Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which world should I play when my new desktop arrives?

As the title says, I've ordered a new desktop, which I should receive in the next week and a half or so! While I wait (so anxiously/excitedly) I'm wondering what world I should play in when it arrives!

Some things to consider:
-I just bought Seasons and Island Paradise, have not yet been able to play them (waiting for new desktop)
-I REALLY want to explore the Seasons features, even more so than the Island Paradise ones
-I want to play a world right now that "fits" with all four seasons. I guess an argument could be made for snow looking nice in a tropical world, I don't know...
-I have barely been able to explore Appaloosa Plains (or Pets in general)
-I have not played in Bridgeport in years (Late Night was uninstalled, will be installed again with my new desktop)

Worlds I own:
Sunset Valley
Twinbrook
Bridgeport
Starlit Shores
Isla Paradiso
Moonlight Falls
Appaloosa Plains
Store worlds:
Riverview
Barnacle Bay
Lunar Lakes
Sunlit Tides
Lucky Palms
Hidden Springs
Dragon Valley
Aurora Skies

Another question: what happens with festival lots? Are they automatically placed in the world? Are they different for each world? Do I have to make/download my own?

Any recommendations on which world to play first would make me happy! If you want to post any screenshots, feel free :)

Comments

• Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited November 2013
    Ironically, a thread about which worlds people prefer is right below this one.

Festival lots are treated exactly like any other community lot. You may choose to build your own, but I personally just plop down one of EA's pre-built ones, which will be available under the Community Lots section when you Edit Town.

Riverview is incredibly underrated.I wouldn't use Lunar Lakes, Isla Paradiso, or Barnacle Bay since you mentioned the desire of traditional seasonal scenery.
  • Options
    Jojo777Jojo777 Posts: 21,909 Member
    edited November 2013
    MinDtriKz wrote:

Festival lots are treated exactly like any other community lot. You may choose to build your own, but I personally just plop down one of EA's pre-built ones, which will be available under the Community Lots section when you Edit Town.

Riverview is incredibly underrated.I wouldn't use Lunar Lakes, Isla Paradiso, or Barnacle Bay since you mentioned the desire of traditional seasonal scenery.

Oh wow, I laugh at my timing, I'll go read that also! :)

And thanks for the advice. I haven't played Riverview in so long, that may be a good choice...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Jojo777 wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:

Oh wow, I laugh at my timing, I'll go read that also! :)

And thanks for the advice. I haven't played Riverview in so long, that may be a good choice...

Several people are using that world currently, despite having other (more expensive) worlds. For a free download, I think it is really, really good.

There's a ton of custom player-made worlds people have mentioned in that thread if that's your cup of tea. Also: I don't play with any snow on, ever, so ignore my response in that thread... :P
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited November 2013
    jojo!

so exciting and you havent played seasons yet - well i hope you cleared your schedule :)

appalossa plains is a favorite on mine but whatever world you choose u can have your family visit IP island

• Options
    LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think all the worlds have something different to offer. For EA worlds that already come with the game, Sunset Valley and Twinbrook are beautiful during each season, what with all the greenery, changing leaves, snow, and scenery. For store worlds, I like Hidden Springs and Riverview. All four of those worlds are perfect to play Seasons in.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2013
    Riverview is one of my favorites too. But which world I want to play in depends on what I plan to do. If I'm playing a self-employed angler, as I was before I got Late Night and put that game on hold, I don't want him having to catch all his saltwater fish in a fish hatchery. It's not realistic. Commercial fishermen DO NOT fish in fish hatcheries! So I opted for Sunset Valley for that family.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    I would advise you to look at empty worlds to avoid the terrible glitching out populated EA ones always get if the population isn't taken out first.I'm playing Winfield right now and it starts off empty without lots when you start a new game in it ,but I'm still testing that one and it appears to be still working and my old save is too.I can link you to a few high quality festival lots to download and to where you can find some very high quality worlds to try out though I find empty ones are the safest ones.
    download links for festival lots: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7695015
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7651308
    link for best worlds: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/560053.page
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    TadOlson wrote:
    I would advise you to look at empty worlds to avoid the terrible glitching out populated EA ones always get if the population isn't taken out first.

You've said this many times, and I can't help but wonder what kind of glitching you're getting. I've never removed any sims from any EA worlds, but I've never had any significant glitching that I could attribute to population size.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    IreneSwift wrote:
    TadOlson wrote:
    I would advise you to look at empty worlds to avoid the terrible glitching out populated EA ones always get if the population isn't taken out first.

