Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alice in Wonderland CAS- Closed All Gifted :-)

alice_in_wonderland_movie_zpsb4563482.jpg

What is that? Over there...to the side...did you just see a rabbit hop by? :wink:

Welcome to the Alice in Wonderland CAS competition. In honor of the end of school year, I am throwing this little bash for my daughter, AniMangAttack, who passed all her SOLs (and who should be getting her computer back shortly). She just watched the live action version of the movie again and wanted me to start a new contest. So here we are.

There are three main sources that she would like to see you pull your inspiration from. One is the live action version pictured above, the next is Disney's cartoon version, and finally QuinRose's manga books, Alice in the Country of Hearts, Clover, or Joker (more info on this series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_the_Country_of_Hearts). She will be available to help me judge this competition as I do not know the final source material.

The challenge is to create a sim, in the likeness of a character(s) of your choice. You must choose traits to reflect those of the character(s). This contest will require 5 screenshots, comprised of a head shot, everyday and formal wear, and two of your choice. You may link to slideshows if you are particularly proud of your work, but the ones that on your entry form will be the ones judged. In other words, it will not give you an advantage...it will just let you showcase your creativity for the community. You must also write a biography of your character. I do like creative (not just copied/pasted) bios, and strongly suggest that you get a little creative for that as judges tend to score according to effort.

Since this is more of a photo contest, CC will be allowed, nothing will need to be downloaded. If you would like to share your work the community, please just state if your entry has cc. There is a spot for that information on the entry form below. :)

Additional Rules:

First and foremost, be nice to others. I have never had a problem with this, but just wanted to get that out there. You will be disqualified if you do not follow this rule.

You do not need to upload your creation for this contest, unless you would like to share your work. If you do, I will rec your entry.

You can use pose player mods, but it will not score extra points, as game play photos work just as nicely.

You may enter up to three characters, but only your highest ranked entry will win. I hate to do this, but I would like for many people to win prizes.

Prefer no heavy photoshopping, but editing is ok. Please use only editing programs that all contestants could have access to, like the tools on photobucket or paint. There is a really great effect on photobucket that causes a picture to look dreamy. :-)

Be creative in those bios! I am an overall best entry kinda judge. You will notice that bio and looks have the same scoring potential.

Speaking of scoring will be based on a 100 pt scale:

30/100 pts on looks
30/100 pts on bio
15/100pts on traits
10/100 pts presentation
10/100 pts on "wow" factor
05/100 pts for following the rules and completely filling out entry form

One last rule...please put each entry in it's own post. If you decide to do 3 characters, they must be in their own post, so I can easily keep track of them.

Now let's get to the prizes....

The prizes are as follows:

Grand Prize:
Copy of Island Paradise (I am buying a physical copy of the disc and will email you the code so you can digitally download the game at the Origin on day of release. This has worked perfectly for every contest that I have hosted in the past.)

1st:
1500 sp (sponsored by envi)

2nd:
1000 sp (1000 sponsored by potter)

3rd:
500 sp (sponsored by envi)

2-HMs:
25 sps each (sponsored by potter)<--may be more depending on total number of participants

I have had offers of sponsorship, and that will be added if they are still interested. As of right now, this is the prize pool. If others sponsor, we will shuffle the pool around so that it is easier to distribute. Prizes may go up, but won't go down. :mrgreen:

Sponsors:

2000 sp Envira_x Thank you so much (((envi))))!!
IP and 1000 sp sponsored by potterphyle +whatever HM prizes that are given out

Judges:

AniMangAttack
Lissykin
Rawr2019
potterphyle

If you would like to help judge, please let me know, I would like to have at least one more person to help, preferably 2. You will not need to download things as this is a photo/writing contest.

In order to have winners posted by the June 25 release date, this contest will be ending June 22 at 11:59 est. That is Saturday night, just before midnight. I try to keep up to date with judging scores as entries are finalized so winners will be announced by day of release.

Please use the following entry form when presenting your entries:

ENTRY FORM: (FINAL/IN PROGRESS) please specify so that judge(s) know your entry is safe to score

USERNAME:

CHARACTER:

INSPIRATION PHOTO(S): (show us why you chose the look you went for)

SIM TRAITS:

SIM BIO:

SIM PHOTOS:
HEAD SHOT
EVERYDAY
FORMAL
UP TO TWO MORE PHOTOS OF YOUR CHOICE

DOWNLOAD LINK: (not required, this is only if you want rec's or want to share)

CC: (only if you included dl link, just be courteous and let people know there is cc in your entry before its downloaded)

ANYTHING ELSE: (link slideshows, if you would like to showcase your entry)

Remember--To keep this fair to everyone, your entry will be judged solely on the 5 photos in your main entry. Choose your best photos for entry form.

Happy creating!!!

Comments

• Options
    potterphylepotterphyle Posts: 3,659 Member
    edited June 2013
    Entries

GreenDream19
    Entry 1- Alice
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/30/682574.page#10899903

GreenCats
    Entry 1- Alice
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/30/682574.page#10913726

YellowJane
    Entry 1- The Mad Hatter
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/45/682574.page#10934188

xenacullen
    Entry 1- Alice
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/60/682574.page#10939924

jodeusp
    Entry 1- The Cheshire Cat
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/60/682574.page#10940957

Dark_Rose212
    Entry 1- The White Queen
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/60/682574.page#10943311

EmmaLeen
    Entry 1- Alice
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/75/682574.page#10946611

okester
    Entry 1- Red Queen
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/75/682574.page#10970357

MsVelcro
    Entry 1- Alice
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/75/682574.page#10970916

Loppie1988
    Entry 1- The Mad Hatter
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/90/682574.page#10972601

VamPanda
    Entry 1- The Mad Hatter
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/90/682574.page#10973675
    Entry 2- Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/105/682574.page#10978405

simsgal2227
    Entry 1- Alice
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/105/682574.page#10976829

Thelessy
    Entry 1- Red Queen
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/105/682574.page#10979588

Katielauren2001
    Entry 1- Queen of Hearts
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/120/682574.page#10980790

Dayshatw
    Entry 1- Queen of Hearts
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/120/682574.page#10980904
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thank you all for another wonderful competition! I look so forward to having these contests and seeing the creativity that you all show so well. This was a very difficult competition to judge, as there were so many wonderful entries.

I want to thank my fellow judges Nik, Lissy, and Lily...we pulled it off and the scores reflected pretty much the same top entries, with personal taste reflecting the style we preferred most.

Thank you also to Envi, who helped me offer such a nice prize pool in this contest. I am so grateful to you for helping me out.

Finally, thank you to all the contestants, who took their time to create such fine entries.

Now let's get on to the winners...

Winners

Grand Prize: CODE EMAILED, waiting on received confirmation :mrgreen:
    Copy of Island Paradise jodeusp with The Cheshire Cat
    I am not sure if you are in USA, but if you are in a foreign country, you will be able to register it today, but not be able to dl it until release day in your country. (I am buying a physical copy of the disc and will email you the code so you can digitally download the game at the Origin on day of release. This has worked perfectly for every contest that I have hosted in the past.)

1st: Gifted :mrgreen:
    1500 sp VamPanda with the Mad Hatter (sponsored by envi)

2nd: Gifted :mrgreen:
    1000 sp Green Cats with Young Alice (sponsored by potter)

3rd: Gfited :mrgreen:
    500 sp TheLessy with the Red Queen (sponsored by envi)

2-HMs:
    are now at 50 pts each:

Loppie1988 with the Mad Hatter :mrgreen:
    Dark_Rose212 with the White Queen :mrgreen:

Again, thank you all so much for participating. :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    FAQ:

Ooh this looks fun! Can't wait to get to work on my entry ^_^

One question: Would adding a "twist" to my character be acceptable? Maybe for example a more modern Alice or something? Or are you looking particularly for likeness? :)

LOL, she (Lil) said "if they can pull it off." She is picky. I on the other hand love a good twist (especially in the writing). You will be scored by the both of us, at least one of us will like it either way. ;-)

Love this, sorry if this has been answered already but here goes

Is CC allowed?
    Are default replacements allowed e.g contacts, skin?

I'd like to reserve the Queen Of Hearts if we have to reserve and may I ask how old your daughters is as this will be the main factor which changes the characters appearance? As a 3 year old wouldnt be happy with a truly scary queen :lol:

Yes, cc will be allowed, as we are judging this based on photos and the bios.

You do not even have to upload your sim, but you can if you would like to share with the community. If you upload to the exchange, and used cc, please add that info to the entry form at the bottom of post one. That way people will know before they dl it. Some people do not use cc at all. Thanks for asking, and I am adding this to the FAQ post too.
    GreenCats wrote:
    Potterphyle, a couple of quick questions if that's ok.

I usually use the free program GIMP for my editing. I don't think I'd be doing anything fancy that can't be achieved in photobucket, since I try to create as many of my effects in-game as possible. Could I perhaps post my pictures when they're done and ask you if you'll allow them? It's always good to have extra editing practice so I won't mind if you ask me to redo them :)

The other thing is should we be choosing a particular source and basing everything on that or is it ok to combine? For example, I know the Carroll books pretty well, and would probably base my Alice's (oh, right, yes, I'm making Alice) traits and bio off that. For her appearance I'd probably borrow from a couple of the sources you suggested. I'm happy to do something more specific if you and Lil would prefer.

I think GIMP would be fine. If any of you guys would like to use that program feel free.

You can base your sim off one source or multiple sources, creativity is key here. I am looking forward to seeing something unique. :-)

Copying to FAQ
    Rubysim wrote:
    Can I ask if the sim has to be new or not, I created the Red and White Queens a while ago

If your sim has not won a prize in a different contest, then you can use them here.

Copying to FAQ

• Options
    edited June 2013
    And we're up! Thanks for bookmarking and having patience with me today. :-)
  • Options
    123StarStrukk123StarStrukk Posts: 7,876 Member
    edited June 2013

One question: Would adding a "twist" to my character be acceptable? Maybe for example a more modern Alice or something? Or are you looking particularly for likeness? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013

LOL, she (Lil) said "if they can pull it off." She is picky. I on the other hand love a good twist (especially in the writing). You will be scored by the both of us, at least one of us will like it either way. ;-)

Copying this post to FAQ post.
  • Options
    123StarStrukk123StarStrukk Posts: 7,876 Member
    edited June 2013

Copying this post to FAQ post.

LOL I will do my best to pull it off for you guys ;)

Thanks for the clarification :)
  • Options
    envira_xenvira_x Posts: 4,295 Member
    edited June 2013
    Oh! You started it already!!! I thought it wouldn't be up for another few days. . Oooops ...

I am still sponsoring -- I will tag you with info!! :P
  • Options
    kransperkransper Posts: 5,482 Member
    edited June 2013
    *dances happily about* I think I can actually enter something for a change
  • Options
    GreenDream19GreenDream19 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi, this looks like so much fun! Thanks for hosting :D

Just wanted to ask when the dead line is?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    envira_x wrote:
    Oh! You started it already!!! I thought it wouldn't be up for another few days. . Oooops ...

I am still sponsoring -- I will tag you with info!! :P

Thanks dear, I thought I'd get it up and running while Lil was sitting here dictating to me. She has her own ideas, lol.

Thanks for sponsoring too! Hugs!
  • Options
    GreenDream19GreenDream19 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited June 2013
    SORRY my bad, I see it now!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kransper wrote:
    *dances happily about* I think I can actually enter something for a change

Yay! I can't wait to see the entries!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    SORRY my bad, I see it now!!

I am putting it in the main title too, just needed to hit open, so people knew it was safe to post...thanks for the reminder. :-)
  • Options
    Rawr2019Rawr2019 Posts: 14,407 Member
    edited June 2013
    ME ME ME ME ME

PWEASE LET ME HELP JUDGE!

I adore this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^______^
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Rawr2019 wrote:
    ME ME ME ME ME

PWEASE LET ME HELP JUDGE!

I adore this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^______^

Yay!! Thank you so much Nik! I appreciate the help so much. Adding you to post one now. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Prizes have been modified on page one, to add the 2,000 sp addition from Envi!!

Thank you so much for sponsoring dear. :D
  • Options
    JABWARRIOR1JABWARRIOR1 Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited June 2013

Is CC allowed?

I'd like to reserve the Queen Of Hearts if we have to reserve and may I ask how old your daughters is as this will be the main factor which changes the characters appearance? As a 3 year old wouldnt be happy with a truly scary queen :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Is CC allowed?

Yes, cc will be allowed, as we are judging this based on photos and the bios.

You do not even have to upload your sim, but you can if you would like to share with the community. If you upload to the exchange, and used cc, please add that info to the entry form at the bottom of post one. That way people will know before they dl it. Some people do not use cc at all. Thanks for asking, and I am adding this to the FAQ post too.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited June 2013
    What a coincidence!! I had something very similar planned for my next contest :lol: 8)

Well I'd absolutely love to enter this one. Thank you very much for hosting. This should be fun :mrgreen:

I really disliked the Tim Burton movie (despite enjoying his other work), but the manga thing looks fascinating so I'll check that out for inspiration :D
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    aud87aud87 Posts: 364 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'd be interested in entering this. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite movies! More so the Disney version than the Tim Burton one, but that one was good too. :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    What a coincidence!! I had something very similar planned for my next contest :lol: 8)

Well I'd absolutely love to enter this one. Thank you very much for hosting. This should be fun :mrgreen:

I really disliked the Tim Burton movie (despite enjoying his other work), but the manga thing looks fascinating so I'll check that out for inspiration :D

Great minds think alike! You can blame Lil for this one, since she came up with the idea. I am more like a sponsor and host, since she is not getting her laptop back until Lydia gets hers (Lyd has all but $50 saved--which she should get for her report card).

I was more of a Disney cartoon fan. I am gonna have to read the manga Lil has to be more familiar with it. She will be so excited to hear that someone is taking that direction!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aud87 wrote:
    I'd be interested in entering this. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite movies! More so the Disney version than the Tim Burton one, but that one was good too. :-)

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I am a sucker for classic Disney too. Give me a good Disney cartoon any day! :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Evening check in, will be back tomorrow, so if you have any questions leave them here.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited June 2013
    Potterphyle, a couple of quick questions if that's ok.

I usually use the free program GIMP for my editing. I don't think I'd be doing anything fancy that can't be achieved in photobucket, since I try to create as many of my effects in-game as possible. Could I perhaps post my pictures when they're done and ask you if you'll allow them? It's always good to have extra editing practice so I won't mind if you ask me to redo them :)

The other thing is should we be choosing a particular source and basing everything on that or is it ok to combine? For example, I know the Carroll books pretty well, and would probably base my Alice's (oh, right, yes, I'm making Alice) traits and bio off that. For her appearance I'd probably borrow from a couple of the sources you suggested. I'm happy to do something more specific if you and Lil would prefer.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com