Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Lacks the Talent to Create the Sims 4

As most of you guys and gals are probably aware, a lot of Sims 3 guru's and staff were recently let go (most likely due to the new CEO cleaning house).

I believe the reason TS4 is so messed up with lacking content is because they no longer have the talent to produce a complete and successful Sims game. The few competent people left over, just aren't enough to counter act and over rule all the new hires that most likely took place.

These people have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Which explains why Sims 4 feels more like Sims 1.5, the new hires are starting from the beginning (literally). :evil:

Comments

• Options
    JolvsbooksJolvsbooks Posts: 306 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree. This new game is lacking the excitement factor that TS2 and TS3 had for me. I feel that the gurus don't care about the game as much as they used to either. I blame the suits and head honchos at EA for this as I know how it feels to be downtrodden by the senior management in my own job!

The Sims 4 should be the next generation of gameplay but with all the cuts we've had recently, it doesn't feel that way. For me, the prominent new feature of this game, emotional sims, in no way makes up for the amount of content and gameplay that they're removing from base game. I'm a legacy writer and generational gameplayer, so the lack of toddlers is a deal breaker for me. I also feel that they're stifling my creativity by removing CASt and not allowing us to edit town lots.

I've just cancelled my preorder and will only reconsider if they correct some of these issues.
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited June 2014
    🐸🐸🐸🐸

this is crazy.

Everyone has lost their minds.
  • Options
    Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited June 2014
    That's very disrespectful of saying there's no talent left. :(
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• Options
    AxelTaylor01AxelTaylor01 Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2014

:roll: I never said there wasn't any talent left. If you had bothered to actually read what I said you would have realized that. I said there wasn't enough competent people left over, never said there wasn't any talent left.

Meaning that the few talented people left just aren't enough to counter act the people who have no idea what they're doing. To someone who's not been with the series for years, or played it before the were hired by the development team; toddlers, pools, basements etc... those items don't hold the same importance to them, as it does to us the players.
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kail16 wrote:
    🐸🐸🐸🐸

this is crazy.

Everyone has lost their minds.

Like so many people keep telling you...

Just because you don't agree with what someone says doesn't give you room for you to say stuff like that.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    edited June 2014
    What a VERY rude thing to say! Saying that the gurus and EA have no talent, very disrespectful, just as most of you get up and do your job, that is what they are doing, their job is to make Sims 4, and if you are not happy with their efforts, then don't be happy, but please don't turn to say that they have no talent... I mean no offence to you though.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's not about talent or skill. It's about time. EA haven't given the dev's anywhere near enough time to turn this into an offline game.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    It's not about talent or skill. It's about time. EA haven't given the dev's anywhere near enough time to turn this into an offline game.

This^

I just hope they focused on creating a solid foundation, so the expansions could do the job.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    This!! :roll:
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:

Exactly!

All of the Gurus' are highly talented.
    The only reason why the game is lacking is because EA won't allow the Gurus' any more time to work on the game. They're stuck with the September 2nd release date. And, that means they've got to leave and cut out a loada' features.
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited June 2014
    It is 100 % a time issue. That's already been addressed by multiple Gurus and makes logical sense. Any small number of people with any lick of talent can pop out a decent game given the TIME.

EA just doesn't allow that so corners had to be cut. It's not that big of a deal. Most of the Gurus have said the foundation of TS4 allows them to put most of what was cut in later.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:

This right here!

I truly believe the developers working on this game wanted to create the best piece of product they could. Sadly when you're given hard deadlines and time constraints that isn't always possible. I'm sure they're just as disappointed as some of the simmers. They just can't say it the same way we can because they'd like to continue to have a job.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited June 2014

:roll: I never said there wasn't any talent left. If you had bothered to actually read what I said you would have realized that. I said there wasn't enough competent people left over, never said there wasn't any talent left.

Meaning that the few talented people left just aren't enough to counter act the people who have no idea what they're doing. To someone who's not been with the series for years, or played it before the were hired by the development team; toddlers, pools, basements etc... those items don't hold the same importance to them, as it does to us the players.

You know what you should do with all your expertise?

Start a gaming studio.

And we'll all watch and second guess every step you make. cuz, you know, that's fun...

The problem with the Sims 4 isn't talent. It's time. EA made a decision probably driven by financial reporting and stock analysts that they needed to ship this game 3rd quarter 2014.

No matter they had to scrap huge amounts of development after the Sim City online fiasco. No matter what had to be stripped out of the base game to deliver on a truncated timeline. (After all, you can always milk the fans later with an XP--- more revenue!!! ) No matter what arguments the dev team made that stripping some things out (like toddlers) would probably lead to huge blowback. (Yes, I'm guessing on details, but I've been involved in software developments for some years. Seen this happen too many times.)

Upper management made a calculation that delaying would be a bigger problem than stripping down the game to make the delivery date.

