Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wraith, the Gateway to the Underworld

Comments

• Options
    trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    I'm relieved that there are no tombs. I never play them, anyway.

Didn't find anything else unusual about the Red Gate aside from the aforementioned bathroom issue. Every other spot in it is perfectly routeable.

Got myself a horse and am roaming the town as I type this. I am now noticing some lot designation issues, though:

4. Dressed in White, the salon, is not designated as a salon.
    5. Is Mary-Ann's Place supposed to be designated as something?
    6. Fields of Unforgiveness should be designated as a horse ranch.
    7. Locked and Loaded should be designated as a Laundromat.

Alright, I've finished roaming. Went through every path I could think of on horseback and didn't encounter any issues, so I think horse-routing should be fine. Maybe someone else might encounter something, though; I rarely play equestrians, so there might have been paths I didn't even think of.
  • Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited May 2015
    Being that I am not a man of my word, I have created some tombs to hide the diver treasure chests (well, they are technically tombs, but there is not much to explore really). I will test these on my own. I am also making one dive lot. This will have the remaining treasure chests. You may have noticed that the world does not have a fire station. This was intentional.
  • Options
    Hee! This is so exciting!

Also, that makes sense that there is no fire station. Kind of hard to put out the eternal fires :P
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    Diving in red water will be a new experience. Personally, I love tombs and secrets in a world. It's a reward of sorts of exploring thoroughly the creative work of the world builder. It feels as though the world is near another release. I know not to ask but here's hoping.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Wraith%20Map_zpsgvwpncvj.jpg
    I am going to upload the sims to this world gradually for testing based upon their location in in the world. The sims that live in section 1 are uploaded with phase 1 of the beta test world. The link to the file is on the front page.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Poor Windsor. Doomed to always serve an obnoxious master, even in the afterlife. But at least in my game he and Gilda have the hots for each other, so I suppose servitude has its perks.

Jim Hickok doesn't seem to have a biography yet. I'll look forward to it when you do add it.

Alright, this is a weird request from me, so feel free to ignore it...but do you think you can rename Nantan Lupan (Lou) to Nantan (Lou) Lupan, with the Nantan (Lou) being his "first name"? I mean, considering his charming personality he'll probably never get married, anyway, but just in case StoryProgression throws him a bone, I'd rather not have a bunch of kids running around with the last name (Lou).

Typo in Eric Maddox's biography: Should be flaming "bag" of dog feces instead of "bad." (Oh wow, the forum actually let me type that XD)

I have to admit, Steve Reilly is my favorite character so far, and I hope that at least one of the other residents you add will be connected to him in some way; I would love to know more about his story. I just about screamed when I went to build mode at his house to buy a dog bowl and found his secret room instead; well done! ETA: Oh, there was a dog bowl outside. Heh, my bad.

That's all for now; I'm too sleepy to really go through the routing check at the moment, so I'll probably do that tomorrow. I'm so excited!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Alright, I've been playing this world all morning. No routing issues except for Overwatch pestering me about the proprietors, but when I come check them out there's nothing wrong with them? They're just standing on the stage thing? So I think it's probably nothing.

So it all looks good so far. Here's a picture of Gilda Switt randomly leaping into Vincent Windsor's arms, like I didn't need to keep my breakfast down today:
    Screenshot_zpsq9ip3rjo.jpg

The pain in his eyes says it all.
    Post edited by trollnexus on
  • Options
    I have just installed Beta Phase 1 of Wraith and just had time to take the "real estate tour" via the magnifying glass preview and read the texts of the households and homesteads and have to say this: EVERYONE should at least install and look at this world, whether it be to your taste or not, as it shows how amazingly creative CAW can be, and see a world one never dreamt would be feasible via Sims 3. One of a kind, breaking every barrier, and kudos to Quailhogs and his talent and demented imagination. Go to the roof top of the Red Gate and view the world from a perfect vantage point, from sky to water. Truly mind-blowing.
  • Options
    The small cottage on the property of the sulfer chapel seems to be set as the front door as indicated by the mailbox location. Unless it's intentional...
  • Options
    You asked about riding horses further up this page. The two who live at the base of the Red Gate have been pretty miserable as I am currently playing that household. Horse travel is tough for me to explore for routing, as I find myself caring for the horses myself. Yep, got me a job down in Plum. Sometimes (and most of the time in this world), animals are more sympathetic characters than the human counterparts, "human" being used with a grain or two of salt. The horses are training themselves by running around the brick pillars at the base and have each reached level two racing. So my tester is a hot babe and is now expecting Lord Olaf's baby and they are engaged. They both are daredevils and have interests in working out and horses. Oh, and she's insane. They both dream at night of the fire colored horse. Horses are always in charge; the 'horseman' is an extension of the horse. The opposite of old western cinema.
  • Options
    These are good suggestions, I will certainly act upon them.
    Sharonxyz: Is the horse routing at the red gate functional? My primary concern is that the horses do not get frequently trapped.
  • Options
    It seems that programming, perhaps in a patch, made the horses magically able to walk through one another and sometimes clip the structure. It's odd seeing horses walk through each other, but it's painful seeing them just plain stuck. In terms of the Red Gate, if it's possible to level out that road a bit further towards town, at least on that lot, the horses would have more room. Placing a salt lick too far to the front of that lot made the horses frustrated, as that slight dip in the terrain affects horses more than human sims. Horses are very high maintenance for those who care, and I think that since I do care I should urge the riders to take the steeds for exercise. Ironically, the paparazzi are helpful here; often I find them giving affection to the horses. Sims, as a rule, are never self starters in any skill that they wish to have, doing everything else instead. No matter the personality, if they are horse owners they won't mount a horse to learn. Books might work, but hard to say with this crowd. I've queued up simple kindnesses such as brush or rub the horse's neck, but strong personalities with powerful traits will become easily distracted from a queue. I know that it's not helping you test the world if I change their traits to equestrian or kinder attitudes. They are meant to be right at home in Plum; the animals are innocent I am sure. I will try to be more objective, and less biased, playing less and testing more. It's a wonderful world.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well I'm blind, I see you put a horse ranch just around the corner from the Red Gate. Olaf rode his horse to the park, did a couple laps, rode the horse to the equestrian center, took a riding class (while the horse napped outside) and then rode home. Horse and rider are fine, no problems at all. The horses can be sent there on their own to practice and socialize as well.
    Post edited by sharonxyz on
  • Options
    Never would have guessed that your most beautiful world is the one in 'Plum' as the censors call it. Discovered the park and at night with the flower lights lit in the water it is lovely. Your lighting in this world not only makes it surreal, but also very, very pretty.
  • Options
    sharonxyz is right; the lighting is gorgeous. I know I'm not the best photographer, but I've taken a couple of pictures to show others what she's talking about:

