Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Running list of confirmed features, 201 and counting!

Comments

• Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    I_am_bean wrote: »
    Have they not seen the other list or even read it?

Yeah, I've read it, and I don't agree with Bflury in that I think that most of the stuff left out isn't that big of a deal. There's still going to be a lot of great content and lot of new game play in the Sims 4 when it launches. Sure I'm upset about them leaving certain things out, like toddlers, pools, and probably ghosts at this point, but there's still going to be a lot in there.

• Options
    AlizatinaAlizatina Posts: 2,189 Member
    "Animated" hair is in the base game of the Sims 2, it's more just swooshy in the middle, and the top and ends are static.
    200.gif
    cFVKsID.png
    “It’s very dangerous,” she said, “falling in love with someone’s flaws.”
  • Options
    Alizatina wrote: »
    "Animated" hair is in the base game of the Sims 2, it's more just swooshy in the middle, and the top and ends are static.

Okay thanks for correcting me on that.
  • Options
    PmlTryPmlTry Posts: 783 Member
    What new features in TS4 would enhance legacy gameplay? I'm not being snarky here -- I'd really like to know. I'm not really very interested in Sims being ambidextrous or being able to place things on new objects. I'm interested in following the generations of a family in multiple households (because, as some of you may have noticed, family generations do tend to come in multiple households.)
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    PmlTry wrote: »
    What new features in TS4 would enhance legacy gameplay? I'm not being snarky here -- I'd really like to know. I'm not really very interested in Sims being ambidextrous or being able to place things on new objects. I'm interested in following the generations of a family in multiple households (because, as some of you may have noticed, family generations do tend to come in multiple households.)

Frankly, they've taken out a lot of stuff aimed at legacy players. My suspicion is that they're going to put together a rather large legacy type EP with toddler, preteens, family trees, etc.

However, if you haven't read Pinstars articles on the game, you definitely should since he explains things specifically from a legacy player perspective. Pinstars articles. I just linked to his blog because pretty much all his current posts are about TS4.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    AngelicScotAngelicScot Posts: 125 Member
    I'd heard that Left-handed Sims would be possible a long, long time ago. Being a left-handed person, this pleased me. But I've heard naught else about it recently. So, I'd have to say it probably isn't likely unless it's been confirmed by someone.
  • Options
    AlizatinaAlizatina Posts: 2,189 Member
    Damienf519 wrote: »

Okay thanks for correcting me on that.

No problem! :)
    200.gif
    cFVKsID.png
    “It’s very dangerous,” she said, “falling in love with someone’s flaws.”
  • Options
    averee90averee90 Posts: 448 Member
    You people aren't allowed to bump this list.

J/K, couldn't resist. >:)
  • Options
    ebuchala wrote: »

Frankly, they've taken out a lot of stuff aimed at legacy players. My suspicion is that they're going to put together a rather large legacy type EP with toddler, preteens, family trees, etc.

However, if you haven't read Pinstars articles on the game, you definitely should since he explains things specifically from a legacy player perspective. Pinstars articles. I just linked to his blog because pretty much all his current posts are about TS4.

Thank you. I'll check them out, though I should tell you that Pinstars rules for legacies interest me not at all, and I tend to ignore them.
  • Options
    I_am_beanI_am_bean Posts: 1,568 Member

Though things have been removed, I think that the new feature of being able to turn aging off of specific households and still leave aging on for others is helpful to legacy game play. That way you can do rotational game play and not have to worry about your sims randomly moving out of the town or never having children of their own since you can now control what they do more finely.
  • Options

Though things have been removed, I think that the new feature of being able to turn aging off of specific households and still leave aging on for others is helpful to legacy game play. That way you can do rotational game play and not have to worry about your sims randomly moving out of the town or never having children of their own since you can now control what they do more finely.

None of my sims randomly moved out of town, and it was fine with me if some didn't have children of their own. That's how family trees in real life often work, and I like realism.

• Options

Thank you. I'll check them out, though I should tell you that Pinstars rules for legacies interest me not at all, and I tend to ignore them.

I don't do legacy play so I really have no idea about how all the rules work but I figure he's probably one of the few legacy players that went so the info might give you an idea of how things work with legacy play. Hopefully, it'll have enough to give you an idea if it's worth it to get now, if you should wait to get it later or maybe not at all.
  • Options
    Before I use Nrass story progression and other mods my sims would be moving in and out of town so fast I couldn't keep up with who lived where and who had vanished.
  • Options
    Before I use Nrass story progression and other mods my sims would be moving in and out of town so fast I couldn't keep up with who lived where and who had vanished.

But Nrass story progression took care of that.

Why is not having that option at all an improvement?

So far, I'm seeing bupkes for legacy players and therefore nothing in this game for me.
  • Options
    ? Not sure I'm understanding you...
  • Options

He's not happy that many of the legacy player options are missing (toddlers, family trees, story progression, portraits, I guess). That's pretty much it, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    @ebuchala I agree. But I do like the fact that I can turn aging off for specific households. I think this group of devs actually took a lot of Mod creators content for TS3 and incorporated into TS4 which is really cool IMO.
  • Options
    @ebuchala I agree. But I do like the fact that I can turn aging off for specific households. I think this group of devs actually took a lot of Mod creators content for TS3 and incorporated into TS4 which is really cool IMO.

I really like the additional control we have over aging. I think there are a number of things they've given us extra control over. I kind of got the impression that they went with a mentality of giving the player as much control of the sims as possible. Without a full open world, there doesn't seem to be much reason to completely drop SP unless it's by design. With that said, I don't normally micromanage whole towns so I always liked the idea of SP. I'm not sure how this is all going to work for me. Fortunately, I don't do legacies or really follow a lot of the townies regularly so I'm not sure it will have a huge impact on my game play style.
  • Options

Not sure what's unclear here. You seem to be saying that the story progression in TS3 resulted in Sims moving randomly away and all sorts of problems, but the NRASS mod you downloaded took care of that.

Without any story progression at all, an SP mod can't be created.

So the option -- which was working for you, once you'd downloaded the mods -- is now gone entirely. Poof! No story progression.

Which, by the way, could be turned off in TS3 if you didn't want to use it.

How is removing that option entirely an improvement?
  • Options

Not sure what's unclear here. You seem to be saying that the story progression in TS3 resulted in Sims moving randomly away and all sorts of problems, but the NRASS mod you downloaded took care of that.

So the option -- which was working for you, once you'd downloaded the mods -- is now gone entirely. Poof! No story progression.

I don't know of too many people who have claimed it's an improvement, though I do recall one or two saying that they were glad it's gone because of how it didn't function properly in TS3. I suspect that's why I_am_bean is saying they don't understand you. You seem to be accusing people of something they aren't saying so it's a little confusing. Functional story progression that can be turned on and off, to me, would be the best option, but it's not being included currently. However, free will is already in place and memories so I don't think it's impossible to believe Maxis themselves might add SP in a patch later on. Also, a modder has already noted that he thinks it will be possible to mod in story progression though there's no way to know for sure until the game it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It would probably make more sense for them to patch in toddlers rather than include them in an EP, same with Preteens. For one thing, EA wouldn't be able to make any money off DLC for toddlers or preteens if they did that. EA pretty much never sold any DLC at the Sims 3 store that required an expansion pack. There wasn't much of a profit in it, since you'd have to own both the base game and the expansion pack and still have enough money to buy extra store content. There would also be very little content for either age group, and practically all of it, would come with that expansion. Not mention when they added supernaturals with other EPs, people would be upset if none of the new lifestates also had toddlers and preteens. It would also be very difficult to create say toddler or preteen vampires, if they were in an EP prior to the one that added toddlers and preteens, so I don't think that will happen.

Family trees should also be something simple enough that they could add via a very small patch.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It would probably make more sense for them to patch in toddlers rather than include them in an EP, same with Preteens. For one thing, EA wouldn't be able to make any money off DLC for toddlers or preteens if they did that. EA pretty much never sold any DLC at the Sims 3 store that required an expansion pack. There wasn't much of a profit in it, since There would also be very little content for either age group, and practically all of it, would come with that expansion. Not mention when they added supernaturals with other EPs, people would be upset if none of the new lifestates also had toddlers and preteens. It would also be very difficult to create say toddler or preteen vampires, if they were in an EP prior to the one that added toddlers and preteens, so I don't think that will happen.

Family trees should also be something simple enough that they could add via a very small patch.
    Oh, my assumption is that they'll do something similar to the Generations pack but with more legacy type features (bring back family trees and portraits) and patch in toddlers and preteens when they do it.

ETA: Obviously, I could be completely wrong. I'm just guessing based on them wanting to make money and at the same time make things expandable.
  • Options

I don't know of too many people who have claimed it's an improvement, though I do recall one or two saying that they were glad it's gone because of how it didn't function properly in TS3. I suspect that's why I_am_bean is saying they don't understand you. You seem to be accusing people of something they aren't saying so it's a little confusing. Functional story progression that can be turned on and off, to me, would be the best option, but it's not being included currently. However, free will is already in place and memories so I don't think it's impossible to believe Maxis themselves might add SP in a patch later on. Also, a modder has already noted that he thinks it will be possible to mod in story progression though there's no way to know for sure until the game it out.

If and when they do, I'll likely purchase the game -- if and when they make it for the Mac. But until then, I'm just going to have to chalk this up to EA either ignoring a significant portion of their customer base or scrambling from their discovery last year with the SC5 launch that there is a limit to what their customers will tolerate.

I'm actually trying very hard not to put words in people's mouths. My original question was "what improvements are there or legacy players?" That's what I was referring to.

• Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Is slow-dancing in?!?! This should be a basic core feature! It will be absolutely disgusting if it's not in base game! I WILL make such a scene!
  • Options

It would probably make more sense for them to patch in toddlers rather than include them in an EP, same with Preteens. For one thing, EA wouldn't be able to make any money off DLC for toddlers or preteens if they did that. EA pretty much never sold any DLC at the Sims 3 store that required an expansion pack. There wasn't much of a profit in it, since There would also be very little content for either age group, and practically all of it, would come with that expansion. Not mention when they added supernaturals with other EPs, people would be upset if none of the new lifestates also had toddlers and preteens. It would also be very difficult to create say toddler or preteen vampires, if they were in an EP prior to the one that added toddlers and preteens, so I don't think that will happen.

Oh, my assumption is that they'll do something similar to the Generations pack but with more legacy type features (bring back family trees and portraits) and patch in toddlers and preteens when they do it.

ETA: Obviously, I could be completely wrong. I'm just guessing based on them wanting to make money and at the same time make things expandable.

Maybe, or at least toddlers, but don't count on them doing that.