Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aging for "Active Household only" works not as expected -- an experiment in rotational gameplay

Okay, so I did an experiment with rotational gameplay. First I did a "save as," so I could return to my original family if this did not work.

For auto-aging, the setting was "Active Household Only," and for unplayed Sims it was "off."

I made note at the time I left my original household. It was in-game Saturday at 8:37 p.m. Female sim had 3 days left before aging to adult, and had just become pregnant. I noted the days to age-up for other family members as well.

I went to another house. It was in-game Saturday at 8:37 p.m. when I arrived. Single resident had 9 days left until age-up. I played there until in-game Tuesday at 2:58 a.m., at which point he was 6 days left until age-up, then returned to my original household.

At the original household, it was Tuesday 2:58 a.m., which surprised me because that's not how it worked in Sims 2. Female Sim had given birth (I was warned by others that this would happen). Her days left to age up was now 2, but I guess that's because I left them at 8:37 p.m. on one day and returned at 2:58 a.m. on another day, crossing the midnight line? All other Sims in the household also had their days to age up reduced by 1. If I had returned at at a time before midnight, I wonder if the aging would have been affected. I'll have to go back and try that in the next round.

So: it would appear you CAN engage in rotational play. However, things will not be frozen where you left them. Aging should not be affected, I guess, unless (possibly) you pass the midnight line; more trial needed on this one. Might be good to try to rotate at the same general time each time (like 5 a.m. or 10 p.m.). Also, pregnancies are not suspended. Sim will give birth.

Comments

• Options
    Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    I thought that pregnant sims don't age? Or is it that they don't grow up until they aren't pregnant? I believe it isn't like Sims 2 where if you leave them at 1pm and go play another household and leave them at, say, 10am the next morning it will be 10am when you switch back to tbe first household. As for the aging, I'm not having sims age at all.

Have you got the drop down menu after 'Autoage (Played Sims)' to 'Active Households Only'? And then the check box after 'Autoage (Unplayed Sims)' is unchecked? If so, then the game runs as normal but they don't lose days off their age. They still look young and ageless no matter how long you leave them. It's like turning off aging in Sims 3, but for all the story progression. Was their any changes to their relationships or wealth at all?
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    There needs to be a clear option for Aging Off for Everyone if TS2 players want to keep things 'frozen' as in TS2. Because either way you choose the settings in TS4 they don't seem to be actually stopping the Sim you left from carrying on with those important events like having a baby etc. that no TS2 player would want to miss in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Thanks for that. It would have been a surprise to me as I expected it to work like TS2.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited September 2014
    @MsPhy

I play a rotational style game. I currently have twelve households, and I rotate among them. Since I made the mistake of creating some of my sims as adults rather than young adults, I currently have turned aging completely off. I'm going to see if it's possible to manually age my sims when I want.

The only real problem I've found in my gameplay is that sims do give birth before I want them to. I'm hoping maybe there will be a way to "tweak" the length of time a sim remains pregnant. I have an "in-game" calendar that's part of my play style. So, I "pretend" it's January when I'm playing Sim A's household, then when I move to Sim B's household, it's "February"...and so on. Thus, if Sim A gets pregnant in January, I want to go back to that household 9 "months" later when my in-game rotation tells me it's October, and I want her to then have the baby. As it is now, the babies are born way ahead of my game schedule. I just have to live with it for now, but I've asked in the mods forum if there might be a way to adjust this.

Other than that, the rotational style is working well for me. My sims will go out, meet people, and make friends while I'm playing other households, but thank goodness, they don't have career promotions, change jobs, or conceive children on their own.

Good luck with your game play. I hope it works out for you and your sims, too.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Wait...so you're saying they still age? I have been playing 4 families, well, until one of them disappeared. Now I'm playing 3 families, but I haven't really paid much attention to their ages. That would ruin my game if they are actually aging without my consent.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm curious about what happens with things other than aging. Did you see any changes is relationships or skills? Or we're those other Sims pretty much in stasis?

Oh also - the date changes but they'll age up later now if not aged up manually, right? turning off aging us basically turning off aging *up*?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Wait...so you're saying they still age? I have been playing 4 families, well, until one of them disappeared. Now I'm playing 3 families, but I haven't really paid much attention to their ages. That would ruin my game if they are actually aging without my consent.
    I'm curious about what happens with things other than aging. Did you see any changes is relationships or skills? Or we're those other Sims pretty much in stasis?

Oh also - the date changes but they'll age up later now if not aged up manually, right? turning off aging us basically turning off aging *up*?

Sims won't age if aging is turned completely off. There are options in the game play settings that give us control over that aspect of the game. We can have it completely off, completely on, or on for ONLY our active family. But, aging on/off has no effect on pregnancy.

As far as other changes, no, I haven't seen skill changes...but, to be honest, I haven't really looked closely. I have seen some of my single sims start "lovebird" relationships with other sims. That's the only real change I've noticed though. I can live with that. I'd have a huge problem, though, if they got married, changed jobs, got pregnant, or moved away while I was playing other households.

This was why I couldn't play Sims 3. Even with "story progression off", it was a nightmare. I'd make a sim, put him in a Level 1 job with only a few simoleons, and after playing a few other households, I'd return to find him at the top of his career with hundreds of thousands of simoleons. It was an nightmare for me...enough to make me quit playing.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Have you got the drop down menu after 'Autoage (Played Sims)' to 'Active Households Only'? And then the check box after 'Autoage (Unplayed Sims)' is unchecked? If so, then the game runs as normal but they don't lose days off their age. They still look young and ageless no matter how long you leave them. It's like turning off aging in Sims 3, but for all the story progression. Was their any changes to their relationships or wealth at all?

See above. Autoage was set to Active Households Only.

No. If Autoage is set to Active Households Only, it appears that time does, indeed, pass (the unplayed Sims are not frozen), but they (probably) do not age if you return around the same time of day you left. My Sims aged 1 day, but the played Sim aged 3 days. However, I returned to the house in the wee hours of the morning instead of at night, so I'm thinking that's what caused the one day aging. I need to test this more.

I should note that my Sims were not at home when I returned to them (I left them at home). The adults had gone out to a venue.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »

No. If Autoage is set to Active Households Only, it appears that time does, indeed, pass (the unplayed Sims are not frozen), but they (probably) do not age if you return around the same time of day you left. My Sims aged 1 day, but the played Sim aged 3 days. However, I returned to the house in the wee hours of the morning instead of at night, so I'm thinking that's what caused the one day aging. I need to test this more.

I should note that my Sims were not at home when I returned to them (I left them at home). The adults had gone out to a venue.

Then this means there is some type of story progression in TS4. Because in TS2 Sims would have been home when you went back to their house, though they may have been on community lots when you visited lots as another Sim. They still would be at home when you got there. This is one weird SP imho. It's not TS3 nor TS2 style SP at all.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I agree. Other than pregnancies, rotational gameplay is great! I make sure to play through the whole pregnancy so I can experience it, but otherwise, I rotate as desired. I'm so glad that it's back!

Sims with the Romantic trait will likely develop romantic connections while you are not playing them. This doesn't seem to interfere with current relationships since there is no jealousy or reputations (yay), so just ignore the person and the relationship will decay and disappear. For sims that I never want to flirt with anyone else, I don't give them that trait. It's easy enough to make sims flirty without them having the trait.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    CaecusLacrimaCaecusLacrima Posts: 803 Member
    When they mentioned rotational gameplay, I never assumed that my families would actually 'freeze' when I'm not playing them. I thought it was pretty clear that they would continue 'living' so to speak, they just wouldn't age up, whereas the unplayed Sims would.

It never occurred to me that others would take rotational gameplay to mean something slightly different. Personally, I'm glad that my families don't freeze, that's one aspect I hated about TS2. To play with one family in the morning, then switch to another to have it be nighttime, nah, TS4 does it better, imo.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    MsPhy wrote: »

Then this means there is some type of story progression in TS4. Because in TS2 Sims would have been home when you went back to their house, though they may have been on community lots when you visited lots as another Sim. They still would be at home when you got there. This is one weird SP imho. It's not TS3 nor TS2 style SP at all.

