Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My biggest gripe about Seasons:

Screenshot-36.jpg

Normal teen in the screenshot above, right? Wrong. Seasons ruined her life.

It is winter and she has not been to school yet. Snow day upon snow day plus the weekend. She's almost a YA and the prom is in a few days.

Why are snow days a problem?
-I will get penalized by the game as it denies me the chance to select a trait for her upon becoming YA.
-She has no high-school friends.
-No one to ask to the prom.
-No one to marry once YA. (forget finding a mate as YA, most sims in the game are almost elder, or almost dead.)
-No chance to become valedictorian, or to shine at after school activities anymore.

This isn't the first time this has happened in a legacy since I have Seasons, in another legacy of mine, all five kids got penalized for snow days.

Yes, I can shut off winter, or weather all together, but what was the point of buying seasons again? Hmm?

Snow days need a patch so that they only occur once a winter.

Comments

• Options
    daisy3rosedaisy3rose Posts: 160 Member
    edited December 2012
    I appreciate the heads-up on the snow days - I haven't played a family with kids since I installed Seasons.....hopefully EA will figure out a good fix for this.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    daisy3rose wrote:
    I appreciate the heads-up on the snow days - I haven't played a family with kids since I installed Seasons.....hopefully EA will figure out a good fix for this.

Yeah, one can hope. With a bit of luck I can have her graduate as a A-grade student, but the three days on the honor-roll are already impossible, so no valedictorianship for her.

Here's another thing. It starts snowing well before it becomes winter for real. You have snow throughout winter. In the picture it is almost half-way spring.

My heiress will have to spent a lot of time trying to find someone to marry if she doesn't come home from the prom with a boy/girl friend. Since she hasn't been to school yet since her birthday and thus knows nobody, I'm not very hopeful...
  • Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited December 2012
    Well that sucks for sure. I haven't fully explored seasons yet so thanks for the info.
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited December 2012
    I have a 15 day winter in my current main save. It's snowed almost every day and I haven't had a single snow day. I'm curious why some people seem to have nothing but snow days.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    EIisabetta wrote:
    I have a 15 day winter in my current main save. It's snowed almost every day and I haven't had a single snow day. I'm curious why some people seem to have nothing but snow days.

From my observation, it has to snow throughout the night. I rarely have a day that's dry anyway. It either rains, hails, thunders or snows.

I wanted weather, well, EA gave me weather. I don't really have a right to complain, though a frequency-slider would be good.

Snow days however, interfere with Generations too much to the tune of penalizing the Simmer. That has to change.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This is really interesting....EIisabetta hasn't had any snow days, but that's all you, LittleMinxUndr, have had....

I'm on a 7 day per season cycle, and in my game, it's done nothing but RAIN AND SLEET thru the fall....it didn't start snowing until the first day of winter, but it snowed constantly all winter long. It's now the first day of spring, and it started raining, the snow melted, but then it started snowing again - with accumulation.

I guess the seasons are going to behave randomly, and differently, for everyone....kinda like real life....?

A thought that might help your teen, LittleMinxUndr - boarding school? I know it's not ideal, because you don't actually get to play her thru her school time, but it could help when she ages up.
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited December 2012
    I've noticed in some of the threads people with constant rain have shortened their seasons (not all but it seems a common theme). There was some discussion about this earlier and they mentioned the second 'year' seemed better. Not having experienced it myself, I can only imagine how annoying it is.

Have you tried using testing cheats, then shift clicking on the ground and changing the weather manually? A pain but it might help. Other than that, I think Sims Asylum has mods that can help with some of it, for those who are inclined.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    daisy3rose wrote:
    This is really interesting....EIisabetta hasn't had any snow days, but that's all you, LittleMinxUndr, have had....

I'm on a 7 day per season cycle, and in my game, it's done nothing but RAIN AND SLEET thru the fall....it didn't start snowing until the first day of winter, but it snowed constantly all winter long. It's now the first day of spring, and it started raining, the snow melted, but then it started snowing again - with accumulation.

I guess the seasons are going to behave randomly, and differently, for everyone....kinda like real life....?

A thought that might help your teen, LittleMinxUndr - boarding school? I know it's not ideal, because you don't actually get to play her thru her school time, but it could help when she ages up.

Boarding school is a good idea, but it has several problems that make it not a good option for a heir(ess)of a legacy.
    -She will know nobody but her family.
    -She will be assigned traits randomly in the vein of the boarding-school.
    -She will not have any school achievements.
    -She will not have skilled up, or not much at all.
    -She will have had an education.

I use boarding-school mostly for my legacy kids who are disruptive, as a form of punishment. Some kids can really throw the household in disarray and in large families that's too much to content with. ^^
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Screenshot-37.jpg

Well, with the prom I lucked out at least. My heiress went alone and had to go under her own power, because she hadn't been to school yet, the limo didn't come for her. She was rejected for a dance so she decided to dance alone. This attracted a peer who was inpressed by her moves and my heiress discovered that she has feelings for girls. She was voted prom-queen soon after.

She is now romantically involved with a dark-skinned girl called Ann Ridley. This is why I'm so focused on my teens having a full high-school life, as they develop friendships they can take with them in their adult-lives without relying on the established Sims, who are always far too old to consider. As a side note, all three heiresses so far discovered they are lesbians in high-school. I have no problems with that, just thought it was funny, this gen had 3 homosexual kids!

Still, if it start snowing this gamenight and I get presented with another snow-day, I won't even be able to have her graduate with A-grades! o.0
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    daisy3rose wrote:

Boarding school is a good idea, but it has several problems that make it not a good option for a heir(ess)of a legacy.
    -She will know nobody but her family.
    -She will be assigned traits randomly in the vein of the boarding-school.
    -She will not have any school achievements.
    -She will not have skilled up, or not much at all.
    -She will have had an education.

I use boarding-school mostly for my legacy kids who are disruptive, as a form of punishment. Some kids can really throw the household in disarray and in large families that's too much to content with. ^^

Yeah, I know boarding school isn't ideal - I've never liked it for anyone I want to play into adulthood.....I am glad she got to the prom and made some friends. I hope you have even more luck with her in the future!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited December 2012
    Hi :D

Oh, no. Don't tell me we can't send them to school anyway (like in TS2) if they have a car... :(

Now that's depressing. I like the kids to go to school... for my quiet time (and to do their homework). :D
  • Options
    makinmagic58makinmagic58 Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2012
    Hmm. :/ I haven't fully explored Seasons yet but I will check that out~
  • Options
    TabithaRavenwoodTabithaRavenwood Posts: 771 Member
    edited December 2012
    I have had snow days in my game and the usually lasted for a little bit.
    The game is random no matter how much you try to control it..Unless you have a mod.

Also i noticed you have quite an issue with the game....Maybe you need to take a break or something from it if it causes you so much anguish.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2012
    Wierd that you have so many snow days. I have played through 6 generations since installing Seasons and have not had a single snow day yet. Other than reading about snow days here, I wouldn't have known that it was even a feature of the game.

I have schoolbuses canceled and have my kids either bike or drive (depending on their age); not sure if that is a factor.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    MyyybestfriendMyyybestfriend Posts: 1,404 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Yeah EA story progression is screwed, because no one populates and by the time you're in your 2nd or 3rd generation (depending on your life stage) everyone is old or dead. Twallans SP mod keeps my town thriving, so little snow days that throw my teens off from everything really isn't a big deal.
  • Options
    prelynmaxprelynmax Posts: 683 Member
    edited December 2012
    You could always SHORTEN the days for each season (for an example, a nautical year is about 12 days, but then again, my sims age different than default anyway).

MY gripe about Seasons are ALL THE UNHOLY GLITCHES AND MAJOR BUGS!

Error 12s everywhere, sims spinning when entering a doorway, crashing, crashing, crashing. How the heck did this expansion pack get past quality assurance?

EA was like, "Ooop, looks good, forget about the bugs, we will patch them later..." (or if we want to be really realistic, EA would be like "Bugs? What bugs? We are rich! We don't care about your problems!) "...just release the game NOW!"

Seasons has left this game unplayable. I cannot even play the game I paid for. What a shame. Been a simmer for 13 years.
    I have seen the tides of Simming shift from it's glory days to... whatever The Sims 4 is.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    prelynmax wrote:
    You could always SHORTEN the days for each season (for an example, a nautical year is about 12 days, but then again, my sims age different than default anyway).

MY gripe about Seasons are ALL THE UNHOLY GLITCHES AND MAJOR BUGS!

Error 12s everywhere, sims spinning when entering a doorway, crashing, crashing, crashing. How the heck did this expansion pack get past quality assurance?

EA was like, "Ooop, looks good, forget about the bugs, we will patch them later..." (or if we want to be really realistic, EA would be like "Bugs? What bugs? We are rich! We don't care about your problems!) "...just release the game NOW!"

Seasons has left this game unplayable. I cannot even play the game I paid for. What a shame. Been a simmer for 13 years.

Those glitches seem to happen with each EP, they just don't happen to everyone for every EP....my sims were spinning in doorways and my game crashed all the time when Pets came out, but I'm not having any problems with Seasons.

I have gripes with the glitching and bugs, too, but EA can't really anticipate every single issue with every single machine that's out there - because everything depends on your system, memory, graphics, etc....so they do need to see the glitches so they can fix them....
  • Options
    sunnydays44sunnydays44 Posts: 156 Member
    edited December 2012
    Have you tried sending the kids to school anyway? Some snow days I've clicked the "Go to school" button for the kids and they've ridden their bikes there themselves. Not sure if that always works, if it's a glitch, but it's worth a try.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2012
    Have you tried sending the kids to school anyway? Some snow days I've clicked the "Go to school" button for the kids and they've ridden their bikes there themselves. Not sure if that always works, if it's a glitch, but it's worth a try.

