Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Next world: Roaring Heights! Random discussion thread.

Comments

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,865 Member
    edited November 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Speaking of track - that might be why the tractor has a track - it would be simple enough to change that to a roller coaster track or even a train track (maybe even bumper cars) - it mostly a matter of graphics I would think with a bit of an adjuctment for the roller coaster speed. Perhaps cross that with the invisible air track for the ITF train would work as far as programming - maybe anyway. I am not sure - it is just what my head says might be a logical bit of thought. hehehe

That is probably the case, the coding is pretty much there then it's just a matter of adpating it together. I have high hopes for this but am trying to be cautious in my realistic expectations. I want it to be grand and better than I can imagine. Yet, if I expect it's going to be amazingly adaptable I might find myself getting let down. Hoping if it is a rollercoaster we're getting, that will be something we see soon.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    edited November 2013
    amjoie wrote:
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    The Bees Knees though was a saying back in the 40's and 50's Nik - it was when everyone said Golly gee a lot - and the Bees knees meant awesome, or the very best thing something could be. We already have bees anyway - but that is a very 30's-40's thing to say.

Edit to add: I have a whole series of Writers aids books that reference era back to the middle ages and according to my Writers handbooks the true Vintage era is considered 1935 - 1969. Actual Vintage clothing goes from 1930 thru the 1950's. The 60's and 70's get into Bohemian era.

The most info I have comes from the Writer's Handbook - Everyday Life from Prohibition through World War II by Marc McCutcheon. This is funny it says the following - the word of this era was "swell" on everybodies lips, but something so cool that it was beyond being swell had to be called - the cat's pajamas, the cats whiskers, or the bees knees and dozens of other variations. (Bees Knees actually started in the late 20's but was still said a lot in the 30's and 40's)... Quoting from the book:

" It was the era where Fibber McGee and Molly, the Lone Ranger, the Shadow, and Inner Sanctum that had entertained families on the radio after dinner was slowly being replaced with people going to movies and dance Halls. The Lindy Hop started in the 40's. Entertainment was the new focus from folks so deprived during the Depression - getting out and just being happy. Amusement parks were a favorite of kids and parents alike.

There was Flash Gordon, Green Lantern, The Shadow, and Tarzan at the Saturday Matinee. Now people could see the characters they had only listened to on the radio now on the big screen.

People singing along with Jeepers Creepers, Chattanooga Choo Choo, and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree and Swing was the new thing."

That book seems to be mixing eras, rather liberally. For instance, the 60-70s were the Flower children, hippies, and Jesus People, not Bohemians. Bohemians were more in the 50's, like in Moon River, beatniks, Greenwich Village etc. While a broad stroke of the pen could call any counter-culture or commune type sub-society "Bohemian," only in the broadest terms could you apply that term to the drop-outs of the 60-70's. And to actually define them by that term is ... misleading.

I think it is misleading to lump together the 20's and 30's, too. They happened for different reasons, and came together as a popular culture because of a shared experience during the "awakening" and "freedom-taking" after the stiltifyingly rigid/tight society of the late 1800's.

It all took place primarily because women rejected society rules, long dresses and corsets, refraining from pleasure of all kinds, letting men rule every aspect of their existence and control all their finances. The 20's broke them out of past restraints, let them bare their legs, burn their corsets, smoke, drink, sit on a chair in a relaxed or even sloppy way, swear, be openly promiscuous, and etc. It was an era of excess in every imaginable way. That's why it is call the "roaring" 20's.

Then prohibition was voted in, as a way to stop the tide and return to a former strict set of societal rules. But women were having none of it. In the underbelly of society, they flocked to speakeasies, wanted to be "modern 30's women," and thrilled to gangsters, Hollywood, and all things wild and wooly. However, on the surface, they caved in to the more sedate rules being forced on them.

It wasn't until the 40's that fashion became sober again. Societal rules became more strict. Women were slowly and gently pushed back into their place, so that by the 50's you couldn't tell there had ever been a dash for freedom. Women were again the stay at home, quiet, very moral examples of womanhood. Skirts never made it to the ground, but they were well below the knee.

Until the 60's when women flatly rejected all that. Skirts got so short that they were hardly skirts at all. Unmarried women lived with men, and had babies with no apology. Drugs were as common as drink. Women declared they had a right to a job and self-satisfaction.

Women have not only never been pushed back since then, but now they are expected to earn their own way in life, many not planning to ever marry. The term "family" has been forever altered, by definition. And it really looks like things will never change.