Whether what's happening now is making them reconsider that calculation, it is too early to know, but I am not hopeful about delaying the game. I am slightly more optimistic about it being added in after launch-but probably in an EP they plan on charging a premium for.

I will be delighted to be wrong. But in any case, the failure here is not one of talent.
  • Options
    tavoris08tavoris08 Posts: 344 Member
    edited June 2014

Your basically implying that there is little to no talent in EA. Still that's rude. I don't think you've been keeping up with the news. Highly doubt that it's because of lack of talent. With way the game is, I think it looks good even if it has a few things missing. I'm excited about the game and can't wait to see what's new in it.
    Tj08-2-1.jpg
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2014
    There's lots of talent at EA. :?

I totally blame the senior management. I think the managers don't play Sims games, have NEVER played Sims, and have no idea what people want in a Sims game. I think they were hired for their pencil-pushing skills and not because they had a clue what constitutes a good Sims game. I think they've been responsible for telling the developers to "include this ... don't include THAT." (And their "don't include THAT" list is pretty long because they want to make unreasonable deadlines.)

I read an article by some gamer magazine a long time ago that verified what I'm saying. The article was entirely about how the higher-ups at EA don't actually play the games they produce, but are hired only for their management abilities. They aren't actually gamers. Scary, huh? :cry:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Penelope wrote:

I totally blame the senior management. I think the managers don't play Sims games, have NEVER played Sims, and have no idea what people want in a Sims game. I think they were hired for their pencil-pushing skills and not because they had a clue what constitutes a good Sims game. I think they've been responsible for telling the developers to "include this ... don't include THAT." (And their "don't include THAT" list is pretty long because they want to make unreasonable deadlines.)

I read an article by some gamer magazine a long time ago that verified what I'm saying. The article was entirely about how the higher-ups at EA don't actually play the games they produce, but are hired only for their management abilities. They aren't actually gamers. Scary, huh? :cry:

Very scary. I think it might be a combo of what I mentioned and what you just mentioned. EA is ruining the most successful pc game of all time. :roll:
  • Options
    tavoris08tavoris08 Posts: 344 Member
    edited June 2014
    Penelope wrote:

Very scary. I think it might be a combo of what I mentioned and what you just mentioned. EA is ruining the most successful pc game of all time. :roll:

well have fun with that because no matter what you think people are still going to get the game whether you do or not. just because you don't like it does it mean other people shouldn't like it. :mrgreen:
    Tj08-2-1.jpg
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited June 2014
    EA is much bigger than The Sims. They are very talented. Sometimes things don't work out. When a company is on the leading edge of the industry, every wrong step becomes a major issue. EA has a better than 8 million profit, they must be doing some things right. :D
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqD3byKNs-w

It's not a lack of talent..it is more of EA rushing this mess out. They aren't giving the devs the time to do it right. So I will defend them and say there is not lack of talent, its a lack of time and flat out being rushed by higher ups. Remember they tried to make this hot mess an online game at start, now they are hurriedly trying to make it a single player...which means hot rushed mess...get your hot rushed mess here.
    But it is not a lack of talent. 8)
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2014
    EA has over 8300 employees and I just checked yesterday - so not old figures.

The people let go were all assistants of some form or assistant to an assistant with the only one of importance - a producer - that is not there any more because she moved as her husbands job was moved and of course she is going with her family and even she was only a producer on the Sims 3 store worlds. The others let go were also with the sims 3 store. Has nothing to do with Sims 4. You also fail to mention that a few let go from Salt Lake City for the store have since been brought back to actually work on the sims 4. So if you can focus on the ones gone - at least be kind enough that they were valued enough to be brought back if they were willing to move to Red Wood City where sims 4 is being made.

To say there is no talent then that means the Sims never had any talent as many are former devs and artists from all 3 of the previous series. The majority of them hail from the sims 2 and 3. So apparently they have never had good enough talent for the game in your opinion.

In my opinion I disagree. I also would disagree saying things you have no confirmation of and research before you make up stuff. I know it makes you feel better to think all the former maxoids would not do this to the game, therefore there are none and to think you just paid attention when 40 people were laid off not even noting it was store personel and in a whole other studio and state than Sims 4 - and then of course not adding some of the better talent was called back and invited on working on the sims 4 - but for some odd reason that did not deserve mention or you did not know because you did not research the info before you said it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    EA has over 8300 employees and I just checked yesterday - so not old figures.

The people let go were all assistants of some form or assistant to an assistant with the only one of importance - a producer - that is not there any more because she moved as her husbands job was moved and of course she is going with her family and even she was only a producer on the Sims 3 store worlds. The others let go were also with the sims 3 store. Has nothing to do with Sims 4. You also fail to mention that a few let go from Salt Lake City for the store have since been brought back to actually work on the sims 4. So if you can focus on the ones gone - at least be kind enough that they were valued enough to be brought back if they were willing to move to Red Wood City where sims 4 is being made.

