Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel Iris Pro graphics cards - please post here if you have a Macbook with Intel Iris Pro card

Comments

• trebulotrebulo Posts: 1 New Member
    I just received my MacBook Pro (early 2015) today and I was looking forward to playing TS3 on a faster computer. Installation went well and I was excited, only for my hopes to be crushed by the error message that lead to my discovery of this thread.
    I really hope EA hasn't given up on TS3 and I hope they will patch this issue as it seems to affect a large amount of their Mac users. Thankfully, I have an older desktop where I can still run my game, but others might not be so lucky.
  • the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    klop123456 wrote: »
    I was afraid of that answer :( but thank you! Its odd because some people with 13 inch macbook pro say they have got at least onto the game!

And it seems all the new 13 inch ones have the same card. Maybe they are using the non-retina... Oh well I could try sims 4, but its just not the same!

Thanks anyway :)

The non-retina 13" MBP has the Intel HD 4000 GPU which will work. All retinas have the Intel Iris. The higher spec. 15" should also work because it has NVIDIA although the latest refresh is questionable as Apple have introduced the more powerful AMD Radeon R9 which won't be supported.

I wish I knew this before I spent so much money on the 2015 15inch MacBook Pro.

We should protest against EA about this matter.
    tamalinn wrote: »
    webbi7 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous they should just release a patch already :(

They're not going to. TS3 is done.

It is not finished in the reality of things. They should respect the sim community more than this. We invested so much money. I'm disgusted by EA right now.
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member

It is not finished in the reality of things. They should respect the sim community more than this. We invested so much money. I'm disgusted by EA right now.

It IS finished in the reality of things. Just because we're still playing it doesn't mean that EA is still spending any time on it.
  • mo8333mo8333 Posts: 2 New Member
    I just got a 13 inch Macbook Pro (2015). When I installed the sims 3 basegame and world adventures, the game worked on my computer with no problems. it started fine, the graphics were fine (almost all on medium settings, no not very pretty but still okay), no glitches. so i decided to install my other expansions/stuff packs and update the game to 1.67 or whatever the final patch was. now i cannot play the sims. the launcher opens, and when you click play it goes to the blue screen with the green plumbob, but does not go past that. I tried the work around, but nothing has changed.

anyone have any ideas about this? for what ive read other people post, this is not exactly the common response.

here are my computer specs: Macbook Pro Retina, Early 2015, 13 Inch, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16 GB Memory, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 (1536 MB)
    Have you really read everything? Seriously? Because basically no one with the Intel Iris graphics card can play the game. They all have exactly the problem that you're describing. If you read either of the TWO threads about the Intel Iris graphics cards or pretty much every single post in the Mac threads of this forum where people complain that their game isn't working, the issue is the Intel Iris graphics cards.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited June 2015

It's really a shame though. TS3 is the only game that isn't going to be patched to support Intel Iris on OS X and there are also other Macs unable to run Sims 3.

The Sims 4 is the only good Sims game (other than the Mac-only The Sims 2: Super Collection) on Mac with performance closer to Windows. As demonstrated by @BluebellFlora in Understanding how The Sims 3 runs on a Mac., The Sims 3's performance is inferior on OS X compared to Windows as TS3 uses Cider for OS X. It doesn't help though that there are Simmers (Mac or Windows) prefer The Sims 3 over The Sims 4 which can be problematic for Mac users.

I also made this thread to help Mac users wondering why their games aren't working with their Mac. It's intended to help Mac users are own or are planning to purchase the computers I mentioned.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

It's really a shame though. TS3 is the only game that isn't going to be patched to support Intel Iris on OS X and there are also other Macs unable to run Sims 3.

