Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My main worry about these "best friends"

I was wondering if anyone has a list of people who are considered "best friends" by the devs and will have creative input in the game, because I've heard a few names tossed around here and there, but nothing really concrete. Also I'd like to know whether these people are considered realists or absurdists, specifically whether they play with life states or not.

Because one of my favourite aspects of the game is the life states, (they're just great for the stories I want to tell, which is what the Sims is about), I'm worried because some of the names I've heard of I believe are realists, for the most part. And obviously, if the majority are realists and aren't particularly interested in the life states themselves, it's likely the life states aren't going to get as much attention as the so called "realistic" aspects. Yes, they are a popular feature so it's highly likely they will be included, but I think we can see that some life states are not as well done as others, and I'm worried this might occur in TS4.

Ugh, never know how to end these. Thoughts? (no, I don't like that, meh, I'll get better)

Comments

• Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited May 2013
    You should check them out on YT (mostly). They are great players who understand what most of us look for in Sims. They acknowledge glitches and bugs in TS3 (and hate them) as well as play the game, not just go around building houses, so it really does mean a lot to them as well.

I can name a few of them, not sure about all: Quxxn, James (TheSimSupply), Curtis Paradis.

Quxxn is very enthusiastic about Sims, like really, really. And she gets annoyed by glitches in a snap. She is bad builder but loves playing the actual game, rather than just speeding through it all.

James is more like your ordinary Simmer. Gets annoyed by glitches and loading times, he's a great builder but also does Let's Play series, but he's far more casual than Quxxn. He doesn't feel the need to sit through every second of the game and will speed up through some periods of the Sim days and discuss something else in the mean time.

Whether they're absurdists or realists, I'm more inclined to put them as realists. They don't go around building spaceships, bunch of blue and green people. It's mostly real-life like gameplay, with casual families.

Curtis is completely opposite. He barely plays Sims (at least for audience he doesn't, maybe privately he does more). From his Let's Plays, he starts in mansions, with cheats, goes on speed 3 most of the time and has no specific connection with his Sims. He's more of a builder and did monthly Sims 3 house videos. He's great at it, but far from being actually in love with the Sims.

So, I can say we're 'in good hands'. I know many of the people who are part of community VIP group do care about their viewers and they more importantly do care about Sims :)

James already opened a thread here in TS4 section asking others what they'd like to see, so they will communicate with us regarding what we want and like :D
  • Options
    neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited May 2013
    They need to put LGR on their list if they haven't :lol:

I understand your concern, but I would much rather have the development team consulting actual simmers than not at all. And I doubt they're going to have a huge influence anyway.
  • Options
    Charrrlotta18Charrrlotta18 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't a massive fan of Supernatural and find different life states rather annoying in my game. I found myself buying Supernatural and turning all the annoying states off!

So personally I hope that they keep life states out of the base game and perhaps add all of them into one Supernatural expansion (which I personally won't buy).

Sorry :|
  • Options
    lanadelsimlanadelsim Posts: 136 Member
    edited May 2013
    Also iPodZeke is included in the 'yibsims' group..
    AndrewArcade and Nic0lekAgames should've been indcluded! And LGR too :/

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2013
    I understand and I don't know them either. Not a follower nor have I watched any of them.

Just got to say it- again... Yep, go to fan sites, EA~ cause the people here don't have any ideas about the game or what they want. These boards and this site is just... like, empty of any ideas. :shock:
    (sadness off) :(
  • Options
    UtopiaUtopia Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2013
    I've watched a couple of videos lately on YouTube that I think were by Curtis Paradis and James (Sims Supply), they were very good actually and seemed very knowledgeable about the game.
    Mysticalmaid
    <3 Tweet me @samwitts2 <3
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    If SimSupply is part of the group then our future is in good hands (at least if they actually implement and take note of the group's input other than use them as sorta-free press)

There's a lot of money to be made if they can flip their public image, you know? EA depicted as this heartless mega-corp (not by me) that doesn't listen to their fans EVER (probably not true at all). This time the devs reaching out to the fans first to announce the game is good PR. It went from Evil EA that ignores our ideas to.. Good guy EA that cares about the fans and considers their input.

Doesn't hurt that the group is getting flown to one of the studios for a week to play the game.
  • Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited May 2013
    Couldn't agree more with @lovcat. Especially considering they'll let group tell the rest of us what the game is like and what it's about.

It's not just "you are seeing it and you'll keep your mouth shut" - it's more along the lines "sharing is caring" :D
  • Options
    UtopiaUtopia Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2013
    They did invite fansites with Sims 3 before release too though, and as I recall some of them raised issues with Sims 3 in regards to building iirc. (was it Kate@Parsimonious?) Hopefully this time they will have more time to maybe change things a bit? It is a good move inviting the fansites, and I have to admit I do like the idea that they were informed first instead of the actual press. They got a green ++ above my head for that :D
    Mysticalmaid
    <3 Tweet me @samwitts2 <3
  • Options
    Checksky3Checksky3 Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    I understand and I don't know them either. Not a follower nor have I watched any of them.

Just got to say it- again... Yep, go to fan sites, EA~ cause the people here don't have any ideas about the game or what they want. These boards and this site is just... like, empty of any ideas. :shock:
    (sadness off) :(

I hope your wrong, i hope EA and maxis understand that most simmers use these forums to discuss new things. I also hope that those fansite people who are invited like to play with life stages, because it seems that the majority of sims players do, me included, especially on these forums.
    Origin ID: CuddlesKatie
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2013
    The ones I heard mentioned in the conference call were Quxxn, Curtis Paradis, TheSimsSupply, SimCookie and iPodZeke. There was also one other mentioned, but I didn't recognize the name.

Quxxn is an amazing LPer, in my opinion she is second to none. She also does the best reviews, and does CAS videos.

Curtis makes houses and is an amazing builder.

TheSimsSupply also makes houses and is also an amazing builder. He also does LPs and tutorials.

SimCookie runs a fansite and makes worlds, including the amazing Sunset Died.

iPodZeke does excellent LPs and CAS videos.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited May 2013
    I really, really, really, :lol: can't stand to watch Quxxn's videos. Sugar gooey mixed with potty mouth bits just doesn't go together especially at 35 minutes a shot. tsk tsk :(

Now, LGR is a true fan in my book. His reviews are funny, cleverly scripted and edited, thorough yet concise. He gives an honest, fair account that is never difficult to sit through! :D

He doesn't do many Let's Plays, but the very first one he did on the Sims1 is an absolute gas! Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le6Ysr2fLMM
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pamhamlet wrote:
    I really, really, really, :lol: can't stand to watch Quxxn's videos. Sugar gooey mixed with potty mouth bits just doesn't go together especially at 35 minutes a shot. tsk tsk :(

It's kinda funny. I didn't like her at first but when I realized that she gets angry and curses at the game like me. I liked her so much more.
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2013
    Pamhamlet wrote:

Now, LGR is a true fan in my book. His reviews are funny, cleverly scripted and edited, thorough yet concise. He gives an honest, fair account that is never difficult to sit through! :D

He doesn't do many Let's Plays, but the very first one he did on the Sims1 is an absolute gas! Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le6Ysr2fLMM

I find Quxxn's reviews to be the best because she's clear, balanced and most of all she shows everything. That helps us make our own decisions.

I honestly can't sit through LGR's sims videos anymore. His other stuff, like Oddware, is amazing but I just can't with his sims stuff.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited May 2013
    lanadelsim wrote:
    AndrewArcade and Nic0lekAgames should've been indcluded! And LGR too :/

Oh yeah I forgot about AndrewArcade, I really like his Lets Plays.

I just hope they will genuinely listen to some of their input and aren't just doing it to make themselves (EA) look good. And I also am sad about the best friend thing because I am not one of them :(:lol:
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm sad that they won't be including this site in the first reviews and news and comments. That they're relying on fansites to put the word out.

TS3 had their fansites visiters, too. They built and played and made Sims then did some limited reviews. It's the same as last time. Hoped they'd do it better this time.
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited May 2013
    Pamhamlet wrote:

I love that about her though. Shes like me :3
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited May 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    I'm sad that they won't be including this site in the first reviews and news and comments. That they're relying on fansites to put the word out.

TS3 had their fansites visiters, too. They built and played and made Sims then did some limited reviews. It's the same as last time. Hoped they'd do it better this time.