To say there is no talent then that means the Sims never had any talent as many are former devs and artists from all 3 of the previous series. The majority of them hail from the sims 2 and 3. So apparently they have never had good enough talent for the game in your opinion.

In my opinion I disagree. I also would disagree saying things you have no confirmation of and research before you make up stuff. I know it makes you feel better to think all the former maxoids would not do this to the game, therefore there are none and to think you just paid attention when 40 people were laid off not even noting it was store personel and in a whole other studio and state than Sims 4 - and then of course not adding some of the better talent was called back and invited on working on the sims 4 - but for some odd reason that did not deserve mention or you did not know because you did not research the info before you said it.

...okay... You're entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine. No need to start insulting me, really though I think that says a lot more about you than it does me. I was just making an observation and was curious about other simmers opinions...

Also I going to point this out again, I never said there wasn't any talent at EA, I said there wasn't enough. Major difference. Perhaps I should have used the word skill instead of talent, but some how I doubt that would have made any difference in your response.

Stop putting words in my mouth, it's extremely impolite at the very least. The team that worked on TS2 and TS3 have been very talented and I have very few to no complaints. I loved TS2 and I absolutely adore TS3. Believe me if I didn't I never would have bought all the expansion packs and stuff packs and a boat load of store content.

I was unaware that some of the team had been hire back, glad to here they are back. :D Though I will admit that its news to me that you have to go off do extensive research before posting/commenting on the forums. :roll:

You could have politely commented on that, but you had to go and be snarky.

Edited to fix grammatical errors.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tavoris08 wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

well have fun with that because no matter what you think people are still going to get the game whether you do or not. just because you don't like it does it mean other people shouldn't like it. :mrgreen:

Never said I had a problem with people enjoying the game. If you're excited about the game, than I'm happy for you! :-) (At least that makes one of us).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    DonLatharo wrote:
    What a VERY rude thing to say! Saying that the gurus and EA have no talent, very disrespectful, just as most of you get up and do your job, that is what they are doing, their job is to make Sims 4, and if you are not happy with their efforts, then don't be happy, but please don't turn to say that they have no talent... I mean no offence to you though.

No offense taken. Didn't mean to be rude. Just calling it as I see it, which is just being honest.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited June 2014
    Talent is something you reference to indie game developers

What ea needs is developers to make they're product the real talent is in their Marketing to sell said product. That's how fortune 500 companies work.

Ea is pretty darn good as they can still get many simmers to buy the game even when they don't like it, don't like the fact things are missing, or make the excuse they don't mind it.

Again it's the hype of it all that affects simmers and that hype bleeds into peer pressure to buy as well. It just depends on the perspective you want to take about the game. As there is peer pressure not to buy as well.

Time is the main factor, and because EA tried to make sims 4 online in the first place of course at March 2013 there wasn't enough time to complete an entire game and add back in the singleplayer features. My one concern is with coding is it truthful that things that aren't in base game will be able to be added back in. Sims 3 because it started out with a bad foundation, barely had room to change or fix anything let alone add new content. Many of the content in sims 3 is recycled. So with sims 4 I'm wondering if EA is being dishonest when saying we can always add content later in ep's or patches. Especially since they couldn't even give different heights to teenagers. You know what that means it means that they didn't have time to code or make all the hundreds of animations for the teenages so they went with making them the same height and copy pasted them. You can't tell at all that they're teenagers, what if you have a fat teen or a curvy teen, they pretty much look like adults.

So it's more than just a toddler issue here because people are trying to place good faith in EA right now who's trying to tote this is a good game, brand new and solid. When it's not, that is the lie, that is the false marketing. It had a horrible start, it's having horrible results from that horrible start, and at release because it lacks so much it's going to have a horrible after math. I think fans will be very disappointed in all the time periods of this game. At announcement, before release and after. I understand having hope but i feel strongly it might be wise for ea to release just this base game and not add any expansions to it.

I know people are like what. I seriously would just release it but rename it to TheSimsLite

Afte that i'd let fans know we're going to spend the next few years pumping out a game that is worthy of our fans. Then place this game with a cash shop for added content, not do expansions just a cash shop to keep the projects thriving, place more content for sims 3 and try and make back the costs for the game and drop it like a bad habbit. Save face with my fans and Do The sims 4 Reload. Actually investing in the game from the beginning the right way.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    Seriously. They should have thrown ten million dollars in unmarked bills at Twallan and begged him on their hands and knees to be their creative director.

Stuff would have gotten done, on time, within budget, and most importantly, in the spirit of the ORIGINAL Will Wright simming tradition.

And as for letting all those SimGurus go, it made me infuriated, but really, what did anyone expect? This is EA.