You've said this many times, and I can't help but wonder what kind of glitching you're getting. I've never removed any sims from any EA worlds, but I've never had any significant glitching that I could attribute to population size.

I was just about to type this. No need to repeat yourself in so many threads, TadOlson. EA worlds aren't glitchy or bugged, in fact some of the store worlds are downright amazing.
  • Options
    emma78888emma78888 Posts: 240 Member
    edited November 2013
    I have to agree, I have never emptied the worlds out and never had any issues with population (I do tend to use the story progression mod and I think that manages the population size for me)

I love the EA worlds and tend to stick with them :)They are more stable for me.
  • Options
    my1helopilotmy1helopilot Posts: 1,487 Member
    edited November 2013
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    IreneSwift wrote:
    TadOlson wrote:

I was just about to type this. No need to repeat yourself in so many threads, TadOlson. EA worlds aren't glitchy or bugged, in fact some of the store worlds are downright amazing.

I've played with EA Worlds as is and I have also removed everyone and I have seen no difference with playing an EA World with EA's premade Sims or with my own custom Sims. The World plays exactly the same .. no better .. no worse.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Most of the player-made worlds I've downloaded and taken a look at have been big disappointments. They are too empty, and I'm not really talking about buildings or lots. As a die-hard lover of nature, I love the "natural" beauty EA puts into their worlds. A world relatively devoid of vegetation or natural formations, like the waterfall in Sunset Valley, and the beautiful views along Redwood Parkway, just doesn't appeal to me. And that goes as much for some of the ones that I see being constantly recommended here, as for some of the ones nobody ever talks about. Maybe all those trees, and shrubs, and rocks, and waterfalls, and flying birds make them more prone to lag or glitches than worlds without them, I really don't know, but I'd rather risk lag over emptiness any day.
  • Options
    Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited November 2013
    My top two tied for fave world yet are lucky palms and dragon valley...lots of room for adding all those EP lots! ;) though, midnight hollow is one I'm playing a lot right now, just cause it's a nice chage of pace. IP is really the only world to enjoy all the IP water stuff (excluding player created ones, of course) but I think snow would look kinda silly there. So, I'd say maybe dv, if you're wanting to really enjoy the seasons stuff. :)

As for festival lots...all the EP worlds come with matching lots in the bin, it will prompt you to replace the park with the festival version the first time you play a new game in one of them. The store worlds have matching lots too, but you have to grab those off the exchange and place them yourself. Pretty sure it's simgurusmitty who made all of those, but I could be wrong!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    I've only had bed glitching with EA worlds if I left the population there or EA's SP on and having both makes it a lot worse,but I still like EA worlds for some games if the world was emptied out first before I start playing in it.I do play custom worlds and one of my favorites is Winfield which I worked on in CAW and had to test.I've fallen in love with it because it starts out without anything and you place the lots yourself and move your own Sims in manually.I can't rely on EA's SP to help move Sims in because I always keep it off even in my custom world and I don't mind the game not moving Sims in for me because I'll do for myself when I'm ready.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks so much, everyone!! I appreciate all the advice :)

I'm a bit wary of player-made worlds. I'm sure some are amazing, but for now I think I'll play in one of the worlds I already have. I once emptied out Sunlit Tides to add my own sims, and I didn't see any real difference in terms of lag :)

Riverview or Hidden Springs might be fun because I haven't played either in a while. Dragon Valley is another good idea because I haven't had much chance to explore it yet. Something in me is also saying that going back to classic Sunset Valley could be fun for first exploring Seasons.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh, and I do use SP mod. I'll have to check if that's updated for the newest patch. But I'm going to play for at least a little without it to make sure it runs fine without the mod.
  • Options
    RedSwiftie13RedSwiftie13 Posts: 478 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Out of the worlds I don't have I'd play either Bridgeport or Aurora Skies because I know this is irrelevant but I like the look of them both ;)
    Out of the worlds I do own I;'d probably pick Moonlight Falls
  • Options
    DangerDangerDangerDanger Posts: 5,327 Member
    edited November 2013
    Go with the one you've played the least! Be adventurous, Jojo!
    Hi. I'm Danger. I like spaceships, Pringles, and cats. I dislike fruits and vegetables, sunlight, and the motion picture Titanic. I do not own a sword, nor do I know how to draw unicorns. As you can see, I don't have much to offer the world.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

That would probably be Barnacle Bay. But now that I'm reinstalling Late Night I don't want all the sims to be celebrities (stupid Barnacle Bay bug) :?

