Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Even if Sims 4 ends up being great

All the people raving about how bad it is going to be will refuse to believe it. There could be 100 posts on the forums excitedly enthusing about how good the game is going to be, and they will convince themselves that everyone is lying. They will be so caught up in their condemnation of the game that they will refuse to even give it a try.

How do I know this? Despite all the high praise from people who have actually gotten an opportunity to play the game, they counter it all by saying that the reviewers are being encouraged to give praise where it's undeserved. They believe this despite the enthusiasm and excitement the reviewers are displaying. These aren't actors, they are just fans of the series, and you can tell they are excited after playing the game.

Despite the fact that the people who have played the game are saying it's good, they feel their opinion that it is bad should be valued higher, despite the fact that they have never played the game.

They feel that any game that removes x or y feature can't possibly be good. What they fail to realize is this isn't Sims 3 with a graphics overhaul, it's Sims 4 an entirely new game, with a new engine, a new concept, new, new, new.

So while they are stuck spending hours more on a game that has been played out with dated graphics and a buggy engine by any standard, most of us will be enjoying a new game. I for one am ready for the new and I feel kind of bad for all the people who refuse to take their blinders off long enough to see Sims 4 for what it is, a new start.

Comments

• Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited August 2014
    I highly doubt the release is going to go that way but even if it did I don't think anyone would be saying the positive reviews are lying, just that they, for whatever reason are ok with all the glaring omissions. I personally don't care who likes after release, I know how I like to play and I know the features that make me enjoy the game are not present in ts4 and therefor I don't need to spend my money on it or ever say that I think it's a good game when I don't.
  • Options
    SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited August 2014
    Alysha1988 wrote:
    I highly doubt the release is going to go that way but even if it did I don't think anyone would be saying the positive reviews are lying, just that they, for whatever reason are ok with all the glaring omissions. I personally don't care who likes after release, I know how I like to play and I know the features that make me enjoy the game are not present in ts4 and therefor I don't need to spend my money on it or ever say that I think it's a good game when I don't.

Agreed.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited August 2014
    #1 rule in buying Sims-games: Don't believe a word Yibsims or Creator-camp people say.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    It's only a great game if I can play the game the way I want -- and so far I haven't seen that. Seems to be less of a "sandbox" game and more of a "results" game; do XYZ and get this reward. That's not the kind of play I like -- there's a reason why World Adventures and Showtime are my least favorite packs even though both have items and features that I really like (genies, mechanical bull and karaoke in Showtime, the martial arts skill and new harvestable plants/trees in WA).

I'll be watching Let's Plays, and live play on Twitch, and if it looks like the game isn't as bad as feared and I can indeed play it in my preferred style without missing out on anything, and if a few months down the road I feel it's going in a direction I like, I'll get it then. But I'll still enjoy Sims 3 in the meantime.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2014
    #1 rule in buying Sims-games: Don't believe a word Yibsims or Creator-camp people say.

Why not? :shock:

You think they're been bought? You think they can only say nice things? You think just because they might like something they saw that it's a lie?

Wow... that's so sad. :(

OP- Just because a lot of people like a game it doesn't mean everyone will. There are a lot of games I've tried that never lasted more then the first hour because I didn't like them. They are good selling and very popular games and yet, I didn't like them. It's just the way things are- not everyone will like the same thing.

I like The Sims 2 and I like playing the old, played out and out dated game. Poor me... :lol:
    I don't have to buy the next new game just because it's new or that the game I like is kinda old. I haven't even done everything in The Sims nor The Sims 2. The Sims 3 could have many years of play for me if I tried to do it all. . . Lol! I'm good and can wait for the game to be cheaper.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2014
    I know - I don't get that - nor do I consider the people who went there distrustful or yibsims or any other derogatory name. Many are friends of mine and creators I have known since the started with Sims. So I do find that statement a bit low and uncalled for.

I know for a fact they don't buy everything EA puts out and they darn sure don't agree with many of EA's practices. I know because I talk with many of them a fair amount of time. Yibsims? Not the Creators in that group anyway. I cannot judge the influencers though as I don't know most of them.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited August 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

You think they're been bought? You think they can only say nice things? You think just because they might like something they saw that it's a lie?

No, I do believe that they like what they see, even I do that. But when you're wined and dined and return home TS4 goodies, I can imagine that you're not inclined to bite the hand that feeds. As in, they're not independent and that makes them an unreliable source for news.

