Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Sims 3 players allowed...

Although there is no oversized, boldly colored sign stating such this is how I feel about this website: No Sims 3 players allowed.

I have played The Sims franchise for years. Purchased the games, the expansions, stuff packs, and store items. When I get bored with the game, I create a fresh one by renovating a home, building a new lot, or an entire world. Then I jump back into the game and play some more on the news stuff. I come to the threads almost daily to see what other simmers are doing in their game and what lots or worlds they have created.

While there is a section for The Sims 3, it is poorly designed and organized. Finding what I am looking for gets difficult. The “Best of…” section is congested with posts regarding TS4, which useless to me as a TS3 player. While I have hidden all the TS4 categories, it seems I cannot escape them entirely.

I understand that Maxis is excited about TS4 and want to showcase it…however, I have to wonder at the complete abandonment of those consumers that choose to remain with the older version. I have no intensions of purchasing TS4: truth of it is that I would not play the version if it were gifted to me. I dislike the way it looks. The bold colors, bloated/boxy appearance of items, and over-zealous animation are just too cartoonish for my tastes. Maxis could add every single feature from TS3 into TS4 but it will not change the odd appearance of the game for me.

So…I do not like TS4. Is it my fault? Not really. TS4 was designed and marketed for children, which does not fit my demographic. I do not focus my life on parties, romance, or socializing and neither do my Sims. My Sims comes into the game in a family package. They focus on careers, family, exploring their world, and relating to their neighbors who also have spouses and children.

Since I obviously do not fit in with the TS4 crowd, I am wondering: am I and others like me, going to be banished to the shadows? Has Maxis and EA marketing personnel considered the long term consequences of alienating the more mature The Sims players….the creators…the legacy players? Those players that choose to stay with TS3 are not "hating" on Maxis or EA for creating a game that we cannot enjoy. Most of us are willing to wait to see what the next version TS5 has to offer us. However, if TS3 players are treated poorly in the meantime, it is a strong possibility that they will move on to another game and no longer follow the Maxis franchise. The creators, legacy players, long-term fans might well be gone forever.

While some might see addressing the needs of those that still play TS3 as feeding dead livestock, other might consider it as maintaining and preserving for the future. These players funded the TS4 and deserve more than an occasional disapproving backward glance.

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I disagree. What about those of us that play both TS3 and TS4?
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I am not sure what you disagree with.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    Although there is no oversized, boldly colored sign stating such this is how I feel about this website: No Sims 3 players allowed.

I have played The Sims franchise for years. Purchased the games, the expansions, stuff packs, and store items. When I get bored with the game, I create a fresh one by renovating a home, building a new lot, or an entire world. Then I jump back into the game and play some more on the news stuff. I come to the threads almost daily to see what other simmers are doing in their game and what lots or worlds they have created.

While there is a section for The Sims 3, it is poorly designed and organized. Finding what I am looking for gets difficult. The “Best of…” section is congested with posts regarding TS4, which useless to me as a TS3 player. While I have hidden all the TS4 categories, it seems I cannot escape them entirely.

I understand that Maxis is excited about TS4 and want to showcase it…however, I have to wonder at the complete abandonment of those consumers that choose to remain with the older version. I have no intensions of purchasing TS4: truth of it is that I would not play the version if it were gifted to me. I dislike the way it looks. The bold colors, bloated/boxy appearance of items, and over-zealous animation are just too cartoonish for my tastes. Maxis could add every single feature from TS3 into TS4 but it will not change the odd appearance of the game for me.

So…I do not like TS4. Is it my fault? Not really. TS4 was designed and marketed for children, which does not fit my demographic. I do not focus my life on parties, romance, or socializing and neither do my Sims. My Sims comes into the game in a family package. They focus on careers, family, exploring their world, and relating to their neighbors who also have spouses and children.

Since I obviously do not fit in with the TS4 crowd, I am wondering: am I and others like me, going to be banished to the shadows? Has Maxis and EA marketing personnel considered the long term consequences of alienating the more mature The Sims players….the creators…the legacy players? Those players that choose to stay with TS3 are not "hating" on Maxis or EA for creating a game that we cannot enjoy. Most of us are willing to wait to see what the next version TS5 has to offer us. However, if TS3 players are treated poorly in the meantime, it is a strong possibility that they will move on to another game and no longer follow the Maxis franchise. The creators, legacy players, long-term fans might well be gone forever.

While some might see addressing the needs of those that still play TS3 as feeding dead livestock, other might consider it as maintaining and preserving for the future. These players funded the TS4 and deserve more than an occasional disapproving backward glance.

I really want them to open the TS3 site back up for those of us that still play it. I miss my wall though I rarely visited it but I did check in from time to time to see what others in my friends' list were doing and or post an update on my wall there. I also miss my studio though I didn't add much but liked sharing recolors there. Or tiny houses I built. Just for fun! I also miss being able to discuss the TS3 other than the general area like here on this site. And or be able to ask a question about an EP and eventually get an answer from other interested players. Here this TS3 seems dead and or just general and not that specific. Even in the EP threads here. There was a lot of stuff on the TS3 site and categorized to where I could find most of what I needed to know without using the silly search which never actually worked. But eventually found an answer without me having to search all that much. I really want them to reopen the TS3 site, and still don't understand why we got this watered down version here. I mean the Exchange is over there, shouldn't we be able to post over there to the creator etc. it doesn't make sense being here.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I am feeling that TS3 players are still wanting to share, but find a hard path to follow when searching for the thread they want to post in. I rarely look at the Exchange currently because it seems to be broken: I get an "object Error" on every click. This site is good if you are looking for information on TS4; everything else seems to be an afterthought.

Although, I try to be fair in my conclusions, it does appear to me that Maxis would like to sweep TS3 under the rug will painting our world with TS4. Maxis wants to sell their new product, I understand that. However, so, is it a good plan to alienate those that are not interested in TS4 when they might well be the ones to purchase the next version?

I am not interested in owning/playing TS4. I feel the continuous 'force-feeding' of this game will eventually cause me to walk away from the franchise. I will continue to play TS3, but I will no longer follow the franchise and will not make myself available for new products that may come along. I am near to there now. While I do not expect new items or EPs for TS3; I was expecting to be maintained. (Actually, I was hoping they would accept my idea of bringing CaW into a live version with more features, tools, and items to build with. But, I am not expecting it to happen.)