Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Official Sims 4 for Mac Discussions/Speculations/Whatever

Comments

• Options
    dukiebird23dukiebird23 Posts: 242 Member
    Thanks for making this thread, it is very helpful as there are lots of threads on this subject. This way I can keep updated as I am tearing my hair out at waiting.
  • Options
    springacresspringacres Posts: 47 Member
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Well, at this point in time the game looks like a glorified Sims Free Play with a great CAS. (Other than missing the obvious). Will I buy it? Maybe, but not for Windows. Will they port it to the Mac? Who knows at this point?
    Even when (if?) they do, I'm not sure it will be worth the money. I hear they're cutting things that were there in the ORIGINAL Sims base game like terrain leveling/sculpting, NPC cleaners/repairmen and default careers. Not that I've used default careers much for my Sims since TS3 Ambitions came out, but still, I'd like that to be an option. At least in TS3, the default careers are a good way to get to know your neighbors and other Sims in your community.
  • Options
    Stacyturii1Stacyturii1 Posts: 2 New Member
    So I decided to try my luck on my pc. I was going to put Windows on my mac but opted against it. I did not think my pc has the specs but it does. The only thing is my mac has way better quality. I hope it comes soon for mac because the new CAS is great!!!
  • Options
    Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    I hope they release some information regarding the mac version soon.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    I was reading an article before....

In delivering great game content, connecting with our Origin offerings on PC and iOS devices, and offering great value to gamers with dual-platform play on select titles, Origin is making it easier than ever before for gamers to connect and play anytime, anywhere. You can download Origin for Mac today

Dual-platform? Sims 4?

http://www.ea.com/news/origin-for-mac-is-here
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Not yet. It's like Sim City. You buy the Windows version and then when the Mac version is released you can download it.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Not yet. It's like Sim City. You buy the Windows version and then when the Mac version is released you can download it.

True. I'm just going to wait until a mac version is released. I'm not going to fiddle around with my mac with bootcamp. I'm quite happy waiting.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    Me too. :D
  • Options
    ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2014
    > @MALAiA46 said:
    > Many mac users already got it to work properly on parallels and bootcamp. I played the sims 4 demo cas on parallels on my mac.

Any chance you can share the sacred knowledge? Did you just install it and it was good to go? Which version of Windows are you using? Cause mine keeps having these purple lines across the screen(it's all over the screen when it's the screen with "create a sim" button, but in actual CAS there are lines only over the buttons/colour variations, not over the sim or the background). I do suspect the issue is that it doesn't identify the video card cause parallels doesn't "use" it, but I haven't been able to fix it, maybe I'm doing something wrong?
  • Options
    I just installed it and it was good to go. I used Windows XP, so I'm not sure what version you are using.
  • Options
    Do you think it would all work on my MacBook Air?
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    If they're trying to make the game for low end computers... I'm pretty sure they can make the game work on my MacBook Air.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    It should especially if they created Sims 4 to run on Windows XP which not the latest version of Windows. ;)
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    If they're trying to make the game for low end computers... I'm pretty sure they can make the game work on my MacBook Air.

Apple make their operating systems to run on Macs only, it's proprietary. They write their own drivers for the hardware whereas the vendor writes the drivers for Windows, e.g NVIDIA/AMD does driver updates for Windows for their graphics cards, Apple does them for our Macs . The problem with some 3rd party developers, EA apparently being one of them, is that they don't sign up to Apple's developer's program to get pre release versions of OSs and subsequent updates. If they aren't signed up they can't test their products so when Apple come out with updates or a new OS we have to hope that our games/apps etc. will work. EA apparently aren't signed up to the developer program. If they were we would not have had this problem when Lion came out.

So your game might work great and then bam, Apple might release a graphics update which could render your game unplayable. This isn't Apple's fault, it is EA's. Being part of the developer program would have meant they would have known about the update and released a patch accordingly, as they do for Windows users.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > I just installed it and it was good to go. I used Windows XP, so I'm not sure what version you are using.

Windows XP SP 3 too(don't need windows 7 or 8 cause I use my parallels mostly to run older games that are easier to run under XP than bothering with compatibility mode), so that's what I don't get... I have sims 2 with all of the expansions installed on the same VM too, runs flawlessly on highest settings, but there was an issue that I had to edit the "graphics rules.sgr" because Parallels identifies the video card as "parallels video adapter", and the game thinks that it's a crappy video card and ran like a nightmare(those flashing red walls... i bet they could cause a seizure even if you don't have epilepsy), so I had to add the line that convinced the game that parallels video adapter IS a proper video card, but this file is quite different for the sims 4 demo and I couldn't figure it out properly. I do have to admit I am using the version 9.0.23046, which isn't the latest one, but are you using the latest one? I was checking their "what's new" section that they have for 9 that describes every edit made to each version, yet I fail to see how any of them would make a difference(from the looks of it most of them were about problems in coherence mode or and the connection of storage between mac and windows).
  • Options
    Ooo what exactly did you do to get Sims 2 to run better? I used the suggestion off of the Parallels website and it works, but it flashes a lot still. Well, not red walls, but it doesn't run anywhere near as good as my Mac version of Sims 2.