Also, the nametag that classifies some of them as 'Influencers' is the biggest red flag that can be waved over Creator Camp. The people who wore that tag are amongst the most untrustworthy of news-sources and as such EA did us a favor by tagging them.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

No, I do believe that they like what they see, even I do that. But when you're wined and dined and return home TS4 goodies, I can imagine that you're not inclined to bite the hand that feeds. As in, they're not independent and that makes them an unreliable source for news.

Also, the nametag that classifies some of them as 'Influencers' is the biggest red flag that can be waved over Creator Camp. The people who wore that tag are amongst the most untrustworthy of news-sources and as such EA did us a favor by tagging them.

Lol! :lol:
  • Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2014
    If the overwhelming number of posts made by average simmers about the game are positive when it is released then why wouldn't people believe them?

I tend to be pretty skeptical of professional reviews because it's not in gaming magazines / websites interests to bite the hand that feeds them, but if the majority simmers - including those who had their doubts but bought it to try - on this and other sites are all raving about how awesome the game is then I'd assume they are right.
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited August 2014
    Wow. :shock:

I to don't think anyone was bought. And the by saying they are, people are just making them feel bad, guilty for even accepting an invitation to play.

Let me tell you, I would go if I were invited. Most people would. A free trip, a hotel sweet room, a chance to meet other simmers, and to play the game! I would really want to do all of that. Then I'd come home and feel horrible after reading all this stuff people keep saying about them. It's not their fault. Passing judgement on them for doing what any fan would is unfair.
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2014
    jmac2727 wrote:
    They feel that any game that removes x or y feature can't possibly be good. What they fail to realize is this isn't Sims 3 with a graphics overhaul, it's Sims 4 an entirely new game, with a new engine, a new concept, new, new, new.

I find it very interesting that these were some of the very arguments people had to counter all the ranting and raving that Sims 3 endured when it was first launched. People have argued almost the same things about TS4 that they argued against TS3 at its release. People did feel that too much had been compromised for TS3's new style from how the game was for TS2. They found that staples that they had loved were removed or replaced with systems they did not like. Some people even argued that TS3 should have been a TS2 with better graphics. I just feel like a lot of déjà vu is flying around these forums right now, and I'm just waiting for it to all settle back into place again.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited August 2014
    Someone could make the exact same counter-post to this one saying that even if the game stinks, all of The Sims 4 enthusiasts will refuse to acknowledge the game's shortcomings just to save face.

As for valuing the Yibsims and Creator Campers' opinions, I've learned not to place anyone's opinion above my own. Will I listen to them? Yes. Will I consider them? Of course. But at the end of the day, I know my own mind, tastes and play-style best. My own sister and I are at loggerheads over this game, she being more hopeful and I being more cynical. If I'm not going to let my own flesh and blood influence me--the person I trust most in the world--good luck to anyone else.

I know what I like and I know what I don't. Simple as that.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2014
    jmac2727 wrote:
    All the people raving about how bad it is going to be will refuse to believe it. There could be 100 posts on the forums excitedly enthusing about how good the game is going to be, and they will convince themselves that everyone is lying. They will be so caught up in their condemnation of the game that they will refuse to even give it a try.

How do I know this? Despite all the high praise from people who have actually gotten an opportunity to play the game, they counter it all by saying that the reviewers are being encouraged to give praise where it's undeserved. They believe this despite the enthusiasm and excitement the reviewers are displaying. These aren't actors, they are just fans of the series, and you can tell they are excited after playing the game.

Despite the fact that the people who have played the game are saying it's good, they feel their opinion that it is bad should be valued higher, despite the fact that they have never played the game.

So while they are stuck spending hours more on a game that has been played out with dated graphics and a buggy engine by any standard, most of us will be enjoying a new game. I for one am ready for the new and I feel kind of bad for all the people who refuse to take their blinders off long enough to see Sims 4 for what it is, a new start.

The thing is though, you have to consider why these people were invited to the creator camp in the first place but someone like LGR who is widely known for giving an HONEST opinion (be it positive or negative) was not. It's difficult to see the praise as anything other than the equivalent of a paid review at this point.

At the end of the day everyone is going to have a different opinion about this game. Now I don't resent anyone who happens to like what we've been shown so far and I most certainly do not begrudge anyone their choice to order this game - if these people like it then that is OK by me. However I will not have my own opinion marginalised as simply hating the game just to hate it / being blinkered because I don't happen to like the game.

At the end of the day I wanted to like the game, but EA has made it next to impossible for me to do so. I can't see that changing in the long run unless they pull something spectacular from their bums. However if they DO and I end up liking the game? Then I'll admit to it. I'm not someone who hates simply to hate - I hate TS4 at the moment because it seems like we're making a bunch of important compromises but we aren't actually getting anything substantial in return.