Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think two new ages should be added for Sims 4: Young Child and Preteen.

Comments

• Options
    BeachGirl6747BeachGirl6747 Posts: 411 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I have wanted preschoolers, preteens, and older adults since The Sims 2. I especially want preschoolers.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited June 2013
    adventfear wrote:
    These are my ideas for the ages so far. I'll add more as I think them up.

Young Children are Sims that are between toddler and children. As such, they have freedoms of the latter but some limitations of the former. Their age makes them unable to be left alone at home or at lots, like toddlers, but they can also sleep in a bed as opposed to a crib, Preteens and up can give them piggy back rides around the house, they can interact with objects and interact with others, play video games, walk up and down stairs, and can go to preschool for a couple hours as long as a parent takes them. They can also lose teeth, which they place under their pillow at night for the tooth fairy to come, and can talk to themselves as and play alone as though they have an invisible friend.

Preteens are the medium between children and teenagers. Height wise, they're in the middle of the two ages. They can still play with toys, sandboxes, and slides like children but they can also develop quasi-romances with other preteens and have crushes. They can also hang out with their friends, do a lot of things teenagers can do, such as work out to gain muscle and slow dance with others.

These two ages are basically to bridge the toddlers with children and children with teens, and would add a tiny bit more realism.

Two words: Too. cute!

I think this is such a neat idea and would add more realism to the game. I could totally see it working and having cool interactions, activities and age milestones.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    LilWeasleyGirl24LilWeasleyGirl24 Posts: 17
    edited June 2013
    Agreed :) I would love all those new stages and it's so weird on TS3 that they only have so few birthdays
  • Options
    alissamebealissamebe Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I think the jumps between the lower stages as well as adult to elder are too big because of how much people change.

- Infant (NB-12m) Just the same as babies.
    - Toddler (1 to 2 years)
    - Preschooler (3 to 5 years)Start preschool, sleep in toddler or regular beds, booster seats at table, etc.
    - Child (5 to 7 years) Loosing teeth, Elementary school, Interactions with younger sims like piggy back rides and helping out parents.
    - Older Child (8 to 12 years) All the same as child with some added interactions.
    - Young teen (13 to 15 years) Start high school, dating, can begin to learn to drive.
    - Teen (16 to 19) Can drive, becoming more mature, responsibilites.
    - Young adult (20-29) Things like collage, begining families.
    - Adult(30-49)
    - Older adult (50-60)
    - Elder (61+) Retired
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited June 2013
    I think it would be ok with ONE extra life stage i.e. the pre-teen one, but we don't need both child and young child becuas the children in the game are more like younger kids.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited June 2013
    The only one I really want is the 'mature adult' one. I hate it that my female Sims go from 'fertile' adults (which for humans is around 45 years of age, maybe as much as 50) to really old decrepit elders that look 80+.

• Options
    DryodaDryoda Posts: 56 Member
    edited June 2013
    Simmer999 wrote:
    A_Mom wrote:
    I think the young child should be more like a preschooler. And we definitely need a transition between Child and Teen and Adult and Elder.

Right now we have:

Baby - 0 to 1 year
    Toddler - 1+ year to 4 years
    Child - 5 years (kindergarten) to 15 years (cannot drive)
    Teen - 16 years (can drive) to 20 years
    Young Adult - 21 years to 30 years
    Adult - 31 years to 64 years?
    Elder - 65 years (retirement age) on up

It needs to be something like:

Baby - 0 to 1 year
    Toddler - 1+ year to 2 years (learning to walk, talk, potty, etc. can't read books yet)
    Preschool - 2+ years to 4 years (walking, talking, potty trained, reads books, sleeps in toddler bed or crib, a little more independent)
    Child - 5 years (kindergarten) to 12 years
    Preteen - 13 years to 15 years (cannot drive)
    Adult - 31 years to 50 years?
    Mature - 51 years to 64 years (no more having babies)

What do you think?

