May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, what was the point of emotions again? Pics included!

Comments

• Options
    xHareHarexxHareHarex Posts: 536 Member
    tumblr_n3bnbgAMCb1qlvwnco1_500.gif

They were too busy to notice it...HAVING FUN.
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    I'm just curious who here has actually seen fights in real life and who is just going by what they see on TV?

Unless you're in grade school, people don't usually form a circle around the people who are fighting and start cheering them on and choosing sides.

Sure I guess they could have looked shocked or whatever but I think you all are expecting a bit too much.

It was basically just two Sims interacting with one another. Granted it's a fight, but it's just an interaction. I wouldn't expect everyone around them to have a reaction to this anymore than I would expect everyone to have a reaction when one Sim asks another Sim if they are single.

Actually, I have and they do.

I've bartended in enough places to know that some people will leave, some will record, some will join in, and most will form a ring and get in the way of the bouncers. :lol:

Joe needs to get out more, a fight always breaks out in a bar, somewhere, some how.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    ITT: @Asuka7794
    nRAcWE8.gif
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    Broader point is that TS4 sims seem as inert as TS3 ones, for all the hype about emotions. They seem to be adding up to little more than extra busywork + a lot more 'emotional objects' (LOL) clutter to pad an otherwise paper-thin game out.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    They may not all jump up and gather in a circle around the fight (though we all did that as teenagers) but there is always one idiot who will, always one who shouts "fiiiiigggggght"

Just curious but where do you live? Never in my adult life have I heard someone shout "fiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttt" when people are fighting. As you said yes, that type of stuff happened all the time in school, but that's because kids are immature and thinking fights are "cool."
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    If the bars you go to never have a fight break out, you need to find more exciting bars. >:)
  • Options
    ClothoClotho Posts: 170 Member
    It looks like there are a few different reactions to the fight going on in the video. If you keep watching after the fight scene, there are two sims off to the side that appear to be have been standing and watching the fight at 22:52 in the LB.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Asuka7794 wrote: »
    Yeah... the people were just sitting there as if the two people in a fight were ghosts... So much for smart intuitive, emotional sims. Since that is basically their only selling point I don't know how this game is going to succeed. I thought the whole point of scaling back the graphics and eliminating open world was to allow for smart, spontaneous sims each with their own mind. They regressed all aspects of the sims only to deliver the same dumb sims that sit there unaware of their surroundings.

Well said.

• Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I agree with Joe. Bar fights are blah. My reaction would be....Idiots...pphhhtt. And go on with my night.

Wouldn't you fear getting hit when people are fighting literally a foot away from you?

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    They may not all jump up and gather in a circle around the fight (though we all did that as teenagers) but there is always one idiot who will, always one who shouts "fiiiiigggggght"

Just curious but where do you live? Never in my adult life have I heard someone shout "fiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttt" when people are fighting. As you said yes, that type of stuff happened all the time in school, but that's because kids are immature and thinking fights are "cool."

LOL, really Joe you are so insulated from the real world it seems. People do scream fight, or at least the buz goes around the bar, many people stop what they are doing, run over and watch, or get up in their seat to see above the commotion to see what is happening. The Sims not responding to this fight in the game shows they don't give a hoot just like the unresponsive TS3 Sim. So, sorry saying these Sims are smarter is just a farce.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ClothoClotho Posts: 170 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    Yeah... the people were just sitting there as if the two people in a fight were ghosts... So much for smart intuitive, emotional sims. Since that is basically their only selling point I don't know how this game is going to succeed. I thought the whole point of scaling back the graphics and eliminating open world was to allow for smart, spontaneous sims each with their own mind. They regressed all aspects of the sims only to deliver the same dumb sims that sit there unaware of their surroundings.

Well said.

There are some sims just sitting there but at 22.22 you see a sim in a blue sweater get off the couch. She's out of view of the camera but at 22.52 she appears on camera again with another sim and they look like they had been watching the fight the whole time.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I've bartended in enough places to know that some people will leave, some will record, some will join in, and most will form a ring and get in the way of the bouncers. :lol:

I'm going to guess the "most" that form a ring are the ones that are drunk? :p

Or the ones just barely old enough to drink?
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

LOL, really Joe you are so insulated from the real world it seems. People do scream fight, or at least the buz goes around the bar, many people stop what they are doing, run over and watch, or get up in their seat to see above the commotion to see what is happening. The Sims not responding to this fight in the game shows they don't give a hoot just like the unresponsive TS3 Sim. So, sorry saying these Sims are smarter is just a farce.

You're right, maybe I just don't hang around enough bars filled with immature people I guess. I'm so sheltered :/

"Hey cool! Some guy is getting his face punched in! Let's watch and cheer the other guy on!"
  • Options
    Ragdoll-RuneRagdoll-Rune Posts: 27 New Member

-squint- Where do you live? I want to move there because I'm surrounded by adults like that xD
    Seriously though do you go out much? I don't and I've still seen it. Adults are immature too, especially when they go out to drink. Let's be real here.
  • Options
    You can really tell the people in here who are stretching their real life exposures to fights to justify their dislike of this game ;)
  • Options
    You can really tell the people in here who are stretching their real life exposures to fights to justify their dislike of this game ;)

And we can tell you just try to spin anything into positivity as if you were paid to do so.

The new emotions and smartness aren't all they are cracked up to be.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    @ the op. I said this before the emotion system would be nothing if they don't program the animations and interactions needed to make it look like an upgrade. Given they had not time to do toddlers, or even teens in different heights, i equally suspected there wouldn't have been enough time to flesh out or add depth to the game for the emotion. So what emotions have become are glorified moodlets that actually don't do anything new, tactile, or intuitive.

So this emotion system was doomed from the beginning. 1 1/2 years was never enough time to get the game out. This isn't a solid foundation, for the emotion system or the game. The game doesn't seem to be able to build the connects needed through the traits, and emotions to the environment because of the lack of other content.
  • Options
    katwastakenkatwastaken Posts: 410 Member
    Maybe I misinterpreted what I saw but I watched that video a couple times and payed attention to the background to see if I would notice the clipping and stuff people are talking about.. it looked to me like there were sims standing there observing the fight but not cheering or anything. IF that is what happened, I personally find that to be more realistic anyway. If not then oh well it doesn't really bother me really as I don't tend to use the fight interaction anyway and I don't think I will notice one way or another. The clipping though! That I did see! Didn't bother me but I definitely saw it.
    Origin ID: katwastaken

tumblr_msxcldE8D71s596ako1_250.gif
  • Options
    Ragdoll-RuneRagdoll-Rune Posts: 27 New Member

And we can tell you just try to spin anything into positivity as if you were paid to do so.

The new emotions and smartness aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I actually have it pre-ordered, you just aren't making any sense. Seriously if you're living in an area with that much maturity I want to move there, I hate that stuff xD
  • Options
    ATMNSMRATMNSMR Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Asuka7794 said:
    > Darchitect wrote: »
    >
    > Asuka7794 wrote: »
    >
    > mulboro wrote: »
    >
    > Asuka7794 wrote: »
    >
    > mulboro wrote: »
    >
    > They were so in tune with their emotions that they weren't mindful of two fighting jerks. They have evolved higher than humans!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Technically all species living to date are equally evolved. They are evolved to their specific environment. We tend to think of highly evolved in terms of only mental strength. Evolving and adapting to an environment can also be of increased physical attributes. Besides the inability to react to environmental stimuli is a major disadvantage.
    >
    >
    >
    > Asuka7794
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Me schooling you on evolution makes me a joke?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, honey, the gif is supposed to represent you missing the joke. I think he was being playful.
    > At least I hope.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah I don't get the joke at all.
    & the gif is telling you that. the dog doesn't get the frisbee like you don't get the joke..ha..ha...?
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member

I'm from Ireland, however I don't care where you are from, every country has douchebags, of all ages. I'd question what fantasy utopia you are living in if you say this never happens...

And certainly no-one sits there not reacting what so ever like they are a bunch of robots...or perhaps you live in Stepford ?

• Options
    Anavastia wrote: »
    @ the op. I said this before the emotion system would be nothing if they don't program the animations and interactions needed to make it look like an upgrade. Given they had not time to do toddlers, or even teens in different heights, i equally suspected there wouldn't have been enough time to flesh out or add depth to the game for the emotion. So what emotions have become are glorified moodlets that actually don't do anything new, tactile, or intuitive.

So this emotion system was doomed from the beginning. 1 1/2 years was never enough time to get the game out. This isn't a solid foundation, for the emotion system or the game. The game doesn't seem to be able to build the connects needed through the traits, and emotions to the environment because of the lack of other content.

Voice of reason.

• Options

I'm from Ireland, however I don't care where you are from, every country has douchebags, of all ages. I'd question what fantasy utopia you are living in if you say this never happens...

And certainly no-one sits there not reacting what so ever like they are a bunch of robots...or perhaps you live in Stepford ?

Certainly a sim with a bro or evil trait would at least glance at it.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Funny cause earlier 2 other people said they were from Ireland and they both said people just walk right on by fights in Ireland.

So I guess everyone notices fights differently then huh :p
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,212 Member
    Clotho wrote: »

Well said.

There are some sims just sitting there but at 22.22 you see a sim in a blue sweater get off the couch. She's out of view of the camera but at 22.52 she appears on camera again with another sim and they look like they had been watching the fight the whole time.

Thank you I was beginning to wonder if some others actually watched the video or just taking picture at face value. I would have
    liked more "action" myself but saying there was no reaction was incorrect. What I saw on that video is different than what is being portrayed here by that screenshot.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg