Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel Iris Pro graphics cards - please post here if you have a Macbook with Intel Iris Pro card

Comments

• Options
    alanabb01alanabb01 Posts: 1 New Member
    i done everything that you said, but now when i open my game it says an unknown error occurred. i have no clue what that error is and i have no idea how to fix it, would you know?
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    alanabb01 wrote: »
    i done everything that you said, but now when i open my game it says an unknown error occurred. i have no clue what that error is and i have no idea how to fix it, would you know?

That sounds like you haven't edited it correctly, have you double checked your Device ID is correct and you didn't delete anything from the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AbabayAbabay Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi :-) I brought the sim3 about a year ago I played it for a little bit but I originally had it on the playstaion and noted how bad the graphics were on my computer compered to the playstation. I did some research thinking that maybe just that the playstaion had better graphics. Well I found out that I probably had all the graphics stuff on low (which I did). So I turned every thing up on high which worked fine but when I try and turn on the edge smoothing option on the whole screen goes white but the bars along the front and side were fine and worked fine as well. The game works fine its just when I turn on the edge smoothing thing it goes nuts. I thought it might be the problem that you guys seem to be having so I tried the instructions you gave on "Fix for incompatible graphics for The Sims 3 on Mac" (great instructions by the way. Even i could do it and I know nothing about computers :) well I did that and it did nothing it didn't screw up my game or fix it. My Mac is a Mid 2014 Retina 15″ MacBook Pro, Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2 (2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 model) (Intel Iris Pro 5200, Haswell) and only about a year old so any help on this would be great thanks.
    Post edited by Ababay on
  • Options
    m.ziyanm.ziyan Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2015
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Here's a comprehensive guide on getting the game to work for those with Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro, Intel HD 6000 and AMD Radeon R9 graphics.

For some reason after checking and re-trying and restarting my com countless times and trying different permutations, this still doesn't work for me even though I suppose it does for the others. Nonetheless thank you SO MUCH @BluebellFlora for giving me hope in the installation, really appreciate the work! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    m.ziyan wrote: »
    For some reason after checking and re-trying and restarting my com countless times and trying different permutations, this still doesn't work for me even though I suppose it does for the others. Nonetheless thank you SO MUCH @BluebellFlora for giving me hope in the installation, really appreciate the work! :)

Sorry :( I don't understand why it is working for some and not others.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    henka1307henka1307 Posts: 16 New Member
    Should I buy macbook pro with retina display with iris graphics 6100 or normal one with HD graphics 4000?
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    henka1307 wrote: »
    Should I buy macbook pro with retina display with iris graphics 6100 or normal one with HD graphics 4000?

It might depend if you're the type of Simmer who's willing to modify files to get TS3 to work. I think it might be easier to get an older Mac to play The Sims 3. While the older graphics like Intel HD 4000 aren't as fast as newer graphics, they will play TS3 and TS4.
    • The non-Retina MacBook Pro is a good choice for The Sims 3 since Intel HD 4000 works without problems. Intel HD 4000 also works with The Sims 4. Although Intel HD Graphics 4000 isn't fast as later integrated graphics, it will still play TS3 (and Medieval) as well as TS4 and TS2. If you don't want to bother editing files, the non-Retina 13" MacBook Pro is a good choice.
    • The Retina model with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 is perfect for The Sims 4 or The Sims 2 but not for The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval. Unofficially, TS3/TSM could work if you modify GraphicsRules.sgr and GraphicsCards.sgr but you need to know what to insert in those files which I think instructions are in this thread.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    WingGobletWingGoblet Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi, I have been looking for a while and I have a very similer problem but with the Mac Book Air. It says that it cannot start the process when the game is running. Does anyone have any suggestions? I liked the sims 4 but there are not nearly enough traits.
  • Options
    AlexAirAlexAir Posts: 1 New Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi, guys, first of all thanks for taking time to deal with this kind of issue.

I find your guidance quite detailed and informative. However, I can't find any code line for Mac Air Mid-2013 (not retina). I'm using Intel HD Graphics 5000, and there are no lines

card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

in my GraphicsCards.sgr. Any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    AlexAir wrote: »
    Hi, guys, first of all thanks for taking time to deal with this kind of issue.

I find your guidance quite detailed and informative. However, I can't find any code line for Mac Air Mid-2013 (not retina). I'm using Intel HD Graphics 5000, and there are no lines

card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

in my GraphicsCards.sgr. Any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated!

Those lines have to be there unless you've deleted them, they are part of the core game files and are the same for everyone, unless edited.

This fix doesn't apply to your Mac as yours should work, it doesn't have one of the affected graphics cards.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > AlexAir wrote: »
    >
    > Hi, guys, first of all thanks for taking time to deal with this kind of issue.
    >
    > I find your guidance quite detailed and informative. However, I can't find any code line for Mac Air Mid-2013 (not retina). I'm using Intel HD Graphics 5000, and there are no lines
    >
    > card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    > card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    > card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"
    >
    > in my GraphicsCards.sgr. Any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Those lines have to be there unless you've deleted them, they are part of the core game files and are the same for everyone, unless edited.
    >
    > This fix doesn't apply to your Mac as yours should work, it doesn't have one of the affected graphics cards.