I agree, it's a massive bummer. Honestly, when I had to replace my MBP last year, I very deliberately bought a refurbished mid-2012 15" model so that I'd be able to play. It would've been nice to get the newest, nicest one, but I had enough trouble getting TS3 to work in the first place that I just wanted to avoid further headaches.
  • og.spartanog.spartan Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi :) I just wanted to let you all know that I have absolutely no problems with running this game at all and I have Intel Iris Pro graphics. My MacBook is the Mid 2015 Retina 15in base model. I have the latest patch installed along with the supernatural expansion pack. I'm running at medium-highest settings with border smoothing and reflections turned off at 1280x800 resolution in windowed mode (with advanced rendering) I'm getting high 50's to 70 FPS. Temp is 85-90C and fans are running at almost max. Pretty happy with the game so far and loading is very fast :)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    og.spartan wrote: »
    Hi :) I just wanted to let you all know that I have absolutely no problems with running this game at all and I have Intel Iris Pro graphics. My MacBook is the Mid 2015 Retina 15in base model. I have the latest patch installed along with the supernatural expansion pack. I'm running at medium-highest settings with border smoothing and reflections turned off at 1280x800 resolution in windowed mode (with advanced rendering) I'm getting high 50's to 70 FPS. Temp is 85-90C and fans are running at almost max. Pretty happy with the game so far and loading is very fast :)

Oh that's great news. I wonder if it's because you only have the base game and Supernatural installed? Be interesting to see what would happen if you installed Pets. I read on a post last week that someone with only the base game was able to play on their MBP too.

apple-signature.png
  • ImDatKrissyImDatKrissy Posts: 4 New Member
    I can't get past step 7, I can't find the "card 0x0152" stuff.. I can't find it, pls help?
  • SimposeumS4SimposeumS4 Posts: 78 Member
    Hey friend, I just wanted to drop back and give you a HUGE HUGE HUGE Thank you. I bought a power house macbook pro in part because I have some other hobbies I'd like to get into that require more power than my old 2010 and I was hoping that on top of being able to handle my multi-tasking habits, it'd be able to play the Sims. I did some research so I knew how much of a long shot it was but your fix allowed me to work the game with a few minor problems (which I suspect may have something to do with the way I updated my game, now that I read through some of the old forms). I'd also like to note that while your steps did improve the capability of the game, turning off Edge Scrolling stopped the game from the original crashing/unable to load beyond the main menu issue.
    [ Call me Oddy. Born in '91, Lesbian | Gamer | Tea Lover | Slytherin | Caffeine Addict ]

tumblr_static_1qgrli35ina8cg00gwswsokgo.png
    link sends you to my simblr
  • kitten76kitten76 Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hey there, sim loving (and sometimes resenting) friends.

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, and was excited to try out my beloved Sims 3. Here are my specs:

OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10.4)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have the base game installed, 6 expansion packs installed, and some CC and store content. Upon starting up the game and going into CAS, I was pleasantly happy with the performance of the game (SUPER FAST). However, after a while in CAS, things will begin to...glitch.

I have some screenshots of the issues that begin in CAS, but I have no idea how to put photos in a comment in these forums. :s

What will begin to happen (in CAS) is thumbnails look deformed, tabs will no longer be in correct places, sim icons disappear or the sim in the icon looks glitchy and deformed, etc. This will begin very quickly; I'm lucky if I can get one sim done in CAS.

Even if I try to quickly create the family, no one is in the portrait.

Then, the game will crash, or "quit unexpectedly". Also, I tried going straight to live mode after starting the game, but it still crashes!

I tried the fix suggested by tmethei, to which, my problems remained consistent.

As an avid simmer, I'm extremely disappointed with my situation. I am a big fan of The Sims 3... not so much of The Sims 4.

If anyone can offer me some help/suggestions, I could use it. I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this. :s
    kitten76 wrote: »
    Hey there, sim loving (and sometimes resenting) friends.

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, and was excited to try out my beloved Sims 3. Here are my specs:

OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10.4)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have the base game installed, 6 expansion packs installed, and some CC and store content. Upon starting up the game and going into CAS, I was pleasantly happy with the performance of the game (SUPER FAST). However, after a while in CAS, things will begin to...glitch.

I have some screenshots of the issues that begin in CAS, but I have no idea how to put photos in a comment in these forums. :s

What will begin to happen (in CAS) is thumbnails look deformed, tabs will no longer be in correct places, sim icons disappear or the sim in the icon looks glitchy and deformed, etc. This will begin very quickly; I'm lucky if I can get one sim done in CAS.

Even if I try to quickly create the family, no one is in the portrait.

Then, the game will crash, or "quit unexpectedly". Also, I tried going straight to live mode after starting the game, but it still crashes!

I tried the fix suggested by tmethei, to which, my problems remained consistent.

As an avid simmer, I'm extremely disappointed with my situation. I am a big fan of The Sims 3... not so much of The Sims 4.

If anyone can offer me some help/suggestions, I could use it. I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this. :s

Because your graphics card is not supported your only hope is that adding it to the GraphicsCards.sgr file will work. As you can see from the myriad of posts and threads on the subject, there is no other way to get it to work. As already stated in other threads, some have had luck with just the base game and a couple of EPs (not Pets or Seasons).
    apple-signature.png
  • kitten76kitten76 Posts: 19 Member
    alright :( , thank you for your help!
  • kwomanthegreatkwomanthegreat Posts: 5 New Member
    what about Intel Iris Graphics 6100??
    what about Intel Iris Graphics 6100??

Someone needs to try the method with that card and post their results and what exactly they added to the graphics cards file. Maybe you could? :)

apple-signature.png
  • annieolleyannieolley Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm having real trouble trying to get my sims 3 to work!!
    As soon as I open it it just gets stuck on the opening screen and then I have to force quit to get rid of it - and then when i try to re-open it tells me the game is already running.

My specs are:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10.2)
    Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 6100 1536 MB

I have tried everything that has been posted on this thread and re installing and patching and still no hope!!
    I am absolutely gutted as for years I had so many problems with my software being too old for sims 3, and now it turns out to be too new!
    Is there anything else I can do??
    It is so frustrating!! :'(
    Please help!
    @annieolley, I'm sorry for the difficulties you're having. It's got to be a huge PITA. However, your question was answered just above your post:
    Because your graphics card is not supported your only hope is that adding it to the GraphicsCards.sgr file will work. As you can see from the myriad of posts and threads on the subject, there is no other way to get it to work. As already stated in other threads, some have had luck with just the base game and a couple of EPs (not Pets or Seasons).

• annieolleyannieolley Posts: 8 New Member
    @tamalinn I have already tried adding it to the GraphicsCards.sgr file, and still no hope :(
    I think the reason why some can't get their games to work still, despite apparently changing the GraphicsCard.sgr file correctly, is because of the more recent Haswell and Broadwell processors. Only up to Ivy Bridge is detailed. Maybe these need to be added to the list too, to correlate the correct CPU with GPU?

13" MacBook Pros
    Late 2013 Retina 13" MacBook Pro - Haswell
    Mid 2014 Retina 13" MacBook Pro - Haswell
    Early 2015 Retina 13" MacBook Pro - Broadwell

15" MacBook Pros
    Late 2013 Retina 15" MacBook Pro - Haswell
    Mid 2014 Retina 15" MacBook Pro - Haswell
    Mid 2015 Retina 15" MacBook Pro - Haswell

@igazor any thoughts? :)
    apple-signature.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    The only way I can think of to test this is to install TS3 for Mac on my new mid-2015 MBP and see what happens. Though it's getting tempting, I really don't want to do that. The payoff, that is, you still get to play the crippled Mac version of the game instead of the better functioning Windows version, is kind of weak.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    The only way I can think of to test this is to install TS3 for Mac on my new mid-2015 MBP and see what happens. Though it's getting tempting, I really don't want to do that. The payoff, that is, you still get to play the crippled Mac version of the game instead of the better functioning Windows version, is kind of weak.

Thanks for stopping by :)

New MBP, how lovely. I keep telling myself that I don't need to buy a new one..... @the11thmoon has already managed to get the game working on their 15" MBP with AMD R9. So actually that probably blows my theory out of the window as it has the Haswell CPU.

Oh well, maybe it's not working for everyone because they're just not editing the file correctly.....................
    apple-signature.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Nothing to do with sims, but it wasn't lovely when its predecessor, a 2008 MBP, fell apart a couple of years before I was planning on replacing it. It had a faulty graphics card that was actually factory recalled, but mine never exhibited any problems until years after the recall period and apparently took the system board down with it when it finally failed.

Am loving Yosemite on my new MBP and the SSD (my first one!), but really hadn't intended to do any simming on it at all. I expect some brilliant player will figure out in time what the barrier is for those not getting this to work, probably just in time for El Capitan to be released and mess everything up again. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net