Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Graphics, Good? Or Bad?

Hey Guys,

I know before we had the final graphics of the game people were arguing which graphics would be best for the game, and now that we know what the graphics will look like, do you guys still like them? Or still hate them?

Comments

• Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't know that we do have final graphics yet. A lot can change in a year. I do like the way the Sims themselves look and always have but I don't think we've gotten any good shots of the rest of the graphics yet. They all seem fuzzy or flat to me and I doubt they will be that way once the game is released. At least, I hope not! :shock:

Happy Simming! It's the weekend!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Yep! That's all I plan on doing this weekend ;D

But, I don't know if they actually can change the graphics this late into the process. I do like how the sims look, just not the hair, that just looks really bad in my opinion. I didn't really look at any of the other objects however.
  • Options
    agough111agough111 Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2013
    I love them. I think the fact that the hair is inanimate and flat is perfect- no pesky animations to mess with the game. And I like the channeling of cartoonish and realistic that they've done. With these graphics that aren't too elaborate, EA can focus on improving gameplay features, enhancing transportational animations, etcetera.
  • Options
    MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Yep, I agree with you. If the gameplay is AMAZING, then the game will be perfect
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited November 2013
    They're not going to change much this late in the game. I'm not a fan. They look like improved Sims Freeplay sims.

If I'm giving up looks for substance and stability in gameplay, then I'm a happy camper.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think they look amazing. The cartoony with a touch of realism is the perfect style for the franchise. It's definitely an improvement from 3, especially looking at lighting and shadows. With this style, they can get away with much more of the maxis humor and charm.
  • Options
    SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited November 2013
    I love the looks of the sims 4 sims! It cute. Just my opinon.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited November 2013
    I'm okay with the graphics. I would prefer great gameplay to different graphics. I don't want them to look too real.
    What I saw of the world looked good to me too.

I would like a different type of hair but can live with what they have shown us.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited November 2013
    Eyelashes and non-painted on eyebrows would be great. I think I'll be VERY cc heavy come Sims 4
  • Options
    simmadness24simmadness24 Posts: 828 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think they look great. I think it gives them a bit of sims 1 and 2 mixed together with a bit of TS3 background and movement. I can't wait to play.
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited November 2013
    Someone posted a ts3/ts4 comparison and I couldn't help but notice a couple of BIG things...

Textures are sharper, and not as blurry/smudgy as TS3 which tells of a higher resolution
      The lips aren't so jagged/smooshed where they crease at the edges (I really hated that)

So far, the models are looking 10x better/smoother! :wink:
  • Options
    rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2013
    We have not really seen game play to make a comparision! ( grammer police , here I am). I know that I may not adhere to typical gameplay, but I do like it to look somewhat realistic. I know that they are pixilated People and that is fine. I just want the graphics to look great.

I unlike most , still love the way the Sims3 , looks. It only takes a little work to get rid of the Pudding faces. These Sims seem to become family after awhile. I will agree that the all over aspect of the Sims3, can drive a person insane. "Like" when your Sim is out on a date.....say , you kiss. Well if you have ever Kissed another Sim in your Lifetime....then your are either considered a cheater or Naughty.Life is not like that. We need to get rid of the celebrity type of sim , or greatly modify it.

My main point is that the graphics is BAD. ....We will have to wait and see about game play. I have seen both versions of the Sims4 in CAS and in their Demo, they look better in CAS.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2013
    If what pictures we have seen that are from the actual game are the actual way the game looks then it's a no.

I just can't play a game that won't have textures of grass, tree trunks, and or on furitnre. No matter how I look at it it reminds me of an online game, period.

The Sim is OK but the hair is the hair because of the style. I can see many styles I wouldn't use because it looks like Medussa tresses coming out of their heads..sorry can't help it. It's really horrible hair.

Then if I think my Sim is living in a world where I can't count the grass blades like I have been able to do since TS1..sorry...no.

I think it looks like water colors..and no depth when I see an outdoor screen shot. Where are the textures in the grass? Have you seen them? No.

So, if you all think that is good enough, o.k...but not for me.

ETA: OP, once you see something you can't un-see it. If you have an eye for detail then things become more revelant to a person who does. You can look at a tree in TS4 and think..wow that's pretty..but a person with an eye for detail starts actually seeing the tree and taking it apart. This is how artists first learn to draw exactly what they 'see'.

Once you learn this technique you can't unsee something. You begin to see every little hump, bump, and or line etc...and TS4 tree trunks are nothing but some paint smeared on the trunks. Much like water color.

