Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm genuinely saddened by how LOW this franchise has stooped (RESPECTFUL RANT)

Let's all take a quick journey back in time, circa 2000. Remember when no one ever thought The Sims would become big? No one wanted to support Will Wrights ideas. Finally they came to life, and it changed so much. Expansion packs gave quality content, EA didn't purposefully take things out to sell it in DLC, and the game had soul.

Now let's make a quick time jump to 2004, with The Sims 2. Probably one of the best sequels of all time (IMO). It brought heart, love, warmth, challenge, laughter, raunchiness, and a little hint of ridiculousness. It was a perfect game for that time. Remember when we all were genuinely excited for an EP, because we knew that it would be everything we'd ever wanted? Remember when it would take forever to explore every aspect of an expansion pack? Remember when you could play for hours, and never get bored? It was a proper sequel that stayed true to the franchise.

5 years later, and EA gives us The Sims 3. A game that had SO much potential. A game that could have been amazing. Instead we got a buggy, laggy, glitchy mess. Luckily it was fixed, at least for me, and I can play it with ease. But...where's the heart? The soul? There was no life in this game, at least not compared to TS2. The expansion packs had little content, and I found myself discovering everything fairly easily. The challenge was gone. EA took out the raunchiness and sexy themes. EA started to deliberately exclude things from EPs, only so that they could sell it separately on TS3 Store. It was at this time that the franchise was becoming a cash cow. They were milking TS3 dry, until they couldn't milk it anymore. Then they tossed it aside, ignoring the issues that needed to be fixed.

Now we're back here, in 2014. EA promises that they learned from their mistakes. Until The Sims 4 Olympus was leaked, and their plot to turn the game into online only, backfired. So they scrapped up what they could, and now we have this...this poor excuse of a game. The charm is gone. The humor is gone. The raunchiness is gone. Family play is gone. Everything is gone! And why is it gone, you might ask? Because they can sell all of it to you separately, and get away with it! As a sequel to a successful franchise, you would think that EA would want innovation. Instead they want to back-pedal back to 2000! No open world, no CASt, no toddlers, no cars, no ghosts, no bikes, no story progression, no pools, NOTHING! Half of those things are STAPLES to the franchise. Dumbing the game down to a whole new level. It, quite honestly, sickens me.

What has EA been doing for 5 years?! This game is just so empty, and barren. I see no life, no heart, and no SOUL, in this game! It truly saddens me. I have loved this franchise since I was a little kid. This franchise has been a huge part of my life. To see EA take it and shred it into a million pieces, hurts me. And it should hurt you, too. There is no excuse for this. None. These graphics for a 2014, are unacceptable. This is the 4th INSTALLMENT TO THIS FRANCHISE...the FOURTH ONE! FOURTH! How is it, that the ORIGINAL game had more things in it, than this game?! How is it that TS2, a game that is a DECADE old, still has smarter sims, cars (with animations), pools, toddlers, ghosts, and riveting gameplay, than this game? HOW?! How is TS3, a game that is 5 years old, as well as outdated, have an open, seamless world, with GORGEOUS graphics? How is it that each and every one of this game's predecessors have something TS4 doesn't have? It is truly mind boggling.

Just see for yourself! This is beautiful, and awesome!

Screenshot-23_zps040ad9c1.jpg

Screenshot-403_zpsfccd9484.jpg

Screenshot-391_zps77743d7d.jpg

And this is just pitiful, and downright embarrassing, compared to TS3. This looks like MySims!

Untitled.jpg

To me, this doesn't even look like a game that belongs in this franchise. EA has disappointed me before, but never like this. I cannot believe that THIS is going to associated with the classic original, the iconic TS2, and the beautiful TS3. I refuse to consider this part of the franchise. This is the last straw for me. I really think I'm done with EA, as of right now. Once again, my expectations are shattered. Smh... :(

At this point, I wouldn't touch this mess with a ten foot pole. This is just shameful. And this will never be a Sims game, in my eyes. You can call it The Sims all you want, but it will never be The Sims.

