Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    DOLLDRMS1 wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi , or whichever SG can best answer this. I have a question about exiting CAS focusing on the sim with the oldest ID in the household, rather than on the active sim.

There is a bug report on AHQ started several months ago about this issue. It originated with the report being of editing an NPC sim on a community lot causing a reset to a different lot. This also occurs when using CAS on a home lot. Rather than returning to the active sim, the sim with the oldest ID in the household is shown as selected after exiting CAS. @Forest_Ninja explained what was happening and that a fix would require an update.

Is there some reason this can't be changed to return to the active sim? It's jarring to encounter these resets and bothers me enough to ask the question.

It seems that many issues have been overlooked and I'm still waiting for correction of the vapor effect for the Apollo Rocket since there was no reason for it to have been overridden in the first place. I've easily solved all of the other problems with scripts and yet, despite the volume of complaints regarding simple issues, no one is interested in eliminating them or even fully understanding the causes. All of this should be alarming to anyone who is interested in the success of any product.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I was wondering, would it be possible to make a height slider in the game so that those who want shorter teens can have them?

I'm thinking if they ever allow different heights for one life stage, they will be set heights, such as "short", "average", or "tall". I don't think it will be a slider because the animations and interactions with other objects/Sims need to match up. It'd be nearly impossible to adjust animations for every increment on a height slider.
    I'll settle for that, since I have been wanting this in the game ever since I have brought it up years ago. I know that there's a height slider mod out now. I know this because I have seen screen shots where others have used this mod on their sims in the game.

I'd definitely be fine with that too, and really I think that would be the only option. Like @crinrict said, all of those height possibilities would be a nightmare for the animation designers. Imagine having a somewhat tall Sim kissing a somewhat short Sim. Instead of the lips touching each other, you have the mouth of the taller Sim connecting with the eyes of the shorter Sim. I can imagine that people wouldn't want to exchange poor animations for different heights.
    Well if they truly are having a heck of a time trying to get a height slide to work well in the game. Then I suggest they try this. Forego the height slider for now. And put in it's place this:
    Tall.
    Average: which would be medium height.
    Short.
    In CAS.
    The only limitation that The Sims as a whole has is one's imagination. So basically anything is possible in The Sims. This is what makes Sims so unique compare to all the other video games out there.

• Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    The gurus lost interest in this thread again?
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    How come we can put swimming pools into foundations but not the shallower fountain pools?
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Last I heard the modder that worked on the height slider gave up on the Sims 4. I don't expect a height slider especially since lack of a baby life stage, shorter teens, or even toddlers so far can't be done in this iteration. I just hope the next iteration has gradual aging.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »

again?
  • Options
    I do want to know what is going to be done to allow for game growth? Culling and relationship culling are proving to be more harmful than good. The packs are making Simmers run out of space on their lots. It feels like the Sims 4 was designed on a Sims 1 neighborhood structure. Is there anyway, to at least bring Sims 2 neighborhood design into the Sims 4 or will the Sims 4 remain with confined lots? I'm ok not having CAW, but no town editor like the Sims 2 is really killer especially as more and more packs are released.

It makes the Sims 4 feel like it is a fish stuck in a small bowl.
    fish2.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I *think* this question is apt for here...I wanna know why we hardly ever get any new traits or aspirations? Even the EPs barely added any, and the past two GPs have missed out on aspirations as well.

Also nothing getting added to the reward store...
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    One questions I've always wondered about the Sims in general is how many real life square feet make a Sims square foot?
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    One questions I've always wondered about the Sims in general is how many real life square feet make a Sims square foot?

About nine tenths of eleventy-eight?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited July 2016

Before Sims could phase through each other, since it requires one Sims square for passage of a Sim, a Sims square should be about the width of a Sim, or else the width of a Sim turned sideways. Real life complicates this, since there is a wide variation in the width of people, and unlike Sims, an adult person is wider than a child. I would still say it would be about the width of an average adult facing forwards.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    Doesn't look like I'm going to get my questions answered in the ask a guru thread so I might as well try asking here.
    Will we ever see customizable aging and pregnancy sliders? Options to turn certain features (like supernaturals) on/off per save?
    Will you consider tweaking the in-game clock so that time goes by slower while leaving the animations as they are, I'm talking something along the line of relativity mod by Twallan for ts3. Or at least tweaking the clock so that modders can actually do something about it? As of right now every attempt on their part has only either managed to slow down time and animations (no one wants that) or slowing down time and leaving the animation intact but then you end up with kids having to go to school at 3am because the clock is messed up.
    I remember reading that ts4 was supposed to be a time management game but at this point it's ridiculous, taking 8 hours to eat at a restaurant and various other actions that last wayyy too long.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Ninoochat wrote: »
    Doesn't look like I'm going to get my questions answered in the ask a guru thread so I might as well try asking here.
    Will we ever see customizable aging and pregnancy sliders? Options to turn certain features (like supernaturals) on/off per save?
    Will you consider tweaking the in-game clock so that time goes by slower while leaving the animations as they are, I'm talking something along the line of relativity mod by Twallan for ts3. Or at least tweaking the clock so that modders can actually do something about it? As of right now every attempt on their part has only either managed to slow down time and animations (no one wants that) or slowing down time and leaving the animation intact but then you end up with kids having to go to school at 3am because the clock is messed up.
    I remember reading that ts4 was supposed to be a time management game but at this point it's ridiculous, taking 8 hours to eat at a restaurant and various other actions that last wayyy too long.

I wouldn't write off the other thread yet. SimGuruDrake said she would reopen it when she gets back. I also think she directed some of the more technical questions to other gurus, so it might just be a case of waiting for them to get a chance to respond.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    The part of the game that players open when they go to have their sims change clothes. Does this clothing section have a name?
  • Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru

In general one tile is 1 square meter.
  • Options
    sunman502 wrote: »
    The part of the game that players open when they go to have their sims change clothes. Does this clothing section have a name?

In game? We call it an outfit picker.
  • Options
    Ninoochat wrote: »

Customization and balancing can actually be a pretty hot topic around here. One the one hand, you want to empower players to play in various different play styles. On the other hand, however, you want to be able to focus development and testing time to be able to deliver an experience that works really well for all.

I wouldn't rule out anything, but those are some of the things we have to consider when designing options.

As for time, I believe the designers iterated quite a bit on time. Time is actually slower than Sims 3, and you should be able to have your Sims do more things during the day. I'll let the design team know about your issue with restaurants, though.
  • Options
    I do want to know what is going to be done to allow for game growth? Culling and relationship culling are proving to be more harmful than good. The packs are making Simmers run out of space on their lots. It feels like the Sims 4 was designed on a Sims 1 neighborhood structure. Is there anyway, to at least bring Sims 2 neighborhood design into the Sims 4 or will the Sims 4 remain with confined lots? I'm ok not having CAW, but no town editor like the Sims 2 is really killer especially as more and more packs are released.

It makes the Sims 4 feel like it is a fish stuck in a small bowl.
    fish2.jpg

Performance is something the team is always looking at. That includes tweaking culling based on player feedback.
  • Options
    How come we can put swimming pools into foundations but not the shallower fountain pools?

I'm not sure. @SimGuruHouts might know :)
  • Options

No. Just very busy!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DOLLDRMS1 wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi , or whichever SG can best answer this. I have a question about exiting CAS focusing on the sim with the oldest ID in the household, rather than on the active sim.

There is a bug report on AHQ started several months ago about this issue. It originated with the report being of editing an NPC sim on a community lot causing a reset to a different lot. This also occurs when using CAS on a home lot. Rather than returning to the active sim, the sim with the oldest ID in the household is shown as selected after exiting CAS. @Forest_Ninja explained what was happening and that a fix would require an update.

Is there some reason this can't be changed to return to the active sim? It's jarring to encounter these resets and bothers me enough to ask the question.

Are you still running into this? Paging @SimGuruNick .
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Thank you for coming back to this thread to answer our questions @SimGuruEugi I love reading through your answers.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Zafireria wrote: »
    Got a question @SimGuruEugi or to any guru really :)

I was wondering if it was possible for you guys to make it possible for modders to make something genetic? I mean I have seen people add cat ears, tails, different hair colors etc, would it be possible to make it possible for them to add such things as part of the genetics? So if the parents have cats ears and purple hair, then the kid might get as well? (I am aware you probably won't touch te babies, I am talking about kids and up, tho I wouldn't mind cute cat ears on babies XD)
    But yeah, is that even possible?

I believe it would be possible for a modder to do that, yes.
  • Options
    There was a tweet from a guru mentioning some "improvements to retail" that come with Dine Out. Please could a guru give more details on this?

Tweaks and improvements to retail were included in the Dine Out patch.
  • Options
    I was wondering, would it be possible to make a height slider in the game so that those who want shorter teens can have them?

This has been discussed in depth already, but to reiterate: height sliders would mean adding a lot of animation content to account for paired animations for all combinations. While nothing can ever be completely ruled out, there are some calls we need to make. Having teens be able to play adult animations allowed us to go deep and go broad in other areas. I think that was a good decision.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top