Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A PRETEEN AGE!

Comments

• Options
    DiscoTwitchDiscoTwitch Posts: 209 Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm not so fond of taking care of toddlers/kids/teens in the games due to their lack of being able to do ANYTHING, but I would appriciate this. Back when I was a tween, I wanted it pretty bad, but kindof forgot about it since then. There needs to be a smoother transition from kid to teen, but I think overall, toddler, kid and teen ages need to be shortened. I mean a toddler is not nearly as long a period as a kid! I think the spanning needs to change and a new look inbetween kid/teen would be great.

To everyone that says the teens don't look old, they definitely do look like 16/17 (or maybe just all my friends irl look really young.)
  • Options
    lis95lis95 Posts: 332 Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure about this.
    I wouldn't exactly say that 13 upwards is PRE-teen. Especially not 15 year olds and pre, means before so pre-teen means before teen. This is mainly because they say that you become a teepnager at 13.pre-teen would be ages 10-12 but that is only two years so it seems pointless to have a whole different age group just for that.

I think the age group is right age wise but it needs to be named something different maybe?

Thanks,
    Lis
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    FatalTemptressFatalTemptress Posts: 757 New Member
    edited August 2009
    If there was to be one single new age, I'd have to say that there's middle aged instead of preteen.

However it's a good idea for future games.
  • Options
    MariJulyMariJuly Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2009
    Love your idea!!!! Definitely a MUST in the game!!!!!!! It would be a lot of help if kids could help around with the babies....
  • Options
    GwinniGwinni Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2009
    preit wrote:
    umm...they are talking of preteens not tweens (which is a combination of twenty and teen, think age 17/18-20/21).

Actually, I think it stands for between and teen, referring to ages 8-12. At least, that's the context I've always heard it in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preadolescence#Preteen_and_tween
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tween

I did find one example where it referred to an individual in their twenties, but it was for hobbits not humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tween_(hobbit)

• Options
    GwinniGwinni Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2009
    Gwinni wrote:
    I don't think there's a need for tweens. If the majority agrees with you, then I don't care if they add the extra age group. But my opinion is that tweens are kids.
    I think that we do need a "Tween" life stage seeing as though when ur 8-12 years old your much more mature than children below that age yet not as mature as teens! So to those who say theres no difference you would be wrong! :evil:

I can see what you're saying and I am not saying there isn't a difference. 10-12-year-olds are more mature than 4-6-year-olds. I'm just saying I don't think there's enough of a difference to justify making another age group in terms of game play.
  • Options
    monypm97monypm97 Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2009
    morsmordre wrote:
    I don't like this idea, because preteen is only like two ages.
    quote]

Not quite, preteen even in real life is about from 9 to 12,13 or 14 depending on genetics
  • Options
    purple_beejeepurple_beejee Posts: 134 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think that would be a wonderful idea i have wanted to post something about that but never got around to it! lol they should be able to play with toddlers and feed them and maybe they could get a job as a babysitter too!
  • Options
    basher118basher118 Posts: 1,265 New Member
    edited August 2009
    does anyone else think this would be great.
    I personaly would love it I meen if the first 6 years of the life have two age groups. you get infant AND todlers. then you get a child whcih doesn't look physically like that big of a jump from a todler which is great.
    But then all of a sudden they jump like 9 years to a 16 yearold.
    Form there it evens out again having young adult then adult then elder, all aging physically like they would in real life.
    So you see my problem is the lack of grace between children and teens there NEEDS to be a preteen age group some of the things they could do are:

middle school

have crushes and find out through rumors and stuff that someone has one on them

paper boy type jobs

able to interact with the infants and todlers

able to go places alone (i know kids can do this but I feel weird with like these kids that look like 7 yearolds running around at 9 30.) so preteens get later curfews, kids have to be home by dinner tiem (like 6)

what do you think, should there be one or not?
    and do you have any ideas on what sorta things they could add for them

Very good idea!
  • Options
    warnergirlswarnergirls Posts: 298 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Good idea
  • Options
    startamastartama Posts: 313 Member
    edited August 2009
    ...To all who think otherwise:

Children look 7-9.

Teens look 15-17.

Shouldn't we have preteens that are 11-13? :/ Am I the only one that sees this logic?

And adults ARE middle-age. Young Adults are 20-30, adults are 30-40/50. :/

And maybe they should add a stage between toddlers and children. I dunno, a little kid age or something?
    Or then again, maybe not.
  • Options
    KayO199XKayO199X Posts: 722 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think the preteen age is the most important age to add because the gap between child and teen is too big. When a child ages up, they sprout up 1 and 1/2 feet and hit puberty all at once. I think there should be an older age, just before a person hit's puberty.
  • Options
    xxxxttttiiiaan59xxxxttttiiiaan59 Posts: 23 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I like this idea alot.
    Ive been wanting more age groups since the sims2 came out,
    I actually thought there was going to be more age groups. Have you ever watched the original sims2 trailer?
  • Options
    RightiesAreFreaksRightiesAreFreaks Posts: 75 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Yes! I've thought that since there was aging in sims 2. The gap uis much too wide. I think that they should make them look about 12...
  • Options
    ZennisaZennisa Posts: 10 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Preteens be a wunnerful idea! I agree that they could babysit and prepare simple full meals w/o the stove and have crushes. I get so bored with children because they can't get in a relationship. There would also be more realistic families.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited September 2009
    Jthebun wrote:
    i love this idea! i was thinking about it yesterday! and there should be an option to merge schhol types, because in the sims, my school would be elemantary and middle school together, cuz my school is grades junior kindergarten all the way to gr 8.

Yeah there should be a preteen age and also if such a thing happen there should also be an option for those in Canada(and any other places that doesn't have middle school) that goes from JK-Gr.8 to merge the 2 together. (Jtheben I also am a Canadian)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    sarichisarichi Posts: 120 New Member
    edited September 2009
    they should definitely have a pre-teen age cause im 14, and cant make a simself cause i don't look like a kid and don't look like a teen D: :evil:
  • Options
    AmyyyleaAmyyylea Posts: 8 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I love the idea. It is very weird to watch this cute little girl playing with dolls change into this hormonal responsible teenager over night. I think their should be a Tween age where their taller and a little more awkward and their clothes all look like disney channel vomited on them lol. Have like Jonas brother posters or something (even though I highly dislike them lol).

Enable them to have multiple crushes and first kisses on the cheek and have "circle yes or no" love notes and "are you going to the dance" notes in their inventory. Their voices should becoming a little more mature. i think it would be cute. Very realistic.

Have the ages from like 10-13. It doesnt have to be extremly long like childhood but just enough to transaction them into hormonal raging, car driving, bellyshirt wearing teenagers. Lol.
  • Options
    jaybird10001jaybird10001 Posts: 1,442 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I agree completely, judging that I am a preteen myself. Ive wanted a preteen age forever! I hope they add this in an EP or SP.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited September 2009
    I really like this idea. I think there should be more ages overall and that the growth should be more gradual, but I don't think that is possible with the current programming. It would be too complex. An age in between child and teenager would be good. Ages between adult and elder would be nice too. Instead of suddenly having gray hair and being hunched over, it would be nice if the skin started wrinkling slowly, hair started graying, and posture changed a little.
  • Options
    TrinketTrinket Posts: 245 Member
    edited September 2009
    Kaka_Fan wrote:
    oh come one how can I be the only one?
    tell me if you wouldn't want this?

Patience, my friend!

And you're not alone, as with all those other people, I agree with you on this one, too. There's obviously a large gap between children and teens compared to toddlers and children. The preteen age group you suggested would be a good way of bridging the gap.

I was quite displeased that Young Adults cannot start out as sons/daughters of regular Adults, but quite frankly, TS3 really needed a "Middle Age Adult" age category, complete with more baldness patterns for Males, and hair colors for both genders that have touches of gray, as it's hard to make middle-aged sims without looking either too young or too old for their age. (It's no coincidence that some of my more-important sims are in their late-40's and early-50's!)

This next idea may just be a novelty, but I would also like to see Elders split into two different age groups, with the younger of the two still allowed to hold jobs, albeit high ranking ones, just to simulate the experience of having old-enough-to-retire sims that are in high ranking positions. (CEO's and high-ranking military officers come to mind.)
    ntrevino96 wrote:
    i agree and pre-teen sims can cook basic meals like grilled cheese and pb and j...not just snacks
    startama wrote:
    I've wanted this for a while now.
    It's kind of sad that the kids have to grow up so quick. I loved having the little kids play on the playgrounds and such with their friends, but if I ever wanted them to get crushes, they'd need to grow up.
    Maybe the preteens(10-14/15)could have crushes, all the while having as much fun as the kids?

Snacky wrote:
    I think Ages should separate into grades as follows:

1-3 No School (Infant)

3-5 Kindergarten (Toddler) {{What about Preschoold, Kindergarten is part of Elementary}}

6-11 Elementary School (Child)

12-14 Middle School (Per-Teen)

15-17 High School (Teenager)

18-21 University (Young Adult)

22-40 No School (Adult)

41-60 No School (Mature Adult) {{Maybe instead, Middle Age}}

61-80 No School (Senior Adult)

This would lay out an appropriate age range.
    Suceress wrote:
    I really like this idea. I think there should be more ages overall and that the growth should be more gradual, but I don't think that is possible with the current programming. It would be too complex. An age in between child and teenager would be good. Ages between adult and elder would be nice too. Instead of suddenly having gray hair and being hunched over, it would be nice if the skin started wrinkling slowly, hair started graying, and posture changed a little.

I concur

Though I too would like to see children able to interact more with toddlers. It does occur, other than play, they also should be able to talk to, tickle and hug them. If a parent is holding a baby the child should be able to talk to the baby or give it a kiss on its little head.

Children and Teens should also be able to join sports while in school, by staying after for an hour or two for practice a couple times a week and a game or two.
  • Options
    marc780marc780 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Yeah this would be a good idea. I dont deliberately make any children in the game anymore because the game makes them so ugly, they look like freakish little munchkins no matter what you do in "Create a Sim". so i just leave them out.

when one of my couples pops out a baby from too much woohoo (this often happens whether you click "try for baby" or not, and it even happens between same sex couples!) i just have them raise it, since i always give my sims so much motherlode to live on they have plenty of time to do it.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited September 2009
    I want a age between Toddler and child so I can make a sim version of Arthur's neighbour hood (since having D.W and Arthur the same age? yuck!).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    4katsuki4katsuki Posts: 1,550 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Amyyylea wrote:
    where their taller and a little more awkward and their clothes all look like disney channel vomited on them lol. Have like Jonas brother posters or something (even though I highly dislike them lol).

Loool so true XD I cant stand disney, or Jonas brothers..especially Miley cyrus(However you spell ITS name) :shock:
  • Options
    Juniormints74Juniormints74 Posts: 288 Member
    edited September 2009
    I've wished for this for so long! I think it's a great idea. :D