Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Concerns about Story Progression

Comments

• Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    edited June 2009
    I am the author of the biggest thread concerning Story Progression (Titled: "Story Progression is the worst part of the game"), and I am so happy that EA has recognized our concerns. While the toggle is being fixed, perhaps you should consider what the guys at MATY did, and make it so there aren't any more asexual reproductions. That part is annoying. Also, only make Sims move out if it is completely necessary. I had half of my lots empty and the game was still deleting people.
  • Options
    BattsknoxBattsknox Posts: 1,133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have created the short cut, but if try to add
    -disablestoryprogression
    to the end of what is already in the target line (which is WITH QUOTES)
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe"
    It tells me it is not a valid shortcut.
    I really am not computer illiterate, I bypassed the launcher with Bon Voyage for awhile, so I have done this before.
    HELP :oops:
    NEVERMIND!
    Everyone...there is a space before the dash meaning the target line in properties of the shortcut should be
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe" -disablestoryprogression
  • Options
    veggiveggi Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2009
    double posted
  • Options
    mrtauntaunmrtauntaun Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am running XP since its superior for gaming applications

I used to think that way, until I actually tried vista as a gaming platform. I currently dual boot xp and vista. Games run much better in XP with DX10 than on XP.
  • Options
    SophLady24SophLady24 Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    :twisted: LoL sooo many computer illiterates. Well I guess instead of making fun of you I should attempt to help, eh? Alright To the person on page one who has the disable part listed after your exe. If I understand what you did right you just added that to the name of the exe? Or did you go into the properties of the shortcut and adjust it like the instructions said?

To those who can't find your executable XP or Vista? I am running XP since its superior for gaming applications, but the path "should" be the same. I have a vista notebook I could install it on later maybe just to check the path if thats where the problems stemming from, assuming someone else can't correct this for you. Just to verify you know its named "TS3"?

I actually went into the shortcut properties and added it just like the instructions said but I'm getting an error. I'm running Vista.
  • Options
    fllnanglsw22fllnanglsw22 Posts: 57 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm in the same place as you Batts. I've tried putting it in many different ways and I'm using vista. If anyone has got it to work using vista can you copy and paste exactly how you have it written?
  • Options
    Louisville15Louisville15 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited June 2009
    awsome18 wrote:
    wat is the diffrence between macs and pcs? and wat about dells?

sorry i dont have the y chromosome.

Hahaha. Thats okay. Macs have a totally different platform than PCs. It looks way different. Alot of people say they are more creative and i think they are too. They have the ability to not get any viruses. But when you download stuff you got to get the Mac version. Check out more at apple.com/Mac

lol, they can still get viruses/hacked, it's just that people that develop those kind of programs target PC's because they have like 95% of the market.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Not sure if Vists would be different, but I got it to work on XP by putting a space after .exe" and then it worked.
    My XP the target line now reads
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe" -disablestoryprogression

Game loaded and IO am playing again HAPPILY with story progression OFF! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    RegoRego Posts: 704 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Batts, that seemed to start without error.

Now to see if works IN the game
  • Options
    jeremysipesjeremysipes Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2009
    Battsknox wrote:
    I have created the short cut, but if try to add
    -disablestoryprogression
    to the end of what is already in the target line (which is WITH QUOTES)
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe"
    It tells me it is not a valid shortcut.
    I really am not computer illiterate, I bypassed the launcher with Bon Voyage for awhile, so I have done this before.
    HELP :oops:
    NEVERMIND!
    Everyone...there is a space before the dash meaning the target line in properties of the shortcut should be

K I went and tested it for you and found the problem. Make sure you have a space beteween them your file patch should look like this. "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe" -disablestoryprogression

That will fix it for you.
  • Options
    SophLady24SophLady24 Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Battsknox wrote:
    Not sure if Vists would be different, but I got it to work on XP by putting a space after .exe" and then it worked.
    My XP the target line now reads

