk about something that isn't even possible yet.
    Reading books that help with fires, child care...again. an expansion pack. I could see how it would work in the base game, but again...not fair to compare base game with expansion.

Seeing how there is no interests, your first point is moot. I have noticed that gaining skills in certain things does increase a chance for them to do it autonomously. My painter never painted on her own until she got to lvl 4ish. Now I can't stop her when she's inspired or happy. My gamer is always doing livestreams autonomously. They may not be entirely unique, but their skills do influence what they do autonomously.

I have a funny story too, that proves to me that ts4 is almost as alive as ts2 is. My childish (and insane) YA sim was just sitting at her desk, talking to her lamp, and angry because of the random insane moodlet, and she was hungry (I won't let her cook lol).
    Her mom was in a bad mood, she had just found out she was pregnant and she hates children. She was tense from that and work. As soon as she came home from work, she marched to her daughter's room and destroyed her dollhouse.
    Instead of being upset at the destroyed dollhouse, she started to do negative socials with her mom. They were friends, and now they aren't. This was all autonomously done. Based on traits, and emotions.

I'm not sure what you do in ts4 to make it seem so lifeless, or that the traits and emotions don't matter. Because there's a few people that have experienced life and working traits and emotions. It's not flawless, but neither was ts2.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    candace92 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. Could you give me an example of meaningful gameplay in a previous sims game?

- skilling up sims increases their interests in different categories and gives them unique autonomous actions as well as expands their want types.
    - directing sims to go on vacations enables them to have autonomous conversations about their trip at dinner parties
    - directing a sim to take a photo allows them to later buy a photo album which they can pass down to their families for generations to come
    - if your sim loses a fight or gets dumped, they might easily become the local gossip in the neighbourhood
    - personality traits matter and affect gameplay, family-oriented sims will tuck their kids in caress their cheeks and read them a bedtime story
    - special traits that sims get enable them to make more money, heal illnesses, stay home longer to raise families with less nanny care
    - encouraging children would change their personalities so sim parents could make a shy sim outgoing just through gameplay and without a cheat
    - learning how to cook could improve your mini-game score with the private school headmaster, and going on vacation could do that as well, or having tons of money and living in a swanked out house with a jacuzzi and cappuccino machine
    - reading a specific book could change the way your sim skilled, handled fires, or anticipated their baby's needs
    - cheering up a sim was a unique/rare interaction that made it a treat in gameplay
    - etc.

* - My serious sim once lectured his son when he walked in the room and saw the boy jumping on the bed, this only ever happened once and I don't know if it was supposed to do that or if it was a glitch, but it was perfect because that was the type of rapport I had imagined for this family... I only needed it once.

You know...a lot of the things you mentioned are expansion pack things. Like vacation. Yes, I totally expect my sims to autonomously talk about something that isn't even possible yet.
    Reading books that help with fires, child care...again. an expansion pack. I could see how it would work in the base game, but again...not fair to compare base game with expansion.

Seeing how there is no interests, your first point is moot. I have noticed that gaining skills in certain things does increase a chance for them to do it autonomously. My painter never painted on her own until she got to lvl 4ish. Now I can't stop her when she's inspired or happy. My gamer is always doing livestreams autonomously. They may not be entirely unique, but their skills do influence what they do autonomously.

I have a funny story too, that proves to me that ts4 is almost as alive as ts2 is. My childish (and insane) YA sim was just sitting at her desk, talking to her lamp, and angry because of the random insane moodlet, and she was hungry (I won't let her cook lol).
    Her mom was in a bad mood, she had just found out she was pregnant and she hates children. She was tense from that and work. As soon as she came home from work, she marched to her daughter's room and destroyed her dollhouse.
    Instead of being upset at the destroyed dollhouse, she started to do negative socials with her mom. They were friends, and now they aren't. This was all autonomously done. Based on traits, and emotions.

I'm not sure what you do in ts4 to make it seem so lifeless, or that the traits and emotions don't matter. Because there's a few people that have experienced life and working traits and emotions. It's not flawless, but neither was ts2.