I agree with you. I would rather EA include this site than depends on the "best friends". What's the point to have the ideas and feedback section in this site for :-) ?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:

I'm with you. I have watched a few of the videos of some of the people of the fansites.

Not one of them that may have any real input seem to know what I am saying about TS3 or the next game when it comes to gameplay and or wanting black hole basements to be gone!

As far as I know, I don't think Curtis actually plays the game...other than make a video of commands. Boring.

I hate the Let's Play videos...snooze....

Building videos are o.k...but some builders like the black hole surrounding the basements in TS3. :shock:

And they also love the rabbit hole shells...

And some fansites that were invited now seem to be spewing more and more ads for EA..instead of discussions etc...go figure...Pages and pages of ADs for EA and TS3 and new EPs etc..just more... more than ever before since the conference..yeah, that sure represents what fans want in TS4 more ads..

ETA: Took me three times to correct the word 'watched'. My keyboard has a mind of it's own today. For real. :x
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Anyone who is concerned with the yibsims needs to go listen to the broadcast on SimsVIP.

I was super worried about the future of this game being in the hands of random youtube fans but after listening to the interview/broadcast I think they have the game's best interests in mind. :)

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited May 2013
    I never got the impression that the event in August is going to be anything more than a fan day. In August, the game will only have five or six months left of development and be in playable beta, if yibsims are getting a hands-on with the game. If the team does take advice from them (which, honestly, I doubt to begin with), they won't change anything significant. They're not going to spend time ripping out or creating new animations and interactions for a life state just because some guy doesn't like unrealistic things, especially when the devs are completely aware that life states are for a particular sort of group within the fandom. I'm sure they remember the response they had gotten when Rod Humble started running his mouth about how he hated the fantasy elements in The Sims and wanted to make the game more realistic. The fans were enraged. I don't think they'll be forgetting about that any time soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Icarus wrote:
    I never got the impression that the event in August is going to be anything more than a fan day. In August, the game will only have five or six months left of development and be in playable beta, if yibsims are getting a hands-on with the game. If the team does take advice from them (which, honestly, I doubt to begin with), they won't change anything significant. They're not going to spend time ripping out or creating new animations and interactions for a life state just because some guy doesn't like unrealistic things, especially when the devs are completely aware that life states are for a particular sort of group within the fandom. I'm sure they remember the response they had gotten when Rod Humble started running his mouth about how he hated the fantasy elements in The Sims and wanted to make the game more realistic. The fans were enraged. I don't think they'll be forgetting about that any time soon.

I was under the impression it'd be more than a day.. they said keep the week free. O_O

Either way it's good publicity and would hype the game further if the yibsims like it a bunch. I think EA at times likes to have "controlled leaks" within the community.

IE. The trailers that pop up on youtube randomly.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited May 2013
    My main concern is these fans may be so starry eye and flattered to be chosen that they don't tell EA the things they really need to hear. I hope some of them are hardcore critics. LGR would probably tell them what he really thinks.

Though I guess it wouldn't matter if EA is isn't interested in input, but just needs output channels to put the word out.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    My main concern is these fans may be so starry eye and flattered to be chosen that they don't tell EA the things they really need to hear. I hope some of them are hardcore critics. LGR would probably tell them what he really thinks.

Though I guess it wouldn't matter if EA is isn't interested in input, but just needs output channels to put the word out.

Yeah, that is exactly what I am thinking.

If the TS4 team wants to know what the pulse of the fans of the games are..all they have to do is look on their forums. Duh, (intended for EA) why don't they?

On some fansites they have picked there isn't even any discussions going on..but lots of Ads for EA (more than ever) and more of the oooh, I can't wait etc..no real input like here.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited May 2013
    I tried watching Quxxn's videos and cannot stand her or the videos . no matter who EA invite every sims player plays the game in their own fashion and way .

Game play wise or building styles everyone is different .

Some people love the EA hairstyles and the buildings . Me personally i hate the way the EA hairstyles look like straw in the sims and every time i move into a lot in the sims the first thing i do is rebuild it and restyle it . the same with community lots i redesign them .

I have never yet found more than two or three house designs i like by another player and prefer to do my own .

I remember when TS3 was about to be released and they invited the sims sites to review it . Soon after that a couple of the reviewers became non gratis because they raised concerns about some of the things in the game and didnt just suck up to Ea's vision of the game