Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bounding Boxes & Paint

I have 3 red boxes. After a careful look at each, I can say with great confidence that I did NOT use more than 8 paints while terrain painting.

My understanding was the box borders turn red if you have more than 8 paints in a box. I've used 2 rock and 3 grass type paints for most of the terrain. Beach areas have another +1. And in one box I went as high as 7.

Even with that one 7 paints box, I should still be ok, but I'm not.

Are there other things that can turn a bounding box red?

Here's another question. I, of course, used imported community lots from both myself and the game. I pulled one favorite house from each town as well. Are the paints inside those lots counted? If so, that could be the problem.

Comments

• Options
    thetideschangingthetideschanging Posts: 250 New Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm not 100 % on this, but I don't think it's the lots. Did you ever use a texture and hit undo, or use a texture and then put another on top of it? Something you can do to see is in the terrain panting window clock the checkbox that says visualize layer.
    CAW_zpsca30c12f.png
    It will show the intensity of that layer in a scale from black to white. The particular layer I selected is used to cover the entire world so it is white all over. If there is none of that particular layer in the world it the ground will just be a normal color. If there is any of that layer used the ground will be black - white. You can move the color slider above the checkbox down to zero and just go over anywhere you want to get rid of a layer.

You can go through and count how many layers make the chunk boundary black to count how many layers are actually used. I hope this helps and that my explanation makes sense!
  • Options
    whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    edited August 2013
    Chunk Boundary, gah. That's what I get for posting while morning coffee is brewing instead of after I've had some...so much for 🐸🐸🐸🐸 threads to be compatible with searches by other people.

This is awesome info. Ty. I will go over it.

I did paint over an area where I tested my palette to see what I wanted in the world...and to figure out my brushes and blending. At least one area is probably counting that mess of 2 dozen or so paints buried beneath my initial 100/100 layer of green. And it also means I need to add +2 for the original washed out green and rock the world started with. I didn't think it would still count those original paints once they were overrided by a 100/100 paint.
  • Options
    thetideschangingthetideschanging Posts: 250 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Yeah unfortunately with CAW there is no over riding a texture by placing another one over it. I found that out when I first using CAW and almost all of my chunk boundaries were red. Fortunately the visualize layer trick allows you to remove paint without having to redo all of your paint :) .
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2013
    As a word tester I can confirm that paints is the biggest cause of stutters and lag in a world and yes lots added can be a problem. It is probably a good idea to use the eraser and erase all paint on a lot - as paints actually shift everytime a lot goes through the launcher and moves them off to the right about a eigth to a quarter inch - which is another issue itself. But 9 times out of ten when I can find no other solution for the creator as to why their world lags and there is nothing in the world creating the lag - it has always came down to the paints. I also think the game counts the added walks even the tile type as paints when they are placed over a painted area. Right now as I speak I have discovered a lagging world we have been trying to track down the problems to and have found stone paint just under cobblestone tile and then grass and dirt paints on the same lot where grass or dirt was called for. Removing the stone tiles helped some which makes me think it is counting walks and road paving too as there is no way she has 8 paints on this lot. I did use the erase tool and erase all the paint on the lot and then put the tiles back and it seemed a lot better. That was just one big downtown lot - there were more downtown lots - also she mentioned having 3 red bounding boxes - so she is going to go strip that area and redo it. So I would fathom to tell you it is not just in the world but lots too. It was also in the lots in the previous world with lag caused solely for this reason and both times was the rabbithole downtown type lots. I know I have stripped everything else out of the world and the stutter lag persisted with no reduction. So there is not much else left but starter homes and boat docks - I even removed all the boats - but finally saw it lessen just redoing that one lot.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hi :)

No, paints on lots don't count to the 8 per box. :)

• Options
    edited August 2013
    But it did in Gems world Rflong - remember the trouble with all the center of Lothlorien and the cobblestone area. We removed all of that paint from both lots and the world to finally get the stutter to stop. This is showing to be a problem in Tammiejos world right now as I have just about stripped the world of everything else but docks, the rabbithole lots, the parks, and starter houses. There was no noticeable change until I stripped that City Hall lot. So lots are doing something.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    But it did in Gems world Rflong - remember the trouble with all the center of Lothlorien and the cobblestone area. We removed all of that paint from both lots and the world to finally get the stutter to stop. This is showing to be a problem in Tammiejos world right now as I have just about stripped the world of everything else but docks, the rabbithole lots, the parks, and starter houses. There was no noticeable change until I stripped that City Hall lot. So lots are doing something.

I have no idea about the stuttering but for the bounding boxes, the lot paint doesn't matter to that number. Well, it never has in the past, I should say. :(

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Yep that is why we had no clue it was a problem in Gems world if I recall she did not have any red bounding boxes - but with Tammie Jo's she is seeing red bounding boxes and says she has 5 colors and sure enough when I removed alt the cobblestone tiles off that big lot then used the eraser to erase the ground underneath I finally had some of the stutter start reducing - I had worked on that world all day and evening by the time I got to that stripping out things and trying to find the problem when I finally decided to start checking under the rabbit hole lots. So I have no clue what's going on but it made a difference and she has a good number of those downtown rabbitholes I didn't even get to yet. My eye were crossing after 6 hours in the afternoon and another 6 hour last night so I had to stop. I reported to her and she checked and sure enough has 3 red bounding boxes.

Perhaps it may just be a coincidence and she miscounted - but to me if she didn't miscount it is very interesting to see that nothing but this has lowered some of the stutter. I removed every user made lot - all boats - all even EA ST lots, bars with bartenders all car lots - you name it and not a wink of difference until I got to the rabbithole lots. Removing just the rabbitholes did nothing. Cleaning the lot of all paint and tile and then just replacing the tile and even the rabbitholes lessen the stutter.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Yep that is why we had no clue it was a problem in Gems world if I recall she did not have any red bounding boxes - but with Tammie Jo's she is seeing red bounding boxes and says she has 5 colors and sure enough when I removed alt the cobblestone tiles off that big lot then used the eraser to erase the ground underneath I finally had some of the stutter start reducing - I had worked on that world all day and evening by the time I got to that stripping out things and trying to find the problem when I finally decided to start checking under the rabbit hole lots. So I have no clue what's going on but it made a difference and she has a good number of those downtown rabbitholes I didn't even get to yet. My eye were crossing after 6 hours in the afternoon and another 6 hour last night so I had to stop. I reported to her and she checked and sure enough has 3 red bounding boxes.

Perhaps it may just be a coincidence and she miscounted - but to me if she didn't miscount it is very interesting to see that nothing but this has lowered some of the stutter. I removed every user made lot - all boats - all even EA ST lots, bars with bartenders all car lots - you name it and not a wink of difference until I got to the rabbithole lots. Removing just the rabbitholes did nothing. Cleaning the lot of all paint and tile and then just replacing the tile and even the rabbitholes lessen the stutter.

I can tell you I have one red bounding box- I know I have it and why. I needed just one more paint so I've kept it.

Now, I know I have many boxes with 8, I make sure to clean up my boxes to keep them under if I can....

See, the paints I'm using, a few are edited EA paints. Especially the main grass in Beach City- I edited an EA grass because they were either too light or too dark, now it's just right for me.
    So, when I put grass down on a lot I have to use an EA grass that's close. Which would put many boxes over the 8... and yet in CAW they're fine- no red lines.

I can't say if this contributes to the stuttering in my world. I haven't played it long since the last test... :(

*I'm sure you remember when we were figuring out how to check paints in boxes and I did find out how to tell which paints where in the box- back in the olden days. ;)
    I always forgot to bookmark posts back then. :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yep - add to that when they decide to recode and change t6he way things work - sometimes it does not help to even have some old info anyway. I still have a long ways to go in figuring out all the IP coding and even the world changes when the recoding Seasons on one of the patches - the one that broke CAW for a bit I think it was - so all these things may still play a part. But if I am lucky I will see enough difference to look deeper into it. If all else fails I go see the modders and see what new they have to talk about. It gives me clues to look for.

8 colors in nature is nothing - EA needed to figure out a way to increase that. Wonder how world builder for Maya is set?

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    edited August 2013
    And all my red borders are gone :)

I erased anything unused even if the border was blue, just in case there's a threshold factor or some such, given Reg's post.

Thx guys.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Excellent - I hope it helps - it should anyway.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Rflong13Rflong13 Posts: 682 Member
    edited August 2013
    Even EA's worlds have a few Chunks with more then 8... well, SSV does. :)

It's even been said that a few over 8 shouldn't be a problem.

I would love to check out this theory... did you go backwards with lot removal? Did you deconstruct the lot? ...

I have many- well, several of my worlds have at least one a few have two chunks with more than 8.

So, even if they changed things, I don't think having one or two paints more then the suggested number will cause lag. But, I could be wrong.

-LOL... got caught in my disguise! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Rflong13 wrote:
    Even EA's worlds have a few Chunks with more then 8... well, SSV does. :)

It's even been said that a few over 8 shouldn't be a problem.

I would love to check out this theory... did you go backwards with lot removal? Did you deconstruct the lot? ...

I have many- well, several of my worlds have at least one a few have two chunks with more than 8.

So, even if they changed things, I don't think having one or two paints more then the suggested number will cause lag. But, I could be wrong.
    (Plus, I'm not sure how many paints were on the lots) :(
    -LOL... got caught in my disguise! :lol:

*They're called Chunks Boundaries.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I deconstructed the lots a bit at a time once I got to the paint issue. When I was getting rid of large houses and such earlier I bulldozed - but seeing they made no difference, the issue was still there after bulldozing, then I didn't see a reason to further check those.

The only thing that lead me to deconstruct the rabbitholes was the fact I had gone through this before with 2 other worlds and the paint being an issue. Actually the issue was stone floor tiles on top of a number of paints on top of each other. The house lots were not like this.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Do you still have this lot?

I have never noticed lot paints blending together. They seem to erase the old one...

*http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/197825.page
    Found the post where we figured out the Chunks and how to know if the paints were removed.

*I'm not doubting you, I really want to understand what's happening. I use lots of paints, normally. And if it's just a few wrong paints on lots, I got to know and understand. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well the present one is in the world Tammie Jo has up for beta testing now. It's the islend where the rabbit hole lots are - it's those lots.

Gems had even worse studders because she had put the downtown type of cement over several layers of paint, and then painted on top of the cement on top of it. But Gem also was sure she had a lot more than 8 paints if I recall.

I don't have that test world as that was Gems first world - I had her remove everything in that section - all the paint where the downtow buildings were going to go, then place her cobblestone walks and every thing and the world has been fine since. She did not replace lots though, she rebult the whole thing new.

I have no idea what Tammy jo is doing yet if she is just cleaning the paints and replacing the lots in this area or doing the rabbithole fresh. But she said she was fixing it and does have the red bounding boxes.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Hey, just went hunting and found when I started seeing a like problem in Gems world -

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/165/260657.page

go to page 12 and go down until you see a long post by me - and I describes what I saw and you can follow our progress through this world until we finally got it fixed.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Hey, just went hunting and found when I started seeing a like problem in Gems world -

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/165/260657.page

go to page 12 and go down until you see a long post by me - and I describes what I saw and you can follow our progress through this world until we finally got it fixed.

Okay- so. This was an empty world that flashed another terrain color when placing lots... but there were no lots with paint on them.

Can you condense it... this isn't the same as the built lot with layers of paint and flooring that caused a problem. Unless you're saying that worlds with 8 layers of paint which include lot paints will cause stuttering. :shock:

How many layers did she have in the Chunk? Was that the problem?

Is it different to the other problem?

It starts at page 12 but there's 48 pages ... O.O

*That flash of another terrain paint isn't new and doesn't always happen on chunks with more then 8 layers... I've seen it without any rhyme or reason linking that I've noticed(but I've not been writing it down when it happens[I will now]).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    *Okay- I read a couple pages and it looked like using the World Editor and a CC problem? :(
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No she was in CAW when she built the world, but what she started us testing was the save game, as she decided to install all the buildings in the save - but the save was freeze after freeze after freeze. It just was not playable. It was worse than a stutter. So I tried a lot of things and could not get the save playable. Finally I told her I was dumping the save and just testing the empty world. The world had all the lots in place and even wrote on each one what it was supposed to have on the lot - so I took and downloaded every single lot she had made planning to put them in place in my own save one at a time.

But to start with I wanted to just test the world itself so I moved a sim into an empty lot and started checking out the whole world. The world was finished just nothing had been added to the lots. All décor was in place there were even the backlot trailers in one area, all the trees were in place - and all lots either had grass, asphalt, dirt, or stone. I believe she was having a similar problem with EIG as you guys were having with it crashing and stuff, why she did not install the lots with EIG and went with the save. So it was easy enough for me to try one lot at a time - just time consuming as there were hundreds of lots. The world is I believe as big as a world can be.

But I never really got to loading any lots because when I was checking each area on ground level with my sims and making sure there was nothing wrong with décor or roads and such I started seeing that flashing issue going on in the center of the world - so I started looking into that. What she had was all the terraine paints done - I cannot recall how many she used - it was 2 years ago - then she placed the whitish downtown cement like you left in your legacy build world - that white cement was in this area as well as some cobblestone - on top of the white cement was more paint - I guess she decided to use cobblestone over the white cememt to match the other cobblestone, as well as she used several grass paints and dirts where I guess plants would be and such as she had planned to put a downtown area here along with various apartments and such. I assume she was just going to place the rabbitholes right on these lots - and then build the apartments - that is why they were painted like that with cobblestone, cement and grass - but where ever the grass was painted over cobblestone I got this constant flashing. So I started erasing all this paint until I got down to the cement or cobblestone below and when I did I noticed the freezes began stopping. just to the point of a stutter once I had erased this entire area - so I reported this to her. What I did not know though was under the cement was the paints she had first put in that area before she laid the cement. If you are not in CAW you cannot remove that cement - but she mentioned it at one point. Well she went and cleaned the entire area in CAW - removed the cement and then cleaned all the paint out under it as well, and every last bit of the stutter stopped completely.

Hopefully you understand now. But her world was CC free - and without the save it was just an empty world that was unplayable because of the paints.

Also by the time she got it all cleaned I guess there had been a fix for CAW and she was able to finish the world in CAW and EIG.

Yeah that post is long because we were working on the world with here for a good long time. Then we tested the finished version too. I took you to page 12 because that was where I started in the empty world and started finding the issue. Before that I knew nothing about terrain paints - it was learn as you go - believe me. I won't forget though.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Not really...Sorry. I'm trying though. Thanks for giving me more information. I know it's time consuming to type so much. :)

1. Hundreds of lots- means more then 200?

2. We can only erase all the paint on the lot not one at a time- we can erase one area of paint which will remove all the paint in that area.

3. If CC was used on a lot (in a page she did have CC attached to her save) and she had tried to use EIG to add lots, the CC will get attached to the world file. *Even if she removed the lot with the CC.

4. I read it was a plant that was enabled to be used in both game and CAW. So, makes it more likely it was attached to the world file. - I quit reading after that was found out and she fixed it.
    It didn't say any more about where the CC file was found or how it was removed.

5. I didn't read how she fixed it. So, the lot was empty except for terrain paint on it for where the RH would be~ which brings to mind that the lot was not empty but the RH was removed... instead of clean lot. Which makes me think that the lot was in EIG and removed that way.

EIG is giving me problems right now because it doesn't like Store stuff. A little is fine but I have almost all the Store installed and trying to use it.
    As much CAW/EIG draws on a computer, including so much Store also makes EIG quit.

But still, it's interesting that paint on a lot would cause problems. Can we find out how she fixed it? If she redid the lots and not just removed the RH and items... did she delete them *(Lots) in CAW and start over; did she reduce the number of paints on her world map?

I was thinking you meant the lots were flashing the under paints when placing them- SSV would do that sometimes and all the worlds seem to do that sometimes. But you meant the whole middle of the map would flash? That is weird.:(

*And this information is years old- if things were changed then this might have been part of it. It's so hard to keep on top. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well all the lots for the rabbitholes that had both paving and paint under the pavement as well as on top of the pavement were in the middle of this section of her world. The lots that had paint on top if the cement were the ones flashing and when they would flash they would go to the cobblestone cement underneath the grass paint and the back to to grass. Believe me it gave me a headache just looking at it all the time I was working in there.

I am also helping Tammie Jo in her world right now with the same issue just about where her bounding boxes were red and again like Gems all the rabbithole lots had a lot of paint underneath the lots with stone tiles over the layers of paint. She just told me she went and started removing all the rabbithole lots and cleaning all the paint out from under where the lots had been and replaced the lots and almost all her stutter is now gone.

But as far as I know in Gems case she removed all the paint and the cobblestone as well as cement in that whole area of the world, then rebuilt all of hers - and all her stutter stopped as well. I know the flashing was gone once all that paint was removed.

I understand you are just trying to figure it all out - no problem. Hope that helps clarify a little. I do have to get off the pc for the next several hours, but I will come back and check this afternoon. My hubby has decided this is a good day to clean out the dust from both machines and has gotten up bright and early to annoy me I guess. So I will check back as soon as I am able - I'll go back through that long post and see if I can't find out what Gem did, as I don't catch her on too often - but I am fairly sure she does explain it in there somewhere.

I'm getting glared at. Catch you later.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Well all the lots for the rabbitholes that had both paving and paint under the pavement as well as on top of the pavement were in the middle of this section of her world. The lots that had paint on top if the cement were the ones flashing and when they would flash they would go to the cobblestone cement underneath the grass paint and the back to to grass. Believe me it gave me a headache just looking at it all the time I was working in there.

I am also helping Tammie Jo in her world right now with the same issue just about where her bounding boxes were red and again like Gems all the rabbithole lots had a lot of paint underneath the lots with stone tiles over the layers of paint. She just told me she went and started removing all the rabbithole lots and cleaning all the paint out from under where the lots had been and replaced the lots and almost all her stutter is now gone.

But as far as I know in Gems case she removed all the paint and the cobblestone as well as cement in that whole area of the world, then rebuilt all of hers - and all her stutter stopped as well. I know the flashing was gone once all that paint was removed.

I understand you are just trying to figure it all out - no problem. Hope that helps clarify a little. I do have to get off the pc for the next several hours, but I will come back and check this afternoon. My hubby has decided this is a good day to clean out the dust from both machines and has gotten up bright and early to annoy me I guess. So I will check back as soon as I am able - I'll go back through that long post and see if I can't find out what Gem did, as I don't catch her on too often - but I am fairly sure she does explain it in there somewhere.

I'm getting glared at. Catch you later.

Sorry about that! :glares at Mr. Writin: :lol:

If you could that would be awesome. :D

So, removing the lots and then cleaning up the paint- which means the world had the paints- did they say how many layers of paint in that chunk? I keep mine as low as I can but I'll go to nine paints in one chunk if I need to. Which doesn't seem to be any problems *knock on wood*. :D

But you also said there was paint on her lots- right? That once you removed that paint the stuttering stopped?
    Do you know how many layers of paint they had on the world maps with that lot? I mean, if they didn't know how to clean up the chunks they could have how ever many in their world- Could be up to 20... I have no idea.
  • Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited August 2013
    Rf and Reggie,

What I have done is: In CAW I've cleaned up and deleted extra paints in the red boundrie area's until they are now that bluish white, that says they are OK. Then in game mode I have found my city hall/mall lot and most of the ea lots had paint on them that was buried underneath floor tiles. Doing both cleaning up the red boundaries and erasing the paint on the lot that was buried under floor tiles has decreased the lag significantly.

I still have small amounts of stutters every now and then, and am still looking to see if some of the houses may also have some buried paint.