You're right a lot of the actions come from EPs, which is why I am reserving my judgement of TS4 until the EPs come out. I have said repeatedly that I think TS4 has potential. Right now however, it's boring and I am very biased as I loathed TS3 like a no-good cheating ex-boyfriend, so anything that reminds me of TS3 (like these pointless menus) is going to get a thumbs down.

As for meaningless actions that make simmers smile, I enjoy watching my sims do quirky things, not reading about it pie menus. I tried watching my music sim initially in TS4 but all he did was read books and watch TV... oh and he drank a lot of milk autonomously. I had to direct him to do everything else. And I like sims that let me know when I'm forcing them to do something that goes against their grain or when I've done a good job. Someone mentioned earlier how that 4th wall makes a difference... TS2 sims did things with personality and when they felt things you *saw* them feel it. "Pee like a Champ" and "Angry Poop" are not endearing. Giving me a thumbs up when I direct them to "make out" is endearing... just my opinon :)

TS2 was definitely not flawless, I play with so many annoyance_fix mods that they could've been their own EP!
  • Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    I'm hoping our sims develop more in the future, but I do already see some things I loved from past games. Many of my sims definitely give me "the look" when I tell them to do something they'd rather not given their personalities. If you have high free will on and stop queuing actions after you've been micromanaging them, they will often look "right at you" as if they're wondering what's going on.

And, my buddy Will here certainly knows how to pee like a champion lol
    Will.png
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member

Yup pretty much this. Instead of "Share Brilliant Idea" you literally could've said something else like, "Tell an Unbelievable Story" and the outcome would've been the same. It is all very pointless.
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    In other words we don't want things that seem pointless and doesn't benefit the gameplay in some way. If doing some of these things give the sims a buff of sorts - then fine - but if it is pointless - then it just becomes annoying after the 4th or 5th time of seeing it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Oh, the "analyze book" is annoying. No moodlet, I don't believe it counts as a book read, and it doesn't even give the same type of boost to focus that "study" does. It's the only thing I see added to the "bookworm" trait and it does nothing at all except waste time.

In Sims 3 half of my sims were bookworms. In sims 4, none are as it does nothing.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    candace92 wrote: »

- etc.

You're right a lot of the actions come from EPs, which is why I am reserving my judgement of TS4 until the EPs come out. I have said repeatedly that I think TS4 has potential. Right now however, it's boring and I am very biased as I loathed TS3 like a no-good cheating ex-boyfriend, so anything that reminds me of TS3 (like these pointless menus) is going to get a thumbs down.

As for meaningless actions that make simmers smile, I enjoy watching my sims do quirky things, not reading about it pie menus. I tried watching my music sim initially in TS4 but all he did was read books and watch TV... oh and he drank a lot of milk autonomously. I had to direct him to do everything else. And I like sims that let me know when I'm forcing them to do something that goes against their grain or when I've done a good job. Someone mentioned earlier how that 4th wall makes a difference... TS2 sims did things with personality and when they felt things you *saw* them feel it. "Pee like a Champ" and "Angry Poop" are not endearing. Giving me a thumbs up when I direct them to "make out" is endearing... just my opinon :)

TS2 was definitely not flawless, I play with so many annoyance_fix mods that they could've been their own EP!

Even without eps though, they broke that forth wall & had so much personality.

Sorry if I repeat some stuff you mentioned, but in ts2 the kids would stop what they're doing to run outside & hug their parents when they come home from work. When they got an A they would wave their report cards in the parents face.

Little things like when my sim is playing piano really well, others notice & cheer without having to watch.

Couples In love or really attracted to one another will swoon.

