Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where is The Sims 4 in the Sims "universe"

First, we need to figure out where each game is on the Sims Universe timeline. We can use Bella Goth to measure the time passed between each game.

The Sims
The Sims 3
The Sims 2

Bella is a child in the Sims, and if I remember correctly, she's close to aging up to teen in The Sims 3. She's a full grown adult in The Sims 2, so that's what the timeline looks like.

SimGuruRyan created Bella in TS4 Create a Sim as an adult, so it's possible that the timeline should look something like this:

The Sims
The Sims 3
The Sims 4
The Sims 2

Bella is missing in the Sims 2, and she makes an appearance in the Sims 4, so the Sims 4 has to come after 3 but before 2 (if that makes any sense).

Please correct me if I'm wrong :oops:

Edit: Looks like TS4 isn't in the same universe as the rest?

Comments

• Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sims 4 takes place in a alternate timeline
  • Options
    bearfan73bearfan73 Posts: 34 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

Really? Do you have a source for that, because if so - why are Bella and Mortimer Goth in the game? :shock:
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2014
    bearfan73 wrote:
    Celiria wrote:

Really? Do you have a source for that, because if so - why are Bella and Mortimer Goth in the game? :shock:

alternate timeline not reality. Basically it allows the devs to have fan favorite families without having to rely on past events.

• Options
    medivialprincessmedivialprincess Posts: 774 Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't have a source on hand. But I want to say it was in an interview...its been awhile. but I remember grant or graham said it was an alternate time line so they could have more returning families and make it believable. :mrgreen: I just remember that part correctly.

ps. Think of it as the sims universe as we know it is a big bubble with a tiny bubble sticking to it and that is the sims 4 universe. Its nothing like that. ( Doctor Who fans might get that joke. :wink: )
    tumblr_m4hniaS8fX1r3l7cvo1_500.gif
  • Options
    COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's actually..
    The Sims 3
    The Sims
    The Sims 2

If it was to take in the same timeline it would possibly be..
    The Sims 3
    The Sims 4
    The Sims
    The Sims2

Presumably.. :?
  • Options
    bearfan73bearfan73 Posts: 34 New Member
    edited June 2014
    It's actually..
    The Sims 3
    The Sims
    The Sims 2

If it was to take in the same timeline it would possibly be..
    The Sims 3
    The Sims 4
    The Sims
    The Sims2

Presumably.. :?

The Sims 4 would have to be AFTER The Sims and The Sims 3 because Bella was portrayed as an adult in it (assuming its in the same universe at all), but before The Sims 2 because she obviously wasn't abducted by aliens (that we know of :shock: ).

Once again, assuming it's the same universe.
  • Options
    OmfgTabithaOmfgTabitha Posts: 67
    edited June 2014
    This post is interesting.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2014
    Graham also said it at one of the E3 interviews that was actually show on Spike TV that it was an alternate Universe - so actually just a few of the sims will be in game but we will find many other favorites in the Sims 4 cemetery. Graham did not say at that interview, but on another he mention Don Lothario and the Calienti sisters might also be seen in the game. No details so I don't know where other than they aren't a member of the dead.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited June 2014
    The Sims 3 (Mortimer & Bella are children)
    The Sims 4 (Mortimer & Bella are young adults and married)
    The Sims (Mortimer & Bella have Cassandra)
    The Sims 2 (Mortimer & Bella have Cassandra and Alexander; Bella disappears)
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    Ugh, that is just lazy. It's the out of any bad writer. "Uhhhh....and then he woke up and IT HAD ALL BEEN A DREAM!!!!" It's called "deus ex machina" and they should be embarrassed.

They wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out -- or didn't want to take the time -- to write their way out. Except they weren't actually in a corner, they were in a wide open pasture and it was still too difficult.

There is no aspect of this game that appears to have time and thought lavished onto it other than the googly-eyed Pixar pratfalls of these spastic, overwrought sims.

Okay, so I'm missing Will Wright and it's making me bitter. :?
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    Ugh, that is just lazy. It's the out of any bad writer. "Uhhhh....and then he woke up and IT HAD ALL BEEN A DREAM!!!!" It's called "deus ex machina" and they should be embarrassed.

They wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out -- or didn't want to take the time -- to write their way out. Except they weren't actually in a corner, they were in a wide open pasture and it was still too difficult.

There is no aspect of this game that appears to have time and thought lavished onto it other than the googly-eyed Pixar pratfalls of these spastic, overwrought sims.

Okay, so I'm missing Will Wright and it's making me bitter. :?

Was Will Wright working just in TS1/TS2 and then he left in TS3? If so, all this Timeline nonsense that got started in TS3 already has an explanation now. The Developers that took place after his withdrawal are messing with the game's timeline.

Aside from that, the 'Alternate Timeline' is one of TS4's many cons in my list. Sincerely. It just show how lazy EA and their workers are now. They are unable to continue the Stories from TS2.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    IcySlash wrote:
    Was Will Wright working just in TS1/TS2 and then he left in TS3?

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went.
    If so, all this Timeline nonsense that got started in TS3 already has an explanation now. The Developers that took place after his withdrawal are messing with the game's timeline.

Yeah, they did try their best, to be fair. But really, how hard was it? Their bigger problem to explain was the advanced technology Sims 3 sims had, not which families were doing what where.
    Aside from that, the 'Alternate Timeline' is one of TS4's many cons in my list. Sincerely. It just show how lazy EA and their workers are now. They are unable to continue the Stories from TS2.

Just when I think I've heard something to make my head explode, I hear something else. I've reached my deal-breaker, like, five times now, lol. :P And they're not done yet! I'm sure there is more to come! lol