Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anime and manga in sims? Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited October 2014
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    @JoxerTM22 I freaking LOVE Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop. Couldn't really get into Death Note though (I was enjoying it up until about the halfway point and after that it just seemed to get pretty boring). My avatar ATM is a very loose adaptation of Lust. I really need to make a better one though :)
    When I see someone says "hate anime" I'm pretty sure all they ever saw was pokemon&clones and yugioh&clones. Or they saw nothing at all but are driven by prejudice.

Their loss.

And your Lust avatar *does* look like the manga/anime character! I love it!

Funnily enough I got into anime through Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh but then I was exactly the target age when Pokemon first came to the UK so it just spawned from there really :) haven't watched any in a while though, must get back into that.

I love Ghost in the Shell: SAC too.

Aww thank you, I made her from memory rather than consulting pictures or anything so I'm glad she looks OK. I do want to re-do her now though since we've got purple eyes now :D
  • Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    Paranoia Agent stuff would also be fun. Get me some golden skates up in har. And a Maromi tee.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    The amount of anime skins I've found for S1 is astonishing, and lets just say I've populated the whole neighborhood with it.

So many clashing styles but the characters are just too endearing its hard for me to let go of them.

Now I won't put my hopes up for an Anime EP, but I will for modders and CC makers. And I will download each and everyone of them for S4.
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    nateslice wrote: »
    I think those of you who hate anime and manga are really missing out. You can find pretty much any sort of story there; to say you hate them is like saying you hate TV or movies or music.
    I think those of you who hate anime and manga are really missing out. You can find pretty much any sort of story there; to say you hate them is like saying you hate TV or movies or music.

Agreed . Anime covers a wide range of genres so you never know what might be out there that you'll like .

If I want to take a scissor to my eyes when I look at the art style, I wont enjoy the storyline.

Your loss! There's so many amazing stories, definitely beats the crap they release today in series.

There's amazing stories everywhere. In all genres. Basically everything takes inspiration from a story told centuries before though, nothing is truly unique. So, I don't feel I'm missing anything at all because it's all been told before.

If anything I'm sparing myself from unnecessary vulgarities, weird moaning noises they always throw in randomly and sexualized child-looking abominations, lol.

Lol not all anime has that xD Death Note for example, Guilty Crown, Code Geass.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2014

To a point you are right, but it is not as simple as that.
    I am one of those what get rashes and headaches from Anime and Manga, and to me it doesn't matter that "there are different stories". What bugs me are mostly the art styles, the art shifts (that is part of the culture), the voices (I am sorry if it sounds racist, but Japanese voice acting is beyond annoying in a "I get a migraine if I have to listen to that" way) and of course the fan culture.

Add to this the fact that most stories I have tried to pay attention to really aren't my thing. I am sure there are some (well I KNOW there are some, I DID really love Lone Wolf And Cub back in the day) but most of them are just not my thing. At all.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    I don't like much of the anime that the common folk usually like. );

My favorites are:

Paranoia Agent <3<3<3
    Gantz
    Houshin Engi (Though that one's not very good)
    King of Bandit Jing
    Madoka Magica (That one's pretty widely popular though.)

I don't really like Attack on Titan, FullMetal Alchemist, or One Piece. Soul eater was 'ok'.

And I despise Naruto. I despise Naruto with such a passion. Sorry, guys. :( I know it's one of the most popular shows ever, but I did not enoy it.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited October 2014
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I love Ghost in the Shell: SAC too.
    Sadly I didn't watch the TV series (not yet, but am planning to). No network aired it here so I'll have to import it from Japan probably (yes I complicate it, but that's because I love to watch anime with japanese audio and subtitles, don't like dubs).
    Will check later if it's available on Crunchyroll.

However, both Ghost in the Shell movies are masterpieces. Of course as such both are a part of my home DVD collection.

• Options
    MLJ28aMLJ28a Posts: 320 Member
    edited October 2014
    Anime in The Sims? Yes please!
    zD4X8.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I draw anime artwork as my hobby. <3 They should include all of my terrible designs. XD

http://www.demon-heart.com/sk/ryoutarider.png
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Pixar Cartoon i would say, but well looks almost the same sometimes ^^
    Big Eyes and such.

6d7454cea6644379adc7e529c5790a28078a2823.jpg

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I feel like I'm losing my mind when I try watching most of it, on the level as though I were watching teletubbies or something.

Most of it is really lazy animation where you're expected to stare at a still shot for long periods while only the mouths of the characters move.

The better quality the animation gets the more likely its going to be some kind of disgusting unspeakable triple x movie.

• Options
    CrunchyDreamerCrunchyDreamer Posts: 128 Member
    edited October 2014
    There's amazing stories everywhere. In all genres. Basically everything takes inspiration from a story told centuries before though, nothing is truly unique. So, I don't feel I'm missing anything at all because it's all been told before.

That's what I thought, until I discovered anime and manga. (In my 30s. And now I'm in my 50s.) Go beyond the usual popular series that are made to appeal to kids and you will discover that the Japanese storytellers have not only boundless imagination but also the crazy courage to do things that have never been done before. You are missing a lot. A whole universe of amazing stories you will never find or enjoy if all you read or watch is from the American or English (British) entertainment industry. Your choice, of course.
    If anything I'm sparing myself from unnecessary vulgarities, weird moaning noises they always throw in randomly and sexualized child-looking abominations, lol.

"... always..."? No. Not always. You watched the "wrong" things. I'm sorry you did.
  • Options
    CrunchyDreamerCrunchyDreamer Posts: 128 Member
    If I want to take a scissor to my eyes when I look at the art style, I wont enjoy the storyline.