If the parents have a car, I think they can also drive the kids to school -- I remember they could in Sims 2 but I haven't tried that in Sims 3.

And don't worry about not having a boyfriend (or girlfriend) coming out of high school -- with the new attraction system your Sim is likely going to be deluged with date requests before long. :roll: And if they're real snow days, no other teens have been able to go to school so maybe she'll be valedictorian by default.

I haven't had any snow days in my games either, and I've played through several winters with different families with kids/teens. I've got my seasons set to the default 7 days, but my kids' ages a lot longer (14 days for child and 21 days for teens) so they have plenty of time to enjoy all the activities).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    interesting. i have several different types of saves, from legacy to goofy sims to well different ones.. in each i have different types of weathers that go from (all 7 day weather types) snow thru winter with from 1 to 4 days of snow days, depending on how long i go. some times none, and well it all depends, as for who one might meet or not meet at school, omg , get out of the house, meet sims at the park, the fun houses, the bars, etc. i meet kids of all ages everywhere i go.

of course i gotta say ea has a lousy story going, and i do use a mod for a growing town, rather than a stalemate one. But when it rains it pours , lol, ok jokeing, but still if you have to add a family across the street with kids that girls age, do so. or use a mod, and add them.. gives the town possiblities. Twallans mods do not harm the computer and they don't mess the game up. Well not being rude or mean, just saying that there are things to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sirona66 wrote:
    interesting. i have several different types of saves, from legacy to goofy sims to well different ones.. in each i have different types of weathers that go from (all 7 day weather types) snow thru winter with from 1 to 4 days of snow days, depending on how long i go. some times none, and well it all depends, as for who one might meet or not meet at school, omg , get out of the house, meet sims at the park, the fun houses, the bars, etc. i meet kids of all ages everywhere i go.

of course i gotta say ea has a lousy story going, and i do use a mod for a growing town, rather than a stalemate one. But when it rains it pours , lol, ok jokeing, but still if you have to add a family across the street with kids that girls age, do so. or use a mod, and add them.. gives the town possiblities. Twallans mods do not harm the computer and they don't mess the game up. Well not being rude or mean, just saying that there are things to do.

Absolutely. I use Twallan for the important stuff, but I also firmly believe that I play TS3 and not Twallan3. I do not look down on people using his entire suite by any means, but all the same, I feel that after having tried Twallan's Story-progression for a good while, it is intrusive and overbearing.

With Generations, a teen has enough opportunity to make friends and to secure a partner for life without Nraas-shenanigans. I had a generation of 8 kids who grew up during summer and all eight left the house married. I'm lucky with this winter-kid in the end, but that does not do away with a simple fact:

There are too many snow-days. Just one is a present, and you can do all kinds of fun things on extra day of fun.

Other than that, with generations, TS3 has given you the tools to find mates for simkids without the need of mods. Seasons more or less can throw a big grain of sand in the machinery.

In the case of Tiffany:
    Teen on wednesday evening.
    two snowdays.
    weekend.
    three snowdays.
    Prom.
    School-day. (had her strengthen the relationship she gained at the prom.)
    weekend.
    School-day.
    two snowdays.
    Festival-day. (Spring festival, searching eggs in a thick pack of snow.)

After that, it started to thaw and become spring proper, but gameplay-wise it isn't ideal.

In answer to another post: Yes, I have tried clicking "Go to School", but yeah, no dice. Glad it works for others though! Maybe it works next gen for me too. ^^
  • Options
    galaxyflier1galaxyflier1 Posts: 383 Member
    edited December 2012
    Wow! My sims only get one snow day if that. However, I do think that children shouldn't have their grades affected because of snow days or illness. They could always have extra homework like in real life. I don't like playing story progression, but I fill my sim towns with lots of different kinds of people and families. I let them age up when I'm ready for them to. You know, you might consider letting your sims have longer lives. In towns where I allow the game to age them, I let them have longer lives. Also, doesn't your sim meet people at the festivals?My sims are about town a lot going to festivals, movies, and the library.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited December 2012
    Maybe it's because I have Twallan Story Progression, and stopped the car pools and school bus, but my sims haven't had a snow day, no matter how bad the weather.

My gripe is that they have to go to school on the holidays, only the grown-ups get the day off.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited December 2012
    Off topic but I noticed your sim was wearing an outdoor outfit for her prom picture. Seems that could also be an annoying issue unless that was the prom outfit you chose for her.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited December 2012
    hAVE YOU CONSIDERED INCREASING HER aGE sPAN? i HAVE sEASONS SET FOR THE DEFAULT 7 DAYS AND i INCREASED ALL MY AGES SO NOW TEENS HAVE SOMETHING LIKE 60 DAYS FOR THEIR AGE.

Edit: My apologies for the caps!! I'm currently writing a report for university and I had my Caps Lock on!! Sorry!!