I hadn't changed any settings in Sims 4 to get it to run. Hmmm... I know they are separate files.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Ooo what exactly did you do to get Sims 2 to run better? I used the suggestion off of the Parallels website and it works, but it flashes a lot still. Well, not red walls, but it doesn't run anywhere near as good as my Mac version of Sims 2.
    >
    > I hadn't changed any settings in Sims 4 to get it to run. Hmmm... I know they are separate files.

I used one from parallels forum as well(at least I think we're thinking about the same thing) - the one in the beginning about if match vendor, then the one about texture memory and one about resolution. My current mac is fairly new though(13 inch retina from late 2013), so I did assign quite a lot of resources to the VM - like 3,5 gigs of RAM(just pulled it almost to the end of the green section haha), 4 CPU's, 1024 mb of video memory. It doesn't use up all of it obviously, the machine actually doesn't even heat up nearly as much as it does with me playing native Dragon Age:Origins, which is quite surprising considering that it's all of the expansions+somewhat a gig of CC all running in a virtual machine.

I don't know if you have seen it, but there's a question on Yahoo that might be helpful for you - it suggests to edit a few other things in addition to the ones from the Parallels forum - as a new member I am not allowed to post links, but if you google "How to improve graphics for The Sims 2 Intel HD" it should be the first link , hope this could solve your problem! Which build of Parallels do you have though? Because maybe that's the issue in my case, since mine is one of the first ones from the 9's(I think it's actually only specifying Developer's Mavericks as a system on the official description of it and not the "mainstream" version), and maybe there were some changes there... I am planning on playing around with "graphic rules" and "graphic cards" files, but I am just really surprised and would like to know what is so different about me running it on xp in parallels from you doing the exact same thing
    Post edited by ArielGrint on
  • Options
    zagbooruleszagboorules Posts: 474 Member
    I don't mind waiting, just pleased that Sims 4 will come out for Macs eventually :#
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I'll have to try those suggestions. I have Parallels 9 as well. Haven't bought 10 yet, but I will.
  • Options
    @ArielGrint Do you have the latest DivX drivers? I know that has something to do with the video. I just thought about it.

• Options
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > ArielGrint Do you have the latest DivX drivers? I know that has something to do with the video. I just thought about it.

I haven't had those, installed them - no help, BUT I did manage to solve the "purple stripes" issue after all. As I mentioned before, I had an early version of Parallels 9 - 9.0.23046, so I decided "why the heck not?" and installed a newer version - 9.0.24229.991745. When the newer one was installed, it reinstalled Parallels Tools and voila, no purple stripes! I was shocked beyond measure as my version of Parallels Tools was not outdated(at least the button said "re-install" rather than "update" which means that it thought that there were no new versions of Parallels Tools to update to), and, as I mentioned before, "Updates Summary" on the website did not suggest that any of the builds that came after mine did anything with the graphics at all. This is some sort of software sorcery going on here. When I launched the demo it did still say that the video card was not a recognised one, but it still runs without stripes. I have a question for you(and anyone who runs the demo in parallels) though - is the Sim a tad bit "edgy" for you too? I maxed out all of the settings(which it did not complain about, so I assume it accepted it), and yet the Sim still looks like it would on quite low settings(I WISH I could post the picture here, but I am not allowed to since I am new to the forum... my profile picture is a screenshot that I took in-game - it got a bit blurred during uploading, but even so you can see that the lines aren't smooth(which obviously looks even less smooth in the demo itself). I mean the demo is still playable and it doesn't look THAT bad up close, but I was wondering if it were just me or if it were like this for everyone and perhaps we could find the solution to this issue(still trying to figure out the "graphics rules" file, I could add the video card to "graphics cards", but graphics rules have a code that looks a tad bit messy to me(took me a while to figure out where some of the if's begin and end), so perhaps there are people who are smarter than me and would be able to figure it out?
  • Options
    Hmm.... Not sure. I wonder if you can PM here and send me a link. I really thank you for your direction to Yahoo as I'm going to experiment with that and see if that helps my Sims 2 UC.
  • Options
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Hmm.... Not sure. I wonder if you can PM here and send me a link. I really thank you for your direction to Yahoo as I'm going to experiment with that and see if that helps my Sims 2 UC.

I would love to hear if it has worked in the end, cause I think this could be helpful to other people too :)
  • Options
    So earlier on I was talking about the sims in my demo looking a bit edgy... Anyone using parallels have their sims looking like this too? ScreenShot2014-08-29at215602_zps9829b4d2.png
    ScreenShot2014-08-29at215626_zpsebae48b4.png

@MALAiA46 do yours look ok?
  • Options
    MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited September 2014
    I use parallels with the sims cas 4 demo and my sims look smooth. Just go to settings graphics and put edge smoothing on high! Also when playing the game with parallels I can only stay in the house lot and interact with each other ect... but when I try to go to a different lot the game doesn't function correctly.

Edit: Never mind I put graphics on low and edge smoothing on high and traveling to other lots is functioning fine now!

Does anyone know any updates of when the mac version will be released?
    Post edited by MALAiA46 on