Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Complete Your Set Questions

I was hoping that experienced buyers could give me some insights into how the CYS process works. Basically, I want to know when it would be better to buy part of a set first, then complete it with CYS vs. just getting the set on sale.

1. What % of a set must you own before it becomes "free" for you? Or does it have to do with total sim points left?

2. What additional % do they take off of the set price when you buy an item in the set? In other words, if I buy a 100 simpoint item, will they take off 100 more simpoints from the set price for me? Less points? More? How does this discounting work exactly?

3. And how does a sale affect this process?

Hope I don't sound too confused ... but actually I am! :lol:

Comments

• Options
    AcebrsAcebrs Posts: 210 New Member
    edited April 2014
    The Daily Deal page has a little information about CYS, a few posts down. You can calculate out some options if you are willing to spend the time.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/744028.page
  • Options
    Akila906Akila906 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:
    I was hoping that experienced buyers could give me some insights into how the CYS process works. Basically, I want to know when it would be better to buy part of a set first, then complete it with CYS vs. just getting the set on sale.

1. What % of a set must you own before it becomes "free" for you? Or does it have to do with total sim points left?

2. What additional % do they take off of the set price when you buy an item in the set? In other words, if I buy a 100 simpoint item, will they take off 100 more simpoints from the set price for me? Less points? More? How does this discounting work exactly?

I've been able to get 12 sets for FREE because of CYS. The percentage owned was different on each one. I got one set free after only owning 41% and I got another free because I owned 63%. I'm not sure why that is. A sale on the item is sometimes what makes it free....at least it has for me several times.

You don't have to wait for the set to be on Daily Deal to get it free either. I went through all of the current sets and that's how I found most of the sets I got for free. Only 2 of them were on Daily Deal when I got them for free.

The sets I got for free are:

Hewsman Full Set
    Fabulous Fiesta
    Waning Moon
    Hacienda Luxury
    World Inspiration Compilation
    Best of 2012 Compilation
    May 2012 Compilation
    Jan 2012 Compilation
    Oh My Goth Compilation
    Go All In Compilation
    Full Regal Living Set
    Mediterranean Kitchen Dining Set

and I got the Mid Century Modern Kitchen for 20 points

Good luck :)
    michael-jackson-17.gif
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:

Don't worry, the Store often seems designed to be confusing!

As @Acebrs says there is a lot of info on the Current Daily Deal thread - post 2 in particular.

Unfortunately it looks a lot like maths (because it is! :D ) but if you're handy with a calculator or better still spreadsheets it's reasonably easy to calculate.

Some basic guidelines though ...

The very first item that you buy from a set that has CYS enabled will get you more off than you paid. However, to get the best deal, buy one of the cheapest items in the set first.

After that you basically get 90% of the normal price of each item taken off the cost of the set - so always try to buy items discounted by more than 10% and never, that's NEVER, buy any more items at full price.

Your CYS discount is actually added to sets on Sale or on the Daily Deal so you get an even bigger discount - there is a calculator on the DD thread post which will work out your final price using both discounts.

There is no set % owned that will make a set free. It is all based on the total cost of all the items in the set reduced by (roughly) 90% of the total cost of the items that you own.

The other BIG rule is to always check combinations of sets and compilations because once you have CYS on one set it can 'cascade' into incredible discounts on the combos and compilations.

For example if you own Le Cinema Plumbob you could get the March 2013 compilation for free! :thumbup:

I do recommend that you join the conversation on the Current DD thread because it is full of expert bargain hunters who just love helping other Simmers get great deals and can really help you work out how to get the sets you want for the very lowest cost.

Hope that helps some :-)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,023 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you guys for the feedback. It was all very helpful. I didn't know there was info about CYS in that thread. I tried doing a forum search, but nothing really useful popped up--at least not on the first 3 results pages.

I've been able to get 3 or 4 sets for free. But it was totally by accident. I just found them. Thought they were glitches or something at first, but I grabbed them anyway! :lol:

Then I found out there was some kind of logic/math behind these sales. I'll study the thread you mentioned and see if I can make CYS work better for me. Thanks again!
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've got a ton of free sets thanks to the compilations, or really high discounts. :)
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin