Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Fixed" greenhouse - no glass roof effect :(

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited December 2012
    Is there a new roof tile that comes with it now? (since the flat roof we have now has color)
    Nope, just any floor tile will do as it becomes invisible anyway once a greenhouse roof element is placed on it.

@FriedCheez: No need to become snotty. I was asking a legal question.
    I don't care about the plants getting wet but you know there's also furniture in the greenhouse. It's not okay when Sims sit on a couch, reading a book and it rains into that room!
    Moreover I play not one world only but 33!
    Replacing that lot everywhere with the change of seasons would be pretty much ANNOYING but I paid much money for that game in order to have FUN.
    And what if I plan to build greenhouses on residential lots?
    Would you suggest to evict every of those families when summer is over in order to replace the house with a "bad weather" version?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    evilsockladyevilsocklady Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2012
    MSladyTSO wrote:
    If tiles are required under the Greenhouse roof pieces for them to keep out snow and rain... wouldnt it work to just give us clear glass floor/ceiling tiles? That way we could have tiles under the Greenhouse pieces that would let light through. The tiles could have edges that show (metal-like), and/or they could be like the carpet tiles and create a seamless surface when laid down. I'd love to have glass tiles (yes I know I have said this buncha times) :)

The problem with this is while the tiles might look clear to you and I, they still wouldn't let light in.
    I think I read somewhere that windows don't actually let light in that cast shadows; floors would probably be the same way.

No matter what a floor tile looks like, it's still a floor tile, complete with all of a floor tile's properties.

Now... one day, in another expansion or patch if they decide to actually release a new type of thing, like a skylight... then we might be in business. Though depending on what it was, we might need to do a MOO to get it AND the roof piece on the same place.
    Also, just light having a TON of mirrors in a room seems to make things laggy (at least in my experience), having a ton of skylights under the greenhouse roof could probably cause the same thing.

But they've given us a lot of awesome stuff so far, so who knows what they'll come up with in the future.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,931 Member
    edited December 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Is there a new roof tile that comes with it now? (since the flat roof we have now has color)
    Nope, just any floor tile will do as it becomes invisible anyway once a greenhouse roof element is placed on it.

@FriedCheez: ...

Would you suggest to evict every of those families when summer is over in order to replace the house with a "bad weather" version?

If you want to get rid of (or add) the flat roof tiles when the season changes you don't need to evict anyone. All you need do is go into build mode and delete the roof and replace it again with or without the flat roof tiles in place. I think you will probably need to get rid of the roof decorations when you do this as you won't be able to see the flat roof tiles to delete them. It would be wise to take care doing the delete of the flat roof tiles as you could inadvertantly also delete things from the greenhouse below.

I have started putting the roof decorations temporarily in the family inventory to save having to buy new ones when I do this sort of thing. It costs simoleans to do this process as when you delete the existing roof pieces you get only part of what they cost back. They lose value when used. If you then have to repurchase them to get them back on the roof you have to pay full price for them.
  • Options
    MSladyTSOMSladyTSO Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited December 2012
    AznSensei wrote:
    MSladyTSO wrote:
    If tiles are required under the Greenhouse roof pieces for them to keep out snow and rain... wouldnt it work to just give us clear glass floor/ceiling tiles? That way we could have tiles under the Greenhouse pieces that would let light through. The tiles could have edges that show (metal-like), and/or they could be like the carpet tiles and create a seamless surface when laid down. I'd love to have glass tiles (yes I know I have said this buncha times) :)

We might just see that in the future, since they can sell tiles now through the Store.

Of course, they wouldn't give us free ones, like a normal business they'll probably sell it to us in the future.

I'd be happy to pay for them :)

• Options
    MSladyTSOMSladyTSO Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited December 2012
    MSladyTSO wrote:

The problem with this is while the tiles might look clear to you and I, they still wouldn't let light in.
    I think I read somewhere that windows don't actually let light in that cast shadows; floors would probably be the same way.

No matter what a floor tile looks like, it's still a floor tile, complete with all of a floor tile's properties.

That could be true - I see what you are saying. But I'd still so love to have them for a lot of reasons even if they didnt help with this situation. Wouldnt it be nice to be able to construct our own glass ceilings.

• Options
    evilsockladyevilsocklady Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2012
    MSladyTSO wrote:
    That could be true - I see what you are saying. But I'd still so love to have them for a lot of reasons even if they didnt help with this situation. Wouldnt it be nice to be able to construct our own glass ceilings.

Agreed, for sure.
    Completely clear tiles would also be a good way to avoid the unfinished room moodlet in greenhouses and keep the grass texture.

I know modders have made them or similar things, but an official one would be nice.