So much more I'm missing, but just my observations since I went back to ts2.
  • Options
    Also each interaction had a point in ts2 it wasn't just quirky text.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I also love all the "in love" reactions of newlyweds on honeymoons in the Sims 2. Neither Sims 3 or Sims 4 has any of that kind of thing. I especially hated trying to take newlyweds on a honeymoon in Sims 3, as all they got was a bad reputation and made to feel bad for being in love. Very disrespectful to give sims a bad reputation for showing affection on their honeymoon and then having to spend useless time both in the WA worlds and their home world trying to repair their reputation. I do hope Maxis does not repeat that in Sims 4, but instead they need to go back to Sims 2 and see what a honeymoon needs to be like in the game if they can't remember. We DO need honeymoons offered after a wedding - but do it right. We do need even sims falling in love to not get belittled and bad rumors about them in Sims 4. Those thing irratated me to no end in Sims 3 - i pray they do not repeat any of that in Sims 3 - but step back to how it was done in Sims 2.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I also love all the "in love" reactions of newlyweds on honeymoons in the Sims 2. Neither Sims 3 or Sims 4 has any of that kind of thing. I especially hated trying to take newlyweds on a honeymoon in Sims 3, as all they got was a bad reputation and made to feel bad for being in love. Very disrespectful to give sims a bad reputation for showing affection on their honeymoon and then having to spend useless time both in the WA worlds and their home world trying to repair their reputation. I do hope Maxis does not repeat that in Sims 4, but instead they need to go back to Sims 2 and see what a honeymoon needs to be like in the game if they can't remember. We DO need honeymoons offered after a wedding - but do it right. We do need even sims falling in love to not get belittled and bad rumors about them in Sims 4. Those thing irratated me to no end in Sims 3 - i pray they do not repeat any of that in Sims 3 - but step back to how it was done in Sims 2.

Bad reputation and then they were cheaters? I like to see that you get revamped as well. If someone saw them cheating and went around gossiping about it and that's how they got their reputation that would be okay... But not just knowing out of nowhere that's not okay.

I loved honeymoons in ts2...even before Bon voyage a limo would pick them up & it was so cute. Not just a moodlet.
  • Options
    GlamourSimmerGlamourSimmer Posts: 238 Member
    I was so happy to get the sims 4! I am a huge fan of Sims 2 so I was expecting some really cool things. However, I feel like they just made the base game plain so that they can release expansions for us to pay for it or maybe they would do it for free but i doubt it. I totally agree with you about options. I really have to go out of my way to make it interesting cause I make gameplay for my gaming channel. I am hoping as we keep playing the game, we find some more interesting and different things that we can play with.
    Sim is life !
    Gaming Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdolzKVXRHZhBiMKXTdofw ( Don't be afraid to go subscribe )
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    Never enjoyed TS2 as they all had lobster-claw hands and fingers and looked and acted like robots. Don't know where you people are getting these vibrant, colorful personalities from and this apparent superior personality point system from but I'd sure like to try that game sometime.

Anyway, what is it with this back-and-forth between wanting every little thing to give a Sim a buff then complaining when something seems like it's only there to make it easier to do something? Most of the socials are just that; socials. They're just Sims chatting and different Sims respond differently to them. That's it. Angry poop and Pee like a Champion are stupid and pointless; the entire Confident emotion seems to be pointless too. If every interaction gave some sort of buff, people would be flocking to the forums complaining about it.

...I don't understand the people on this forum.

Or also, I thought analyzing books gave the inspired mood sometimes? I swear I've had it happen.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Never enjoyed TS2 as they all had lobster-claw hands and fingers and looked and acted like robots. Don't know where you people are getting these vibrant, colorful personalities from and this apparent superior personality point system from but I'd sure like to try that game sometime.

Anyway, what is it with this back-and-forth between wanting every little thing to give a Sim a buff then complaining when something seems like it's only there to make it easier to do something? Most of the socials are just that; socials. They're just Sims chatting and different Sims respond differently to them. That's it. Angry poop and Pee like a Champion are stupid and pointless; the entire Confident emotion seems to be pointless too. If every interaction gave some sort of buff, people would be flocking to the forums complaining about it.

Or also, I thought analyzing books gave the inspired mood sometimes? I swear I've had it happen.

First of all, try TS2 and all of its expansions if you haven't already. Then you'll see what most are talking about.

Anyway, it's not about making the game easier or harder, it's just the fact those said interactions have no depth at all.
  • Options

Lmao! Robots, are you serious? You're the first person I've ever heard called ts2 sims robots. I think we're playing different games.

• Options
    Alistair_32Alistair_32 Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Sk8rblaze I love your sig. I crack up each time
    tumblr_mj9x6d9JGq1qfirpxo1_250.gif