Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No - I truly do hope this game flops.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited June 2014
    I hope it flops because then maybe another company *cough*Rockstar*cough* will step in and make a proper competitor to it. That's the problem, EA has no competition for this game when they are in desperate need of it.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    I hope it flops because then maybe another company *cough*Rockstar*cough* will step in and make a proper competitor to it. That's the problem, EA has no competition for this game when they are in desperate need of it.

This. :mrgreen:
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2014
    Taranatar9 wrote:
    On the other hand, if TS4 is successful, they have no motive to do better next time.
    This is what I'm afraid of. They'll say "Eh. People are still buying it, so why should we bother to improve it?"
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    sims 3 was awful and that game didn't flop...............

No, it didn't flop because EA/Maxis already got the money it needed just like they did with SimCity. What is damaging is when a Guru stated that the open world was a mistake after all has been said and done because it gets me thinking about Sims 4, what problems will there be in Sims 4. I do not think Sims 3 was all that awful it just lacked the goofiness and interactions that was in Sims 2 and some of the EPs was not thought out well enough. Sims 2 had it's moments as well and was not without problems because a lot of people cried about bugs every time a EP was released but overall it was still fun with the exception of loading screens. Now EA/Maxis got this 30 day money back guarantee if do like the game, you can get your money back and that probably pertains to digital only.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    The trouble is though, if a game flops then a developer can take it one of two ways.

1. They can acknowledge that something went very, very wrong and look into what they did and improve it.

2. They could become arrogant and go into denial, refuse to accept that the game itself was bad and simply decide that there is no longer a demand for that particular game.

The former produces a much better sequel that corrects the mistakes that made the previous game perform so poorly, the latter spells the end of the series.
    and even the most clueless of simmers---who were living under a rock all this time---realize #1 is an impossible reality since EA exists :lol:
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited June 2014
    ActiVision is better at copy & pasting than EA.

EA, at least, gives us new stuff and all that unlike ActiVision. They only have improved graphics and rename items.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't know, I don't want it to flop because I don't want it to be the end of the sims. I don't want to see this franchise fall apart, and I doubt they'll just improve the game they'll just drop it because it stopped making money and find something else to focus on. But I really want them to see just how many people they've upset in case they do actually decide to just improve it and fix what they messed up in the eyes of so many. Really I just wish they'd fix it before it flops.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited June 2014

Yes, yes, yes.

If Rockstar made a life simulation, it would blow EA's out of the water! It would be stellar. How about we all say a quick prayer, in hopes that TS4 flops, causing Rockstar to magically start making a life simulation.

I don't think you understand how much I want Rockstar to venture into life simulation. I've wanted it for years.
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014
    EA will NEVER give their biggest money maker to anyone other then will wright (if that was part of their agreement but who knows whats in that) but I can see *the sims* belonging to Rockstar..Not really but can you personally picture it? It makes me wonder what the so called *complainers* are REALLY wanting from the sims franchise. it surely isnt just to have the lack replaced but they clearly want a game thats rated M for mature with bloody violence and to have an online function (since GTA V is being thrown in there as well) but then it wouldnt be the sims but GTA V.

so if thats the way its going to be,if the *sims* has to be turned into THAT,best to just end the sims franchise all together.
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    I also really, really hope this game suffers in financial crisis or something. EA won't stop the Sims series people, they'll reevaluate what they are doing wrong and create the game MADE for players where they take into account player feedback and suggestions.
  • Options
    HaucusuchusHaucusuchus Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    I think you guys aren't giving EA enough credit. They did indeed learn from the Simcity fiasco afterall; not only did they give that game an offline mode, we can thank that debacle for Sims 4 being offline. I believe the reason Sims 4 is currently so limited in scope is that EA was unwilling to scrap all the work and funding that was already done and start over and instead invested in converting the former MMO into a single player game. I think EA could indeed learn from a Sims 4 flop or even lesser than expected sales.
    If they learned they would have scrapped the game, not rerouted the older online features into nothing and continued with the same architectural framework as the former online game.

