Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think some type of CASt will be added in an EP?

Before anybody jumps down my throat with "OMG IT'S NOT IN TS4 GET OVER IT", hear me out! I'm not complaining or petitioning against the game, just tossing out an idea :-)

Let's say Maxis notices the huge demand for a CASt system -- whether or not it's the one we have in TS3 or even just a color wheel -- and decide to implement it in an EP (preferably fashion and style based, a la Stylists and Architects in Ambitions).

"But there's the emotion gameplay!"

That's true! The clothing objects are coded to influence a Sim's emotion . . . and that's just it. Their coding. I know that sounds confusing, but let me put it like this:

All objects and clothing are coded with a certain emotion with them -- let's take the flirty picture from Gamescom for example:

The-Sims-4-Risque-Painting.jpg

Now, let's note that there's no flirtatious influence from the picture's color settings; SimGuruRachel notes that Ollie looking at the picture influenced him into a more flirty mood. That's what the object is programmed to do to Sims.

Since there's not much to recolor in this object, let's look at Bella's dress:

aovsso.png

Red is a often used color to represent sexiness -- but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Let's say you find cyan more attractive than red. But if that color preset isn't available, you just have to suck it up or find a new dress for your Sim, even though your reallyreallyreally like Bella's. You're stuck conforming into whatever the base game thinks are attractive colors.

What I'm getting at is this:

If an EP featuring some form of CASt is ever released, it should recode base game and other EP/SP/Store assets into being re-colorable. That way you get to design things to your liking and Sims will still feel intended emotions.
900woh.png

Comments

• Options
    sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited June 2014
    Good points!
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014
    It has been confirmed that colors do not affect emotions. Certaon objects, like the picture, with have an emotional effect, but the colors of clothes, objects, walls and floors will not affect emotions.

That isn't why EA dropped CASt from TS4. In fact no one knows why EA dropped CASt from TS4. There doesn't seem any logical reason not to include CASt in TS4.

Here is my explanation how CASt works:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/755199.page

Because TS4 will use 1-layer textures, adding a CASt option to the game would require two things. One, they would have to reprogram how the game handles textures so that it can use a 2-layer system. That would be difficult but not impossible. Two, they would have to remake every single texture in the game. Every single one - objects, outfits, cosmetics, skin-tones, hair, eyes, wall and floors (did I miss any?). Seriously, how likely is EA to do that?

This is also why EA can not give us CASt as a separate program which we can use outside the game. They could give us a Bodyshop-type program to make recolors, but that would require a 3rd party art program which wouldn't be easy to use. You would have to understand how to use masks in that program at the very least. And recolors would be treated as CC which causes extended loading times. This is one reason I don't like the new District system in the game - loading screens between Districts may only take 30 seconds now, but add in CC (and a couple of EPs) and they will get significantly longer.

CASt is gone. The chance of it returning in an EP is so slim it might as well be invisible. I would not hold your breath for its return. Maybe they will bring it back in TS5.

• Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited June 2014
    I honestly can't see them adding any type of CASt at this point. I think they made the decision to leave it out, despite hundreds of fans telling them what they wanted, so we are stuck with that decision.
  • Options
    Innuendo21Innuendo21 Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2014
    Never gonna happen.
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited June 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:
    It has been confirmed that colors do not affect emotions. Certaon objects, like the picture, with have an emotional effect, but the colors of clothes, objects, walls and floors will not affect emotions.

That isn't why EA dropped CASt from TS4. In fact no one knows why EA dropped CASt from TS4. There doesn't seem any logical reason not to include CASt in TS4.

Because TS4 will use 1-layer textures, adding a CASt option to the game would require two things. One, they would have to reprogram how the game handles textures so that it can use a 2-layer system. That would be difficult but not impossible. Two, they would have to remake every single texture in the game. Every single one - objects, outfits, cosmetics, skin-tones, hair, eyes, wall and floors (did I miss any?). Seriously, how likely is EA to do that?

This is also why EA can not give us CASt as a separate program which we can use outside the game. They could give us a Bodyshop-type program to make recolors, but that would require a 3rd party art program which wouldn't be easy to use. You would have to understand how to use masks in that program at the very least. And recolors would be treated as CC which causes extended loading times. This is one reason I don't like the new District system in the game - loading screens between Districts may only take 30 seconds now, but add in CC (and a couple of EPs) and they will get significantly longer.

CASt is gone. The chance of it returning in an EP is so slim it might as well be invisible. I would not hold your breath for its return. Maybe they will bring it back in TS5.

This is exactly was I was going to say but you've articulated it much better than I could have. If CASt isn't now, which it isn't, then it most probably never will be.
  • Options
    iDarquesseiDarquesse Posts: 228 Member
    edited June 2014
    I understand your point entirely. However I think in order to add a CASt type thing into the game, it's not something they could just patch or add into an EP or even an SP. It's something they would have to completely remodel a whole aspect of the game for. And something that would only really be do-able in the base game. With 2.5 months to go, it's not likely. And teh possibility of it being added into an EP is practically impossible. Then the EP would have to substitute as the base game itself etc etc It would be one big mess if the even TRIED to include it sadly :/

Although, I admit I was never a huge fan of CASt. I liked the concept, but it never worked as well as I expected it to. The colours always looked super..... I don't know, It just ever sat right with me.

Then again neither did TS3 as a whole. Wayyyy too far into uncanny valley with me.

And the pudding faces. My word.
  • Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    edited June 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:

Thank you so much for your explanation. :) So funny, I was actually going to try to stop my CC addiction for this game. ha
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    NyosimNyosim Posts: 816 Member
    edited June 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:

That was a really well put post! Also, if I made you feel like repeating yourself I'm very sorry for that. :(

I know this might sound really random, but they had to fix up many of the Buy/Build objects for TS3 Seasons (mainly for winter), so I figured it wouldn't be impossible with a CASt type system, especially since you mentioned the whole "1 layer and 2 layer" system. Looking back maybe seasons has a different system?

Oh, I know CASt is really unlikely -- I'm not upset or holding it against EAxis at all! I just remember a guru (Graham I think?) mentioning CASt wasn't in the base game. Just because something isn't in the base game doesn't mean it wouldn't ever be in game.
    900woh.png