Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on a few ideas

Well I know there might be a heated debate and argument on this but I think Sims 4 should try and make transgender sims possible, I mean I know some people have probably struggled with being transgender but I don't think it's a bad idea to put into the game.. though it might be complicated. But maybe just the somehow acknowledgement that a sim can be transgender is a plus?

I also feel weird about talking about this but I know sims in the past could be together whether they were female / female or male / male but in a confusing way it seems they didn't totally acknowledge that the sims were gay.. if that makes sense? Like I know it's a game and nothings advanced but there should be something acknowledging the fact that a sim or yours can be gay. But unlike real life there doesn't of course have to be discrimination of it, because who wants a game that does that?

I don't know it's just an idea, sorry for touching a sensitive subject.

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    What you are seeing with the gay sims is pretty much a realistic portrayal of how equality actually works for humans.

When groups are equal... people generally don't talk about it. They don't think about it. The equality just... is. There's no need to use any energy on it at all; it just exists.

That's the point all of these groups in real life talking about remembering the history of discrimination and talking all of the time about equality have missed... and why those groups ultimately are the biggest obstacle to equality and ultimately prevent a lot of the problems they were created to solve from ever being solved.

So... why bother with the acknowledgements and such? The ability to change sex can be added without any issues (for those who wish to argue otherwise, check out Fable 2). Just don't need to talk about why.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm not understanding how you want the game to acknowledge a Sim is gay?
    Or do you mean other Sims should acknowledge a Sim is gay?

I don't agree because that labels Sims. Without getting any arguments started how do you want another Sim to 'know' a Sim is gay? Wear a badge that says..'hey I'm gay?'

Isn't that what would really be going on if they do implement ways for other Sims to know another Sim is gay. Shouldn't being equal just mean no one has to point it out, no one knows either way, we are just people...? We shouldn't have to jump up and say 'I'm straight, hey, I'm gay'...don't you think?

If the game is 'equal' then Sims won't care or even acknowledge either one...and I think that is a good thing...they are just 'people' and why want the game to label them to where other Sims are telling each other hey so and so is gay..or get a thought bubble so and so is gay etc.

I find that kind of strange for people to want labels on themselves. How about Human? no one should be defined imho by their sexuality..that isn't the whole of a person, and neither should it define their entire lives as a whole..not even for Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2013
    What worries me is that this would be very difficult to include without being disrespectful.

Firstly the issue of transgender sims. Would this be an option in CAS? I mean If so then they would have to look the same as regular m/f sims otherwise you are implying that transgender people look odd which is completely wrong. But if they look the same then what value does this add the game? Will they automatically be unable to conceive? If we make an option at the hospital to change gender then it becomes a very serious lifestyle choice, often born out a depression about a person's identity. We DO NOT want to start trivializing depression, infertility and idenity issues in a game that doesn't take itself that seriously.

Secondly, to have a box in CAS for sexual preference wouldn't bother me. It's an alright idea actually. The problem I have is, for example, my child ages up to a teen and I have to choose if they like girls or boys or both. This implies that your sexuality is a choice and it will ofend some people. Will gay sims start acting differently then? Will they be overly camp so our sims know they're not in with a chance?

I really don't think this is a good idea. The subtlety ts3 has is perfect. If you want to make a sim change genders now you can with a cheat. This is the best way to avoid hurting people imo.
  • Options
    MajinKitty230MajinKitty230 Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2013
    I understand where everyone's coming from and about the labels and such, but it's only an idea guys, it's not like they'd actually PUT every single idea into the game. But I was trying to word it best I could to make sense, but I guess that failed.

Sorry if anyone got offended but that's just my idea [first post] of a little thing that could be in the game but now as I read the comments I don't like the idea myself. I didn't really think of the whole gay thing or transgender thing thoroughly enough. So for the future sorry if I offend you guys.
  • Options
    AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2013
    No offense taken op. I think that it's important that these things are discussed. The game is a simulated reality after all and everyone's reality is different and shold be considered and respected. The problem is where to stop with giving equal representation in the game. We might then one day be talking about disability and disfigurements being represented in-game and therein lies a whole other discussion..
  • Options
    lpmartinlpmartin Posts: 163
    edited October 2013
    I understand where everyone's coming from and about the labels and such, but it's only an idea guys, it's not like they'd actually PUT every single idea into the game. But I was trying to word it best I could to make sense, but I guess that failed.

Sorry if anyone got offended but that's just my idea [first post] of a little thing that could be in the game but now as I read the comments I don't like the idea myself. I didn't really think of the whole gay thing or transgender thing thoroughly enough. So for the future sorry if I offend you guys.

No offense taken, friend. :)