Comments

• Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2014
    What also bothers me is the people hellbent on defending EA. Those are the worst types of fans IMO. The people that see nothing bad about what EA is doing, and the people that don't see how EA is playing them like a fiddle.

It's just frustrating to watch.
  • Options
    samuliinisamuliini Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2014
    OOPS, wrong reaction :oops:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    edited August 2014
    you know I for one was one of those people who was supporting EA and was excited about sims 4 "was" not anymore :(...after hearing features we're cut especially when it started with the pool's and toddler's I was just more confused than anything as to why would they do that...then here we are today...cars and ghosts are probably out of the picture since they like to use the "no comment" routine...which I am sad about considering I was looking forward to having a new game for the fall to play with, but for a base game with so little in it just may not be worth the price which I have already canceled my pre order :cry:...I would hope they would take into consideration fixing or adding some of these back, but most likely they won't...unless it's in a ep
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    simssims2sims3simssims2sims3 Posts: 400 Member
    edited August 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Let's all take a quick journey back in time, circa 2000. Remember when no one ever thought The Sims would become big? No one wanted to support Will Wrights ideas. Finally they came to life, and it changed so much. Expansion packs gave quality content, EA didn't purposefully take things out to sell it in DLC, and the game had soul.

Now let's make a quick time jump to 2004, with The Sims 2. Probably one of the best sequels of all time (IMO). It brought heart, love, warmth, challenge, laughter, raunchiness, and a little hint of ridiculousness. It was a perfect game for that time. Remember when we all were genuinely excited for an EP, because we knew that it would be everything we'd ever wanted? Remember when it would take forever to explore every aspect of an expansion pack? Remember when you could play for hours, and never get bored? It was a proper sequel that stayed true to the franchise.

5 years later, and EA gives us The Sims 3. A game that had SO much potential. A game that could have been amazing. Instead we got a buggy, laggy, glitchy mess. Luckily it was fixed, at least for me, and I can play it with ease. But...where's the heart? The soul? There was no life in this game, at least not compared to TS2. The expansion packs had little content, and I found myself discovering everything fairly easily. The challenge was gone. EA took out the raunchiness and sexy themes. EA started to deliberately exclude things from EPs, only so that they could sell it separately on TS3 Store. It was at this time that the franchise was becoming a cash cow. They were milking TS3 dry, until they couldn't milk it anymore. Then they tossed it aside, ignoring the issues that needed to be fixed.

Now we're back here, in 2014. EA promises that they learned from their mistakes. Until The Sims 4 Olympus was leaked, and their plot to turn the game into online only, backfired. So they scrapped up what they could, and now we have this...this poor excuse of a game. The charm is gone. The humor is gone. The raunchiness is gone. Family play is gone. Everything is gone! And why is it gone, you might ask? Because they can sell all of it to you separately, and get away with it! As a sequel to a successful franchise, you would think that EA would want innovation. Instead they want to back-pedal back to 2000! No open world, no CASt, no toddlers, no cars, no ghosts, no bikes, no story progression, no pools, NOTHING! Half of those things are STAPLES to the franchise. Dumbing the game down to a whole new level. It, quite honestly, sickens me.

What has EA been doing for 5 years?! This game is just so empty, and barren. I see no life, no heart, and no SOUL, in this game! It truly saddens me. I have loved this franchise since I was a little kid. This franchise has been a huge part of my life. To see EA take it and shred it into a million pieces, hurts me. And it should hurt you, too. There is no excuse for this. None. These graphics for a 2014, are unacceptable. This is the 4th INSTALLMENT TO THIS FRANCHISE...the FOURTH ONE! FOURTH! How is it, that the ORIGINAL game had more things in it, than this game?! How is it that TS2, a game that is a DECADE old, still has smarter sims, cars (with animations), pools, toddlers, ghosts, and riveting gameplay, than this game? HOW?! How is TS3, a game that is 5 years old, as well as outdated, have an open, seamless world, with GORGEOUS graphics? How is it that each and every one of this game's predecessors have something TS4 doesn't have? It is truly mind boggling.