I really like this idea. However, Child should go down to 9 years and one becomes a preteen when 10. So like this:
    Baby - 0 to 1 year
    Toddler - 1+ year to 2 years (learning to walk, talk, potty, etc. can't read books yet)
    Preschool - 2+ years to 4 years (walking, talking, potty trained, reads books, sleeps in toddler bed or crib, a little more independent)
    Child - 5 years (kindergarten) to 9 years
    Preteen - 10 years to 15 years (cannot drive)

That balances off the time spent enjoying each age group, as 13-15 would be way too short.

Yes, I like this.
  • Options
    Summersethomes5Summersethomes5 Posts: 450 Member
    edited June 2013
    I agree with this, I want more stages
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2013
    A_Mom wrote:
    I think the young child should be more like a preschooler. And we definitely need a transition between Child and Teen and Adult and Elder.

Right now we have:

Baby - 0 to 1 year

Baby - 0 to 1 year

What do you think?

In my opinion preschool age is unnecessary as child covers that area nicely as is. Mature is also unnecessary as adult covers a wide range (not to mention people in your mature range still can and do have children). Preteen does need to be added though as there is to much of a gap between child and teen.
  • Options
    TinkerballTinkerball Posts: 1,113 Member
    edited June 2013
    A_Mom wrote:

Baby - 0 to 1 year

What do you think?

This would be perfect in my opinion! I hope someone on the TS4 team is listening.
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited June 2013
    I totally agree that we need more ages. When I make a large family, sometimes the children will look and be treated the same age just because the difference between their ages isn't enough for them to be in different stages. Like when you have a child, then four days later, have another child, when they become children/teens they'll be THE SAME AGE. The only way you could tell the difference was by looking at how many days they have until aging up.
  • Options
    BinskyBinsky Posts: 4,263 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yes! When we get older we don't suddenly go from 4'3" to 5'4" and look like adults when we were children not a minute ago! Also, like Jak and LaBlue said, we need a life stage between adult and elder. And I second the motion of no going up in flames as a result of a hot flash, that just... no. :roll: Seriously, comedy in the Sims can go so far but anything like that... Geez. And what Sims2N3wbi3 said about middle school... hey, if I had to be tortured, so should my sims. It just ain't fair! :lol: And A_Mom :shock: that list of ages was perfect! I COMPLETELY agree!

I really hope EA notices this thread and takes note!
  • Options
    16Jenn16Jenn Posts: 254 Member
    edited June 2013
    This is the best idea I have seen all day! I really want the preteens because I think it would be so cute watching them develop crushes and act a little more grown up, but still with a bit of a childish side.
  • Options
    Graceey_72Graceey_72 Posts: 678 New Member
    edited June 2013
    alissamebe wrote:
    I think the jumps between the lower stages as well as adult to elder are too big because of how much people change.

- Infant (NB-12m) Just the same as babies.
    - Toddler (1 to 2 years)
    - Preschooler (3 to 5 years)Start preschool, sleep in toddler or regular beds, booster seats at table, etc.
    - Child (5 to 7 years) Loosing teeth, Elementary school, Interactions with younger sims like piggy back rides and helping out parents.
    - Older Child (8 to 12 years) All the same as child with some added interactions.
    - Young teen (13 to 15 years) Start high school, dating, can begin to learn to drive.
    - Teen (16 to 19) Can drive, becoming more mature, responsibilites.
    - Young adult (20-29) Things like collage, begining families.
    - Adult(30-49)
    - Older adult (50-60)
    - Elder (61+) Retired

I agree with this. Expect I don't think we need a child and older child stage.

