Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Basically only 2 life stages

Okay so teens are as tall as Y/A, adults, and elders, and elders are basically just adults with grey hair. If you look at Gladys, she's not even hunched over! (Though this means elders don't look all scrawny) and do elders even have wrinkles?

The only life stages that totally aren't knock offs of a different life stage are Child and Baby, but we haven't even seen babies yet, so this worries me. :?

What are your thoughts?
keep on keepin' on

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited June 2014
    Babies are the same size as kids, to make their emotions more noticeable
  • Options
    SimmeringSoulSimmeringSoul Posts: 159 New Member
    edited June 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:

xD! This is great.

But in response to the OP, yeah, when you put it like that, it just goes to show how much has been cut away. I have to wonder how each stage is going to seem unique and distinct. :(
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited June 2014
    I know you can feed the baby so it is not a deco item.

The teen to elder looking the same is just laziness on EA's part.

So yes 2 life stages ...kid and all else.

Sad state of affairs...just shameful.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:

xD! This is great.

But in response to the OP, yeah, when you put it like that, it just goes to show how much has been cut away. I have to wonder how each stage is going to seem unique and distinct. :(

Obviously,
    emotions_zps5e473edc.jpg
  • Options
    ClaudiaElzoClaudiaElzo Posts: 1,120 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm glad elders don't look so bad because i kind of hated that and made me want to kill them... but yeah i honestly don't even see the purpose of having young adults so early in the game and having no toddlers in the base game. I feel like playing YA and Adults is pretty much the same :/
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm glad elders don't look so bad because i kind of hated that and made me want to kill them... but yeah i honestly don't even see the purpose of having young adults so early in the game and having no toddlers in the base game. I feel like playing YA and Adults is pretty much the same :/
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2014
    Why do people keep saying this, it's outright false.

Height is not the only thing that differentiates between life stages. What interactions are available, what responsibilities they have, and appearance among other things all factor in. Yes the fact that teens are the same height as young adults is annoying but it doesn't mean they are no longer fully separate life stages.

On top of this Graham has already said that teens will be different in appearance as well so there is some physical difference.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

Height is not the only thing that differentiates between life stages. What interactions are available, what responsibilities they have, and appearance among other things all factor in. Yes the fact that teens are the same height as young adults is annoying but it doesn't mean they are no longer fully separate life stages.

On top of this Graham has already said that teens will be different in appearance as well so there is some physical difference.

He was EAing it, basically saying some random stuff after but to make us not hate them too much :lol: Not only are they the same height but they all look the same, except for elders who have grey hair. Which make me wonder if they can even change their hair colour :shock: :lol:
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

By having "pudgier" faces and slimmer waists??? :roll:

Sorry not sorry, but it's obvious that they ran out of time or are just lazy.

And for the first thing you said, they have yet to actually show the different interactions that you're talking about.
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

I'm excited about teens though... but i do hope we get separete clothes for them a lot of people well actually the few people who think this game is promising say that this is cool cause this means that clothes wont be limited... but to me that means that we have less to pick from. So I'm really hoping they won't dress the same. For me the biggest loss life stage wise was the no toddler thing...
  • Options
    Dearra95Dearra95 Posts: 556 Member
    edited June 2014
    chider1234 wrote:
    Celiria wrote:

By having "pudgier" faces and slimmer waists??? :roll:

Sorry not sorry, but it's obvious that they ran out of time or are just lazy.

And for the first thing you said, they have yet to actually show the different interactions that you're talking about.

Exactly..and what they say and what they show are two different things.
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited June 2014
    If CAS is so whatever they saying ...grab and pull...all sims can be made to look the same.

Get rid of the babyfat in the teens and now ...find the teenage in the crowd.
  • Options
    GumPlyr123GumPlyr123 Posts: 295 Member
    edited June 2014
    According to the genetics video, the ***** get saggy, lol :lol:
    Also, yes, I do believe they have wrinkles and I also think their posture is different.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited June 2014
    2 life stages in cas: children & teen-elder

For example they might have added 20 shirts in the game but they will be used by anybody from teens to elders. SO there might be no exclusivity anymore with the exception of children.

Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited June 2014
    Umm, if life stages are defined only by height, and if we ignore babies, then... I guess?

In real life, teens, young adults, adults, and elders are about the same height. Actually, many teens are taller than people who are currently adults and elders, but they don't have to make them taller for the game to please you, do they?

Those of us who recognize a difference realize that the distinction isn't actually a matter of height.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    joeyk0987joeyk0987 Posts: 211 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Umm, if life stages are defined only by height, and if we ignore babies, then... I guess?

In real life, teens, young adults, adults, and elders are about the same height. Actually, many teens are taller than people who are currently adults and elders, but they don't have to make them taller for the game to please you, do they?

Those of us who recognize a difference realize that the distinction isn't actually a matter of height.

I never thought I would find somebody with common sense on this board. You restored my faith.
  • Options
    HegginHeggin Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hmm... Maybe acne is going to be reintroduced? I liked that feature in Sims 2 :D

Anyway, the height also matters if a Sims "Teen" is supposed to be a 14 year old or a 17 year old... Normally the former is shorter than the latter, so I agree that it makes some sense that Teens and Adults would have the same height. But what does that mean about a Sim that is supposed to be 13-14? Is that a Child or a Teen? I think that's a missing link in The Sims, maybe not like Toddlers, but there's not much to do about that :(
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cogitotoro wrote:

That isn't the problem - the problem is that you can not tell the difference between a Teen, a Young Adult and an Adult IN THE GAME. In real life people can see subtle clues that tell them the age of the person that they are looking at. Since TS4 Sims all look like cartoons there are no subtle clues - there are no clues at all. Take a look at some of the game pictures that we have seen - now pick out the Teens - they are there but you can't tell who they are.

This is why people are upset that Teens are the same height.

And this isn't some nod to 'reality' on EA's part - it is a short cut to minimize the amount of time they spent on the game. Now that Teens are the same height as Young Adults/ Adults they can use the same animations and wear the same clothes - that saves EA a ton of money.

It is the same thing with Elders. While I like that Elders are no longer stooped and decrepit looking, there is literally no difference between them an Teens, Young Adults and Adults - so they don't need their own animations or clothes either - another ton of money saved by EA!

Yet they still charge $60 for the base game despite having taken major shortcuts.

Just because Gladys looks a little 'dumpy' doesn't mean that all Elders will sag or grow fatter - in fact I would bet that they won't. Gladys is dumpy because that is the way the artists at EA molded her body - they could have made her an Adult (or Young Adult or a Teen) with the exact same body shape.

Now do you understand why people are upset?

Edit: We have yet to see Babies or to discover if they are even Sims or just objects like they are in TS1 and TSM. Those who say that 'well, we can feed them' forget that Babies can be feed in those 2 games yet they are STILL only objects.

Face it, making babies back into objects would be another way to save EA money.

• Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited June 2014
    Well....its obvious how lazy Ea is
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    JDtwinsx3JDtwinsx3 Posts: 54 New Member
    edited June 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    :lol:
  • Options
    nasTdudenasTdude Posts: 95 Member
    edited June 2014
    9zuh6p.jpg

vz8zgl.jpg
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited June 2014
    gmgar wrote:
    If CAS is so whatever they saying ...grab and pull...all sims can be made to look the same.

Yes, but in a similar way, grab and pull and you can make your sims look different as well. This will be your own choice for any sims you make yourself. Admittedly this won't be the case for npc's but one of the first things I tend to do in my games is going into CAS and change them if their appearance doesn't suit me.
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited June 2014
    When will people realize that it's not LAZINESS? It's an issue with TIME, EA set the deadline and they have to make it by then.
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited June 2014
    Besides, teens may just look younger in TS4, despite their height.

tumblr_n7x9xj69VY1rzfxypo1_1280.png

They look pretty young there.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sucom wrote:
    gmgar wrote:

Yes, but in a similar way, grab and pull and you can make your sims look different as well. This will be your own choice for any sims you make yourself. Admittedly this won't be the case for npc's but one of the first things I tend to do in my games is going into CAS and change them if their appearance doesn't suit me.

Are you saying we should makeover all the sims in our game so we can tell teens from adults?