Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Soooo Pools - How much time do your sims actually spend in them?

123457...Next

Comments

• Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I felt pools were good because it actually got Sims out the house for a change. I'd love more interactions for pools, i,e Swimming lanes etc
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    I didn't really use pools much till Island Paradise and that was for my resort,but I do agree if they had more interactions for pools inthe game I think those that might not miss them so much would use them more.Toddlers though I'll miss them because they've been inthe game awhile well since Sims 2 I wasn't a Sims 1 players so I don't know if they were in there or not. Not having Toddlers and Pools aren't a dealbreaker for me but I have this feeling we'll get them back eventually hopefully both with more interactions that will make the game more interesting.
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Caszidy215 wrote: »
    I was just talking to my sister and an interesting thought came to me.

People are like "oh my god there are no pools I hate EA" or whatever and like honestly sims never really did much in pools. In fact, most pool related features didn't come out until Island Paradise.

In all sim reality pools actually SUCK!!

Oh and toddlers.. I like toddlers but - they suck too. They don't do anything. Well they do now since Generations but before that - Who actually said "Oh my God I can't wait until my baby becomes a toddler.." If you did you're boring and obviously your sims are lame :# . Just joking but no really...
    Well, there is no one “right” way to for everyone to play Sims, correct? Given that, is it so difficult to believe some people do enjoy features from previous TS games that aren’t in TS4? The game is a way for us to simulate life, be it replaying our own personal variations and experiences or inventing whatever stories we choose to tell.

For example, as a kid I always swam a lot, went waterskiing, etc.; it was a huge part of my life growing up, so it’s not a surprise that I enjoy having my Sims do those same activities in my games. While not having pools in TS4 is not the main reason I find it less appealing than its predecessors, it’s still something I find disappointing.

My Sims have always used pools frequently, and I’ve also enjoyed the aesthetics of having them as part of my builds as well, whether as a regular pool, a swimmable pond, or a custom aquarium.

I may not have utilized certain features of the game (celebrities, memories, SP), but that was my choice, and I wouldn’t expect EA to cater to my personal preferences in regard to them. Nevertheless, while not having pools is fine for players who never used or liked them, I find the lack of that option objectionable for those of us who do—even more so in light of other particular features I personally enjoyed that didn't make the cut.

Additionally, since you brought up the topic of toddlers, I will say that their exclusion is one of my greater disappointments in TS4. Toddlers are my favorite life stage, both in the Sims games and irl, and I have always lengthened that stage of a Sims life. Not only could I have them get a jump on skills at that age as others have already mentioned, but that is when I had them do most of their bonding with family members. And I just plain adore the hell out of those cute little goobers! Children and teens, although they could do more activities, spent most of their waking hours in school except for weekends, so those were the stages that I personally had less interest in. But I would never state that I’d be happy with their removal because I feel each life stage is important in its own way, and I know other people do like playing them.

In my opinion, limiting options is not a good thing.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited August 2014
    screenshot-303-2.jpg
  • Options
    LightestsLightests Posts: 853 Member
    pools were decorations barely used ...
    tumblr_n4lzmoWGk41s7cn3go1_400.gif
  • Options
    hereforthesimshereforthesims Posts: 106 Member
    I did like to send my sims swimming every now and again, but it's definitely not a game changer for me.
    thorne_zps21f5e8b2.jpg
    ll The Thorne Legacy ll Violet Thorne ll Founder ll
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    knazzer wrote: »
    screenshot-303-2.jpg

Too funny

• Options
    DiedrupoDiedrupo Posts: 206 Member
    Pools are a nice-to-have but as nice as it was to watch my sims take a dip, it was never something that I truly cared about.
    And I've never had toddlers in any of my games (I always start with a full family) so I don't miss them at all.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Caszidy215 wrote: »
    Did you play toddlers in The Sims 2? Many people who don't care if they are gone are used to the ones in The Sims 3, which did suck.

I can agree with that.

I do miss that kind of interaction.

However, pools sucked on TS2 too..

There's a fountain tool in TS4 but no pool tool man...

Pools became obsolete in TS3 when they made it so that you could swim in lakes, rivers, and oceans.

Even then it was still nice to have one at the house even if it was mostly for looks.

Who's dream house doesn't include a pool?
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I liked pools for decoration. In sims 2 they were more than sims 3 because you could play marco polo. I always got a good laugh outta that.
  • Options
    sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    I barely use them. My sims looks so weird when they were swimming.
    beXSQcW.jpg
  • Options
    MissLaraeMissLarae Posts: 215 Member
    I just used pools for decoration really. When I say decoration I mean just a rectangle pool lol. I suck at building. I do like having my Sims sunbathe or lounge around in their swimwear. I'm gonna miss that :(. They hardly ever swam at all though. I will miss swimming in the ocean but that came much later in the game anyway.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    If I did not control them to the max, I would find mine out in the pool swimming, of their own free will. Many a time I hated that, cause I wanted them doing something besides, just swimming, playing games, or watching tv. But my sims had their own ideas. From what I hear in sims 4 they will really have their own ideas. LOL, can't wait.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I've made pools, but my sims barely use them unless I have a Child sim and I want to work on his Body skill. In the TS2 base game, swimming was pretty much the only thing Children could do to build that skill. I'm so glad that they added the basketball hoop and skipping rope in later expansions... I might miss pools a little (I mean, I won't be able to build a public pool like I can in TS2), but not that much.
    Did you play toddlers in The Sims 2? Many people who don't care if they are gone are used to the ones in The Sims 3, which did suck.

Actually, I have played Toddlers in TS2, but I still won't miss them in TS4. It's crazy raising them in TS2. You absolutely need two stay-at-home Adult sims to keep their needs met and teach them all of the special Toddler skills in that tiny four day window. Then, by the time that you've got the kid properly educated, there's only a day left in that stage before they age up, so there's no time to have any real fun with them. Well, unless you use the "aging off" cheat and, even then, by the time that I'm done educating my Toddlers so that they can grow up well, all I can think is, "I can't wait for this kid to age on up already."

I'm not doing a happy dance because they're gone or anything...but I won't miss 'em all that much either.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

Actually, I have played Toddlers in TS2, but I still won't miss them in TS4. It's crazy raising them in TS2. You absolutely need two stay-at-home Adult sims to keep their needs met and teach them all of the special Toddler skills in that tiny four day window. Then, by the time that you've got the kid properly educated, there's only a day left in that stage before they age up, so there's no time to have any real fun with them. Well, unless you use the "aging off" cheat and, even then, by the time that I'm done educating my Toddlers so that they can grow up well, all I can think is, "I can't wait for this kid to age on up already."

I use the Simsky smart toddler pic to teach them to walk/talk/potty. Saves a TON of time to watch & play toddlers in a fun way

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    I've never really used pools, and found them boring. I'm personally glad they used the time on other features in the game. However, I do think that because of this pools should be patched in alongside an expansion, or maybe just as an update. I think it's fine to ask people to pay for extra pool stuff and features that are new and tied in to an EP, but basic pools should not have to be paid for.

I'm one of the pro-toddler people who isn't in the "they should have improved toddlers instead of removing them" camp. I really believe they removed toddlers from the base game to improve them. I've always liked the idea of toddlers, but hated to actually play them most of the time. I'd be happy if they added toddlers later and made them fully fleshed-out Sims that I wanted to play. I just think there is so much you could do with toddlers using the emotions system and improved AI, and I'm really hoping they give a lot of time, thought and resources to making them the best yet.
  • Options
    Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    OMGOSH my thread became so popular like that is soooo cool - that is all sarcasm btw
  • Options
    Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    Any sims miss going swimming yet?
  • Options
    SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    I used pools for pool parties, exercising...and the floor of my "Bad Sim Box" for Sims who particularly ticked me off. So...fairly frequently. It was a nice feature to have.