Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Concerns about Story Progression

*** The update provided on 6/25/09 has fixed the story progression on/off option toggle. This workaround is no longer necessary. I'm leaving this post up anyway though.

:) Lyndsay ***

Hi All – I’ve seen many conversations popping up about our game feature called Story Progression and the fact that the option to turn it off doesn’t work. We’ve been investigating this and have found that the toggle is not doing what it was intended to do. We are working to address this asap but in the meantime there is a workaround for PCs.

For PC:
1) Find your game executable. It should be here: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
2) Create a shortcut on your desktop to the TS3.exe.
3) Right-Click on the shortcut and choose “Properties”
4) In the top line “Target:” go to the end of the line and add this tag –disablestoryprogression
** You Simmers have been awesome and pointed out you need to make sure there is a space BEFORE the dash in your target line. Thanks guys!
5) From this point on you will need to run your game from this shortcut and NOT through your launcher.

There isn’t a work around for Mac at this time.

I realize this is a certainly not ideal but it will address the issue while we are working on a real fix.

I also want to mention that there are a few events that can still occur even if story progression is completely off.
- Any pre-made pregnant Sims will still have their babies.
- If Aging is on, Sims will still die.
- As YOUR Sims get new jobs, other Sims in the neighborhood may have their careers reassigned to become your boss or co-workers.

Thanks so much for your patience.

- Lyndsay

PS. If you want your story progression back on you need to remove this tag from your shortcut.

Comments

• Kennybenny19Kennybenny19 Posts: 217 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Macs are always left out... :(
  • monkymn00monkymn00 Posts: 948 Member
    edited June 2009
    I think a lot of people just cried out in joy.
  • awsome18awsome18 Posts: 265 New Member
    edited June 2009
    wat is the diffrence between macs and pcs? and wat about dells?

sorry i dont have the y chromosome.
  • JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2009
    Please build in options to effect the individual sims and not neighborhood wide story progression. Or at the very very least, add in an option that just turns off story progression for my own custom sims (for those that want to use it).

Thank you,
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    awsome18 wrote:

Mac's are on apple computers, and PC's are pretty much on everything else. A dell is just the brand/company, not the type of computer. So the PC fix is for Dells, HP's, Compaqs, etc.
  • Kennybenny19Kennybenny19 Posts: 217 New Member
    edited June 2009
    awsome18 wrote:

Hahaha. Thats okay. Macs have a totally different platform than PCs. It looks way different. Alot of people say they are more creative and i think they are too. They have the ability to not get any viruses. But when you download stuff you got to get the Mac version. Check out more at apple.com/Mac
  • mrtauntaunmrtauntaun Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am so happy. Thank you!!!!
  • RegoRego Posts: 704 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Dells are Pc's....

PC usually runs XP or Vista OS's.

Macs are made by Apple and run Mac OS.

They are entirely different setups and different capabilities as far as how to do things.

Dells are Pc's again. Its just a brand name.

Edit) You guys post to **** fast.
    edited June 2009
    Jalida wrote:
    Please build in options to effect the individual sims and not neighborhood wide story progression. Or at the very very least, add in an option that just turns off story progression for my own custom sims (for those that want to use it).

Thank you,

The only problem with that though is that your friends will all die and change, so when you go back to your family your friends won't be around, and your boss, coworkers, and whoever will be gone. So, any relationships you had built might not exist anymore. I think it's too hard to just have one family not be affected by story progression and have the rest of the communty be affected.
  • HippieMama2HippieMama2 Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2009
    Dell is a brand of pc.

No y chromosome needed,lol!
  • CYLONVAMPCYLONVAMP Posts: 93 Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you. :)
  • JPWritingJPWriting Posts: 279 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you, SimGuruLyndsay.

I had faith you all would come through for us.
  • veggiveggi Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2009
    I appended the target with –disablestoryprogression and it gives me an error when I try to use the shortcut.
    "Unable to start game
    Error code 282"

This is how the target under properties looks now:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe" -disablestoryprogression

If I put the tag inside the quotation marks, I get an error. If I put it outside with no space, I get an error.

I am using Windows Vista. Is this the cause of my problem?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ShaprepenrShaprepenr Posts: 123 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I would hate to get rid of story progression because it's such an amazing feature. But can you please fix some of the issues in the latest patch? I find it kind of odd how my Sim's girlfriend has a Child (not baby) when she's single.
  • CwoTaniCwoTani Posts: 46 New Member
    edited June 2009
    What is the story progression for and is it any different than playing the game the way it starts off when u 1st play the sims?
  • mrtauntaunmrtauntaun Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    - As YOUR Sims get new jobs, other Sims in the neighborhood may have their careers reassigned to become your boss or co-workers.

Even user made sims? Hope this is also patchable. It would be annoying to come back to another sim to find out all the job progress is lost.
  • BattsknoxBattsknox Posts: 1,133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Got it, bypass the launcher! :wink: AWESOMENESS with the workaround for now.
    Quick question, if we bypass the launcher will all our ALREADY installed content (the cars, exchange, & store items) still be there? I assume so, but well that gets me in trouble sometimes, LOL
    THANKS FOR THIS! :mrgreen:
  • fllnanglsw22fllnanglsw22 Posts: 57 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This isn't working for me. Windows keeps telling me that this isn't a valid target name.
  • SophLady24SophLady24 Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This isn't working for me. Windows keeps telling me that this isn't a valid target name.

The same here.
  • RorshockRorshock Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you but try to find a workaround for macs soon please! I don't want to need to worry about losing more sims then I already have! I appreciate this though, I really do, but please try to find a workaround for macs!

Thanks so much! :D
  • littlelu07littlelu07 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hi All – I’ve seen many conversations popping up about our game feature called Story Progression and the fact that the option to turn it off doesn’t work. We’ve been investigating this and have found that the toggle is not doing what it was intended to do. We are working to address this asap but in the meantime there is a workaround for PCs.

For PC:
    1) Find your game executable. It should be here: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
    4) In the top line “Target:” go to the end of the line and add this tag –disablestoryprogression
    5) From this point on you will need to run your game from this shortcut and NOT through your launcher.

I realize this is a certainly not ideal but it will address the issue while we are working on a real fix.

I also want to mention that there are a few events that can still occur even if story progression is completely off.

- Lyndsay

I can't find my game executable :?
  • velcroshoesvelcroshoes Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited June 2009
    littlelu07 wrote:

For PC:

- Lyndsay

I can't find my game executable :?

Same here :?
  • cassius25cassius25 Posts: 91 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'll just wait on the patch..
  • crimsonsunsets22crimsonsunsets22 Posts: 2,591 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yay for the workaround!

I wonder, in the future would there possibly be some way to more specifically tweak the story progression? Say you want all but 2 of the options included within story progression. Would it be possible to toggle on/off certain aspects of story progression, such as marriage, having/adopting kids, moving, etc?
  • jeremysipesjeremysipes Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2009
    :twisted: LoL sooo many computer illiterates. Well I guess instead of making fun of you I should attempt to help, eh? Alright To the person on page one who has the disable part listed after your exe. If I understand what you did right you just added that to the name of the exe? Or did you go into the properties of the shortcut and adjust it like the instructions said?

To those who can't find your executable XP or Vista? I am running XP since its superior for gaming applications, but the path "should" be the same. I have a vista notebook I could install it on later maybe just to check the path if thats where the problems stemming from, assuming someone else can't correct this for you. Just to verify you know its named "TS3"?