Yeah. I think I can work with it, but I want to make sure I understand exactly how it all works before I really get into it. Keeping a log of my "Save as" games so I can go back if things don't work out at some point. I'm going back so I can be there for the birth of Alice's baby. As long as the family members do not age while I'm gone, I'm okay with them not being frozen in place. I'll just make sure to be there for the babies. I'm still going to go back and test whether returning to my first family at a similar time of day as when I left them makes any difference on the aging, as I was surprised to see that 1-day difference.
  • Options
    simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    Hey all, not sure if I missed anyone else mentioning this, so apologies if repeating, but the options for auto-aging are for "played sims" and "unplayed sims", rather than "active". Played sims are all those sims you have played in the game, irrespective of if you are playing them at the moment ... at least that's what I take it to mean, because if you look in household management, sims are split into "played" and "unplayed", including those who don't have playable homes. I think this means that if you switch auto-aging off for unplayed then rotate round, the households you have played will continue to age and sims you haven't played won't ... this even includes sims you played in a household, then moved them out to be "not in world". This is nothing like the Sims 2 rotational style.

However the rest of it seems pretty much like Sims 2 from what I have seen in my game, because besides aging there is minimal progression in any of the households, unless I actively get involved. Other households only get jobs and have families if I jump in and make it so, and it looks like other households only socially interact with each other and other sims if the household I am playing is involved somehow ... so the sims who are in the public spaces or the community lots my household visit have their relationship bars go up with whoever it is they are with. I have moved sims into existing households, even made spouses, left them alone and then later when I have checked on them to see what's happened, they don't even know each other, even when I have edited them to be spouses. I also have the option switched on for other sims to move into empty lots, and have not seen that happen once yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Hey all, not sure if I missed anyone else mentioning this, so apologies if repeating, but the options for auto-aging are for "played sims" and "unplayed sims", rather than "active". Played sims are all those sims you have played in the game, irrespective of if you are playing them at the moment ... at least that's what I take it to mean, because if you look in household management, sims are split into "played" and "unplayed", including those who don't have playable homes. I think this means that if you switch auto-aging off for unplayed then rotate round, the households you have played will continue to age and sims you haven't played won't ... this even includes sims you played in a household, then moved them out to be "not in world". This is nothing like the Sims 2 rotational style.

However the rest of it seems pretty much like Sims 2 from what I have seen in my game, because besides aging there is minimal progression in any of the households, unless I actively get involved. Other households only get jobs and have families if I jump in and make it so, and it looks like other households only socially interact with each other and other sims if the household I am playing is involved somehow ... so the sims who are in the public spaces or the community lots my household visit have their relationship bars go up with whoever it is they are with. I have moved sims into existing households, even made spouses, left them alone and then later when I have checked on them to see what's happened, they don't even know each other, even when I have edited them to be spouses. I also have the option switched on for other sims to move into empty lots, and have not seen that happen once yet.

There are two aging boxes. I don't have access to the game at present, so no screenshot, but one is for unplayed Sims (townies and households you've never played), which you can toggle on and off.

The other box has a drop-down menu for your played Sims (any household you've played, even for a minute). From the drop-down you can choose no aging, played Sims, or active household only.

Played Sims means that any households you've played, even for a minute, will age right along with the household you're playing.

Active household only means only the household you're playing right now will age. The Sims you are not playing will not freeze in time like in TS2; the days pass for them, and they might not be at home when you go back to them, but they will not have had days subtracted from their lifespan (i.e., they don't age when you're not playing them).

Honestly, I missed the "active household only" the first time I examined the menu, so I wondered later if it came with a patch. It might just have been me not noticing, however. Go into your game an see if you can see what I see.
  • Options
    PlayerLiberty1PlayerLiberty1 Posts: 45 Member
    i am playing with auto age off for "active household only "as well as "unplayed households". i planned to manage a world in rotational gameplay. i figured since there was no sp i could decide everyone relationships when it came to romance. i would have couples paired up and eventually have everyone start a family at the same time. i was wrong. when i started playing other households i noticed the unplayed sims started relationships and crushes with certain sims .i expected they would meet and have friendships, but i just didnt expect some of them to have started romantic relationships. some of them are with married sims !? i also noticed so many npc's are roaming around are now elders ,since time stood still for everyone except the them. ummmmmm.......now what do i do to salvage my game plan ? "Weider Stories" was not what i was going for .
  • Options
    simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    bloomin eck I never saw the active household only!! Maybe it was added later, what a pain LOL, I will have to give that a try.
  • Options
    i am playing with auto age off for "active household only "as well as "unplayed households". i planned to manage a world in rotational gameplay. i figured since there was no sp i could decide everyone relationships when it came to romance. i would have couples paired up and eventually have everyone start a family at the same time. i was wrong. when i started playing other households i noticed the unplayed sims started relationships and crushes with certain sims .i expected they would meet and have friendships, but i just didnt expect some of them to have started romantic relationships. some of them are with married sims !? i also noticed so many npc's are roaming around are now elders ,since time stood still for everyone except the them. ummmmmm.......now what do i do to salvage my game plan ? "Weider Stories" was not what i was going for .