Newborn (0-1) - same only they should be able to wear normal sim clothes.
    Toddler (1-2) - I like the ideas form [url]this thread[http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/690663.page/url]
    Preschooler (3-4) - Can walk, talk and is potty trained. Like more independent. Does not need a baby sister.
    Child (5-10)- Same as before only more things for them to do.
    Pre-teen (10-12) - Can start like other sims. Are allowed to have a romantic interest but not a boy/girl friend. Can play with toys but get embarrassed when other sims see them.
    Teen (13-15)- same as before just more things for them to do.
    Older teen (16-18) - same as teen only allowed to woohoo and drive.
    Young adult (18-25) - same as adult only all of them have the party animal trait like to be rebellious for time to time.
    Adult (25-40) - same as before
    Middle aged (40-60) - same as before just make it a bit more obvious that their middle age sims. Start to take longer to complete tasks.
    Elder - same as before only make them more exicting. They can knit things for their grandchildren.[/url]
  • Options
    tomarixhazumutomarixhazumu Posts: 82 New Member
    edited June 2013
    While I think the proposition for more life stages is great, I think you're off base for the current child life stage length. Just b/c teens can learn to drive doesn't mean they have to start as "16". Driving was added b/c certain interactions are made for certain life stages, w/o the discrimination of how it would translate to real life.

I think a "tot"/preschool stage and pre-teen stage need to be added the most.

They could definitely add in the pre-teen crushes, for a smoother transition into the world of romance. I think pre-teens should be able to use public transport, and have a later curfew (if any) than children. I don't want any autonomously going home for this stage either. Probably wouldn't be able to have drinks, but I think they should have their own set of drinks that are child and pre-teen friendly at venues. Perhaps they could also be responsible for watching younger siblings, and can hold babies and toddlers, just like teen counter parts. They could still use some child-oriented stuff though.

Tot stage I think would be great b/c it makes little sense to me, especially in TS3, how sims suddenly go from bottle feeding, throwing annoying tantrums, walking/crawling around in just a diaper, and sleeping in a crib to being fully clothed, eating solid foods at the table, sleeping in a full size bed, and not even throwing tantrums anymore. I'd like my parent sims to be more active (under my control) in disciplining their offspring, and I think the preschool stage could introduce these stages more slowly.
  • Options
    laurenvonzombielaurenvonzombie Posts: 49 New Member
    edited June 2013
    i think that the pre-teen age group could be fun ....childhood romances...maybe a bit of hormonal/emotional development.... maybe a motive and a socially awkward action for preteen sims conversing with other sims and having broken voices, or preteens having pms style tantrums ect

the thing that gets me is an adult going straight to OAPS i think the whole 40's and 50's have a LOT to be explored on.... full blown mid-life crisises, hot flushes (the change), affairs, second families,(third families?) re-taking vows, maybe now we have sunlit tides and island paradise explore successful middle aged sims packing up and living abroad?
  • Options
    Alex2315Alex2315 Posts: 639 Member
    edited June 2013
    Maybe a life stage between adult and elder and one for child and teenager? possibly idk how necessary that is though
  • Options
    TillyToo59TillyToo59 Posts: 64
    edited June 2013
    Oh yes. Definitely. In fact you're not the only one who has come up with this idea.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/691617.page
    Read that forum... I really like it.

I might make a petition for this....
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2013
    I really do not see the logic in adding more life stages when they are all already there but needs to be further broken down into smaller categories. :?

=================================
    Infancy Stages:
    - Neonate
    - 6 months
    - 1 year
    (If gradual aging were implemented...within each life stage the sim would have growth milestones.)

Toddler Stage:
    - 2 to 3 years

Child Stages:
    - 4 to 5 years
    - 6 to 7
    - 8 to 10

Teen Stages:
    - 11 to 12 years
    - 13 to 15
    - 16 to 17
    - 18 to 20 (20 because for age restrictions to match up better for represented ages for each milestone)

Young Adult Stages:
    - 21 to 25
    - 26 to 30
    - 31 to 35
    - 36 to 40

Adult Stages:
    - 41 to 50
    - 51 to 60
    - 61 to 70

Elder Stages:
    - 71 to 80
    - 81 to 90
    - 91 to 100

Basically my idea is to keep all the same age groups just the way they are, no adding any and no subtracting any. Only difference is that within each age group is further broken down into milestones as a sims life progresses. In my personal opinion, I do not want any more added age groups especially the way they treat most of them now. So I feel the best route to take would be to improve on what they have now and make it so players can still get pre-teens along with other represented ages.