Once you see there is something graphically wrong with how the Sim turns it;s arm and things look out of sync at the elbow etc... you can't un see it. Perhaps it is a bad shirt mesh..(that happens you know) but still the eye goes straight to that spot on the Sim and it can't be forgotten. The reason we don't download bad CC from modders..because it sometimes warps the Sims limbs and or twist them into a funny arm or leg position etc. And I have seen that already in TS4..so if that is the final mesh or textures for clothes, trees, grass, hair...etc...I can't un see what I have seen..
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2013
    Bad.
    And since:

1. graphics are part of the Sims gameplay for me
    2. I'm totally spoiled by what they gave me in 3
    3. I'm not willing to take a step backwards

my opinion on this won't change if the graphics won't.
    The fact that I dislike the looks of the sims doesn't help eighter.
    But of course I wish everyone with a different point of view a happy time with Sims 4.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't think we have the final grphics yet but from what I have seen so far? I prefer TS3 graphics :lol: TS4 looks more like TS2 and I don't like those sims much
  • Options
    GreyWindGreyWind Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2013
    Bad.
    And since:

But of course I wish everyone with a different point of view a happy time with Sims 4.
    This!
  • Options
    jus1nickiejus1nickie Posts: 360 Member
    edited November 2013
    Good but room for improvement. TS4 graphics are not final yet, we still have a whole year to wait. It already looks smoother than TS3 from what we have seen in my opinion.
  • Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Personally, I'm not happy going from TS3 hair to TS4 hair. It just looks too blocky, that's like a step back. Not good. Everything else is fine, I guess, but the hair has to change.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited November 2013
    Good, and not a step back.

It's a different art style, and it is a more simplified one. But that doesn't make it bad. Here's something I discovered today; this is the Wordsworth Classics, 1993 published, front cover of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I've never read the book, and I have no intention to ( :P ) , but it's perfect for the point I want to make.

gatsby.jpg

Now that cover is clearly a very simplified art style. But you wouldn't call it bad; it's just more simplified. TS4 is very much the same; it's not bad, it's just a more simplified art style. Why? Because simple is what's "in" just now, when it comes to graphical styles.

For example, Windows 7 to Windows 8:
    windows-7-logo.png"width=320height=240win8logo.png"width=320height=240

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited November 2013
    I kind of like them so far, but I have not seen much of them. I can't really tell until we get some more pictures and see them in game play so to say.
    but what I have seen I like them, I think they are cute. They kind of grow on you.
    And as you well know, EA has never made the best looking sims, just look at the Sims they put in the Sims 3 game, you would think that a 3 yr old dressed them.
    Also with the ability to shape your sim in all ways, I can't wait, I am sure simmers will make some very neat sims, they will not all kind of look alike. Can't wait to get my hands on that. I am really excited by that.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    edited November 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:

It's a different art style, and it is a more simplified one. But that doesn't make it bad. Here's something I discovered today; this is the Wordsworth Classics, 1993 published, front cover of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I've never read the book, and I have no intention to ( :P ) , but it's perfect for the point I want to make.

gatsby.jpg

Now that cover is clearly a very simplified art style. But you wouldn't call it bad; it's just more simplified. TS4 is very much the same; it's not bad, it's just a more simplified art style. Why? Because simple is what's "in" just now, when it comes to graphical styles.

Couldn't have said it better. People act like it's a downgrade just because it's simplified. If you actually look close to the sims, you'll see they are much more refined and smooth.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited November 2013
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    Eyelashes and non-painted on eyebrows would be great. I think I'll be VERY cc heavy come Sims 4

This is how I feel too. I just hope they make the game cc friendly.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:

gatsby.jpg

Couldn't have said it better. People act like it's a downgrade just because it's simplified. If you actually look close to the sims, you'll see they are much more refined and smooth.

The reason I have a computer and not a coloring book is so I can see the depth of the windows logo. :wink: If I wanted the graphic look of Windows 8's logo window..I would switch..but no thanks...simple or not (usage) it reminds me of Windows Paint program picture..flat, no depth, return to 1990...my eyes need more....depth, 3 Dimensions, shadows, textures...who really thinks the new, I mean old windows logo on the bottom (flat one) is more eye pleasing than the one at top..really?

I would not pay for that flat image...I can do that in a coloring book and paste it to my screen... :mrgreen:

Or use Windows Paint which has very little depth features and paste it to the screen saver...boring...is all I can say when looking at the 'old' I mean 'new' image of the Windows Logo.

Calum, you should read the book..lot of life in that book, surprised it wasn't one of the book lists younger people had to read in Eng. Lit...as a great classic requirement...oh, well...the time's are a changing. :wink:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited November 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:

gatsby.jpg

That's a very elegant picture. It looks sort of Art Nouveau.

There's a problem with Sims 4 (and partially Sims 3). Neither look particularly elegant. Sims 4 looks even worse in this respect.

I think when dealing with a 3d game, one has to be mindful that you're not dealing with a drawing or animation. The game is simulating a 3D world with meshes, camera movements and shading. Treating it as a drawing might lead to some rather awkward graphics.
  • Options
    SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited November 2013
    Bad.
    And since:

Same here. Well, almost.

I love realistic graphics too, and will miss them, but I'll bet EA will greatly improve the quality of the animations
    and give us a revolutionary gameplay. So I think we'll be seeing more life-like sims regardless of their choppy look.

Have some faith. Electronic Arts has many years of experience in this franchise.
    They should have some clue on what makes a good Sims game by now.
    Like you said, they spoiled us with TS3. And it kept getting better with time. Let's hope the trend continues!

I could be wrong of course. A lot of bad rumors are circulating.
    Wider audience targeted, inspired by Facebook games, no CAS, dumbed down gameplay, etc...

Time will tell.