Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No - I truly do hope this game flops.

Not for the sake of ending the Sims series, but for the sake of actually improving it.

EA has been recycling the same EPs and SPs for TS series for 14 years now, it's due time for an overhaul.
Not only that, but they've been doing it for SimCity, NASCAR series, SSX, Skate, and a whole bunch of their titles.

They simply release the same game with slightly improved graphics and a new interaction or two, but they go on to include the same items and same things.
Yet, people continue to reward them for it.
If TS4 bombs, at least they'll notice that one of their most profitable franchises will not feed into their frenzy.

I mean, new routing? That's a selling point? That should be an improvement offered in TS3, when routing technology and engines were booming that led to modern games like GTA V.

Emotions? New reactions are also a major selling point? They overhauled animations and suddenly it's a new game?

The fact that people have spent over $2000 in the series and rewarded them to remove features included in the base game is crazy.
Let's not forget the half-completed BioWare game with offered DLC and the fact that EA is in trouble with England's version of the FTC for the Dungeon Keeper microtransactions that rendered the game useless for months

The Sims Studio should have been the main producer, with Maxis on the side
At least with them we got CASt, Open-world, and lots of community/sim interactions

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2014
    So do you play and enjoy TS3? If you do how would you feel if people started wishing that the game would crash and become unplayable? Oh wait...that does happen to some people.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited June 2014
    Benz0s

If it bombs, chances are there simply won't be another Sims game. I'll say the same thing I said to someone else who wished for the Sims 4 to fail. Don't like it, don't buy, but don't expect to get anything better. EA is only going to make a Sims 5 if the Sims 4 is successful. They'll have no motivation to do so.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited June 2014
    The trouble is though, if a game flops then a developer can take it one of two ways.

1. They can acknowledge that something went very, very wrong and look into what they did and improve it.

2. They could become arrogant and go into denial, refuse to accept that the game itself was bad and simply decide that there is no longer a demand for that particular game.

The former produces a much better sequel that corrects the mistakes that made the previous game perform so poorly, the latter spells the end of the series.
  • Options
    benz0sbenz0s Posts: 271 Member
    edited June 2014
    So do you play and enjoy TS3? If you do how would you feel if people started wishing that the game would crash and become unplayable? Oh wait...that does happen to some people.
    The terrible coding done by the studio is not really as relevant as the regurgitation done by EA to take money from Simmers.
  • Options
    KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    edited June 2014

And as we all know, that will never happen with The Sims 4.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Benz0s

If it bombs, chances are there simply won't be another Sims game.

HAHAHA.

Right. Like there was never another Tomb Raider, Sonic, Mario, Street Fighter, etc...

And The Sim City Societies was the last Sim City EVER!

One flop would'nt forever kill a game that has shipped 175 million units.

They'd just reboot it. Better.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    The trouble is though, if a game flops then a developer can take it one of two ways.

1. They can acknowledge that something went very, very wrong and look into what they did and improve it.

2. They could become arrogant and go into denial, refuse to accept that the game itself was bad and simply decide that there is no longer a demand for that particular game.

The former produces a much better sequel that corrects the mistakes that made the previous game perform so poorly, the latter spells the end of the series.
    Either is good.
    Either fix your mistakes, if the option ends up being the first.
    Or discontinue your game and license and allow other studios and gaming companies take over and actual improve the games, like Rockstar.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Benz0s

HAHAHA.

Right. Like there was never another Tomb Raider, Sonic, Mario, Street Fighter, etc...

EA looking to get money?
    No way
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Benz0s

HAHAHA.

Possible, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited June 2014
    EA has been recycling the same EPs and SPs for TS series for 14 years now, it's due time for an overhaul.

But isn't that what Sims 4 is getting? A complete overhaul?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Benz0s

HAHAHA.

Mario is one of Nintendo's flagship franchises. He is their icon, their mascot. He's in a whole other league to most games.

It's a similar scenario with Sonic although his games have fared worse. He's SEGA's mascot. To me that awards the character a bit more protection than a general series.

Tomb Raider has had two reboots and both of those tie in with the franchise being handed over to a different development studio. Would Tomb Raider have survived as long as it has after Angel of Darkness if Core hadn't given the series to Crystal Dynamics? Probably not. Likewise, would the franchise have gone on much longer from Underworld had Square Enix not gotten involved? Again, probably not. Again though - those are different circumstances.

To my knowledge Sim City Societies was the last Sim City game for a LONG time and IMO the future for the series after Sim City is now very uncertain.