Just see for yourself! This is beautiful, and awesome!

And this is just pitiful, and downright embarrassing, compared to TS3. This looks like MySims!

To me, this doesn't even look like a game that belongs in this franchise. EA has disappointed me before, but never like this. I cannot believe that THIS is going to associated with the classic original, the iconic TS2, and the beautiful TS3. I refuse to consider this part of the franchise. This is the last straw for me. I really think I'm done with EA, as of right now. Once again, my expectations are shattered. Smh... :(

At this point, I wouldn't touch this mess with a ten foot pole. This is just shameful. And this will never be a Sims game, in my eyes. You can call it The Sims all you want, but it will never be The Sims.

I agree with EVERY sentence. Great post.
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited August 2014
    :thumbup: preach
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    edited August 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    What also bothers me is the people hellbent on defending EA. Those are the worst types of fans IMO. The people that see nothing bad about what EA is doing, and the people that don't see how EA is playing them like a fiddle.

It's just frustrating to watch.

What also bothers me is that there are people hellbent on destroying EA. Those are also the worst types of fans IMO. The people that see nothing good about what EA is doing.

It is always the extremes on both sides that ruin it for those that sit in the middle.

But your post is spot on, I agree with about 80-90% of it.
  • Options
    xtinagaga97xtinagaga97 Posts: 600 Member
    edited August 2014
    People can't even call this mess of a game The Sims 2.5, because well in fact, TS2 is miles ahead of this game. This is more like TS 1.5 The amount of content they took out is OUTRAGEOUS! There is NO excuse to take out EVERY SINGLE THING that TS3 revolutionized. They legitimately took out over 50 features, not to mention how the "gurus" confirm features and then now a month before the game are like "nah, they actually won't be in the game after all." And all this no comment business is ridiculous, I mean we knew NOTHING about this game until a month ago. This game is so lazily put together it makes me sick. What sickens me even more is that this abomination has The Sims logo on it. New player will never know the greatness of the first 2 entries of the series. The little things that made the game special like when a parent sim comes home from work, the child runs out to hug them. I really want to like this game, I was so excited for it, but I think this is just an example of how EA is grabbing at our wallets constantly. I really think Maxis should not have made this game (they failed miserably with SimCity). (Anyone else see the resemblance between this and SC 2013?) This is not the same Maxis led by Will Wright that made the earlier games so magnificent. The Sims 5 needs a new development team.
    *I tried my best to be respectful, but I really don't think EA respects us, so why should we respect them?
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    Well, Kirby I agree with that map looking thing. Cheap looking isn't even the word I want to use.

But think on this awhile, if you never get the game, you can't register and go over to the actual TS4 forums (wherever they are) and tell EA what you really think. :P There's always a discount bin somewhere.

And you could use the registration to help influence what comes next, but if you aren't on a forum to preach to EA, then it's kind of like voting, if you don't vote, don't complain. If you do vote, complain away because they need to know what long time Simmers really don't like about this version. Some love it, some don't but surely the long time Simmer can see by this map view it's more of a tablet game than ever a PC game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2014
    People can't even call this mess of a game The Sims 2.5, because well in fact, TS2 is miles ahead of this game. This is more like TS 1.5 The amount of content they took out is OUTRAGEOUS! There is NO excuse to take out EVERY SINGLE THING that TS3 revolutionized. They legitimately took out over 50 features, not to mention how the "gurus" confirm features and then now a month before the game are like "nah, they actually won't be in the game after all." And all this no comment business is ridiculous, I mean we knew NOTHING about this game until a month ago. This game is so lazily put together it makes me sick. What sickens me even more is that this abomination has The Sims logo on it. New player will never know the greatness of the first 2 entries of the series. The little things that made the game special like when a parent sim comes home from work, the child runs out to hug them. I really want to like this game, I was so excited for it, but I think this is just an example of how EA is grabbing at our wallets constantly. I really think Maxis should not have made this game (they failed miserably with SimCity). (Anyone else see the resemblance between this and SC 2013?) This is not the same Maxis led by Will Wright that made the earlier games so magnificent. The Sims 5 needs a new development team.
    *I tried my best to be respectful, but I really don't think EA respects us, so why should we respect them?