Also in this way depending on represented ages, older sims will have more interactions/privileges available to them compared to those who are younger. For example: 18 to 20 year olds can get married, date/marry someone older than them, etc. Pre-teens (11-12) can have crushes, 16-17 year olds can date and have boyfriends/girlfriends.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited June 2013
    Alright, here's a question:

Considering EA has had trouble in both Sims 2 and Sims 3 with coming up with content for the number of life stages we have in Sims 3, what makes you think adding more won't make the problem worse?
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2013
    Alright, here's a question:

Considering EA has had trouble in both Sims 2 and Sims 3 with coming up with content for the number of life stages we have in Sims 3, what makes you think adding more won't make the problem worse?

Well, we both know this isn't going to happen. Oh, it *sounds* good in theory, but we're dealing with a group of young adults and adults in the development team; a team which is under a deadline. At this point the foundation for the game has already been laid, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that we'll see the same broad range of life stages that we've seen in the Sims 2 and the Sims 3, simply because it's easier to leave it that way than to add all the details that will only serve to clutter up the game.

But there's no harm in speculating, even when we know that more than likely, EA's already set the ages in concrete.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    15dARKpRINCESS15dARKpRINCESS Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    bmashland wrote:
    Please wait for Sims 4 to be released before giving them ideas for
    Sims 5.

Ha!!!!!
  • Options
    BenjoSamaBenjoSama Posts: 88 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Hm. I'm still a bit unsure about adding new life stages. I think young child/preteen is a bit too much like child stage. (However, out of the two I would quite like preteen)

I think they could maybe, as the toddler/child is nearing the end of the life stage (3 days to go or something) we can have some notification or something like with mood swings. Like ' x sim is nearing the end of his toddlerhood/childhood. as they've grown, they've unlocked some new interactions' or something weird like that. >.< I don't know. :mrgreen:

But another idea would to have better toddlers so we could have all this young child stuff. Because, they could implement it. It would make the needed depths to life stages that *some* games didn't have >.> Mm Sims 3 XD
  • Options
    SakuraOgataSakuraOgata Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    A_Mom wrote:

Right now we have:

Baby - 0 to 1 year

Baby - 0 to 1 year

What do you think?

definitely love this idea :):mrgreen: :-o :D
  • Options
    angelbearpuppyangelbearpuppy Posts: 184 New Member
    edited December 2013
    I think that instead of adding more age groups they should consider a progressive ageing type thing.

This is what I would like to see, all time frames are hypothetical and can be changed just used as a referance

Infants (10 days) at day 5 they progress into being able to sit up. Interactions could include, teaching them to crawl, playing with them on a mat, excersaucer, bouncy, swing or some other infant toy. Would love to see onesies, booties, and hats, or hair for infants. A changing table and a baby tub, or sink bath could be other interactions. Imagine if the sim could get peed on while changing diapers. Moodlets for them could be a rash....sick...teething.

Toddlers (20 days) once again at 10 days new interactions as they are older. Scribbling on walls, napping on a cot or toddler bed. Playing in the toilet, escaping, temper tantrums, learning to drink from a Sippy cup, or a full sized cup, learning to eat solid food. Playing on toddler equipment outside. Moodlets could be.. diaper rash, terrible two, sick.

Child (30 days) about 15 days in, girls can try to put on make up, chores, see actual classes instead of a grade. Tutoring in subjects they need help in, building a play fort.

Teen (30 days) at 15 days maybe have them develop crushes, desire to go on a date, primp in mirror, make out (this does not have to be woohoo, but come on, teens make out with their boyfriend ect sometimes)

Young Adult - Same, can not think of anything to change.

Adult - Same, can not think of anything to change or add.

Elder - Young elder, still runs after grandkids, spoils them, wants to have them over for a night. Half way, older elder, maybe write a will, desire to go to far off places, travel the world, see family.