Game loaded and IO am playing again HAPPILY with story progression OFF! :mrgreen:

Thank you! :D

Thanks to you too jeremy.
  • Options
    velcroshoesvelcroshoes Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited June 2009
    4) In the top line “Target:” go to the end of the line and add this tag –disablestoryprogression

This is now the part I'm having trouble on. Whenever I put it in like this "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe-disablestoryproduction" or "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe"-disablestoryproduction it always says "The name specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and the file name are correct"

What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    4) In the top line “Target:” go to the end of the line and add this tag –disablestoryprogression

This is now the part I'm having trouble on. Whenever I put it in like this "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe-disablestoryproduction" or "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe"-disablestoryproduction it always says "The name specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and the file name are correct"

What am I doing wrong?
    PUT A SPACE BEFORE THE DASH, VOILA, ENJOY!
  • Options
    velcroshoesvelcroshoes Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited June 2009
    oops double post
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Weird. I had the space in there and it wasn't taking it, but I copied it from my original post and Voila! it worked.
  • Options
    SenkoSenko Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Nope still can't get it to work I'm having the same error 282 as the an earlier poster what I'm currently doing is . . .

1) Go to the bin directory.
    2) Right click what I assume the correct application as it starts the sim's 3 without the launcher and has the identifier TS3.
    3)Select create shortcut.
    4) Drag said shortcut to the desktop.
    5) Right click said shortcut and select properties.
    6) Edit the target line so it say's "C:\Games\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe" –disablestoryprogression
    7) Click apply and ok.
    8) Double click the icon and receive a message saying . . .

Unable to start game

Error code 282

Can anyone tell me waht I'm doing wrong please?
  • Options
    splaylesplayle Posts: 257 New Member
    edited June 2009
    What if you only want to turn off story progression on one town?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Senko - Try copying the target line from an outside program (like your post) into the target line in the properties box. That fixed it for me - just make sure there is a space between the end quotation and the tag.
  • Options
    SenkoSenko Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Aha I had to do the opposite of what you said thanks, I normally copy and paste these shortcut changes but as I was posting a response I noticed my - looked different here than it does in my target line so I deleted the copy/pasted -disablestoryprogression and entered it manually makng it work (strange things computers) anyway thanks for you help if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have realized the problem.

EDIT
    I expect if we only want to disable it in one town we'll need to turn story progression of when playing that town and on when we leave it, a bit of a hassle till they fix the toggle box.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I want one town with story progression on and one off. So I ASSUME (we spoke about me assuming before :oops: ) that when I want to play the town with story progression ON that I will use my launcher to start. When I want the story progression off, I will start from the newly created shortcut. ?? :?:
    Anyone confirm this? Btoh methods are technically playing the same game just one with a "CHEAT" (the workaround), so to speak? AM I correct? :?
  • Options
    GoIdieGoIdie Posts: 328 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Wow that is awesome! Now all you need to do is fix the speed issues :D
  • Options
    SmokaColaSmokaCola Posts: 111 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Macs are always left out... :(

No offense intended but Macs aren't very good for gaming. Their strong point is mostly any form of editing. Well that's my opinion :P
  • Options
    jessstewart88jessstewart88 Posts: 376 New Member
    edited June 2009
    cassius25 wrote:
    I'll just wait on the patch..

Agreed. :sigh:
  • Options
    jeremysipesjeremysipes Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2009
    Battsknox wrote:
    I want one town with story progression on and one off. So I ASSUME (we spoke about me assuming before :oops: ) that when I want to play the town with story progression ON that I will use my launcher to start. When I want the story progression off, I will start from the newly created shortcut. ?? :?:
    Anyone confirm this? Btoh methods are technically playing the same game just one with a "CHEAT" (the workaround), so to speak? AM I correct? :?

Yes battsknox you are indeed correct on the process.
  • Options
    Pebbles17Pebbles17 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Could you just save two different file type names one with it on and one with it off if you wanted both?