Ahh, nothing like reading a book at the park as a murderer plays some chess in the distance:
    Screenshot_zpshu7vq3ka.jpg

I'm a little angry that my pictures don't do this world justice, but gosh! Look at the pretty fountain and the lights! And the barely-concealed dead bodies!
    Screenshot-2_zpsjt65wgaj.jpg

When you're an angry ex-king, all you can do is stare out into the distance in a rickety old chair at the top of your mountain home:
    Screenshot-3_zpsidpygkuj.jpg

You may be in the place of eternal darnation, but you have to admit...it's darn pretty. The starlight may be clouded over by red smog, but in a way, it's comforting to be so protected from the outside world. (Or suffocating. Take your pick.)
    Screenshot-4_zpsmj0muhil.jpg

That's all I got. I would have taken more, but I get motion-sick easily, so I don't fiddle around with camera mode more than strictly necessary XD
  • Options
    Looking forward to Beta release 2...Part one is perfect I think.
  • Options
    Me too! I look forward to meeting more characters!
  • Options
    @trollnexus: Great screenshots! Lighting can be the hardest thing to capture, hard to make it like 'being there'. Yours are close though! Aren't you loving this world? It's unlike anything I've seen and the characters are more than colorful! I read his blog and the stories behind the characters are so creative and now having met a few I too look forward to meeting more!
  • Options
    @sharonxyz yeah it's so hard to capture >3< I turned on all my graphics settings to the max (which gave my computer a heart attack) just to do the world justice. I think when I actually play it I'll tune down some of the settings for smooth gameplay, but for storytelling it's always nice to see all the details. Anyway thank you!!

I really am loving this world. I honestly thought Quailhogs couldn't get any better; I've installed Grey Meadow, The Stoneshields, Vargfjell, and Huntsborough, falling in love with each one. Whenever I'm feeling down, I like to just go to Edit Town mode and read all his lot descriptions for a laugh, or I read every character's bio. And you're right; his Tumblr is awesome.

But this world...I think it's even better than all the others. Throughout, you can see how he's grown as a builder, how much more creative he gets with each world, each version/update of the worlds. Despite how he says he's surly, he's very open to criticism and advice, and I admire that about him. The characters and the details show how much thought he puts into his projects. They all feel so real, right down to their facial features.

So yeah, I look forward to more!! Woo!
  • Options
    cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    I am in love with this world so far! The New Mexico architectural style is awesome! Here are some shots from my game.

Dat sky!
    2hi6v85.jpg
    My Sim decided to play a kick-the-ball-thing with Lord Olaf while at the Horse Ranch! What could possibly go wrong? :P
    309txed.jpg
    Finding treasure!
    2i772hl.jpg

I have noticed that when my Sim gets in a boat to go to the dive lot the action always cancels, so I had to force him to swim to the dive lot. Same scenario pretty much happened when I told him to go home from the dive lot. He had to swim to the shore instead of ride a taxi boat. On the plus side, this gave me more time to admire the red water! :D The docks are really pretty too.

I'm excited for the Beta 2 release!
  • Options
    @cheesetruck that is a gorgeous picture of the sky!
  • Options
    cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    @trollnexus Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Phase 2 is up. You may notice a new image that replaces the vertical Bitter Girls poster... of a certain inhabitant prior to becoming flayed. (if you miss the Bitter Girls poster in that particular size, I'm sorry.)
  • Options
    Pfft I honestly wouldn't mind if you replaced all the artwork, as long as it made sense in this world. Love the new poster!

Adoring the new characters so far. Each new backstory adds depth into the world, and it's nice to see more relationships, whether they be friendships or animosities. Each character is gorgeously detailed; I love your use of makeup and clothing. They really do look like corpses in the underworld :D

One question: Where does Fiona's dress come from? I can't seem to find it in any of the EPs, and it's bugging me not to know. It's a lovely dress, fitting of her background. Is it CC like the paintings, where it only exists in this particular world?

Game-wise, everything's running smoothly so far; no one's getting stuck or anything. It's still early, though; I'll let you know if I run into any problems later on.
  • Options
    I unlocked Fiona's dress with the cheat code "unlockoutfits true" prior to entering CAS. The dress comes from Ambitions and can be unlocked by using the time machine... I think?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top