Actually, I've also barely played in Aurora Skies, Dragon Valley, Lunar Lakes, Appaloosa Plains, Isla Paradiso (given I didn't own it till just now), and Bridgeport (Late Night has been uninstalled for at least two years).
  • Options
    DangerDangerDangerDanger Posts: 5,327 Member
    edited November 2013
    Jojo777 wrote:

That would probably be Barnacle Bay. But now that I'm reinstalling Late Night I don't want all the sims to be celebrities (stupid Barnacle Bay bug) :?

Actually, I've also barely played in Aurora Skies, Dragon Valley, Lunar Lakes, Appaloosa Plains, Isla Paradiso (given I didn't own it till just now), and Bridgeport (Late Night has been uninstalled for at least two years).

Well Bridgeport will be crap for animals, so you might want to pass on that if you are still exploring Pets. So let's toss that out. ;)

Isla Paradiso you might as well wait on since you already said you want to experience the Seasons pack first.

Lunar Lakes doesn't really lend itself well to Seasons.

Aurora Skies is pretty and I like playing there, but you have to download the festival lot and it's kind of dingy in comparison to the in-game ones.

Dragon Valley is my least played world so I have no idea on that one.

Appaloosa Plains - might be a good place to start, since it's got everything you are looking for. ;)
    Hi. I'm Danger. I like spaceships, Pringles, and cats. I dislike fruits and vegetables, sunlight, and the motion picture Titanic. I do not own a sword, nor do I know how to draw unicorns. As you can see, I don't have much to offer the world.
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited November 2013
    SP mod is updated now, I have it in my game. Riverview looks pretty with snow, and has space for animals if you're still into pets. Never tried Dragon Valley in snow, I got it right before something else I really wanted (cows I think) so only played it for a few days, then got distracted. Moonlight Falls is lovely all year round.

The celebrity system makes no sense. I have a sim with literally no friends, the only people she knows are her small daughter, and her new husband (she's always been a stay at home mum, and only met the husband through an opportunity). And yet she just became a level 2 celebrity. Weird.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited November 2013
    oh if u use nraas then see if register is updated if so you can remove celebrity status or can u already do that with SP?

and i agree with dangerdanger be adventurous :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    SP mod is updated now, I have it in my game. Riverview looks pretty with snow, and has space for animals if you're still into pets. Never tried Dragon Valley in snow, I got it right before something else I really wanted (cows I think) so only played it for a few days, then got distracted. Moonlight Falls is lovely all year round.

The celebrity system makes no sense. I have a sim with literally no friends, the only people she knows are her small daughter, and her new husband (she's always been a stay at home mum, and only met the husband through an opportunity). And yet she just became a level 2 celebrity. Weird.

Yeah, that's part of why I had the game uninstalled so long! I didn't want EVERY sim of mine to end up being a celebrity. Now that I'm installing it again, I'll have to use one of Twallan's mods to deal with it :)

I'm thinking Appaloosa Plains right now, because I really haven't had the chance to explore it at all yet... but I may end up going with Moonlight Falls because that EP is relatively recent for me too (had it since July) and I love Supernaturals soo much :)

Or Riverview, or Dragon Valley, and I want to get back to Bridgeport at some point...

I'm still have decisiveness issues :lol:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ceejay402 wrote:
    oh if u use nraas then see if register is updated if so you can remove celebrity status or can u already do that with SP?

and i agree with dangerdanger be adventurous :)

I'll have to check that one out, that's one of the mods I've never used! Thanks :)
  • Options
    Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited November 2013
    Jojo777 wrote:

Yeah, that's part of why I had the game uninstalled so long! I didn't want EVERY sim of mine to end up being a celebrity. Now that I'm installing it again, I'll have to use one of Twallan's mods to deal with it :)

I'm thinking Appaloosa Plains right now, because I really haven't had the chance to explore it at all yet... but I may end up going with Moonlight Falls because that EP is relatively recent for me too (had it since July) and I love Supernaturals soo much :)

Or Riverview, or Dragon Valley, and I want to get back to Bridgeport at some point...

I'm still have decisiveness issues :lol:

They have fixed that, jojo! You can now choose to opt your active household out of the celebrity system! (I haven't had one of mine become a celeb since, lol)