But don't be fooled. The pendulum swings. In 100 years, we may be right back to long skirts and corsets. You never know. ;)

Do some googling, and you'll see a more marked difference between the 20's and 30's. Or, for a more pleasant dip into the era of the 30's, watch the movie Oscar, with Stallone and then compare it with The Great Gatsby with Redford. ;)

Great commentary, Amjoie. I would agree with nearly all of this except to note that I think the concept of being "Bohemian" as we interpret it actually extends back to the mid-to-late 1800s, probably originating in France from their reference to gypsies. I associate the first Bohemians in terms of an artistic/literary counter-culture with the Impressionists (though it may pre-date them, too). It seems that the Beatniks, the hippies, and all wannabe Western manifestations since the turn of the 20th century have morphed from that romanticized base.
  • Options
    CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think it'll be a 1920's-1940's themed world with a Carnivale type theme, BUT the canoe hint was more for one of a "tunnel of love" type thing?
  • Options
    BernardDBernardD Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2013
    I hope it is a combo of the Amusement Park and the Glitz and Glam World. I wouldn't be very excited about either individually, but together it sounds interesting. Maybe this way they could satisfy more people at once. And for those waiting for the Neon Asian City, that's two worlds out of the way at once!
  • Options
    kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    edited November 2013
    *lurks*

Fun thread. :wink:
    Is this another hint :mrgreen:, I'm really hoping it's a theme park of some sort.

Dragon I know how much you have been wanting a Theme Park world with amusement rides, I do hope that this is what it is :D
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    SimGuruSparkle just favourited a tweet about a city world! :D

Oooooooooooh finally a City world!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    How super amazing would a City world with an Amusement Park Venue be?! We could finally put the Le Cirque Sets to good use! :D
    I am soooooooooooooooo excited!! :D:D

rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited November 2013
    Thrilling, track, Swell, Bee's knees, vintage sims.

Well anything new could be thrilling, so let's leave that to it just being new and big.

Track, could be a coaster, but give the reference to an earlier time, I say train.

Vintage sims, well that would be from TS1 early TS2 or, a new theme.

So, a venue that has a train and is mid century themed at the earliest.

Of course it could be a new rabbit hole that pops up text messages for thrilling things your sim did in there and, supposedly takes them back to an earlier time. LOL.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited November 2013
    One of my favorite artists is Erté, who was Art Deco through and through. If this is indeed an Art Decor world (one of my favorite styles FYI I have a few builds Art Deco heavy), that would be super neat :)

For those who do not know Erte he was born in Russia and changed his name to the sound of the translation of his first and last initials 'R' 'T' spoken in french. He made a career in art, fashion and design. When I use to draw I was heavily influenced by him and his depiction of ultra glamours and beautiful women and his unique style of art and fashion. He also used cultures and fantasy as influence.

athena.jpg!Blog.jpgasian-princess-1.jpg!Blog.jpgat-the-theatre-trapeze.jpg!Blog.jpgfeather-gown.jpg!Blog.jpg2406632896_8a4b5c06c2.jpgerte400.jpg
  • Options
    chopin27chopin27 Posts: 764 Member
    edited November 2013

How super amazing would a City world with an Amusement Park Venue be?! We could finally put the Le Cirque Sets to good use! :D

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited November 2013
    chopin27 wrote:

What is the pic in the background for that link? Is that a normal background for the Twitter page -- or something more than a hint?

I don't recognize this, but it sure looks "simish."

67577dbe66ad6c62c3a72f1a672d5d2f_zps6a4d51f1.jpg
  • Options
    CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited November 2013
    Thrilling, track, Swell, Bee's knees, vintage sims.

Well anything new could be thrilling, so let's leave that to it just being new and big.

Track, could be a coaster, but give the reference to an earlier time, I say train.

Vintage sims, well that would be from TS1 early TS2 or, a new theme.

So, a venue that has a train and is mid century themed at the earliest.

Of course it could be a new rabbit hole that pops up text messages for thrilling things your sim did in there and, supposedly takes them back to an earlier time. LOL.

rollar coasters are actually alot older than one might think. they go back to the 1800's.
  • Options
    Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited November 2013
    @amjoie

I don't play Bridgeport too often, because the city lags for me, but that looks like it.
  • Options
    SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    edited November 2013
    One of my favorite artists is Erté, who was Art Deco through and through. If this is indeed an Art Decor world (one of my favorite styles FYI I have a few builds Art Deco heavy), that would be super neat :)

For those who do not know Erte he was born in Russia and changed his name to the sound of the translation of his first and last initials 'R' 'T' spoken in french. He made a career in art, fashion and design. When I use to draw I was heavily influenced by him and his depiction of ultra glamours and beautiful women and his unique style of art and fashion. He also used cultures and fantasy as influence.
    [minus pictures]

OMG, HD! Erté! In this house, we LOVE Erte! We actually have several original Erté serigraphs. My husband was collecting them before we even met. We also have the "P" and the "C," "A," etc., for each of our initials, though we still haven't managed to get my "S." :lol: I think most of them were bought at galleries in San Francisco. Anyway, this "P" is in our bedroom:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdVyAvOnwb6c8TWYPQArYgSBWGPd5A4NTE8BC5Gg0GBVw28Cul
  • Options
    MissannMissann Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2013
    Update again!
    UPDATE! wE GOT A LIMERICK!
    (blimmin' caps lock)
    A secret I’m going to tell
    A city where vintage Sims dwell
    Be the bees knees
    When out with your squeeze
    The next world is going be swell

Does this mean Old Town, mentioned a few times in The Sims 2. Is this a continuation of the French Quarter Theme? 1920's Jazz

According to the Old Town: Starter Kit in The Sims 3 Store, The notes of a saxophonist might be heard spicing up Old Town amongst buildings that reference the colonial architecture of New Orleans. The Sims Historical Preservation Society (SHPS) is proud to restore these much-loved classics so that future generations can enjoy them.
    Old Town Window - Store - The Sims™ 3
    store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:...
    Old Town Window Own this window and you will think you are staying in a fancy hotel on the Bord de l'eau Quarter.
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited November 2013
    I can honestly say that the hint screams glitz and glam Art Deco.

Can't wait to see what it looks like, I'm quite intrigued.

Note:
    In regards to sparkles hint. It IS possible copelands hint might not be the world, but a roller coaster themed venue.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    samiam662 wrote:

[minus pictures]

OMG, HD! Erté! In this house, we LOVE Erte! We actually have several original Erté serigraphs. My husband was collecting them before we even met. We also have the "P" and the "C," "A," etc., for each of our initials, though we still haven't managed to get my "S." :lol: I think most of them were bought at galleries in San Francisco. Anyway, this "P" is in our bedroom:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdVyAvOnwb6c8TWYPQArYgSBWGPd5A4NTE8BC5Gg0GBVw28Cul

OMG jealous!!! ;D
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Missann wrote:
    Update again!
    UPDATE! wE GOT A LIMERICK!
    (blimmin' caps lock)
    A secret I’m going to tell
    A city where vintage Sims dwell
    Be the bees knees
    When out with your squeeze
    The next world is going be swell

Does this mean Old Town, mentioned a few times in The Sims 2. Is this a continuation of the French Quarter Theme? 1920's Jazz

According to the Old Town: Starter Kit in The Sims 3 Store, The notes of a saxophonist might be heard spicing up Old Town amongst buildings that reference the colonial architecture of New Orleans. The Sims Historical Preservation Society (SHPS) is proud to restore these much-loved classics so that future generations can enjoy them.
    Old Town Window - Store - The Sims™ 3
    store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:...
    Old Town Window Own this window and you will think you are staying in a fancy hotel on the Bord de l'eau Quarter.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I guess Old Town French Quarter could be possible too. I want French Quarter too so I ain't fretting :)
  • Options
    MissannMissann Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2013
    New Orleans does have a french quarter but also has Art Deco, streetcars and amusement parks (Carousel Gardens). Also has an awesome shopping atrium downtown.
  • Options
    chopin27chopin27 Posts: 764 Member
    edited November 2013
    amjoie wrote:

That's Bridgeport. :-)
  • Options
    organgrinder20porgangrinder20p Posts: 479 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Ok the limerick says city. So I think we can eliminate a flat farm world. The terms used sound like jive talk. So a Jazz or Art Deco world, would be a good guess. Tho a "Corny Island" could be just a Trolly ride away from the town. (P.S. Gurus I would like invisible tracks for my tractor, the dirt road messes up my plowed rows.) Corn!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,405 Member
    edited November 2013
    Ok the limerick says city. So I think we can eliminate a flat farm world. The terms used sound like jive talk. So a Jazz or Art Deco world, would be a good guess. Tho a "Corny Island" could be just a Trolly ride away from the town. (P.S. Gurus I would like invisible tracks for my tractor, the dirt road messes up my plowed rows.) Corn!

Remember there was a poll on Coney Island and it described carnival rides. The tilt o wheel,bumper cars and roller coasters were mentioned in that poll.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @amjoie

I don't play Bridgeport too often, because the city lags for me, but that looks like it.
    You are right Mistletoe, it is Bridgeport :)
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,405 Member
    edited November 2013

Awesome I've been wanting another city world as well however I'll still be dissapointed if there is no carnival.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    amjoie wrote:
    chopin27 wrote:

What is the pic in the background for that link? Is that a normal background for the Twitter page -- or something more than a hint?

67577dbe66ad6c62c3a72f1a672d5d2f_zps6a4d51f1.jpg

Just clarifying: it's the background of Tazreen's Twitter page. It's 100% definitely Bridgeport. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited November 2013
    Really hoping it's a 1920's or 30's vintage world. And that the carnival I don't want is optional PC. We so need more vintage stuff. Imagine the clothes, Downton Abbey meets Gatsby :D