Or the old sims development team. I wish Will Wright never stopped working on the sims. ;_;
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited August 2014
    It is a sad day, Kirby.

I was getting back on the fence but I can not buy this game.

I would like to think it will get better but this is a mess, a pure mess.

How can people like this ripoff?

A sad day indeed.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited August 2014
    Well, I don't feel the same as the op; I'm actually looking forward to this game and I don't believe they have stooped low at all. On the contrary, I believe this game has tremendous potential for the future.

I just read this as sims resource and it sounds extremely encouraging to me: http://www.thesimsresource.com/news/view-post/post/26795/2014 Sims Creators Camp Part 1
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2014

Agreed.

I think the saddest part is that you can tell when Will Wright stopped working on the sims. He put so much life into the game, and you can clearly see that life sucked right out in TS3. And now in TS4!

I truly wonder what Will Wright is thinking right now.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited August 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    I truly wonder what Will Wright is thinking right now.
    He wouldn't be allowed to tell you due to some clause in his contract with EA.

As for me, I was so hopeful for what Sims 4 could have been. But seeing the reality of it, I'm very confused. I'm still planning on getting it to check it out for myself, but I definitely won't be uninstalling Sims 2 nor Sims 3 from my pc.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited August 2014
    Looking back on old Sims1 official EA trailers that advertise 150 or 100 NEW ITEMS in each EP and then look at the EPs for Sims3 its not even close. They throw in a few items but keep the majority for the store! So Kirby is 100% correct!

And yes it looks like MySims...not even Sims1, that had better graphics and view imho

I have played since 2000 and the very first Sims1 game.
    I am not mad, but sad.
    Sad at what could have been, but messed up big time.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited August 2014
    Very well said, Kirby.

And for those wondering why Eaxis is doing this-Because it has worked for them so far. Why would they stop?

People (and corporation decision makers are people, even if corporations themselves are not) will not stopping what works for them as long as we let it keep working.

That's why I think it is important we critics both keep up the pressure, and do NOT buy the pared down game we're being offered for a premium price.

It is possible the game is going to be innovative in gameplay. I'm seeing some possibilities in the gameplay videos so far.

But EAxis will continue milking the Sims fans as long as it keeps working for them.

I want it to stop working.
    Not to destroy a company, and the jobs that would go away if it did, but to wake up those decision makers to the importance of providing value for our money.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited August 2014
    This is not the world map. This is the map of one neighborhood. What you will see when entering the game the whole world like Sims 3, when you click on a neighborhood you get that map. We still have not seen the full thing
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Cendres13Cendres13 Posts: 258 Member
    edited August 2014
    I want to play a Sims game that has Sims 3 graphics with Sims 2 guts and soul. That's what we want, that's not what Sims 4 is. Thanks for putting it into words.

To the poster above me, that's what I thought originally but I was corrected, look at it again. :(
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sucom wrote:
    Well, I don't feel the same as the op; I'm actually looking forward to this game and I don't believe they have stooped low at all. On the contrary, I believe this game has tremendous potential for the future.

I just read this as sims resource and it sounds extremely encouraging to me: http://www.thesimsresource.com/news/view-post/post/26795/2014 Sims Creators Camp Part 1

:shock: Did you read that?
    They can lay a foundation for say, toddlers, but it’s some very complicated coding this time around to get it to work. Leaving off the toddlers in base game was a decision that was not made lightly. So why was the decision made? The added features to the Sims themselves is a complicated web of design. Toddlers will have to have their own interactions separate from the Adult Sims to make it believable.