Hi, since I know know I should not delete the lines, what should I do now, as I can even get into the game.
  • Options
    @WingGoblet Download and install the super patch (stickied thread on this forum). If that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    LeongamerLeongamer Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, i need help just downloaded the sims 3 yesterday and every time I try to install the game it stops at 3 files out of... I have an Imac.. Any help please?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Leongamer wrote: »
    Hi, i need help just downloaded the sims 3 yesterday and every time I try to install the game it stops at 3 files out of... I have an Imac.. Any help please?

@igazor @BlueBellFlora mac help thanks!
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    @Leongamer, we need to know more about your iMac because there are a lot of them. Which one do you have? What's your graphics card? Which OS are you running?
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > WingGoblet Download and install the super patch (stickied thread on this forum). If that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • Options
    eviek3eviek3 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I'm trying to play just the base game on my early 2015 MBP 15". I'm following the steps but can't seem to find my Device ID from this step

> "Click the apple logo in top left corner of your status bar. Open the About this Mac dialog. Click on Graphics/Displays under Hardware. You'll find the Vendor and Device ID information clearly labelled. For me, the figures are: Vendor: Intel (0x8086); Device ID: 0x0d26"

I've clicked on Displays in About This Mac but all I get it is 'Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB'. Where can I find my Device ID?
  • Options
    teachereaseplyteachereaseply Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2015
    So I tried the process to fix the game files so it would work on my mid 2015 15" macbook pro with intel iris, and it works!! Although once in a while the graphics glitch, if I quit and reload everything is fine.

Quick question though, if I install expansions, will this prevent the game from working? Or would I just need to adjust the same files for each expansion?

@BluebellFlora
  • Options
    So I tried the process to fix the game files so it would work on my mid 2015 15" macbook pro with intel iris, and it works!! Although once in a while the graphics glitch, if I quit and reload everything is fine.

Quick question though, if I install expansions, will this prevent the game from working? Or would I just need to adjust the same files for each expansion?

@BluebellFlora

Some EPs seem to be ok, others don't. I think the problematic ones are Late Night, Ambitions and Island Paradise. You need to just test it yourself I'm afraid. I have covered this in the blog post about it though :)

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    RHGandSLK4everRHGandSLK4ever Posts: 7 New Member
    edited November 2015
    Hello everyone!
    I am very frustrated...
    I used to play the sims 3 on my freaking white macbook from 2009 with no problem... ok it was a tad glitchy sometimes, but it really wasn't a big deal. I could still play fine.
    I now have a Macbook pro 13" retina and was so excited when I figured out I could download my sims 3 and university expansion straight from origin. I thought it was going to work so beautifully on my new macbook! Ha ha ha....
    Downloaded perfectly fine, but just like everyone else it doesn't play. I press the play button and it opens with the typical sims icon and thats it. Nothing happens after that. Or I press play and it says "The process can not be completed while the game is running. Please exit the game and try again." or some crap.

Details of my macbook:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Sims details:

Basic sims 3
    University Life

Also I've read through the thread and it seems like there may be a few options, but I can't seem to find like a step by step way to fix it. I'm not super tech savvy so when some says "put it in some graphics file" I'm like "well can you tell me where to find said graphics file?"

Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    Hello everyone!
    I am very frustrated...
    I used to play the sims 3 on my freaking white macbook from 2009 with no problem... ok it was a tad glitchy sometimes, but it really wasn't a big deal. I could still play fine.
    I now have a Macbook pro 13" retina and was so excited when I figured out I could download my sims 3 and university expansion straight from origin. I thought it was going to work so beautifully on my new macbook! Ha ha ha....
    Downloaded perfectly fine, but just like everyone else it doesn't play. I press the play button and it opens with the typical sims icon and thats it. Nothing happens after that. Or I press play and it says "The process can not be completed while the game is running. Please exit the game and try again." or some crap.

Details of my macbook:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Sims details:

Basic sims 3
    University Life

Thanks for any help!

This is what you have to do - fix.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > This is what you have to do - fix.

Thanks of your help, but it doesn't look like this is working :/ currently trying to uninstall University Life... Just watching the spinning wheel of death for 30 minutes now... aggravating.
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > This is what you have to do - fix.

Thanks of your help, but it doesn't look like this is working :/ currently trying to uninstall University Life... Just watching the spinning wheel of death for 30 minutes now... aggravating.

:( did you try with just the base game, no EP?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > RHGandSLK4ever wrote: »
    >
    > > @BluebellFlora said:
    > > This is what you have to do - fix.
    >
    > Thanks of your help, but it doesn't look like this is working :/ currently trying to uninstall University Life... Just watching the spinning wheel of death for 30 minutes now... aggravating.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > :( did you try with just the base game, no EP?

I was trying to do that, but the installer kept freezing every time I tried to uninstall University Life. I then tried to uninstall everything which also froze. So I just deleted every sim file there was. I'm now reinstalling just the base. hopefully it will work.