Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hair colour - thought of the day

In Sims 3, children randomly got hair colour from a parent - or sometimes grandparent.

Be warned - genetics drivel below.

Back in Sims 2, they actually used the genetics. Black and brown hair colours were dominant. Blond and red were recessive. So if a black haired Sim with black/black genetics married someone with blond/blond genetics, all the children had black hair. Those children had were black/blond genes for hair colour so if they married a blond - their offspring had a 50/50 chance of being black or being blond.

Since in Sims 4, we are back to a relatively limited palette (not as much so as Sims 2 but way more than Sims 3), maybe true genetics can make a comeback.
My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)

Comments

• Options
    NobleenoughNobleenough Posts: 71 Member
    I'm really, really hoping this is the case. It would at least bring back an aspect of family play. I was/still am really disappointed with the awkward genetics in Sims 3. Pretty sure that the color wheel for hair made it hard to do genetics properly.

I hope it keeps track of genetics through several generations, too. In Sims 2 sometimes I would get a sim kid with blonde hair who had black haired parents who just happened to have recessive blonde traits in both their family lines. The facial feature genetics seem to be really good, so hopefully hair and eye genetics are improved as well!
  • Options
    Nicarra60Nicarra60 Posts: 2,916 Member
    That was part of the cool thing in Sims 2. Each Sim actually had genetic code for hair colour - you could check it in SimPE

Once I married a blond male to what I thought was a black haired female. When their first two babies were both blond - I knew her genetics weren't black hair at all. So I checked with SimPE and sure enough, her genetics were blonde/blonde and not black.

Oh yeah, that's right. You could change their hair colour but that didn't change the underlying genetics. The genetics determined their colours, not the current 'dyed' colour. That was cool too.
    My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I really doubt they thought this out and Sims kids will probably get the current hair color of the parent just like in TS3. I think they spent more time on the CAS tweaking the pulling and tugging than the genetics. I hope you surprise me EA. But I doubt they had time to think about this stuff like we do. TS2 was the Generation Game, so yeah, I doubt they thought about that being in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    I would love it if true genetics came back. They made my sims feel a little like a science experiment and it was fun to see genetics in action.
  • Options
    Oh man, I think there's a good chance we have true genetics now, guys! I was messing around in CAS, and while we can't make kids in it, I tried some things out with the genetics tool to make siblings. I have my black haired, blue eyed sim and all her generated siblings (I clicked it A LOT) were black haired, with one random dark red haired one, and they had a wide variety of eye colors. I tried a blonde sim, and her siblings had mostly blonde hair, but all the other colors were present as well. A brown-haired sim generated one red and one blonde out of 100 variations, the rest being brown or black haired.

Not sure how the bright colors work... a teal haired sim generated mostly teal-haired siblings with a good number of brown or black hair. The light purple generated reds, browns, blacks, and blondes in addition to the same purple.

Eyes were the same- dark eyes generated almost all dark-eyed siblings, light eyes generated a range from light to dark.
  • Options
    SquiggleDustSquiggleDust Posts: 70 Member
    I really hope they do!!

-I can't wait to see how the genetics in the game will work for the kids, the sibling generator is so much fun already ^_^
  • Options
    Oh man, I think there's a good chance we have true genetics now, guys! I was messing around in CAS, and while we can't make kids in it, I tried some things out with the genetics tool to make siblings. I have my black haired, blue eyed sim and all her generated siblings (I clicked it A LOT) were black haired, with one random dark red haired one, and they had a wide variety of eye colors. I tried a blonde sim, and her siblings had mostly blonde hair, but all the other colors were present as well. A brown-haired sim generated one red and one blonde out of 100 variations, the rest being brown or black haired.

Not sure how the bright colors work... a teal haired sim generated mostly teal-haired siblings with a good number of brown or black hair. The light purple generated reds, browns, blacks, and blondes in addition to the same purple.

Eyes were the same- dark eyes generated almost all dark-eyed siblings, light eyes generated a range from light to dark.
    Thanks for doing the bit of research. I guess we have to wait until we have a game before we can know if it really works.

But I do like the idea that maybe the genetics are back. It would be nice to see again.

• Options
    I'm gonna keep messing around with things. It at least doesn't seem to be random, and at least follows basic recessive/dominant rules, so that's something :D I just wish we could try mixing the genetics of two sims... oh well, release date is close so we'll know soon enough!
  • Options
    NicoleMNicoleM Posts: 6 New Member
    Genetics is my favorite part of the game, which is why I couldn't get into Sims 3 that much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    It would be nice if it was like in the sims 2 with genetics as well.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    fozzybear98fozzybear98 Posts: 110 Member
    I miss the genetics of Sims 2. I was so excited about it before it came out. I loved how the children would inherit looks and traits from the parents. I really hope Sims 4 brings genetics back.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Seems that will be the case as Sims 4 is leaning closer to Sims 2. The children apparently will have blended skin tone, so I think genetics will make more sense in Sims 4 now, instead of random like Sims 3.

We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Seems that will be the case as Sims 4 is leaning closer to Sims 2. The children apparently will have blended skin tone, so I think genetics will make more sense in Sims 4 now, instead of random like Sims 3.

We'll just have to wait and see.
    At least we haven't long to wait now.

• Options
    sddormesddorme Posts: 269 Member
    I don't see why the random hair generics for TS3 was a bad thing tbh. Sure, it was cool that TS2 had such a complex genetics system, but it lead to families with all of the same hair color. Same goes for eyes.
    _sidebar7.gif
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    We know they put a little more effort into genetics for TS4 than they did TS3. They added the reverse-genetic thing, for example (you can make a child Sim and have the game automatically do the parents based on that child).

Hopefully they did something a little more complex for the whole system. I guess we'll find out in a week+1 day!
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited August 2014
    sddorme wrote: »
    I don't see why the random hair generics for TS3 was a bad thing tbh. Sure, it was cool that TS2 had such a complex genetics system, but it lead to families with all of the same hair color. Same goes for eyes.

Yeah that was one of the drawbacks for me too. Plus in real life hair color is MUCH more complex than that. There are a lot of genes that interact with hair color and to some extent eye color as well. So it isn't all about dom/recessive genes. For example: Incomplete and partial-dominance isn't actually that uncommon. Calico cats are an example of incomplete dominance. Also environment plays a role too (many babies are born with blue eyes only to change after 1-2 years to their actual eye color). So even TS2 isn't all that complicated as real life.

I'm pretty sure they said it was going to be 50/50 that every "trait" had a 50/50 chance to come from the mother or father.
  • Options
    carrielouloucarrieloulou Posts: 145 Member
    That'd be awesome, I'd love to play with that a bit, I'm a real 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for a monohybrid cross