Totally understandable.

Anyone who makes the effort will find anime that doesn't make her feel like she needs to wash her eyes and brain out with bleach.

It's just that these series are a little harder to find, since the majority of anime series are targeted at kids, teens or young men who are anime fanatics. Say, if you want anime that does not feature gratuitously large-eyed, bouncy girls who sound like they've just inhaled helium, or if you want anime where the artwork for backgrounds look like beautiful watercolor paintings, or if you want realistically drawn human characters, or if you want a good soundtrack to go with a great story, I will mention Monster and Mushishi.

Monster does not have supernatural monsters in it, in spite of the title. It's a great series which is a dark, gritty and gripping whodunnit story with fantastic characterization. The action takes place in Germany. An all-time favorite of mine. Both the manga and the anime series are critically acclaimed.

Mushishi does have supernatural elements. But nothing about it is over-the-top or scary. The artwork is gorgeous, the soundtrack is atmospheric, the stories are so bittersweet. Watching it makes you think about the human condition, about the things we value and what we are willing to sacrifice to hold those things close and dear. The story setting is Japan. Both the manga and anime series have won awards.

I wish people who say they hate anime would stop saying they hate it. If you hate the anime you've watched, then I'm sorry you've watched those series that did nothing to entertain you. If you gave anime a fair chance, search out those series that will appeal to your sensibilities, realize that there's more to anime than the current over-hyped, over-marketed, super popular ones you seem to see all over the TV and internet, you will discover a whole new world of amazing stories you will otherwise never experience the pleasure of knowing.
  • Options
    I HATE anime from start to finish. I wish it didn't exist.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Consider Anime as part of a childhood. If you just recently tried anime when you're older or an adult, then it might not work for you.
  • Options

Totally understandable.

Anyone who makes the effort will find anime that doesn't make her feel like she needs to wash her eyes and brain out with bleach.

It's just that these series are a little harder to find, since the majority of anime series are targeted at kids, teens or young men who are anime fanatics. Say, if you want anime that does not feature gratuitously large-eyed, bouncy girls who sound like they've just inhaled helium, or if you want anime where the artwork for backgrounds look like beautiful watercolor paintings, or if you want realistically drawn human characters, or if you want a good soundtrack to go with a great story, I will mention Monster and Mushishi.

Monster does not have supernatural monsters in it, in spite of the title. It's a great series which is a dark, gritty and gripping whodunnit story with fantastic characterization. The action takes place in Germany. An all-time favorite of mine. Both the manga and the anime series are critically acclaimed.

Mushishi does have supernatural elements. But nothing about it is over-the-top or scary. The artwork is gorgeous, the soundtrack is atmospheric, the stories are so bittersweet. Watching it makes you think about the human condition, about the things we value and what we are willing to sacrifice to hold those things close and dear. The story setting is Japan. Both the manga and anime series have won awards.

I wish people who say they hate anime would stop saying they hate it. If you hate the anime you've watched, then I'm sorry you've watched those series that did nothing to entertain you. If you gave anime a fair chance, search out those series that will appeal to your sensibilities, realize that there's more to anime than the current over-hyped, over-marketed, super popular ones you seem to see all over the TV and internet, you will discover a whole new world of amazing stories you will otherwise never experience the pleasure of knowing.

Mushi-Shi was a beautiful show.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    I used to love anime, but not so much anymore. I still appreciate it. I never got the style in the sims though.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    katoregama wrote: »

Totally understandable.

I love Mushishi. I hoped I finished watching it on Netflix before they removed it. The whole show is a complete masterpiece. Very creative and mind-blowing. I was almost on the last two episode. Then I just got bored and anime doesn't interest me as much as it used to before.
  • Options
    Jimil wrote: »

Totally understandable.

I love Mushishi. I hoped I finished watching it on Netflix before they removed it. The whole show is a complete masterpiece. Very creative and mind-blowing. I was almost on the last two episode. Then I just got bored and anime doesn't interest me as much as it used to before.

I'm kind of the same way. I enjoy anime but not nearly as much as I used to.

Of course anime is very widely varied, and it shouldn't be lumped together. Saying Pokémon is in the same boat as Paprika, is like saying Dora the Explorer is in the same boat at Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox.
  • Options

Totally understandable.

Not that I need to justify myself or even "make an effort" to try and like a certain genre of film because someone else says so, but :
    People have recommended so much anime to me. I have tried to sit down and watch numerous anime shows and movies and I can confirm that I hate anime. I haven't enjoyed a single one. I can't get past the terrible art style, the big headed creepy doll like people, and the voice acting.

Accept that some people just hate anime. It's okay that I have different tastes than you.

This 100 times over, and shes being really nice about it 100.

Like at least 80% of anime is sick and twisted as well which is why SimStaffBethelle previously begged for people to not bring those titles up.

• Options
    jvms20jvms20 Posts: 636 Member
    DMC-Dantes.png

That's all I want.

I second that.
    mRzKqv8.gif?1
  • Options
    DMC-Dantes.png

That's all I want.
    Unf. Delicious <3

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    The art style in anime is just as bad as TS4's. It makes me gag.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    That DevilMayCry rebooted character is not anime and is not manga either.
  • Options
    thebunny345thebunny345 Posts: 63 Member
    I tend to like teen romance comedies, myself. A couple of good ones with no nudity are Nisekoi and Toradora.

I have to totally agree here. When i first watched Toradora I fell in love with the story!! It honestly one of the best I have watched