So a game that is supposed to be an improvement, to be better than Sims3 REMOVES a core element of the game...and that's ok? Heck, I don't even play toddlers in my game so I am NOT a toddler-fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but seriously, this makes ZERO SENSE

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited August 2014
    OP I agree with everything you said about TS2 and TS3. You said exact the way I feel. Thats why Istill play TS2 and when I dont play it for a day I miss it terribly. As for Sims 4 I cant say anything yet until I play it and see for myself. There are things I like and things I dislike, but I will say my honest opinion once I get my hands on it. I was very disappointed with Sims 3. There things i love about Sims 3 like the vibrant colors of the world and collectible items, but gameplay Sims 2 seems to be best.

Sims 4 will either be a hit or flop. It cannot make it in the middle like Sims 3
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited August 2014
    Zolt65 wrote:
    Sucom wrote:

They can lay a foundation for say, toddlers, but it’s some very complicated coding this time around to get it to work. Leaving off the toddlers in base game was a decision that was not made lightly. So why was the decision made? The added features to the Sims themselves is a complicated web of design. Toddlers will have to have their own interactions separate from the Adult Sims to make it believable.

So a game that is supposed to be an improvement, to be better than Sims3 REMOVES a core element of the game...and that's ok? Heck, I don't even play toddlers in my game so I am NOT a toddler-fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but seriously, this makes ZERO SENSE

They have said that they are rebuilding the sims back up on a totally new foundation. What can possibly be wrong with that?

You see, I haven't played the sims from the beginning; I came in at sims 3 so I don't have this need to look at what might be missing from all those years ago. From my point of view, they are rebuilding it so that it provides a firm base for the FUTURE that will have more potential and possibilities than it does now. I'm not bothered by what might be 'missing' from sims games from years ago. I'm happy to start anew on a different foundation.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited August 2014
    Zolt65 wrote:
    Sucom wrote:

They are holding them hostage!! :cry::cry: In a article from Gamerevolution they said they were playing and taking care of toddlers was in the tutorials of the game...with pictures!! Though he didn't post any..probley wasn't allowed to take them. :cry::cry::cry: GO TO HELL EA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I forgot to put in the friggin link..

http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/the-sims-4/100767
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited August 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    if you never get the game, you can't register and go over to the actual TS4 forums
    Huh? I have already successfully logged in there with my EA account.
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/show/257.page
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    LucusSimmsLucusSimms Posts: 108 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm sick of EA and its ways: First Spores turned out to be a huge dud, then ME3 comes out and the whole ending pushed me to question the merit of owning games in the first place, then I hear the Simcity horror stories circulating around Amazon, and now this?!?

:x

Both The Sims and Simcity franchises are the Brain Child of Will Wright! To see how watered down TS4 is makes me sick! They have four weeks before the deadline and I seriously doubt they'll tell us anything else at this point. I don't want to see this go down in flames, but I cannot support this sort of business practice anymore.

Such a sad thing indeed. :(
    "Knowledge is Power."
    "Walk softly and carry a big gun."
    "Never Compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
  • Options
    Cendres13Cendres13 Posts: 258 Member
    edited August 2014
    JULES1111 wrote:
    They are holding them hostage!! :cry::cry: In a article from Gamerevolution they said they were playing and taking care of toddlers was in the tutorials of the game...with pictures!! Though he didn't post any..probley wasn't allowed to take them. :cry::cry::cry: GO TO HELL EA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's actually the first bit of good news I've seen so far. Probably means toddlers will make an appearance shortly.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited August 2014
    Cendres13 wrote:
    JULES1111 wrote:

That's actually the first bit of good news I've seen so far. Probably means toddlers will make an appearance shortly.

It means they probley left them out to sell them :evil: