Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Family Tree?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    elektricparadoxelektricparadox Posts: 140 Member
    Also the loss of story progression is a massive pain us legacy makers will eventually end up with a town full of our legacy family as all the other townies will have grown old and died unless we manually keep the neighbourhood going, urghhh

This is def my concern, and surely we'll run out lots as our extended family moves out and spreads too..?
    Origin ~ calliedrose
  • Options
    EmeraldRubyEmeraldRuby Posts: 3,842 Member
    Also the loss of story progression is a massive pain us legacy makers will eventually end up with a town full of our legacy family as all the other townies will have grown old and died unless we manually keep the neighbourhood going, urghhh

This is def my concern, and surely we'll run out lots as our extended family moves out and spreads too..?

Oh god, its going to be a mess! I'm scared...
  • Options
    KaleekoKaleeko Posts: 586 Member
    Yeah, that's definitely a potential problem--I think it'll be easier for people who play with longer lifespans, because by the time the family has spread there will probably be more worlds available for sims to move into. (And at least with TS4 you can access extra worlds like that, instead of locked into one town.) But if your sims are rabbits... Some of the extras might have to move out permanently. :(
  • Options
    Nicarra60Nicarra60 Posts: 2,916 Member
    Kaleeko wrote: »
    Yeah, that's definitely a potential problem--I think it'll be easier for people who play with longer lifespans, because by the time the family has spread there will probably be more worlds available for sims to move into. (And at least with TS4 you can access extra worlds like that, instead of locked into one town.) But if your sims are rabbits... Some of the extras might have to move out permanently. :(
    That reminds me of why I started using NRaas mods for Sims 3. Story progression wasn't working, no kids being born in town and two families I put in town deliberately vanished without a trace. Oh, and for a while, EA story progression killed babies/toddlers at random if you did have them - and the family never mourned their lost little ones.

My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
  • Options
    lozzaloulozzalou Posts: 189 Member
    Why am i only just seeing this? Awww mann!!! i freaking love looking at my family trees :(
    www.thehopkinslegacy.wordpress.com

ORIGIN ID: Lozza-xx

forumsig-1.jpg
  • Options
    lozzaloulozzalou Posts: 189 Member
    > @15MagPies said:
    > I think everyone in town will age, but they will not get married or start families. When they die off, others will move in.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Thats a bit lame lol :(
    www.thehopkinslegacy.wordpress.com

ORIGIN ID: Lozza-xx

forumsig-1.jpg
  • Options
    CatszaCatsza Posts: 72 Member
    Those features that didn't make it to The Sims 4, both family trees and story progression, were essential to me in the previous games. The story progression because I couldn't possibly control all those families at once, especially when my children moved out. And I always had lots of children. Which is where family trees come in. My whole gameplay was based on that feature. My plan was to take a family and marry my sims, divorce them, cheat on them, kill their husbands, all the while leaving a trail of babies behind. Eventually, I would make a huge family tree in which every family in my neighboorhood was connected in one was or another. I was so sad to see this feature missing from the new series installation. I really hope it won't prove to be a huge disadvantage of the game, for me.
  • Options
    SilentWindODoomSilentWindODoom Posts: 36 Member
    It is sad to say this, but I wonder if the loss of a family tree isn't a matter of time constraints, like pools and toddlers. The neighborhoods are very small. Have family trees been dropped consciously because it doesn't take long for everyone to become related and inbred, and they want to avoid a graphical representation of that in the game? Just keeping relationship tags to close relations allows for bloodlines to become blurred and after a while forgotten. In truth... that's more accurate to real life, as bloodlines cross and recross all the time through history. I don't know if this is true or not, but I understand them taking this feature out on purpose for this reason.
    9kv85d.jpg
  • Options
    KaleekoKaleeko Posts: 586 Member
    @SilentWindODoom That's a possibility, but I think since they got rid of story progression, the only way that any sims can reproduce is by the player's hand--so the town becoming overpopulated by one family lineage is unlikely, unless the player is juggling a lot of households at once. :)

It's certainly something that could happen over many many generations played by someone who's very good at micro managing lots of households, but I think it's more likely that they're just trying to cut out anything that could make the save file size too large. Family tree information was pretty taxing in TS3, they probably could have streamlined it for TS4 but like with a lot of features, rather than find a way to slim them down they cut them entirely. I personally don't mind in most cases, I'd definitely prefer TS4 to be as speedy and slick as possible.
  • Options
    wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    No family tree and no story progression are the only things missing from TS4 that make me :( I'm just hoping someone will develop a mod for it.
  • Options
    SparkleSparkle Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm irritated that its not easily accessible in game but to me its not the end of the world maybe because the tree never showed the relationships I was most interested in anyway :/

I'll be creating my own family tree. I did that in Sims 2 based on the in game one (below - I LOVED this family tree! :D). I tried to do the same in 3 but it didn't work and eventually I gave up on the game so didn't really need it XD. I will create my own in 4 as well, hopefully based on the relationship panel pictures if they are decent enough.
    Post edited by Sparkle on
    Origin: sparklesim | Twitter | Facebook | Click below to read about my Sims 4 Hood
    SparkleSimsSig2.png
  • Options
    Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    ....So does anyone know if the game keeps tabs on grandparents and in-laws and cousins? I understand there will be no family tree, but have we lost all extended relationships within the game too?
  • Options
    OphylleniOphylleni Posts: 60 Member
    > @ladybastilla said:
    > For those asking about Family Echo, apparently it's a free online family tree maker. Pretty cool.

Thanks so much for this link. I just downloaded it and it's a wonderful way to keep up with all kinds of information regarding your Sim family.