And completely waste 3-4 years or work and untold millions of $ as well as delay one of their star franchises by another 2-4 years? EA is rich enough to take that hit certainly but it would still make for a very poor business decision.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone seems to think Rockstar is best equipped to make a sims rival game. The GTA series has very simplistic AI compared to the Sims and limited interaction with NPCs. Not to mention any Sim type game they would make would be console-focused and designed around a controller.
  • Options
    AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Benz0s

If it bombs, chances are there simply won't be another Sims game. I'll say the same thing I said to someone else who wished for the Sims 4 to fail. Don't like it, don't buy, but don't expect to get anything better. EA is only going to make a Sims 5 if the Sims 4 is successful. They'll have no motivation to do so.
    Whats the point of buying it just to keep the franchise alive then?
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited June 2014
    colton147 wrote:
    ActiVision is better at copy & pasting than EA.

EA, at least, gives us new stuff and all that unlike ActiVision. They only have improved graphics and rename items.

FIFA and Madden would like a word with you ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    The trouble is though, if a game flops then a developer can take it one of two ways.

1. They can acknowledge that something went very, very wrong and look into what they did and improve it.

2. They could become arrogant and go into denial, refuse to accept that the game itself was bad and simply decide that there is no longer a demand for that particular game.

The former produces a much better sequel that corrects the mistakes that made the previous game perform so poorly, the latter spells the end of the series.
    and even the most clueless of simmers---who were living under a rock all this time---realize #1 is an impossible reality since EA exists :lol:

Which is why I said "a developer" ;)
    EA will probably bury their heads in the sand and play out option 2 to a tee.
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited June 2014
    Have to laugh at the people worried along the lines of...
    "oh no, don't criticise it buy it and tell them its wonderful or they may not deign to let us pay them more money for nothing aka #5"
    Huh? If its as woefully inadequate as #4 is shaping up to be where is the loss here, its a win/win to me. The franchise is better off dead than getting any worse.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Badmagic wrote:
    Have to laugh at the people worried along the lines of...
    "oh no, don't criticise it buy it and tell them its wonderful or they may not deign to let us pay them more money for nothing aka #5"
    Huh? If its as woefully inadequate as #4 is shaping up to be where is the loss here, its a win/win to me. The franchise is better off dead than getting any worse.

There's always a chance that a franchise could get better though. This is entirely my opinion here but look at Tomb Raider for example; at one time it was the only game of it's genre out there and it was repeatedly successful. People weren't thrilled about Tomb Raider: Chronicles because that was a blatant cash grab and at that point the game was becoming very, very dated but they rolled with it all the same because it was Tomb Raider and they knew the next generation was coming. Then Angel of Darkness came out. That game performed so badly that it was taken away from the current developers and given to somebody else to work on instead.

Now I never cared much for the Crystal Dynamics era. The gameplay was alright but by the time Anniversary came out it still always fell quite short of what had become the new standard by that point (i.e. Uncharted, which amusingly in itself was accused of ripping off from Tomb Raider). After Underworld came out being more of the same people once again thought the franchise was dead and buried. Then Square Enix got involved. We got arguably one of the best Tomb Raider games we've had in years (yes, including that awful repetitive storyline) and we're now getting a sequel.

A series that nearly had the final nail hammered into it's coffin twice is still having games produced for it - and they're GOOD games.

It is entirely possible for a bad sequel to spawn a better sequel in years to come. However in most cases developers / big gaming companies don't think along those lines and rather than pinning the blame on their poor choices they instead act as though fans are no longer interested in that kind of game and kill the series.

Edit: I use Tomb Raider as the example here for a few reasons. The first being that I have next to no experience with either Sonic or Mario and so I can't fully comment on the state of those games beyond what I've heard about them. The second being that, unlike Lara Croft, both Sonic and Mario have the protection of being their developer's mascots. You can't kill off a mascot as easily as you can kill off another character. Mascots practically have immunity (unless owned by a stupid developer like Capcom). Lara Croft lost her mascot status after the Playstation 1 era.
  • Options
    SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited June 2014
    :lol: I do too! :evil:
    Something has got to be done to let them know we are tired of the same stuff. When I found out it was going to be all sunny days once again & I would have to wait... years?... for rain, I was done. :roll: I've been there, done that. It's old.
    The new pictures are of the sims doing the same stuff they have been doing for the last 14 years! Like the old lady working on something with a screwdriver and she gets shocked and falls on the floor! My goodness, how many times have we seen that? Sure the graphics are a little better, but IT'S THE SAME GAME! Same stuff over and over and over and now over again!

My thoughts exactly! Thank you for stating this! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Excpet its EA we are talking about, a few years down the line...

Dev1: Can't believe some of the crap they let us get away with last time around.
    Dev2: I know right? What can we get away with this time?
    Dev1: Young Adult stage only?
    Dev3: Isn't that essentially what we did in #4 anyway?
    Dev2: Yup but we don't even have to fudge the UI and copy paste it this time.
    Dev3: You have a point, that will save us 10 minutes but its not enough on its own.
    Dev1: I know, instead of simoleons make it real cash attached to a real account.
    Dev2: So you mean when they pay for anything like 'bills' we actually get their real money?
    Dev1: Come on, not even our community is that thick.
    Dev2: Remember CASt, remember Pools, Remember Toddlers, Remember terrain etc.
    *an hour later*
    Dev1: So its decided then, the sims 5 consists of a miniature cardboard cut-out of a random young adult sim in the retail boxes and a printable jpeg for the digital distribution.
    Dev2: With additional printouts at $80 each on the store.
    Dev3: Wait, $80?
    Dev2: Yes yes, $80 for yanks, at least $120 for everyone else.
    Dev3: Phew.
    Dev1: Right, good to go, lest announce this excrement and see them rejoice.

*6 months of outrage in the media*

*6 months further record profits announced*
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Badmagic wrote:
    Excpet its EA we are talking about, a few years down the line...

Dev1: Can't believe some of the crap they let us get away with last time around.
    Dev2: I know right? What can we get away with this time?
    Dev1: Young Adult stage only?
    Dev3: Isn't that essentially what we did in #4 anyway?
    Dev2: Yup but we don't even have to fudge the UI and copy paste it this time.
    Dev3: You have a point, that will save us 10 minutes but its not enough on its own.
    Dev1: I know, instead of simoleons make it real cash attached to a real account.
    Dev2: So you mean when they pay for anything like 'bills' we actually get their real money?
    Dev1: Come on, not even our community is that thick.
    Dev2: Remember CASt, remember Pools, Remember Toddlers, Remember terrain etc.
    *an hour later*
    Dev1: So its decided then, the sims 5 consists of a miniature cardboard cut-out of a random young adult sim in the retail boxes and a printable jpeg for the digital distribution.
    Dev2: With additional printouts at $80 each on the store.
    Dev3: Wait, $80?
    Dev2: Yes yes, $80 for yanks, at least $120 for everyone else.
    Dev3: Phew.
    Dev1: Right, good to go, lest announce this excrement and see them rejoice.

*6 months of outrage in the media*

*6 months further record profits announced*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-🐸🐸🐸🐸

:D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    Its such a horrible shame you can only 'like' something once on youtube.

edit~ The saddest part being, it was made years ago but still accurately applies.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited June 2014
    i do not fine this video funny its not funny at all and i am pretty sure the sims4 will be a great game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Memina11 wrote:
    i do not fine this video funny its not funny at all and i am pretty sure the sims4 will be a great game

Why am I not surprised?
    Lighten up a bit eh? The video isn't meant to be taken 100% seriously.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2014
    Badmagic wrote:
    Darkslayer wrote:
    Its such a horrible shame you can only 'like' something once on youtube.

edit~ The saddest part being, it was made years ago but still accurately applies.

Haha. Take a close look at 4:15. Seems especially fitting right now. :lol:
    IHJCfa6.jpg