Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is this a known thing or is it just me?

I have had a couple people contact me and say that a world I made a couple months ago ( http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7236241) is telling them they must have an update to insall it but they already have their game updated to the current patch. These people have downloaded it from a mediafire file rather than the exchange.

Has anyone else run into this or is it unique issue? (surely it isnt?)
Any advice or ideas would be very much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited September 2013
    This happens to me on occassion when I download from the exchange.I always use save file but when it happens I can usually go back and just opt for the add to game option and get a successful install.I did try to download this world and received the need to update error message and honestly just never got back around to trying again.I really don't think it is anything you have or haven't done it is just a quirk of the exchange.Give me a bit and let me save and exit my current game and give it a go again.

ETA-Save File gave me the installation failed please make sure your game has the latest software updates message,and Add to game was successful.I'm not sure what causes it to do that on some things.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2013
    I have been seeing that myself in worlds with save files and store content is in the save file. It should not be a problem for me because I have the whole store just about - just a few pieces of the earliest clothing that did not come in sets am I missing - maybe at most 20 items of clothing and clothing should not be an issue in a save anyway - so I don't know what is up with that as I am also up to date with Origin, adobe flash player, all my drivers, and the store updates as well as all the game updates. I would guess it is just some problem to do with store content being in the world. As some people are still having issues uploading worlds if they have store content. Now if there is no store content in that save file - then it is a new issue I have not seen.

ETA - Just to add - it is not all store content either as I do have plenty of worlds with store content in them. Like I have had no issues at all downloading and installing Rflongs newest world that has loads of store content. I keep wondering if it is just certain sets - as I have had trouble with the newest India set and trying to get sims that are wearing those outfits into my game - yet I had no problem downloading a restaurant made using both India sets decor and furnishings. I own all the India stuff so I have no understanding why this is. Also a couple of the classical sets which are just furniture - even though I own them if the world has this stuff in it I get that need to update thing.

Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    I have been seeing that myself in worlds with save files and store content is in the save file. It should not be a problem for me because I have the whole store just about - just a few pieces of the earliest clothing that did not come in sets am I missing - maybe at most 20 items of clothing and clothing should not be an issue in a save anyway - so I don't know what is up with that as I am also up to date with Origin, adobe flash player, all my drivers, and the store updates as well as all the game updates. I would guess it is just some problem to do with store content being in the world. As some people are still having issues uploading worlds if they have store content. Now if there is no store content in that save file - then it is a new issue I have not seen.

ETA - Just to add - it is not all store content either as I do have plenty of worlds with store content in them. Like I have had no issues at all downloading and installing Rflongs newest world that has loads of store content. I keep wondering if it is just certain sets - as I have had trouble with the newest India set and trying to get sims that are wearing those outfits into my game - yet I had no problem downloading a restaurant made using both India sets decor and furnishings. I iwn all the India stuff so I have no understanding why this is. Also a couple of the classical sets which are just furniture - even though I own them if the world has this stuff in it I get that need to update thing.

This world doesnt have any store stuff in it...I actually uninstalled all store stuff while I was working on it just to be sure...lol. Sounds like from what you and Green said, its a known thing and justa glitch, which does make me feel somewhat better. :)

Thank you both so much for taking the time to read and answer...you have been very helpful and I am appreciative. :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yeah it has been a real pain figuring out how to download worlds everytime we get a game update. So just tell people if the install to game gives them that - then tell them to try the save download and save it to their desktop, then place the file in their download folder and doubleclick it from there. If there is no store content it should not even hesitate that one or the other method should work.

I also think the only reason there is an issue with the store content is because of the way the files has doubled in size since the IP update and if a player like me owns the store it is just too much for the installer to handle. I have had good luck when a download does fail is go through my DCcache folder and delete the duplicate temp file that is now added since the OP update - even though it will come back once you are playing - deleting just those temp files seems to put less a burden on the launcher and then it will install the world using either the install or save feature from the exchange. If all else fails you can upload a copy to mediafire or some other share file program until EA gets around to fixing the darn thing. Lord knows enough people have complained. As the glitchiness seems to be the exchange with the installer and not the world with the installer.

But yes it is a glitchy problem.

ETA that extra file in the dccache is supposed to keep us from losing our store content - so it basically duplicates everything and that file listed as a temp file can be safely deleted as they have it programmed to reinstall it self when we are loading the game and they hope people will not lose their store content any more. It is just creating a headache though for many creators because CAW does not handle that much content well at all either - so uit is not only an exchange issue - it is also playing havoc with CAW if a creator actually wants to use all their store content.

But as you say you don't use the store stuff so it is then probably the downloaders issue with the exchange and the fact they do have their store content in. I am hoping EA is trying to figure out how to make the launcher and caw handle that double file - but they probably won't fix it with Sims 3 wrapping and all. It would be nice though if they did.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited September 2013
    it has said this to me for years now(even for my own uploads)...i have always patched...when it becomes available...

Its a website problem...not them...one that has never been fixed...