Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Investigation Started After EA Caught Spying Via Origin Client

EA are really going all out this year to make as many people hate them as possible. Have a read folks.

http://www.eteknix.com/investigation-started-after-ea-caught-spying-via-origin-client/

Comments

• Options
    albaniealbanie Posts: 584 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hm. I'm not sure what to think of that :?
    You never forget the face of the person who was your last hope - The Hunger Games.
    Banana! - Minions
  • Options
    DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited July 2014
    Why...
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    EA are really going all out this year to make as many people hate them as possible. Have a read folks.

http://www.eteknix.com/investigation-started-after-ea-caught-spying-via-origin-client/

Why is anyone surprised by this? EA has been doing these things for years. They want the Origin application to be as robust and your search engine eventually just like Big Brother Google. It has never been limited to your game but what you are running and doing on your PC all day long or next year. People willing give away their privacy with Google and YouTube owned by Google daily. NSA has nothing on Google. Google knows the last time you went to the bathroom. Literally. And EA has been trying to get that invasive for years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited July 2014
    Nothing new, most things spy on you these days
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited July 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    Nothing new, most things spy on you these days

Still unacceptable. I limit my usage of some software for this very reason.
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited July 2014
    Just when I thought EA couldn't go any lower!
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2014
    I get the slightest feeling that this forum will be moved or locked.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hmm I wonder could this be the reason I have no DEMO?? I may look further into this because I am very upset already :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've suspected it for a long time, which is why I refuse to have Origin on my computer. Saying "everyone does it" is no excuse. Some of you people really will stand for anything from EA, won't you?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    I've suspected it for a long time, which is why I refuse to have Origin on my computer. Saying "everyone does it" is no excuse. Some of you people really will stand for anything from EA, won't you?

No, I am totally against this stuff. But EA has been doing this sort of stuff for years with their malware which they swear isn't malware. So does Google though many don't care if Google knows the last time they picked their noses. That's a joke but almost a fact, Google Chrome is a lovely little malware piece of work. SecuRom in EA's games have been delving into what a person has in their PCs for years and is considered by most gamers Malware, even some anti-virus programs but people had no problem (some/to most) not caring about that either. ETA: SecuRom equals Root Kit.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited July 2014
    EA needs new PR what with this spying and Charlie, they need to re-look at that. However, that said we are spied on all the time, that's why there are so many hackers out there who steal our information, we just have to be careful.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jimmysnan wrote:
    EA needs new PR what with this spying and Charlie, they need to re-look at that. However, that said we are spied on all the time, that's why there are so many hackers out there who steal our information, we just have to be careful.

:wink: It's one thing to be careful, it's another to give the key to the house and say, oh, I'm not going to be home, just go on in.. :P
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Stdlr9 wrote:

No, I am totally against this stuff. But EA has been doing this sort of stuff for years with their malware which they swear isn't malware. So does Google though many don't care if Google knows the last time they picked their noses. That's a joke but almost a fact, Google Chrome is a lovely little malware piece of work. SecuRom in EA's games have been delving into what a person has in their PCs for years and is considered by most gamers Malware, even some anti-virus programs but people had no problem (some/to most) not caring about that either. ETA: SecuRom equals Root Kit.

Cinebar, I wasn't talking about you; I was talking about the fans who will accept any product/excuse/lie/spying from EA and come back slobbering for more.

At any rate, SecuROM was an unmitigated disaster for EA. They were taken to court over it in a class-action lawsuit.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't log into anything personal on my computer, I use my phone for that-- I only play games here. I actually have never hated anything more then EA. So sad they are the publishers for my favourite gaming franchise.. Dragon Age, Mass Effect and TS2/3.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    Cinebar wrote:
    Stdlr9 wrote:

Cinebar, I wasn't talking about you; I was talking about the fans who will accept any product/excuse/lie/spying from EA and come back slobbering for more.

At any rate, SecuROM was an unmitigated disaster for EA. They were taken to court over it in a class-action lawsuit.

Yes, I know about the law suit. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited July 2014
    *reads article, shakes head, hates EA a little more than before* :evil:
  • Options
    DemyanoSlavDemyanoSlav Posts: 581 Member
    edited July 2014
    This doesn't surprise me at all. And then you'll read an article about Steam doing the same thing. And I haven't really read EA's response to the claims, so I can't really judge either way until I know exactly why they did it. I certainly won't be like that silly girl who commented on the website two hours ago and uninstall it without ever buying another EA product. I intend to play Sims 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I've nothing to hide. Just another day for me.
  • Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone know if this has any implications for sims4? I think you have to be online briefly on origin during the first install but not after so if you're concerned about snooping its possible to play mostly without origin?
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited July 2014

I did not see anything that sugggested spying. I saw the codes to an assist program, which some softwares have. If you don't like a service running in the background, even one that helps to stablize the game, you have the option to stop the service.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Claire17 wrote:
    Does anyone know if this has any implications for sims4? I think you have to be online briefly on origin during the first install but not after so if you're concerned about snooping its possible to play mostly without origin?

This is a really good question and one I asked last year. Some explained to me all EA games require Origin now, and you must log in to the application to play all their games. I have no idea really since my TS3 base and a few EPs were bought before Origin was required for all their DVD versions. So, I can just use the icon on my desktop even if I install later EPs. I never have to open Origin. However, Crinrict explained in that thread since 2011? you have to log into Origin, no matter if online or offline in EA's games. That would mean Origin (to me) somehow phones home to EA even if you are not online and would do this in the background when you do go online.

SecuRom certainly could do that, too.

ETA: I mean it seems it can phone home later when you go online for anything else, such as SecuRom did. Or like your antivirus does to update though the programs aren't open. They dial out as soon as they ping an online connection.
  • Options
    EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited July 2014
    Very scary. Slowly corporations are taking over the whole world - Tyrell Corporation anyone?

Not that I have anything to hide, but I like my privacy. I sure am glad that Origin isn't on my desktop yet - it will remain that way until I get my demo!!
  • Options
    littlebrightpandalittlebrightpanda Posts: 96 New Member
    edited July 2014
    http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/no-ea-isnt-spying-on-you-with-origin-probably/

Article using the same data, interpreting it differently and adding some more information.

http://www.toptiertactics.com/9319/origins-of-misunderstanding-is-eas-storefront-so-evil/

http://reddoorbluekey.com/pc-news/gabe-newell-addresses-steam-spyware-accusations/

Seriously, if you compare Origins Eula terms and Steam's, they are pretty much the same. Both are not sending the data anywhere, at least if you go after Gabe Newell (founder of Valve). So they are scanning without sending. I don't see the point of that, but it might be a necessity for these types of programs (anybody know something of Uplay and GOG?).

You always have a risk with these types of programs, as they continually update and change the Eula terms, so it's good to be careful. With both Steam and Origin.

• Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited July 2014
    This doesn't surprise me at all. And then you'll read an article about Steam doing the same thing. And I haven't really read EA's response to the claims, so I can't really judge either way until I know exactly why they did it. I certainly won't be like that silly girl who commented on the website two hours ago and uninstall it without ever buying another EA product. I intend to play Sims 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I've nothing to hide. Just another day for me.

She's not silly. Some people value their privacy and aren't comfortable with having a company spy on their computer. Heck, I'm not even comfortable with my own family looking. Origin sucks anyway.
  • Options
    ThoddyEAThoddyEA Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2014
    There is nothing about spying. Ran that tool on my rig and cannot find any prove.
    Another drama-queen attempt.
    This poster is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2014
    I hope you are not naïve enough to think that you were out here alone.
    You have never been. It is a fact that somewhere along the internet super highway you are being tracked.