Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error weirdness (s4pe is for sure not open)

I just went through and did some tests with a bunch of files that error me out of the game and I took a screenshot for each group/item.
Various people have said it's a result of having s4pe running and it for sure isn't. I'm hoping someone ( @simgurumodsquad ?) can figure this out.

The creators haven't heard of this happening from anyone aside myself. I'm befuddled.

WskgyXa.png
5ZN4ZbC.png
f8JqIT6.png
QDlL0tW.png
Ij24s8f.png
WskgyXa.png

It only errors with any of those files in my mods folder. I have other people's cc (including my own) and it works, if I add any of the above I get the error, I removed all the functioning ones and tested just these again and get an error every time.

I did recently have the same error with a ruched dress recolor, also by simsperience but after a few times or testing (and a couple days of giving up) it now works in the game. I never had issues with the geometric design pleated skirt from that creator though.

(Since this is mods related I'm posting it in here, a mod can move it elsewhere if necessary but this makes sense to me currently)
HSon1Mq.png

Comments

• Options
    granthesgranthes Posts: 93 Member
    @simfeetunder,

I wonder if you can zip up 3 or 4 of those items that are causing problems and provide a link. I'd like to see if we can duplicate the error on another person's computer.

--Grant
    Grant (granthes)
    Developer of Sims 4 Modding Tools -- Sims 4 Stuff n Things
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited August 2014
    Yes sir, I'll do that right now. Thanks for offering.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v06sc28wm64yvxg/TroubledDownloads.rar?dl=0
    (I grabbed 6 of them, one of each of the three creators but four of them are from one person, just different types of clothing)
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Are these recolors or are they non-default items?
  • Options
    I'm not downloading any default replacement items so they should all be their own recolor option.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    Yes sir, I'll do that right now. Thanks for offering.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v06sc28wm64yvxg/TroubledDownloads.rar?dl=0
    (I grabbed 6 of them, one of each of the three creators but four of them are from one person, just different types of clothing)

Aha! It looks like you ran into that mediafire bug/feature/annoyance where it won't let you download all that much in one session.

If you rename those 6 packages to html, you'll see that they are web pages, not real .package files.

Too bad the demo isn't smart enough to TEST for that issue before crashing though.
    Grant (granthes)
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Gotcha. I was just trying to figure out what tool they were made with.
  • Options
    My very first test is to load up the file in s4pe. When it came back and said
    Error message:
    Expected magic tag 'DBPF'.  Found ' <!D'.

I had my first hint.

So, I'm going to recommend that when people have the demo crashing on startup that they try to load the package files in S4PE and make sure they are a REAL package. :smile:
    Grant (granthes)
  • Options
    Gotcha. I was just trying to figure out what tool they were made with.

Oh, I'd suppose they were made with CM and s4pe, not 100% on that.
    granthes wrote: »
    My very first test is to load up the file in s4pe. When it came back and said
    Error message:
    Expected magic tag 'DBPF'.  Found ' <!D'.

I had my first hint.

So, I'm going to recommend that when people have the demo crashing on startup that they try to load the package files in S4PE and make sure they are a REAL package. :smile:

*rolls eyes* Thank you Grant! I didn't even know that was a thing... I try to stay away from mediafire usually but really liked these items so I went for it. I'll go poke at that :)
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    @Simsperience look, it got figured out. :) I just re-grabbed the sundresses I wanted (and another one that grew on me) and tested 'em out.
    qakMIkU.png
    Looks great!

Also, @granthess, I think I might have actually figured out what happened. When you mentioned they were actually web pages (despite the package extension) I thought of something... when I moused over the download link it reads as "http://www. mediafire.com/download/slkds532zcfx76v/Simsperience_yfBottom_SkirtPleated__Purple_Circle_Lineart.package" so my brain said "sweet, you don't actually have to click-through, you can just right click and "save as"... so I wasn't saving the actual package files but the mediafire "wrapper" of the package files. I think.
    Ooops.
    But now you got me on the right track, yay.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    edited September 2014
    ((responded int he wrong place))
    My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny