Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Content Isn't Scary: A Thread For Those New to CC

I've seen far too many threads regarding CC. Namely, how do I install it, where do I find it, is it safe, etc. So! I thought a big ol' thread would help.

Is it safe?
It is most certainly safe! ... If you go to the right sites (see "Where do I find it?" below). Just like with anything else on the internet, you have to be very cautious. As long as you download from trusted sites, you should be fine. But if you want to be more careful, keep regular backups of your game and download Delphy's Dashboard. Delphy's Dashboard is great at finding problems in your .package files - whether they're corrupt, Sims 2 files, clashing, or so on. Custard is pretty much the .sims3pack equivalent. This is a good thing to run your new custom content on, no matter how experienced you are. Likewise, it's always good to keep backups on hand just in case something does go wrong. Murphy's Law!

Knowing the lingo
Some need-to-know lingo before we get started:
CC: Custom Content. Objects, game modifications, hairs, etc, made by other players.
Mods: Game modifications. These can be as simple as removing in-game sparkles or as complex as changing the entire game.
WCIF: Where Can I Find. Normally used when looking for certain kinds of custom content.
.package: A kind of custom content file (see below).
.sims3pack: A kind of custom content file (see below).
.sims: This is not just a shortened term for .sims3pack: this is the kind of file your saved sims are saved as, so they can appear under premade sims.
Defaults: These will replace what in already in-game. For example, default skins or eyes will replace EA's normal skin or eyes.
TSR: The Sims Resource, a custom content site.
MTS: Mod the Sims, a custom content site.

THE BASICS
Please read this guide before you get started!!

.package and .sims3pack
.package and .sims3pack differ mostly in how you download them. .sims3pack can be installed using the launcher, whereas .package files need to be placed in your Mods folder. (If you don't have a Mods folder, don't worry - you have to make it. See below.) Another note is that, if you get a lot of custom content and it's starting to slow your game down, you can compress your .package files, but not your .sims3pack files. Fortunately, you can convert .sims3pack to .package with relative ease and Delphy's Sims 3 Pack MultiInstaller.

How do I download custom content?
For .sims3pack: Download the files you want, then find where they were saved to on your computer (normally User > Downloads). Copy them, and then paste them into User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Downloads. Open up your game launcher, and they should appear under Downloads. Simply select them and install them, they'll be there when you play. **NOTE!** This is for Windows (7 in particular), but I think it works very similarly on a Mac.
For .package: This is tremendously easy after you do it the first time, because the first time you need to make a whole new folder for it. Don't be too intimidated though, because some of the best custom content comes in .package format. Here is a very easy and handy guide on how to get it set up. After this works the first time, you just need to copy and paste your .package files into User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Mods > Packages.
For .sim: These are your Sim files, as ya might have guessed. Just stick them in User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > SavedSims.

Where do I find it?
There are dozens upon dozens of custom content sites. This is a great thread with lots of good sites. Some sites are safer than others, though, so try asking for some advice before you go downloading everything. Most of those are pretty safe, with the exception of The Sims Resource, which some members have had problems with (though many others will tell you they've never had a problem).

This is all very basic stuff but, please, if anyone has anything to add or edit, let me know! =) I only hope to cut back on some of the repetitive threads I see.
Ornery weirdo. My Origin ID is Jongarakun.
xyIcMqt.png

Comments

• Options
    JongarakunJongarakun Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2013
    Bump for the afternoon crowd.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    xDiamond_PrincessxxDiamond_Princessx Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thank you!
  • Options
    agstahagstah Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for this. I have always been too afraid to download CC (plus I have a TON of store stuff, so I don't feel the need for it) but I will bookmark this thread in case I ever change my mind. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not a problem, I hope it helps. =) Don't be afraid of downloading CC, a lot of Sims players do without any problems haha.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    agstahagstah Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited August 2013
    Jongarakun wrote:
    Not a problem, I hope it helps. =) Don't be afraid of downloading CC, a lot of Sims players do without any problems haha.

Well, I am afraid of getting bad CC in my game, but I know custard can help with that if I choose to learn how to use it. One of my biggest "fears" though is adding another addiction! I know if I start I won't be able to stop! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That last fear is entirely justified. X)

Bumping!
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump!
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    SunsettsunriseSunsettsunrise Posts: 179 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Hey! Thanks, just one query. When I try to download some CC they have buttons you press but on others there are links to downloading it using mediafire or zshare? Whats the difference between mediafire and zshare?

EDIT: Also is it better to download .package or .sims3pack. Btw uninstalling CC with package is basically deleting the file thingy in your packages file and with sims3pack is like uninstall store content? (Wanna be prepared for the worst, lol I'm a newbie to CC)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    They're both different uploading sites, but some people have preferences for where they download from for whatever reason - or in case one site takes down the download there's an alternative. =) So go ahead and pick whichever one you want.

Well, like I think I mentioned before, .package files are a lot faster to get in-game (no need to wait for the Launcher to finish installing like with .sims3packs), but you have to make the Mods folder first, which can be daunting to some people. And you can compress your files if you get a lot of them if they're .package files, so .package is better in hindsight (also, you can get a clean delete of them easier than you can .sims3packs). One bonus .sims3packs have though is that you can see their preview image so you know exactly what it is you downloaded or want to delete.

And, yup, deleting is how you described. Delete in the Packages folder for .package files, uninstall with the Launcher for .sims3pack files. (But even uninstalling with the Launcher doesn't entirely get rid of them. You can get rid of them completely, but that's a bit overwhelming to describe. ^^; )

I hope that helped you decide! ^^ And feel free to ask anything, I'm fairly confident in my custom content-know how. For the record, I normally use .package, but that's only because I collect a lot, delete even more often, and hate the Launcher waits
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yay! Thanks so much! Just installed a hair, gonna go into game to make sure I installed it correct and if I did, well there's more gonna come!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No problem, I hope it works! =) And if not, the links in the first post should be good to troubleshoot with. Downside of CC: it can be way more addictive than the game itself. =P
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    OMG it is! Ah well! Its so good though, what sites would you recommend for makeup and contacts?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Especially to start with! I had around 800 pieces of custom content before I ended up cutting it down to my 300. ^^; The link I posted in the first post is definitely good for that. ;] (Hit "ctrl + F" on your keyboard and type in whatever you're looking for in terms like "hair", "eyes", "cars", etc.)
    Personally, I use MTS for contacts and TSR for makeup.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bumping!
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the post - it will help many Newbies.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hopefully!
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump. :>
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump~
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    lns1180lns1180 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2013
    Great post! What I need to know is how do I delete custom content. I have some bad cc that I'd like to ditch. Is it really as simple as just deleting the downloaded sims from my savedsims folder in EA? Or do I have to do it from the launcher? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It depends on what kind you got, and how badly you want to get rid of it. If it's just something that you don't really want to use, you can delete it easily, but if it's something corrupt, then you're going to have to take a few extra steps.

Regular
    If it's .package, then you simply delete it from your Mods folder.

If it's .sim3pack, go to your Launcher and go to Installed Content. Select it, uninstall it, then wait for it to finish. Then go to "downloads" on the Launcher and delete it there, too. (Don't want to install it again!)

Corrupt
    If it's .package, then you simply delete it from your Mods folder. Then, go to User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 and delete the following files:
    CASPartCache
    compositorCache
    scriptCache
    simCompositorCache
    socialCache (you actually don't have to delete all of these, but it's better safe than sorry and they regenerate as soon as you open the game up, anyway)

If it's .sim3pack, go to your Launcher and go to Installed Content. Select it, uninstall it, then wait for it to finish. Then go to "downloads" on the Launcher and delete it there, too. (Don't want to install it again!)
    Now, create a new folder on your Desktop called something like "custom content", or something you'll remember in the next five minutes. Go to your User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Downloads folder, and cut and paste all of your custom content files into your new folder on your Desktop.
    Now, go to User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCBackup and delete everything in that folder except for ccmerged. Go back, and go to User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCCache, and delete everything but missingdeps.idx. This completely removed any .sim3pack ever installed in the Sims.
    Go back to your Desktop folder, and cut and paste everything in that folder back into your User > My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Downloads folder. Open the Launcher, install everything again, and you're done.

P.S if it's a .sim file, yeah, just go ahead and delete it from SavedSims and delete the caches mentioned in the corrupt .package section. ^^

Hope this helped! =) Some CC can be really bad on your files, so always remember to back up important save files someplace convenient. ^^
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump.
    xyIcMqt.png