I've heard tales of romances starting when you're playing another house. I'm just going to ignore them if I don't want to play them. I might even invite that Sim over and be mean ;-)

As for the NPCs, that's why I left aging off for them. You can replace them with Sims from the gallery if you want, or I believe once they all die the game will repopulate.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I have personally tried all the aging options in different scenarios and was lucky enough to say that all worked for me as the developers suggested. No glitch in that.

But what is different is that there is a kind of story progression where sims meet, make friends or romance eachother
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Agreed, it would be nice if they had explained it better! We are figuring it out by trial and error. I was thinking we had sims 2 back basically, but boy was I mistaken!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I gave up on one game save that I was doing in a rotational fashion. I have to admit that I managed to fill up every empty house in one neighborhood and built on all three of the unimproved lots. Then I tried to send three Sims to the museum, so that the mother who was in the painting career could fulfill her base level assigment. I sent two of her children with her, hoping this would allow them to meet others. She finished viewing paintings and took herself home. :open_mouth: Happily, her little daughter was with her teen brother at the time. But, when I sent the two of them home together, the load screen ended up stalling out. I had to collapse my game, and go into Task Manager to shut it down. I have not played that game save, since. I didn't know if the neighborhood itself was just too full, or if this was a glitch I encountered. I've since started up two separate game saves, each with only one household that I'm playing. I can get back and forth from venues in just seconds.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I figured that's how it worked. Time isn't frozen in this game. Time keeps going on regardless if you are playing that lot or not. In fact, if you are having issues with bills you can choose the richer families to take the hit lol by leaving the game on sunday when its the "poor" family's lot then playing a rich sim through monday. Then leaving the rich family and coming back to your poor family. Bam you skipped the bills. Aging itself is frozen unless as you said you hop over some line in which you might lose 1 day. That "line" doesn't feel consistent to me either. IDK. I always try to leave my lot/houses in the early morning like 5am or 6am now.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Now THAT'S an awesome concept. Just let the rich families pay the bills! LOL
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    bloomin eck I never saw the active household only!! Maybe it was added later, what a pain LOL, I will have to give that a try.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I found it on the first day. So that option has been there since day one. You might have just missed it.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

Sims won't age if aging is turned completely off. There are options in the game play settings that give us control over that aspect of the game. We can have it completely off, completely on, or on for ONLY our active family. But, aging on/off has no effect on pregnancy.

As far as other changes, no, I haven't seen skill changes...but, to be honest, I haven't really looked closely. I have seen some of my single sims start "lovebird" relationships with other sims. That's the only real change I've noticed though. I can live with that. I'd have a huge problem, though, if they got married, changed jobs, got pregnant, or moved away while I was playing other households.

This was why I couldn't play Sims 3. Even with "story progression off", it was a nightmare. I'd make a sim, put him in a Level 1 job with only a few simoleons, and after playing a few other households, I'd return to find him at the top of his career with hundreds of thousands of simoleons. It was an nightmare for me...enough to make me quit playing.

They could gain some skills along the way but this depends. Like sometimes, the non-active household comes to my active households and plays video games and I realized that they gain video gaming skills after that.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    Yeah I figured that's how it worked. Time isn't frozen in this game. Time keeps going on regardless if you are playing that lot or not. In fact, if you are having issues with bills you can choose the richer families to take the hit lol by leaving the game on sunday when its the "poor" family's lot then playing a rich sim through monday. Then leaving the rich family and coming back to your poor family. Bam you skipped the bills. Aging itself is frozen unless as you said you hop over some line in which you might lose 1 day. That "line" doesn't feel consistent to me either. IDK. I always try to leave my lot/houses in the early morning like 5am or 6am now.

I wondered why my rich family paid no bills and yet the poor assistant dishwasher I was trying to get to level 2 in her career had to pay a massive bill! LOL! Her rich friends will now purchase a virtual gaming rig for her...

OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top