I wouldn't say it'd definitely happen, but a flop could have the potential kill The Sims depending on whether EA wanted to bother investing further into it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sucom wrote:

A complete overhaul of the same elements from all games?
    How is that an overhaul?
    That's a mixed regurgitation, lol
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited June 2014
    sims 3 was awful and that game didn't flop...............
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    Sucom wrote:

A complete overhaul of the same elements from all games?
    How is that an overhaul?
    That's a mixed regurgitation, lol

Basically 8)
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    sims 3 was awful and that game didn't flop...............
    Sims 3 had really great features that were botched by the coding of the game
    It's almost as if they did 0 debugging
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited June 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    If it bombs, chances are there simply won't be another Sims game. I'll say the same thing I said to someone else who wished for the Sims 4 to fail. Don't like it, don't buy, but don't expect to get anything better. EA is only going to make a Sims 5 if the Sims 4 is successful. They'll have no motivation to do so.

On the other hand, if TS4 is successful, they have no motive to do better next time.

I agree that the most likely outcome is no more Sims games, but that's still preferable to the series continuing like this.
  • Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    edited June 2014
    At this point I don't even care if they never make a Sims 5 so both possibilities are fine with me. I'd rather it flop and they never make a Sims 5 than for it to do well and they make another terrible game like this one. There is no reason to believe 5 will be better than 4 unless 4 flops.
  • Options
    HaucusuchusHaucusuchus Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think you guys aren't giving EA enough credit. They did indeed learn from the Simcity fiasco afterall; not only did they give that game an offline mode, we can thank that debacle for Sims 4 being offline. I believe the reason Sims 4 is currently so limited in scope is that EA was unwilling to scrap all the work and funding that was already done and start over and instead invested in converting the former MMO into a single player game. I think EA could indeed learn from a Sims 4 flop or even lesser than expected sales.
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited June 2014
    :lol: I do too! :evil:
    Something has got to be done to let them know we are tired of the same stuff. When I found out it was going to be all sunny days once again & I would have to wait... years?... for rain, I was done. :roll: I've been there, done that. It's old.
    The new pictures are of the sims doing the same stuff they have been doing for the last 14 years! Like the old lady working on something with a screwdriver and she gets shocked and falls on the floor! My goodness, how many times have we seen that? Sure the graphics are a little better, but IT'S THE SAME GAME! Same stuff over and over and over and now over again!
  • Options
    Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited June 2014
    Havent you read the forums thats what the complainers all want just the same stuff as before! they want all the old plus lots of new stuff and when they got new stuff in sims 3 they then moaned because their computers with integrated chips lagged.
    Then people ask for extras and when it comes in a new expansion you will see that the forum complainers will moan that EA is money grabbing.
    I wish some of these fan's would band together and develope their own game and then give it away free!!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Snosrap522 wrote:
    Havent you read the forums thats what the complainers all want just the same stuff as before! they want all the old plus lots of new stuff and when they got new stuff in sims 3 they then moaned because their computers with integrated chips lagged.
    Then people ask for extras and when it comes in a new expansion you will see that the forum complainers will moan that EA is money grabbing.
    I wish some of these fan's would band together and develope their own game and then give it away free!!

Hmm, I think you're mistaken there. They "moaned" because in comparison to the well-rounded and expressive sims we had in the TS2 base game TS3 was very, very lacking. Even the Generations expansion pack couldn't re-insert what had been lost from the transition of TS2 to TS3. For a game called The Sims there was very little focus on the actual sims.

Furthermore, people "moaned" because TS3 was a broken, buggy mess. It had nothing to do with people's computers:- routing in the open world was broken and has always been broken, story progression was broken and has always been broken...
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    Snosrap522 wrote:

Hmm, I think you're mistaken there. They "moaned" because in comparison to the well-rounded and expressive sims we had in the TS2 base game TS3 was very, very lacking. Even the Generations expansion pack couldn't re-insert what had been lost from the transition of TS2 to TS3. For a game called The Sims there was very little focus on the actual sims.

Furthermore, people "moaned" because TS3 was a broken, buggy mess. It had nothing to do with people's computers:- routing in the open world was broken and has always been broken, story progression was broken and has always been broken...

This exactly. 8)
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    edited June 2014
    still have my pre-order on...but even I have to admit it's a bit silly how they have cut quite a few thing's from the game :(
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think you guys aren't giving EA enough credit. They did indeed learn from the Simcity fiasco afterall; not only did they give that game an offline mode, we can thank that debacle for Sims 4 being offline. I believe the reason Sims 4 is currently so limited in scope is that EA was unwilling to scrap all the work and funding that was already done and start over and instead invested in converting the former MMO into a single player game. I think EA could indeed learn from a Sims 4 flop or even lesser than expected sales.
    If they learned they would have scrapped the game, not rerouted the older online features into nothing and continued with the same architectural framework as the former online game.
  • Options
    JustMe123JustMe123 Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    Darkslayer wrote:

Either is good.
    Either fix your mistakes, if the option ends up being the first.
    Or discontinue your game and license and allow other studios and gaming companies take over and actual improve the games, like Rockstar.

:thumbup: