Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windsor Valley - WIP - Mini Update 9/16/13 !!(original post)

I just created a new blog to post updates on the world and to make posts about lots and other sims related stuff. Maybe I'll make some tutorials if any one wants to know how I do certain things :) . I probably update that more often that this post. You can view it here: http://thetideschanging.blogspot.com/

Mini Update 9/16/13

Hey everyone this isn't an update with pictures, but I wanted to say that I have made 7 or 8 new homes for this world since the last update. I'm planning on finishing the rest of the homes for the town part of the world (I have 4 more) and do some work on the terrain before doing an update with pictures. After that I will move on to finishing the community lots.

If you want to see more pictures and detailed info on the homes I have built you can go my blog (link above).

Something else I wanted to share is that I have been making youtube videos of my homes being built lately. I've been doing it in the timelapse style so I guess it isn't really me making my homes, but I think it looks cooler. My most recent two contain intro clips that show some game play in Windsor Valley so I wanted to post them here in case anyone wanted to see Windsor Valley in a way other than screenshots :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLlfXRlZTrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnShgEnk5Ks

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the videos or how the world is progressing!

Update 8/29/13

In past few weeks I made 8 homes and a resort for Windsor Valley. The pictures for these are in the thread below. The homes are Victorian style and the resort is supposed to be an old run down inn in desperate need of a renovation. Here is a link to another post on the forum with more pictures: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/709053.page#11263127 . Here is the back story I made for it:

The story behind the Deilman Inn is that it was once the main tourist attraction in Windsor Valley before newer and larger Inns came along. Over the years this 200 + year old inn has fallen into disrepair with it's old plumbing constantly breaking and it's owners don't have the money to update the old and uncomfortable beds and outdated furniture. The exterior is severely weather beaten and much of the wood is rotting, causing a potential safety hazard. The city is offering the owners a decent amount of money to buy the land so they can bulldoze it and put in new apartments because the inn is an eyesore and clashes with the beautiful homes in the city. Some of the town's people are pleading for someone with money to step in and the buy the inn instead of the city. They believe that the Deilman Inn can be brought back to it's former glory and beauty, and that with the addition of modern amenities it can be restored back to a stunning five star inn. Is anyone brave enough to take on this task?

I also started with expanded the river into a large lake to accommodate the IP expansion pack. I'm not sure if I will include houseboats and a diving spot though. I think I am going to put two more resorts in the world, one along the lake and one in the mountains.

Does anyone think houseboats would work in this world?

Update 8/13/13
Since the last update I have made two homes and six community lots (Salon, potion consignment, gym, pool, library, and art gallery). I also did some tweaks to the terrain. Last week I also got a new laptop that is much more powerful than the one I was using so the sims and CAW runs much faster. The laptop also has a dedicated graphics card so it easily runs with all the graphics settings on high easily! So since the game now looks much better I took the screenshots off of this post and have put all new screenshots into the post below.

I was always considering ways to incorporate Island Paradise into this world. I don't have it yet, but I will get it soon. I was thinking about turning the river into a large lake and having homes that are partially built over it. Sims maybe can have boats in the lake. I don't think houseboats would work though. I may also make a resort along the lake and maybe another somewhere secluded in the mountains. As always feedback is appreciated :-)

Update 6/30/13
Since the last update I made three more homes and I also made the City Hall, Hospital/Science Lab, business, stadium, and coffee house rabbit holes. I also did some more terrain sculpting.

Update 6/9/13
Over the past couple of weeks I put in some distant terrain. I used two University Life distant terrains to make the world landlocked. As you can see from the pictures below I have a lot of work to do as far as blending the distant terrain to the rest of the world goes. I also made another house and did a couple of rabbit holes.

Update 5/20/13
I've done some work on Windsor Valley over the past couple of days and I wanted to show what I've done. I have built the town's consignment shop, fire hall, and one residence which functions as an apartment. I also made a small park and a fishing spot and did some more terrain painting and sculpting.

5/17/13
This is the work I have done on my new world, Windsor Valley, in the past day. I think I will be able to finish this faster. The inspiration for it comes from the area I grew up in, which has a lot of farms and a small main street type town with Victorian homes close together. So far I have made the town part of the world and made some of the rabbit holes. I also tweaked the vampire lounge from Laurel Beach and used it in this world. Roads going to more rural areas will branch out from the center town. I also plans to include lots from all the expansion packs :-).

Comments

• Options
    thetideschangingthetideschanging Posts: 250 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Picture Thread

Overview
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Residential
    *New*
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    *End New*
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Community
    *New*

The Deilman Inn
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    *End New*

Plumbob Picture Backlot
    screenshot_original.jpg
    School
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Fishing Lot
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Small Park
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Fire House
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Consignment Store
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Salon(Green building, yellow is a house)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Laundromat
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Potion Consignment
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Gym
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Pool
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Library
    screenshot_original.jpg
    art Gallery
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Vampire Lounge
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Festival Grounds/Performance Park (I was lazy and used the Starlight Shore one)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Coffeehouse
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    reserved
  • Options
    Lizpearl87Lizpearl87 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2013
    Great start, I really like it! I grew up in a town exactly like what you are describing so I am quite partial to the idea. As far as Laurel Beach goes, I thought it was a great looking world, but having gone through the same thing in CAW, I understand completely. The only real way to figure out CAW is by trial and error, I think. You can read every tutorial ever made but still make mistakes and in my case, by the time I realized the things I needed to change, I was burnt out on that project and the idea of going back in there to change it seemed like torture. I have to give anyone credit for simply sharing their progress, it's something I can't do.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks! I have a much better feeling about this world. That pretty much is what happened with Laurel Beach, there were things I messed up in the beginning that I wasn't looking forward to going back and fixing. In the future I may make another island type world to put the lots I made for LB to use. However, instead of having different areas of the island with different themes, I will make everything go together.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2013
    Hi :)

It looks beautiful so far. :thumbup:
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited May 2013
    I really like it so far. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    NilxisNilxis Posts: 596 Member
    edited May 2013
    I like it too, it looks cute and charming :D
    Just a little detail, this road in the last picture is too steep, it will look better if you smooth it a little :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks! I was thinking that too.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    update bump
  • Options
    WhiteSoxsFan21WhiteSoxsFan21 Posts: 45 New Member
    edited May 2013
    This looks amazing so far! Very simple, and very well detailed. I'll keep my eyes on this!
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm a sucker for a world with a lot of trees, and your's is no exception! :D Fantastic job!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2013
    Bookmarked this thread! It looks lovely so far! :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Update bump :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Update Bump
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump!!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2013
    HI :D

It looks so lovely! I like all the trees in the town and your builds fit together so well. :thumbup:
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited August 2013
    Your builds are gorgeous! I just spent ages admiring them in the pictures. I love rural scenic shots too, and places with lots of trees. It's looking beautiful :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks so much guys :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump!
  • Options
    minamina2minamina2 Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Wow! This looks great! :D
  • Options
    Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited August 2013
    Love, love, love, love, love it!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited August 2013
    Gorgeous world! keep up the good work
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!