Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird Foreign Romance

I wasn't sure if this would go here or on the technical board, but I thought I'd try here first. I've done some searching, so I know it's possible to romance a foreign Sim and marry him or her.

I thought I would do that this time with my current Sim's son. I had them go to China, and he used his Sim finder to meet a girl with some of his same traits. So far so good. I go home, I invite her on a date. So far so good.

Now, just to keep an eye on her age, I decided to have her move in to the house. When I get the option, it seems to reset the Sim that asks her. It seems to reset her too, since I have options like 'Invite Inside.' again Then I have to ask her again. That's not a problem, but when I do and it shows the household panel, it weirds me out a little because it shows the Grim Reaper in her old household. The first time I did this, it started screwing with the dialouge boxes. Ones that usually said a Sim was starting to feel sick were suddenly blank.

I'm wondering if anyone else with all the expansions ever tried this and if this sort of thing happened too. Will it royally screw up my game if I try to make this girl my son's wife?

Comments

• Options
    ljfroggyljfroggy Posts: 40 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I had a similar problem and I wish I could tell you exactly what was wrong but I don't think I can. I saved up enough lifetime happiness to buy the long distance friend because everytime my sim talked to the foreign sim it would hardly go up. It took like two sim weeks for them to finally become friends. And once they went home the next day the bar would practically go back to nothing and in the relationships tab they would be missing. So getting long distance friend definitely helped with that. I haven't asked the foreign sim to move in or anything yet, I'm not sure if it will mess up your game, I just invite them to stay the night. But the foreign romance is definitely something that seems to be messing up my game. Sometimes after the guy spends the night and the next morning he says he has to leave, he just goes outside and hangs out under the porch indefintely. When I used to try to make them woohoo, right before they would go do it something would pop up before that interaction (like go get coffee, go eat, go pee, pass out) I thought maybe they just both needed have all their needs bars pretty full. So finally they got some rest and ate and pee and they were about to woohoo in the hot tub, would you believe it, the hot tub suddenly broke so they couldn't woohoo. So I'm just going to make them get married and kick out my sim to go live with him and continue with the rest of her family because there is definitely something funky going on with this foreigner. This probably isn't very helpful, but now you know you're not the only one with a problem with this. I don't think its worth it to make them move in if its already messing up your game, you should save it before they move in and test it out to see it it runs smoothly first.
  • Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited March 2013
    Long distance friend doesn't help get the friendship faster. It helps keep existing friendships at the level you got them to rather than have them decay as fast with time.

As to the other problems, I don't know. Sorry. (But this is the correct board, not the technical, since it's a game play issue.)
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,100 Member
    edited March 2013
    Foreign romances can be fun when they work right, but they've been a bit glitchy from the beginning. I've also (after successfully marrying them) seen a clone of them pop up back in their home country. Been able to move them in, but not marry them because the can't divorce a Sim back in their home country or they do but it doesn't actually work. If you marry a merchant, the game is supposed to spawn a new one, but sometimes doesn't and you can't play right. Sometimes the romance results in a child suddenly appearing in your family tree, living in the foreign country. Sometimes a foreign sim who comes home with you won't be playable. And I know my game just gets glitchy in general when I marry a foreigner, so I just stopped marrying them. Now if I have a romance with them, it stays in their country. You can get pregnant and go home and have the baby (when that works correctly!).
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    thesealofthesimsthesealofthesims Posts: 722 Member
    edited March 2013
    lisamwitt wrote:
    Foreign romances can be fun when they work right, but they've been a bit glitchy from the beginning. I've also (after successfully marrying them) seen a clone of them pop up back in their home country. Been able to move them in, but not marry them because the can't divorce a Sim back in their home country or they do but it doesn't actually work. If you marry a merchant, the game is supposed to spawn a new one, but sometimes doesn't and you can't play right. Sometimes the romance results in a child suddenly appearing in your family tree, living in the foreign country. Sometimes a foreign sim who comes home with you won't be playable. And I know my game just gets glitchy in general when I marry a foreigner, so I just stopped marrying them. Now if I have a romance with them, it stays in their country. You can get pregnant and go home and have the baby (when that works correctly!).

It's weird because I've heard other people say they've had no problems with this sort of thing.

I sometimes wonder if the Sim I picked was a merchant becuase I noticed when I went to China to try moving her in, it showed she didn't have a household. I might try again with one of the pre-made families, and see if that makes a difference. Sun Young Kim looks promising, and she shares some of my current Sim's traits. Well, actually only one, but that might be enough.